Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

fun hater posted:

where are these sexy lesbian comics anyway. uh asking for a friend

Moon Over June and Gunnerkrieg Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

fun hater posted:

perhaps i could clarify: i said 'sexy' and did not mention children at all
e: actually if youre getting off on gunnerkrigg court you should probably put yourself on a watch list of some sort

From the rate the thread was going, the Gunnerkrieg Court thread is probably 100% waifu chat by now, I'm sorry to say.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tollymain posted:

eglamore would make a good waifu

Eglamore is the bomb but something about that thread (and other places discussing GC last time I checked) going "Sword Waifu! Bird Waifu! Fire Waifu!" really rubbed me the wrong way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wasn't there a webcomic that ended with the author saying "gently caress it" and just writing out the rest of the story as one big text post?

Erfworld? I think that was an artist/writer pair thing and the artist left.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Psykmoe posted:

I'm angry at myself for having read Jack many years ago. I literally remember nothing about the plot, I just remember repulsive art and have a queasy feeling of unease when someone brings it up. I had hoped it doesn't exist anymore :v:

I think keenspot was still a thing where webcomics were when I quit reading it.

Keenspot is the one webcomic amalgamate where the head dude turned out to be a literal childgroomer, right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I wasn't sure if it was Keenspot, which is why I was asking. All I remember is that it was thinking "Wanting to interact with tons of webcomic people when almost everyone involved at the time was a teenager, what a surprise."

Yeah Hiveworks is the closest equivalent around and I don't think anyone uses the actual list part. Affiliates are a really 2000s internet thing. I don't think even Japanese websites have those anymore and those keep onto old trends forever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ronnie is funny in small doses. Read more than two or three and you realize that the joke is exclusively "ah ah look at the sad nerd" which stops being funny real fast.

I dunno it's cringe comedy but I don't get tired of it because you can tell Ronnie is a caricature of the author rather than something truly meanspirited.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I keep thinking Goodbye to Halos is that surreal artsy webcomic where the talking animals had their consciousnesses floating around their heads, but I think that had a much less intuitive title.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 14, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You mean Oren Otter or this thing?

I still have no loving idea what's supposed to be going on in that thing

Yeah, it's Nature of Nature's Art.

I actually think the title is kinda pretty but it's hard to connect to the comic itself.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah, and from the creator point of view, no matter how well adjusted, zen-like, and aware you are, you are still putting yourself in a pretty vulnerable place, by making something. It can still be really hurtful to see people mock something you've put your heart into. This doesn't mean things are above criticism, but we're not usually talking about people who can go sob on there giant piles of money here....

Well. Aaron Diaz probably gets a decent pile of money from Patreon alone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't think anyone's under the impression that America isn't racist as gently caress. I'm just really tired of Europeans using aloofness to excuse casual racism (aka the Humon defense)

I've noticed that European authors tend to use the "I don't see it as racist, maybe YOU are the real racists dundundun" argument. Getting into Games posting here but my favorite instance of this was when some European developer released a game on Steam that's literally "Slave Tetris".

Also I don't get why people are saying this thread is on a witch-hunt. Going "haha what a tool" is not really harsh discourse.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 23, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

mr. stefan posted:

Actually the vast majority of modern fantasy works approach magic in an extremely clinical and technical way that involves a shitload of obtuse rules and inevitably descends into power level horseshit, because "magic as science" is the exact kind of overtrod idea that has attracted the attention of incredibly tiresome genre writers for decades. I blame DnD and Jack Vance, personally.

Yeah rule based magic is in fuckin everything and I think the last writer to really have a "magic is just magic" approach was Tolkien?

edit: I guess what really cheeses me off is that despite appearing in fuckin everything it gets treated as subversive each time, by both the author and the fans.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 17, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Wittgen posted:

Name of the Wind has both rule based magic and "magic is just magic" magic. Game of Thrones magic isn't really the focal point, but it seems to be just magic. At the very least, everyone, even the people performing the magic, understand it so poorly that it might as well be. Harry Potter's magic doesn't seem to follow any rule or reason.

AFAIK Harry Potter is implied to have some underlying system for its magic (which is why there's a literal school for it), it's just that all the POV characters are middle schoolers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Bravo posted:

Noted webcomic: The Lord of the Rings.

I only mentioned it to bring up how old it is darn it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I'm getting multiple webcomics confused again, is Strong Female Protagonist the one about someone whose sister is a famous superhero and I think has black and white drawings? And if it is, I'm guessing the plot drifted a lot since then.

As someone whose only exposure to it is what's been linked, I thought the art is surprisingly good, but the dialogue is distinctly in that "not trying to write a character anymore" territory.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I forgot to say this the first time but as someone who never read the comic it should have been a bad sign that the Patreon linked on Blaster Nation's website was named Rock Cocks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't that life for us all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Vibe had a great art style but otherwise this thread seemed kinda down on it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

HorseRenoir posted:

It's hard to sympathize with someone who keeps intentionally burning bridges and driving people away instead of getting help.

Yeah, we're all observing from the outside as goons and it doesn't really matter what comments we fling at each other, but imagine being an actual friend who would be concerned over this poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

food court bailiff posted:

Campbell's not the guy who draws himself as a bear, is he?

That's Dobson.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

you know what, yeah, it has a lot of the same "wtf" death spiral traits deegan did, and it's definitely the same kind of poo poo mookie is interested in doing since he's basically writing SFP in space now but with more dull laser fights and less meandering hand-wringing

I didn't want to say it but yeah, it's not surprising that goons are tearing into the comic since they finally have a series that consistently updates with terribleness instead of "10% bad, 90% boring slice of life".

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

khy posted:

Selling them as books sure, but I haven't encountered a great many who take it down so book form is the ONLY way it's available.

Someone spoil the ending for me?

Nimona is another example of a webcomic where most of it was taken off when it got printed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Is...is this a reverse Dresden Codak thing, where every woman turned from petite to ripped once the artist discovered his fetish for muscular women?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tollymain posted:

so outside the gimmick which webcomics do you like lamp

Kill Six Billion Demons unless that avatar is one of those ironic/bought for them avatars.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Avshalom posted:

the k6bd thread just got closed and i'm going to take my wrath out on this thread. you ship of fools

Wait do you mean closed because it was massively lovely or something else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

I tried reading Camp Weedonwantcha a while back but honestly it felt like a really uneven 90s nick cartoon... if nick let its kid's shows get away with graphic displays of gore and just-offscreen child death as punchlines. I got up to the origin story comic for GIR-girl and felt like a pretty abrupt attempt at injecting serious pathos into a comic. It doesn't help that it only seemed to have three punch lines: haha piss/poop/barf, haha the kids are going feral from neglect, or haha someone died in an unfortunate way. Maybe I'll try it again to see if it gets better though

I read Camp Weedonwantcha a long while back and loved it for the same reasons. It's one of the only webcomics to make me actually laugh out loud because it has a really good sense of comedic timing, idk I'm not a sequential artist expert so I don't know how you word that in drawing form. I think some people in this thread are being unfair at calling the longer storylines serious webcomic drama a la Willis because they still are based around the insecurities that a kid would have (I mean, it is named Weedonwantcha). I dropped it kinda for no reason because I am bad at keeping up with webcomics. I should pick it up again.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 11, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

PMush Perfect posted:

"Promote or enable monetary transactions". The Hayes Code called, they want their inanity back.

I think this is just an odd way of wording no advertisements mid-comic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gutter Owl posted:

I...I don't think they were necessarily looking for sex comics, dude.

Uh.
I was wondering if I missed something or if I'm just out of touch with kids these days.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Crocoswine posted:

it's all AU and roleplayers pretend loving each other now

much like Undertale

Undertale kind of went insane for the exact opposite reason where the actual content was so limited and short people had to get their fix from 50x layers of skeleton AUs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Straight White Shark posted:

Ok, I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but: what is the appeal of Poppy in general supposed to be? Enough people in this thread won't shut up about it that I gave it a read and it's decent-to-good, but I really don't see the hype. Did this thread just turn into a giant furry honeypot or something?

It started when every other goon-liked webcomic got exiled from this thread because they got their own threads.

Then people stopped making new webcomic threads because they realized somehow it invariably either causes the discussion or the webcomic itself to turn to poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons is still :perfect: :colbert:

Didn't that thread end up exploding because people got really mad the main character got a love interest? Or something like that?

I'll read KSBD someday I swear.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there some law somewhere that says every webcomic about video games has to have an obligatory "G-g-g-girls play cool games too!?!?" strip with exactly this level of tact

I don't think Awkward Zombie or Manly Guys ever did that, though that's probably because both are made by women.

Edit: wait, Samantha? Then I don't even know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You know what this single strip might be a more overanalyzed cat comic than Calvin and Hobbes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Wrist Watch posted:

You aren't technically wrong, but people don't really refer to comics with sprite art as sprite comics unless they're using sprites from games, either wholesale like Bob and George or 8 Bit Theater or heavily modified like MS Paint Masterpieces. I usually hear people describe something like Diesel Sweeties as using pixel art, rather than as a sprite comic for example.

Like, by your definition technically the majority of Homestuck is a sprite comic.

I agree with you but Homestuck has sprites for each character that exist to be copy-pasted and slightly modified so it kinda does have an argument to being a sprite comic (when it's not being an flash game/anime/whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Burkion posted:

Man why did I read that

To sum up, you cannot both love your profession and also be famous

Because no one who loves what they do is also famous for doing it ever

I thought this post was about 177776. It sounds like a Jon Bois line.

• Locked thread