Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

operative lm posted:

An amazing read and an awesome looking snake man.

Blind Sally posted:

More interesting info

Thanks much you two. I will add these into that main page post. I had no idea about the cut content and only a vague recollection of exactly how The Primagen got to where he was. I do talk about Oblivion a bit in the video after this one, but I only know the barest of info about him/her/it. I can remember the first couple mins or Turok 3 barely, 4 of the weapons, and that there are 2 playable characters with differing paths . Nothing else beyond that. I am happy to hear that there used to be a stronger Shadowman/Turok connection. Have a video.

Episode 19 - The Final Vent: A Stolen LP Tale]

Blind Sally posted:

Dulcet Voice

:thumbsup:

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only post-Halo FPS games that I can think of with health pickups are Resistance 3 and Doom 2016. What a concept, eh?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Serious Sam 3 kept it up, didn't it? Also, Half-Life 3 will have non-regenerating health (keep reaching for that rainbow, Valve, never give up hoooooope!!!). Oh, and I believe F.E.A.R. only had limited health regen if you go below 25%. There's also indie titles, like Tower of Guns, and mods, like Prospekt, that keep the dream alive. It's just much less prevalent.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Overwatch, Borderlands, Bioshock, and Wolfenstein TNO all have health pickups.

Inco fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 6, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

get that OUT of my face posted:

The only post-Halo FPS games that I can think of with health pickups are Resistance 3 and Doom 2016. What a concept, eh?

Technically it does, but in practice the motor of DOOM's health economy is aggression/glory kills; the pickup are just a sideline, when they're not totally irrelevant.

I'm not trying to be anal about this- I think it's an important distinction because it makes you approach combat in a completely different way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Technically it does, but in practice the motor of DOOM's health economy is aggression/glory kills; the pickup are just a sideline, when they're not totally irrelevant.

I'm not trying to be anal about this- I think it's an important distinction because it makes you approach combat in a completely different way.
When you put it that way, it's the complete opposite of an FPS with regen health. Instead of regaining health by camping out in a corner and waiting, you get it by getting your hands dirty. No pain, no gain!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I completely forgot about Borderlands and BioShock. Which is very surprising to me has Bioshock is one of my personal favorite games and Borderlands 2 I just played like a week ago. Since you mentioned OverWatch I guess that means we can add Team Fortress 2 to the list as well. I really do need to play the resistance series at some point but my roommate is the one with the PS3 and I've never particularly liked buying games for other people systems. Even though I already bought Demon's Souls for that system like 2 years ago and haven't played it yet.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

re: Health Packs.

From what I've seen, most games that do Health Packs tend to be primarily Single-Player or trace their roots back there, like Team Fortress does. This (to me) is because finding medkits is supposed to be part of the challenge, making it from enemy pack to enemy pack and rationing supplies.

The games that do regenerating health are primarily multiplayer. Here, you want to be able to get back into the action after a scrap ASAP.

TF2/Overwatch circumvent that, because unless your character is meant to go behind enemy lines (where you're operating in Single Player mode), you need to go back to your game's mad scientist Herr Doktor to get patched up.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 20 - The Blind One

We bring the Lair of the Blind Ones to a close with a rather odd fight where the environment attacks us. And I get confused by the Acclaim guide I had as a child. Also this is the absolute most apt quote for this species.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
"Golden Eye," as far as I'm aware, is a fan name, perhaps coined on a GameFAQs guide. Not entirely sure, but I have seen the name there. The boss is officially known as The Blind One. I changed it on the wiki a while back, but I guess I didn't get to it in time for the recording. :v:

Primagen, the Flesh Eaters, and Oblivion were created for the games; the comics didn't originate them but did have loose tie-ins/adaptations close to each game's release.

And from a prior video, just because I just recently caught up with the thread, Joshua Fireseed is Tal'Set's great-great-great-great-grandson in the comics. The games have a slightly different timeline, so who knows what their relationship is here.

Props for getting through this level in one piece. I think I said it wayyy earlier, but this was the reason I never finished this game without cheat codes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Nuke is a good way to get rid of Primagen's little flying drone fuckers easily enough at the very least.

I mean you can only do it 3 or 4 times so get good and kill him fast i guess :v:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

operative lm posted:

"Golden Eye," as far as I'm aware, is a fan name, perhaps coined on a GameFAQs guide. Not entirely sure, but I have seen the name there. The boss is officially known as The Blind One. I changed it on the wiki a while back, but I guess I didn't get to it in time for the recording. :v:

Primagen, the Flesh Eaters, and Oblivion were created for the games; the comics didn't originate them but did have loose tie-ins/adaptations close to each game's release.

And from a prior video, just because I just recently caught up with the thread, Joshua Fireseed is Tal'Set's great-great-great-great-grandson in the comics. The games have a slightly different timeline, so who knows what their relationship is here.

Props for getting through this level in one piece. I think I said it wayyy earlier, but this was the reason I never finished this game without cheat codes.

Maybe Gamefaqs is where I got it from.

I finished the gameplay for the next level. Sooooo much better paced.

It's weird how big of a disconnect there was between games and comics considering they were owned by the same company.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Have a couple of bonus updates while I record commentary (likely solo since scheduling is kinda tricky sometimes). The first one is the an explanation of how multiplayer works and a showcase of the weapons. The second was the result of me convincing my girlfriend to play multiplayer with me. The few games she plays are puzzle/rhythm games on her phone, and Mario 3, so that should give an idea of her expertise.

Bonus 1 - Multiplayer Explained (I think)

Bonus 2 - Semi-active Multiplayer Showdown

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah cool, I thought PETA killed you in your sleep.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something you can do in multiplayer that you didn't show:

level select cheats! So, you can play the campaign as a raptor, or co-op it with a friend.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So what was your missus first reaction when you proposed this to her?

Also I imagined the raptor differently, but I'm probably getting it mixed up with the raptor in Rage Wars.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I'm not going to ask what the price of that was, so instead, I'll mention a few things about Turok 2 multiplayer with experience based on the extensive knowledge I have on the subject three or four times I've played it with multiple people. :v:

Maps:
H 2 Whoa! and the teleporter map are the most interesting of the bunch by far; with H2 having magic walls of water, and the other map being laced with teleporters to make things a little more exciting. The rest aren't memorable and are usually halves of a mirror image.

Game modes:
Just like the real-life school-recess version of the game, Frag Tag is awful and not fun with only two players. It's actually fun with three players, and becomes a blast with four players. Non-monkey players can kill the other players too (eliminating the well-armed competition!) but receive no points. Same story with Team Blood, but it's only fun with a full house of four players.

Characters:
General notes - Outside of innate abilities like movement speed, health, and regeneration, the size of the character model dictates the size of their hitboxes. There's a setting that disables innate abilities, making everyone the same speed and health with no regeneration. Size is still a factor, though, and the Raptor does not change.

Joshua Fireseed has no notable abilities other than being "average". He'll be used as a comparative baseline.
Adon has fast regeneration, is the 2nd fastest in movement, but has the lowest health. She'll recover 1hp/3sec. Also suffers from "Oddjob" syndrome, being about a full head shorter than Joshua.
Triceratops "I even impress myself! :downs:" Man moves slightly faster than Joshua and is also slightly taller. Also comes with slow regeneration (1hp/5sec). He has lower HP to compensate, and also has a larger 'headshot' hitbox.
Flesh Eater moves only a little slower than Joshua, and has more HP. It's a much bigger target though, so the extra hp doesn't account for that much.
Purr-Linn is the biggest, slowest, and has the highest HP at 140. Other than that, it's nothing special, and it's painfully slow.
The Developer Insert is the same as Joshua.
The Entrail and Fireborn are exactly the same, just different colors. Innates might be a little different than Joshua, I don't actually remember.
Tal'Set has more HP, and is a little taller than Joshua. Otherwise the same.
The Campaigner is...I don't actually remember due to him never being picked.
Raptor is actually quite a strong pick -- possibly even "overpowered" if multiplayer were to have taken off to a competitive level. It is the fastest playable character, and while the talons don't do much damage, by leaping around and at other players, you can get easy headshots for high damage. Incidentally, this makes a Raptor extremely hard to hit with anything if they're good enough to get close and stay close.

Weapons:
Crossbow is the default weapon. It does good damage on headshots. Infinite ammo, but Tek Arrows aren't available in multiplayer.
Assault Rifle is equivalent to a Mag .60, or the AR from Turok 1. It's a hitscan weapon, so the bullets will instantly arrive on their target. Recoil makes it difficult to hit with the full burst.
Charge Dart Rifle doesn't have a charge-up ability and bounces off walls as demonstrated. It massively degrades movement performance, impairs your ability to actually see anything with the red damage notification, and does damage-over-time throughout the entire electrocution. It's also a hilarious way to kill someone, making them spazz-out to death. Extremely fast and unpredictable.
Plasma Rifle is exactly the same as single-player, but the change from a beam to a ball-like projectile means it isn't hitscan like it is in solo-play.
The Cerebral Bore is not a one-shot kill gun as shown, but it does a ton (60? 80? Somewhere around there) damage on a successful hit. It's enough to kill Adon instantly, and will severely damage everyone else.
Grenade Launcher is exactly the same as in single-player, but I think it has a higher ammo capacity.
Firestorm Cannon hasn't been shown in single-player yet, but the difference was noted in video -- it has a spin-up time that gets removed in multiplayer. It's also an extremely weak weapon that the rate of fire is supposed to compensate for. It does not do this unless it consistently makes headshots. It takes the same ammo as the Plasma Rifle.
Mini Scorpion Launcher also hasn't been shown in single-player, and behaves very differently too. The much-larger cousin is coming soon; it's likely the change was made to have the obligatory "rocket launcher" weapon.

Underwater shares the same limitations as in single-player; except only the Raptor has a melee weapon.
Instead, the Harpoon Gun functions similarly to the Crossbow.
The Torpedo Launcher behaves exactly the same; including the movement capabilities of holding it.

Aside:
You can tell they really wanted Multiplayer to take off, saving your data to take to your friends' and accumulating a history of frags, wins, loses, and tags. It improved significantly for the third game, which was further refined into Rage Wars...which failed to take off and get 'big' enough for most players to care about.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Minty posted:

Something you can do in multiplayer that you didn't show:

level select cheats! So, you can play the campaign as a raptor, or co-op it with a friend.

Indeed you can, but the game crashes the instant you go through a portal sooooo not much fun to be had there unless you like doing the boss fights i guess?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I find it kind of odd that, with 90s memory limitations and all, they decided multiplayer needed its own set of weapons.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Thank God I never put up what schedule I would attempt to adhere myself to.

Episode 21 - Hive of the Mantids

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Turok: Corporate Raider

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

These fleas need it. Someone has to speak up on their behalf. I've stood in the picket line for days on end before yelling slogans such as "Fleadom does not equal freedom" and "Biting the heads off of your subordinates is not the same as a write-up".

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Those Mantid Drones look like the most annoying regular enemy so far, they are just short enough that when they run around they get below your aim and they are spindly too so you end up shooting past their limbs too. The Soldiers seemed similarly annoying since they move pretty fast too, but at least they are a huge target and like to stick their face out front when deploying the shoulder cannons.

Finally the best gun! The Firerstorm just chews through anything under the crosshairs in seconds.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Soundtrack is great again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81KwNAttQYk

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Firestorm Cannon looks like a more effective minigun and the Plasma Rifle's non-sniper fire is just the Alien Weapon from Turok 1. I know what I'd use more.

Those Mantid Drones do look annoying. They go more for less damaging but quicker attacks rather than one obnoxiously powerful shot like the Blind Ones use. At least the level layout looks more distinct.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for this. I love this game's music.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 22 - Unfair Working Conditions

Happy Thanksgiving to all that celebrate. To those that don't I hope you had something tasty anyway or a good time with friends/family.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What do you mean "unfair work conditions?" That's clearly a break room, the flashing pillar is the Mantid's equivalent of a disco ball, and those Mantids were busy getting funky. It's not all drudge work in the hive.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

That Flesh Eater Portal sure was 'boring' heh

Spudd fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 25, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

What do you mean "unfair work conditions?" That's clearly a break room, the flashing pillar is the Mantid's equivalent of a disco ball, and those Mantids were busy getting funky. It's not all drudge work in the hive.

Good stuff like this is why I prefer co commentary.

Spudd posted:

That Flesh Eater Portal sure was 'boring' heh

We would be good friends.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 25, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So when in the Mantid life cycle do they become turrets?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that's the larval stage. hth

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Turok 2 23 - Improving Workplace Relations With Fun and Humor

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

And another.

Episode 24 - Mantid Homeworld

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's strange to me that Hive of the Mantids is the first level that lets you get to the end portal without having been able to fully complete it's objectives first. With any of the other levels if you saw the portal and you missed something somewhere you have a moment of dread knowing you're gonna have to go back and search this big level for some little tiny part of it you missed.

Also i like the characterization of Joshua that he is basically Groot, but he DOES get dialog in the 3rd game's opening cutscene so i think that's kind out of the window. Although i still think he is pretty special considering how stupidly awesome a bit of that dialog is :v:. I honestly can't wait to see it, assuming you're going on to the third game after this is over.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Joshua Fireseed: another victim of subpar Oklahoma public education.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I see Palpatine was involved in some of the design of the Mantid Hive.

"What do you MEAN the ammo is in an easily accessible location? Move it to an island in the middle of molten lava, so that our troops needs to have good jumping ability or fine control over their jetpacks in order to reach it and not die in the lava."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

By the way, where's the kaboom? I was expecting a computer-blasting kaboom!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Yes I'm still planning on doing Turok 3.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I see Palpatine was involved in some of the design of the Mantid Hive.

"What do you MEAN the ammo is in an easily accessible location? Move it to an island in the middle of molten lava, so that our troops needs to have good jumping ability or fine control over their jetpacks in order to reach it and not die in the lava."

That's how they know who the true Stormtroopers are. If you can't make it to the weapons you're fired.

By the way, where's the kaboom? I was expecting a computer-blasting kaboom!

It's a very underwhelming explosion. Like the wet fart of explosions.

Also I can't remember if it was in an earlier recording or a scrapped one. (Believe it or not I had ones more boring than this.) Does anyone else think the Aliens from the first game were Mantid Drones? They look quite similar to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 25 - For The Royalty

• Locked thread