Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I've had windows 10 installed on my system for about half an hour now, and why does some of the font rendering look like garbage? I mean, some of it looks fine, then I go into device manager and UGH what the gently caress, it's a blurry mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Because it IS a blurry mess. Because you have scaling over 100% and some windows get rendered at 100% and stretched.

You probably don't use Device Manager enough for it to be a dealbreaker, but yeah how the hell did they not catch that.

But you're right how the hell did they not update the Management Console to be scale-aware.

It's pretty odd, but yeah I go in there once a month at most. I didn't even turn scaling on anyway, so I'm wondering why it was on by default. Just turned it off anyway, scaling sucks.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone know what would cause the windows 10 upgrade going from 7 to outright fail? I left the install running by itself and didn't mess with it, but after the upgrade was finished it kept coming up with this screen with a stupid sadface with a message that said something like "attempting to recover your windows installation". After trying that a few times and failing it just rolled back to my windows 7 install. The gently caress?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

For some reason ever since the "creators update" I've had two random shutdowns, which is extremely odd. It's entirely new behaviour, with the first random shutdown happening not even an hour after the update finished installing. I tried to run a game, it just hanged for a while, then shut down. It was fine for a few days, then I got another a few hours ago, which happened after I paused a youtube video. It's very bizarre.

Anyone know if this is like a known issue with a fix? Or do I have to roll back?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Jan posted:

Sounds like it could be a STOP screen. Have you checked the Event Viewer?

There's 2 errors, both which just say "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Usually this sort of behaviour might be a dying power supply, but it's strange that it started happening immediately after this creators update, and I can run really system intensive stuff and nothing happens. The shut downs appear to be random.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Why is HDR display support under the "creators update" such dumb bullshit? It worked fine before. Resident Evil 7 for example has an HDR mode built in, before the creator's update you just had to select the HDR mode and it'd switch over and everything was seamless and simple. Now you can't just toggle it in game, you gotta tab out, go into display settings, enable it, then it enables in-game but for some reason if you switch the toggle in the game itself it completely screws up the image (but appears to be working anyway? but all the brightness settings are locked behind that toggle so you have to enable it and you can't configure the brightness because the image is completely hosed). It's loving baffling. Is there a way to change it back to how it used to work?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

redeyes posted:

there is an off button for the HDR mode.. dunno if it helps. I can't get it to do anything useful when its on.

That's what I mean though, before there was no on or off button in windows, you'd just turn on HDR in a game, and the TV would switch over to HDR and the graphics driver changed the display to the right colour space (which at 4k is 4:2:2 chroma). But now in order to enable HDR, you have to manually set the TV to 4:2:2 chroma, turn the HDR toggle one, then go into the game. This has the side effect of loving your ability to calibrate the brightness settings in like Resident Evil 7 for example.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Kind of a weird dumb little question, but does anyone know how I can force icon text to be white with a black outline? It's confusing because when I boot my computer up, the text on desktop icons are just purely black, which combined with my wallpaper is barely legible. But in the process of using my computer it switches to white with a black outline on its own? I'd like it to stay at that so I can actually read the icon text. Like I said it's just a little thing, but I can't seem to find a setting for this.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well I'm another victim of this windows update as well it looks like. I'm getting power state error BSODs and looking up what's causing it just shows the hardware abstraction layer being the culprit so that's useless, and my audio interface has suddenly stopped working so that's probably the cause. Worked perfectly fine before the update, however. I'm trying to at least get windows to recognise the device so I can uninstall the drivers and try getting it to work, but no matter what I do I just get nothing. Tellingly when I hit scan for hardware changes in device manager it just sits there scanning forever doing nothing and I have to force it closed with task manager.

My audio interface is kinda loving important so I'm kinda livid right now.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2018

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Just grabbed my laptop to double check it's not a problem with the actual audio interface hardware itself, and nope, works fine. Drivers installed without a hitch and I'm getting audio out of it.

Except not on my desktop. I kinda need my audio interface to work on my desktop. Like a lot.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd reinstall tbh.

Yeah, looks like that's the only solution at the moment. Fantastic.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Can you uninstall/remove it in device manager? And then reboot? (Maybe by doing View > Devices By Connection if it's not showing up where it should)

Safe mode might help too

So I checked device manager again clicking view devices by connection like you said, and it still wasn't there, but then I noticed there's a view hidden devices button, which finally showed up the USB audio interface. And for some reason, the device is listed twice. And attempting to uninstall the drivers did nothing, it just stalled for ages.

Oh also fun fact that I just found out trying to make a recovery drive, USB external drives don't work on my desktop now either! Something seriously screwed up happened with this update. Thankfully I have a laptop I can use for that but still, if I didn't I'd be poo poo outta luck.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 22, 2018

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao, holy loving poo poo, I unplugged my PS3 controller I had connected by USB since I use it for emulators and stuff, since I needed a USB port for a spare keyboard since the one I had plugged in wasn't working properly for some reason, and immediately my PC bluescreened and rebooted. After I got back in to windows, my audio interface worked, external drives started working again, everything seems to work fine.

What the gently caress.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah but you don't get like, DX12 and UWP games...you could be playing...recore...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

astral posted:

If it wasn't already obvious, update or uninstall whatever drivers/software you installed to use the ps3 controller in Windows.

That's the thing, I didn't install anything, it was just the default windows poo poo. The emulators I use it with just support direct input so I wasn't using some weird janky xinput wrapper with it or anything.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

fishmech posted:

Default Windows definitely doesn't support an unmodified legit PS3 controller. Are you actually using a third party controller?

I'm pretty drat certain it's a legit controller (got it with my ps3 like 11 years ago or something). I just plugged it in, and device manager recognised it and installed some drivers, and bam off we go. Like I said only direct input APIs are supported with that thing though, no xinput.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

fishmech posted:

If it's working as a plain DirectInput device, you installed some software and drivers in the past. Normally, Windows can see that the controller is there on USB or Bluetooth, but it won't do anything except with software specifically designed, to make it go into a DirectInput mode requires third party software or third party alternate drivers.

I didn't install drivers for this thing and I've never used it until a couple days ago, I dunno what to tell you man.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Flagrama posted:

Someone at some point installed 3rd-party drivers. I even plugged my DS3 into my computer with a clean install of 1803 just now just to be sure. Even applications that can see the controller do not receive any input from any of the buttons.

If that's the case I would love to track down these drivers and delete them, but I can't seem to find them, I can't find them in the device manager list, it's not hidden either.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Flagrama posted:

I'm not too familiar with DS3 driver installation. Maybe this will work: https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit/wiki/Manual-driver-removal

None of this guide seems to apply to me, plus windows has stopped recognising the controller when I plug it in so I can't remove the drivers even if I wanted to. It's also causing bluescreens when I unplug it like I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Honestly that sounds less like "drivers" and more like you (or someone) installed some hacky thing that no longer hacks right, and it's hooked in deep enough to take the whole system down. You probably need to work out what that software is and chase that up - maybe just reinstalling it will fix things (say if the Windows update overwrote something important)

You may be right, but I haven't the foggiest idea what that could be. I'm generally not the type of dude to install hacky weird bullshit, and I'm careful about avoiding the more dodgy areas of the internet. I'm not like googling "playstation 3 controller drivers" and just hitting download on the first thing or anything.

It would be easy to fix all this if I could just get windows to recognise the controller when I plug it in, but I get nothing. It continues to just scan for hardware changes forever finding nothing when I plug it in.