Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just once I want to find a program or app in Windows 10 where the "help" icon does not simply launch the browser to a Bing search result for "How do I get help in Windows 10". Completely loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Upgraded a clean install of Windows 7 with an older AMD GPU, whyen I right click the desktop and choose display settings I get:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I would. The abrupt reboots will get no better with a paid license. Nvidia driver updates are still going to interrupt you with screen blanking. And you can still choose to defer the update by a week if you are not a frequent rebooter.

The one tangible parent-PC issue is resetting file associations. But the pace of updates has slowed down and giving it a solid month to trial before purchase is better than buying a boxed copy and then having a cranky parent turn around demand a retro-function start menu, taskbar and compatibility with some awful, incompatible Better Homes & Gardens Weather Forecasting program that they suddenly cannot live without that will not run on more than 32bit 7.

I find it difficult to believe that Windows 10.1 pre-pre-Alpha is more stable than Windows 10 RTM.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

redeyes posted:

Funny thing, about 4-6 months before RTM, some of the insider builds were far far better than the RTM when we are talking the start menu. It got FAR worse. Also I never had issues with store apps back then. I'm sure changes to the store after that borked everything.

Doesn't really matter anyhow. That ship sailed.

All I remember from my time on insider preview was a lot of little poo poo breaking and/or changing constantly. :confused:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
WTF KB3035583 was re-released as a critical update 10/5. I tried Win 10, I felt it wasn't ready, and my job doesn't want people to run it yet. I already had to reformat my PC to get Windows 10 off and go back to 7 and hide the update. Now thanks to the re-release, this morning when I opened windows update I was only greeted to a "Start upgrading to Windows 10 now!" This is a seriously lovely roll out strategy for business users.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Something something. . "you provide an updated copy of Windows 7 (or 8), we will provide the work software (Libre Office)".

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lum posted:

I'm a full-time home worker. My laptop was set up by IT to only be able to get updates from their server, not from Microsoft.

It only ever sees an update if I visit one of our sites.

Because of this I haven't had a security update in 3 months and since I'm not allowed to get them from Microsoft there's gently caress-all I can do about it.

You just made me feel better about my company's IT department, where there is no WSUS.

Have you submitted a ticket yet? :haw:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have to reinstall my operating system, Win 10 Pro Aniversary 64bit. I have a digital license, it is not associated with a Microsoft account. Will this gently caress me over during a reinstall? Considering my system is screwed pretty bad at this point, I don't have any faith in the built in "reinstall" feature, will that effect my activation? If I sell my soul to the devil link my license to a Microsoft account, will Windows harass me into storing all my poo poo on OneDrive?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
1hr 45min in on a 2.5hr makeMKV rip and Windows 10 Home is smart enough to not abandoned ship for an extremely unimportant update, right?? Hahahaha gently caress this poo poo. Will obtaining a 10 Pro license make this less miserable? Is there any better software out there for ripping Blu-ray?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Crazy idea: don't ignore the "you need to restart your PC or we will do it for you" notice forever.
No actually I usually like updating windows, I let my desktop automatically update at 3am every patch Tuesday, check periodically in between, and check the shut down menu daily to see if it wants the install updates. I have never had an issue with updates interrupting me on my always on desktop with 10 Pro. The laptop on the other hand, doesn't have the luxury of running 24/7 for 3am updates, instead it gets shutdown and rebooted far more often thus having more chances to conveniently install updates. To say this is my fault for ignoring update messages forever is simply not true as the laptop wasn't even running for multiple hours. The laptop had plenty of chances to install updates when convenient, I try to run updates and reboot it often, I find it hard to believe this is not a poor decision in Win 10 Home update management.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I can't use my touch pad while typing. Google said to open the synaptics settings and disable smart sense, which I did. Also recommended was to disable palm check, I could not find that setting anywhere. I have also noticed that disabling the hide cursor vwhen typing didn't make any change. I rebooted the laptop after applying the changes, but in my opinion it feels like windows might be ignoring the synaptics settings? Is this a known windows 10 issue? I have noticed on a couple Google searches people have mentioned disabling smart sense not working on windows 8.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I read an article on can't that said windows uodste is going to start reserving 7GB of space, and it is a feature that can be turned off if necessary. Is this true, or is it a good idea to turn off this feature? I'm fine with leaving 7GB of free space on my SSD, I just kinda dislike the idea of reserving the space for the rare large update.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I made the mistake of not doing clean install of Windows when I got my new laptop and now every day it gets harder to pull the trigger.

Never don't install fresh Windows ASAP
I kept the OEM install on an HP laptop that I gave to my mother in law, I kept it only because it came with an OEM copy of PowerDVD. When I tried watching a DVD on the laptop with VLC it stuttered and chugged along, but PowerDVD was smooth, so I actually really wanted that program. It took ages to decrapify the installation, is there any other way to keep the OEM copy of PowerDVD and do a fresh install on that laptop? I tried magic jelly bean to see if it could find any sort of key but it found nothing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Can you comprehend the meaning of the word "feature"? A feature update is just that, it doesn't add more security, it adds new and exciting features like bugs, and security holes! The creators update did some poo poo with the paint program or tried to make it easier to manage content, it didn't improve security, it improved ease of use. A security update is what keeps the operating system actually secure.

To put it another way, consider Ubuntu, you have an LTS like 15.04, then you have 15.10, 16.04, etc up until the next long term support release. 15.04 continues to get security updates the whole time up until the next LTS release, you could update to 15.10 and 16.04 in between but most people would say that is kinda stupid unless you just absolutely always want to have the most up to date bleeding edge (and buggy) software.

Or I can still choose to run Windows 7 for about another year until support finally ends, it is NOT getting any new features, but it is still getting security updates, same for Windows 8/8.1. A feature update is not the same as a security update.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

fishmech posted:

There is 0 reason to hold back on updates, period, unless a specific issue occurs.
Please explain why up until January this year, my main desktop was still on 1709 and receiving automatic security updates. Even Microsoft doesn't share your same enthusiasm for always updating. There is 1 big reason to hold off on updates, Microsoft's QA team, or lack thereof. Unless you like being a beta tester and enjoy having your My Documents folder deleted, Microsoft has proven that they are pretty incompetent.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

fishmech posted:

What's there to explain? You refused to update your computer for no good reason, I can't explain that bonehead decision.
No! Not at all. I actually like running the latest version of Windows, I actually trusted that automatic updates would keep my system up to date. The automatic updater failed to install new feature updates, it installed only security updates. Hell for that matter, I even used to manually check for updates once a month, but I apparently didn't hit the update button enough to signify to Microsoft that I was a seeker looking for the latest version. Simply put, Microsoft really doesn't care to offer feature updates to users, they definitely don't push them very hard at all. Security updates are a good thing and should be left on automatic, feature updates are (per my own biased experience with Windows update) optional and unimportant.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone know how to change the icons use for start menu tiles? All the articles I have searched Google for say to open the shortcut location, and then select a new icon in the shortcut's properties, but I can not get this to work. It's not a big deal, but I think my system would look nice with say all white modern style icons instead of the default colorful icons. Really the biggest thing I dislike is simply that the Chrome icon has a gray background instead of blue.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lambert posted:

To get the icon to change on tiles that have their own style, you need to remove the *.visualElementsManifest.xml from the program's directory. For Chrome, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
Thanks, that worked perfectly. It looks like I could even use that to say color code my live tiles, or just a slightly easier way to change the icons. Can I add this xml file to another program that doesn't have one by default?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If Chromium Edge supports syncing tabs and passwords with my phone and G-mail account I might consider it. Instead, I predict it will probably be tied into having a Microsoft account and that is simply not going to happen, my soul is Google's property damnit!

But I do hope Chromium Edge might just implement some sort of DRM that Chrome and Firefox can use to get higher resolution. I cant see MS wanting another silverlight style plugin, and I hope if they develop the necessary DRM for Chromium it will be back ported. Realistically, what are the odds of MS back porting any improvements to Chromium? Is MS actually trying to be a more open source friendly company these days? Will Chromium Edge effect the Netflix store plugin since I assume that requires either the Edge or IE rendering engine?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

tl,dr of this is, if I want lean NVidia drivers, and not that half a gigabyte package, I get the DCH one?
That depends on whether or not you care about your frame rate in games. I think it was at least a year ago somewhere on SA where someone said the reason GPU drivers are so huge is because game developers suck. Modern video games often have poor performance when released until AMD/ATI or NVidia release a driver which tells the GPU how to actually run the game. Just telling the OS how to use the GPU is easy, but telling EA and other game publishers the proper way to use the hardware is a lost cause, thus drivers end up being huge.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lambert posted:

DCH drivers contain such logic as well, there's no real difference in size. It's the packaging format that's different.
Well then I stand corrected, I just assumed if they actually were much smaller they might have cut out some of the optimizations. Thanks!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is disk compression a good idea or even necessary for SSDs? I thought their controllers already optimized writes which I assume does not also mean compressing the data before writing. I think it would be useful simply because I keep my OS on a 500gb SSD which is big enough for my needs but a little more space would be nice sometimes.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I would ask if you've tried un/re-installing it, but it's grayed out...
I bet the terminate the app might change that.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Bro your file copy process was using too much power, lets suspend the process halfway through to save power! On a DESKTOP plugged in 24-7 with the high performance, drat the electric bill power plan selected. It's taking me about 2 days to transfer 1TB of files because the process keeps crashing in the dumbest ways possible.

Also pictured, Chrome only had 1 tab open at the time I took that screenshot. I'm worried I need to upgrade my PC even more just to be able to keep running Chrome.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

originalnickname posted:

Why? Does this thing not have a shell or a way to do it on device? Why does this workflow exist?
I could easily just go downstairs and plug my drive directly into the NAS, but :effort: . The network transfer has been works great, for a few minutes. Under 100GB it seems to work just fine, but anything more is hairy.

In addition to the process suspending for no reason, I've also had issues with the USB completely shutting off on my PC. Not just the external hard drive on USB 3, but also my keyboard mouse and everything else on USB 2, which I am pretty sure is a different controller. The first time it happened, I rebooted by using the power button to do a soft shutdown, and my USB was still dead after rebooting. I have not yet investigated my USB because prior to this transfer I have had absolutely no issues with my USB.

My NAS is Xubuntu 18.04 with a Samba share, it's 6TB worth of storage but about 25% of the time Windows 10 thinks it's full at just over 2TB. My other Linux desktops, Win 10 laptop, and a Windows 7 PC (I know. . . gently caress printers) have no issues connecting and filling up my storage. I am now slowly trying to free up enough hard drive space to where I can backup everything on my NAS to convert it from Xubuntu to FreeNAS but considering it's working great on all but one PC it's a low priority task.

My USB (and I mean all of my USB) is randomly making GBS threads itself during the transfer, this does not happen when copying between USB and local storage. My NAS randomly "runs out of space" irregardless of using USB or internal storage. Even if the stars are in alignment the copy process has still been suspending itself for no apparent reason. Hell, I wouldn't even mind it so much if I could at least get some sort of crash and an error message. Instead I wait for it to become unresponsive then restart explorer, check what files made it, and start another copy process. I am aware there are better, easier, and more reliable ways to copy the files, but I want to try to do this from my upstairs PC instead of babysitting a PC in my basement for a few hours during family time.

Klyith posted:

Probably something on the destination or your network paused the copy, so that's why it got suspended?

Anyways for an XL 1TB network transfer I'd suggest using robocopy, or set up a quick FTP server. (FTP is faster than SMB if you don't care about file permissions or verification, but if these are both devices you have direct access to verification is faster by doing a hash check after the fact.)
I think I am fine with ignoring permissions, I chose SMB mainly because I thought it would be the most Windows friendly. Despite that transfer running at only 77MBps, the transfer speeds are usually about 120MBps which I believe is only being limited by my gigabit network. This is why I troll eBay for 10G (or even 5G) coper network equipment. I think I might even be able to run 10G over the existing Cat 5e in my walls since the runs are all very short, the longest is like 40 feet which stretches all the way across my house. It would be out of spec for sure, but I have seen some YouTube people claim it works and I am not about to gut my walls to rewire everything. Price, lack of need (I don't transfer large files on a daily basis) and uncertainty are the reasons I haven't tried to upgrade my wired network.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My one complaint about defender is that I have only seen it detect one file, but I could not find a way to tell the drat thing to just skip the file and leave it alone. It was a poorly made spreadsheet from a decade ago that an instructor posted, and I could not figure out how to tell defender that I actually wanted to accept the risks and open the file. I would try to replicate the problem, but I no longer have access to the sketchy file.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I had windows games from 7 installed on my PC, the bin files have to be modified slightly but I used an installer from winaero. The last update silently deleted all of the games. I guess I can sorta understand this since defender recognizes the installer as a 'threat' but I still think it's a kinda lovely move to go and remove software during an update. Last time I checked, the included solitaire in 10 sucked, is this still the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Klyith posted:

Did they get put in C:\Windows? Because the whole windows folder gets nuked when major version updates happen. It's not safe to put anything of your own in folders that belong to the OS. I'd guess most of those old windows games would work even if installed somewhere else.

I learned this because in 7 and XP I used to put various .ico files that I wanted to use for common filetypes in a subdir in Windows (for convenience since I wanted them on the C drive and not in a user folder). Tried doing that with 10 and my icons all disappeared with the first update.

yes
These files were installed in Program Files, I uninstalled and re-ran the installer and everything is back to normal. This happened immediately after installing the 1909 update.

Weedle posted:

archive.org has a 32-bit version of classic windows solitaire

https://archive.org/download/BestOfWindowsEntertainmentPack64Bit/sol.exe

it’s a whopping 60 kb so look out [56K NO!]
Thanks for this, however stock Windows 7 binaries won't run on 10. My digital Life had detailed instructions, it's been a while but I think each executable checks to see if it's on Windows NT 6 and refuses to run if the version number is higher, the fix is simply using a hex editor to change the number in each game executable.