Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, you can actually do it right from the system menu in the control panel I believe.

Thanks! Apparently it works with a Windows 8 Pro key which I do have.
http://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My Logitech G430s don't activate Windows' surround sound thing. Is this because I have the 7.1 stuff enabled already?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

Nah just use Windows Media Player or whatever the name is for the Windows 10 metro thing, unless you really need to play some weird early 2000s codec. It'll play anything modern.

WMP and the Windows 10 video/movie app won't play FLVs though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm mostly looking for a good image viewer. I've been using Windows Live Photo Gallery for....however long it's been since that was new.

A Windows 10 app would be nice I guess? But something with tabs for different images would be better.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

404notfound posted:

Can a few people test something out for me? I've been encountering a bug that I think started with the Creators Update, but I'm not sure. In any case, I'm seeing it on both my desktop and my Surface Pro 4.

Open the Cortana search dialog and the touch keyboard (both taskbar icons easily enabled by right clicking on the taskbar) and type into the dialog with the touch keyboard (this works even without a touch screen if you use the mouse to click on the keyboard).

I tried a few different strings, and occasionally it'll glitch out and move the typing cursor back one character, so typing "abcdef" comes out as "abcdfe". And if you keep typing it'll be "abcdfghije", etc. I can't seem to find a pattern to the affected strings, and it seems to change over time, but once it starts happening with one string, it'll keep happening in the same spot.

I already tried contacting Microsoft support, and the rep just kept trying to get me to fix my keyboard drivers (wouldn't that only matter for a hardware keyboard?), going so far so to suggest reinstalling the Creators Update entirely. And not once did they even suggest reproing the bug--are these guys trained in QA at all?

Edit: Some strings that I've had on and off problems with:
abcdef
qwerty
fenway
oracle
password
koit
kerbal

I had something like this happen yesterday on my Lenovo Flex 4..The keyboard's not bugged out before the Creator Update. The weird thing is, even the default Windows 10 on-screen keyboard screwed up too. A reboot fixed it but it was weird.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So my 128GB SSD shouldn't have hibernate or fast boot on? I don't think I have those on?

Hibernate is grayed out in Power Options and there's no mention of Fast Startup anywhere. It's a desktop if that matters..

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 21, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I jump to the new update or just wait for the rollout?

Any outstanding bugs that are still around? Anything to fix the stupid Quick Access bug that's randomly hit me?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure what the features are, honestly.

Does anyone know of a fix for Quick Access breaking? It removed all but Desktop and now it's just 100% broken.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

N prevents you from having Windows Media Player and related programs installed until you download them from Microsoft, it was created for some bullshit EU rule.

K comes with links to "competing" media player and instant messenger software. It was created for some bullshit South Korean ruling.

KN combines the missing media player with the links to others from these two versions.

Workstation supports ReFS, non-volatile main system RAM, SMB Direct, and 4 physical CPU sockets + 6 TB of RAM in comparison to standard Windows 10 2 CPU sockets and 2 TB of RAM.

So of all these editions, only Workstation would actually need extra information installed.

Wait...what? I meant the features of the new update.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I keep deferring the April update or just let it install? It auto installed on my mother's machine and it seems ok for her? I dunno. All she does is Solitaire.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

My audio drivers got hosed up so that my mic was super quiet and barely picked up anything even if I was shouting into it. After uninstalling and reinstalling stuff a few times, it magically fixed itself, so I decided not to worry about why it broke and just be happy that it started working again.

This kinda makes me think I should just wait...

Thanks though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the "April" update okay to install now? No more Chrome crashing or audio driver issues? Or hibernation/sleep issues? I've avoided feature updates on my desktop and laptop for months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ularg posted:

I need to double check something to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Does Microsoft still tie your windows 10 product key to your microsoft/live account? I did the 8.1 Pro -> 10 Pro free upgrade years ago and could have sworn last year when I did a reset it activated windows as soon as I signed back in.

Reason being, at some point tonight my Windows 10 pro activation turned into a Windows 10 home and I cannot find out why. (Nor can I find my original windows 8 pro key)

It's not just you, looks like a widespread issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows10/comments/9v6ibm

A lot of people are having their Pro deactivate randomly and seemingly losing digital entitlement too

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My Skylake processor and no TPM since prebuilt gaming rig isn't gonna run 11, is it?

No idea where to get a TPM so I guess I need to upgrade my PC...or should it be ok?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm gonna be needing a new desktop here before the year's up. Should I pick one up now (gaming PC) or should I wait until 11 launches and grab one then?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, obviously, GPU shortages right now add a thick layer of difficulty onto building things right now.

Oh I've given up building anything this time around because of this. I'd rather just buy a good pre-built or something to get me by for the next 10+ years.

It's even harder to get storage thanks to Chia crypto.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CoolCab posted:

you know i keep hearing this but can report nothing but the absolute opposite from recent UK promos at least. you would think if there was some vast demand for decent SSDs and HDDs prices would go up, but i just put a 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD in my machine for £134 which i beleive is a near historic low, and there have been absolute shittons of deals on hotukdeals at pretty much all form factors, capacities and premiums, except enterprise stuff which seldom makes it there.

i think people were afraid of this happening, particularly after the news that it ruins SSDs quite quickly, but because it does it really is just the ultra high end enterprise grade drives (after all if it's going to ruin your SSD you want the absolute highest endurance card available as it will take it longest and need less replacing) and very high capacity HDDs that chia has been driving demand up for. home use stuff is very cheap.

The HDDs I want to get for my NAS still are at 1 only on NewEgg and possible fakes on Amazon here in the US. It could be NewEgg being cautious but it's still quite annoying.

It'd still be cheaper to pick up a pre-built though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A Zen 3 refresh with 3D cache is coming Q4 this year.

That might be fun. Are the AMD CPUs good for gaming now? I've never payed much attention to them tbh so I wouldn't know...