Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Javid posted:

I've temporarily reflowed cracked gpu solder on a laptop similarly, just let it sit in a bag for a few hours while on and set to not sleep

No you did not. Doing it might have fixed it, but NOT by reflowing solder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I own a lot of Gigabyte hardware and like it, but I avoid their software like the plague. This isn't really related to temps or anything, just a general note.

I have a box of dead Gigabyte motherboards, so I avoid their hardware like the plague.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

You can probably find someone with a box of dead (any brand)

From my own and family computers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CoolCab posted:

I think it was shot on film and netflix did a HD remaster and there was a blu ray release maybe? so long as there is no effects to redo it's a relatively cheap thing.

All 10 seasons remuxed from blurays is 600gb

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

A recent update seems to have finally broken Classic Shell -- anyone know of an alternative? :negative:

I cannot overstate how much I hate the 'new' Start Menu design. It's extremely hostile towards keyboard based navigation, and I like to use my mouse as little as possible. I used to be able to just hit like Windows Key, Up, Right Right Enter and that'd sleep my computer. Now it's like, Windows Key, Tab, Down x5, Enter, Enter.

alt+f4

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-a-console-a-terminal-and-a-shell

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

A good poster posted:

Youtube Vanced is from the same people as Brave.

Do you have more information? All I see is standard affiliate links.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Truga posted:

unless it blue screens on said boot, i had to reinstall my box when i switch from a haswell to a ryzen cpu because it just went into a bluescreen reboot loop

Booting once to safe mode should be enough to fix it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Truga posted:

not when safe mode also blue screens lol

Then you have a hardware problem.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Chilled Milk posted:

Hello Windows 10 thread what is the least gross way to get a tabbed file explorer on windows 10. Thank you

Total Commander.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I have a laptop with a 16" screen and a 1600p native resolution.

I thought there was a way that I could set the screen to native res, 100% scaling, but set particular individual apps to 150% or 200%.
Does this option still exist? (Did it ever?)

You can do it the other way around. Disable scaling for individual apps.

Except for electron based apps. Those usually can be scaled by pressing ctrl+= and ctrl+-

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

What was the debloat script people have recommended here before? I have an actual garbage machine it would be helpful on.

Install Windows XP.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

I literally might. It's a $200 walmart laptop as a media player. The less poo poo it does the better. Thanks.

In that case https://libreelec.tv/ is a better option.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

OneNote trials
OneNote is free so I have no idea what are you talking about :)

Lowclock posted:

I haven't seen an earnest "install linux" in so long it caught me off guard and cracked me up.

You said you want to turn it into media player.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 15, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The thing with crappy devices is that the biggest impact to performance is Defender and the countless security mitigations (memory checks and such).

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Honestly this project would be better off with a little SBC, but they might as well not exist right now unless you want to pay a scalper 3x what it's worth.

It sounds more and more that librelec is what you need.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

and my parents are on my Office 365 account. ... I tried to get them to make occasional backups but that didn't work out so I'm considering other options.

Set default paths of documents and pictures folders to onedrive.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tight aspirations posted:

Is it possible to clone an SSD to an image on a USB stick, swap SSDs and then boot from usb and restore the image to the new SSD? I'm blanking on working out how to format this as a search engine query.

Probably Macrium reflect Free can.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Windows 11's marketshare on Steam actually declined a little bit from last month which surprises me.

That survey is opt-in. A couple % change is not significant.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

RGX posted:

Interesting, I have 16 GB of RAM so its good to know I'm within parameters, I guess the thing thats brought it to my attention is I habitually check SDD space and have never noticed it fluctuating as much or as wildly as it has done recently. I stream Netflix on this machine pretty much every evening and have never seen a 20 GB jump before, which makes me think either somethings changed in W10s management or I have an issue thats causing it. Regardless, I'll leave it alone for now and keep an eye on it.

A memory leak (and netflix app/website is pretty crappy) can cause the automatic process to freak out. I would suggest to set a custom size with minimum about what windows recommends in that dialog (for me 1900MB) and maximum about 20gb.

Klyith posted:

and a 2nd pagefile on a HDD,
Don't do that.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Did they skip 22H1? I'm still running 21H2 and I don't recall seeing any notification for H1.

Windows moved to one big update a year. And Windows 10 to life support.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mozi posted:

QQ, what's a keyboard command to force a safe shutdown when I've lost all video output and there may be things running that are prompting to be saved or something?

You can try pressing alt+f4 a couple of times and then press enter. Or just press the power button on your pc. It will initiate proper shutdown.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also win+x, u, u

This I like the best. It didn't even ask for confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

busalover posted:

So I finally got around to buying a hi-res 4k display, but the scaling is not so stellar on Windows 10. It's great with Brave, all its elements seem to be resized accordingly. But Libre Office and ~Windows Explorer~? Nah. I mean I get Libre, but Explorer? Why does a Windows application not scale?

Anyway, I'm asking because I was wondering if Win11 is better at doing all this.

Explorer scales. Can you post a screenshot?