Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
If you're not sure where the space is going, run https://windirstat.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
I'd prioritize having my user folder on an SSD over the windows folder anyway. It's the one that's being accessed all the time post-boot.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Defender is absolutely not taking adequate measures for a threat labeled 'severe'. Defender is claiming to quarantine the file without putting it into quarantine. Defender is then letting the file be run from its original location.

If you're confused by the mentions of non-severe threats, just ignore that part of the post. It's not the important part. The core complaint is about the handling of a 'severe' threat.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

The whole patching thing is this decade’s UAC. In 5 years no one will care about automatic updates; it’ll become normal (good) habit to let them through periodically and we’ll all be better for it. Of course, just as bad software had to be redesigned not to write to program files, so too will software have to maintain its state better across reboots.

History shows that such changes won’t come if MS keeps waiting, they have to apply the change, endure the bad PR, and finally have everyone align for the better. They’re between a rock and hard place. Users don’t actually think about anything past their immediate future, especially when security is involved. Many app developers also don’t care about security and preference lazy solutions over correct ones. MS, as a result, has to force users and app developers to do the right thing, even if it causes pain and results in bad PR for them.
I've seen little to no evidence of programs improving on the front of preserving state in case of sudden restarts.

And the problem isn't actually the forced updates. It's the opaque, unpredictable, and sudden way they trigger reboots.

If every update resulted in a guaranteed notice that let you pick a time to reboot, everything would be fine. But they're so aggressive about trying to reboot immediately that things get screwed up all the time. Sometimes it lets you schedule a reboot, and sometimes you come back to a computer that's been at a password prompt for hours or is shut off entirely.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

I installed XP on a VM to use some obscure software (Microsoft gives away basically all versions of XP for free now) and it was actually more painful than I would have guessed. The internet basically does not function through any browser I could get my hands on. I was pretty surprised by that tbh

Firefox 52 didn't work?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

It was an issue with modern websites, even common ones would fail to load critical areas. I assumed it was just a lack of support for standards. I believe I tried Firefox but I definitely tried legacy Chrome and IE. It wasn't super critical so I didn't work on it much but I was very surprised at how bad it had gotten. Just a few years ago you could reasonably assume Grandma could still use the internet on her e-machine

I looked into Chrome a bit, it looks like the "support for XP" that ended two years ago was only partial, with TLS being severely out of date and broken. And IE on XP never even supported SNI.

But I'm pretty sure Firefox actually treated XP as a first-class citizen when it comes to TLS support, so an install of version 52 should be perfectly capable of browsing the web for years to come, even as its security slowly degrades after august.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Search back in the thread for people whining that apps didn't automatically restore exactly as they were before shutdown. Now an app automatically restores and people are mad. "You mean I have to CLOSE my apps? Manually??? LIKE A COMMONER?"

Nobody will ever be happy.

Having youtube videos, sometimes multiple, start playing before log in is a far cry from having my open windows "restore exactly as they were".

But the real issue is that there should be two different buttons here. "Close everything and shut down" and "save everything and shut down". Windows isn't spectacular at doing either one of those.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

wolrah posted:

The tl;dr version is that expanding a partition "to the right" is pretty much just a matter of updating the partition table and maybe some metadata depending on the filesystem in use. Expanding it "to the left" involves moving all of the header data and editing any data that's based on the offset from the beginning of the partition. The former is pretty much impossible to screw up, the latter has a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong.

On the other hand it's pretty simple to move the entire partition to the left and afterwards expand it to the right. It's easier to do that than shrinking a partition, which windows has been able to do for years. There's no particularly good reason you have to use a third-party tool to scoot a partition over.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

mystes posted:

Yeah Android devices are sure known for their security and speedy updates.

My phone keeps bugging me to install an update and then failing to install it, that's going to be fun to fix.

But more generally, no matter what you get you'll have to deal with updates. Nobody can write secure software.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
SSDs wear out a little bit from reads, but it's at a rate of something like a thousand reads disturbing the data enough to trigger one write. Maybe a bunch of thousands.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
When I migrated my Windows 7 install from MBR to GPT I ended up with an install that worked more or less, but was unable to update to 10. And the one time I tried to hibernate, it corrupted its boot settings and became unable to start until carefully repaired.

So I guess what I'm saying is "good luck".

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Truga posted:

N-no? It still boots normally, I just can't log into my own user acct. I've been using this since early vista days and never had an issue. Thanks for the tip on changing path in settings though, I'll use that next time I reinstall.
Just your own account? Wait, did you junction Users\Truga or did you junction Users itself?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

isndl posted:

I'm guessing they are building a completely new index/cache, hence the part about it being a resource intensive activity. Plus they might be giving numbers for HDD based installs, SSD searching might be done in seconds without an index but lots of people still have HDD for bulk storage.
Everything takes seconds on a hard drive too. But it has to bypass the filesystem because somehow going through the filesystem makes scanning a hard drive fifty times slower. It's kind of impressive how much of a bottleneck you get with a lot of files.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

It doesn't do the first thing
The description is 90% correct. Replace "alpha" with "beta" if you want to be pedantic. The manual check gives you updates that the automatic check doesn't, updates that not done being beta tested.

quote:

why on earth would the second thing be named "check for updates"?
Because "install updates automatically" is turned on, so you expect it to check and then trigger everything else to flush the update pipeline. And that is what the button does, on top of secretly opting you in to a different set of updates.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

As has been mentioned before, it’s so Microsoft’s servers don’t poo poo themselves every time they release an update trying to update everyone at once. It has nothing to do with how “ready” the update is. They thought it was ready for everyone, and they were wrong.
That's part of the reason why automatic checks aren't all told about updates at the same time.

It doesn't explain why hitting 'check for updates' jumps the queue.

I fully understand that sometimes you do want to jump the queue, but that should be a different button.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Atomizer posted:

I actually have been using an older USB2 drive, partially because USB3 compatibility issues were suspected a couple of years ago when I started doing this, and partially because it's got a little LCD on it that tells me the device name and thus exactly what it's for. :3: (It's the 8 GB version of this, for those interested, and it appears to be well over 10 years old, so.... :stare:)

Anyways, I probably could just use a USB3 flash drive for this, and I even have a 16 GB mSATA SSD in an enclosure that I was going to use as cache, but it would make more sense to use it for my Windows install drive if that's really going to make a significant difference (and it certainly makes more sense to instead use a ~128 GB SSD as a more useful cache.)

Your problem isn't USB 2. That bottleneck is about 30 megabytes per second, which can transfer 8 gigs in under five minutes. The drive is probably dying, since even the cheapest drives can handle sequential transfers reasonably well.

Edit: The spec for that drive says 7 megabytes per second write, which is still only 20 minutes for the entire capacity. To take more than double that, when writing big files, means something is going very wrong.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 26, 2018

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

astral posted:

To be fair, like 25% of that is ffmpeg, and 40-50% was a service host. Did that person post their specs, too, or are we supposed to figure them out from just how much of their CPU ffmpeg is eating?
Both the explorer and service host loads are caused by the clicking. So the clicks are only using up 75% but it's also building up a backlog.

Specs don't particularly matter when it's a simple menu covering 3% of the screen; it should be able to redraw it every single frame with negligible load.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

Because you are online. Duh.

If you don't like it, go install Windows 98.
Are you ignoring the part where they are still installing normal updates and making sure their version of Windows is supported?

New builds are not inherently better. You install new builds so that you can get new features and so you can keep getting patches. Since support lasts 18 months, it's fine to skip half of them. You get fewer unique bugs and spend less time fixing things that the major update process can break.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

Keeping up to date on Windows is inherently better than randomly halting updates for months at a time.

It is not "fine" to skip half of them, it is something you may be forced to do by a specific issue your hosed up system has, and should not be done by anyone as a routine thing.

You don't seem to understand. They're installing every single update to their build of windows. Each build is supported for 18 months for good reason, and that's because people need flexibility in when they install them. Skipping normal updates is terrible, but skipping builds is just fine.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

No I understand. They are skipping updates. There is no reason to skip these updates.

Whining about how they're 'builds' in your strange lingo is pointless.
"Builds" is what Wikipedia seems to call them. They're the replacement for service packs. They are a categorically different thing from normal updates.

You can be 100% up to date and secure without the most recent one (or two).

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 10, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

there are irreconcilable differences between the people who appreciate useful little notifications and the people who hate stupid annoying popups. the cycle of software is for these features to be added, exist long enough for the first group to take them for granted, and then be removed when the second group bitches about them.

(also, any notification that isn't useful to you, the person receiving it, is a stupid annoying popup.)
The "DST is coming" thing wasn't a notification or popup. It was a line of text in the clock/calendar dialog.

The notification when it actually changed the clock is more arguable, but it does have a use because Windows does not always get it right.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 1, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Oh, I'm fine with NTFS compression out of convenience. It's just annoying that there's no warning when formatting a volume (I had block size at 8 kB by the way, because I didn't know any better at the time regarding compression,) and there's no easy way to change it later if you still have data you need on it. I actually am making a 2nd backup of that drive right now so I can reformat it; I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to get compression enabled and save several hundred GB on my games drive before I add even more data to it.
If you have long-lived files you want to compress, do consider running compact /C /S /EXE:XPRESS16K or compact /C /S /EXE:LZX to get the significantly better and less-fragmenting compression they added with Windows 10. Add the /F flag if the files are already compressed the default way. The only downside is that you can't have this type of compression applied automatically.

I throw it at my steam folder every couple months and it saves me about 25%. It doesn't care about block size either.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Microsoft says that, and blocks updates, but does it actually cause any problems at all? I've looked a few times for a technical explanation and haven't found one.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I forgot about that. What a completely boneheaded and idiotic move. Aside from the obvious and biggest issue of violating trust from the user for some shady addon, it makes the Mozilla team look like utter rubes to giving away free marketing to a TV show with zero benefit and only harm to them.
That extension didn't do anything by itself, so I wouldn't call that "giving away marketing". They screwed up how they did it, badly, but the underlying action wasn't a problem.

The Cliqz thing was pretty shady though.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Are you messing with me? They literally installed a browser plugin as part of a marketing campaign for HBO's Mr. Roboto for free. I guess that makes it okay somehow?

Can you clarify what "the underlying action" was again here? The thing that was okay? I really wanna know what it is

The extension did absolutely nothing unless you knew the secret about :config flag to activate it. That much is acceptable. The problem was that it showed up in people's extension lists unexpectedly. They should have made it download on demand or not be an extension at all.

And it was not marketing for Mr. Robot, because you needed to come from there to know the secret activation method. It was a poorly thought through easter egg that if anything would have been an advertisement for firefox.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 29, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lambert posted:

Was the extension they pushed to users that would send all user interactions with websites and visited URLs to a third-party also a neat easter egg?

Also, I don't like ads pushed to my browser in general, doesn't matter you think it's "neat".
I'm not arguing about whether it's neat, I'm saying that when an easter egg is impossible to accidentally activate then it's not an ad.

People only cared about it because they hosed up the deployment. This is separate from the easter egg itself.

And I said in my first post that Cliqz was bad. (Though they didn't actually push it to users, only new installs could get it. Still a very bad idea.)

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I don't know, considering that the Mozilla team probably worked directly with USA's marketing/advertising departmetn to make this ARG plugin that promoted a TV show, I don't know if there's any meaningful difference between an "easter egg" and an advertisement in this case. If looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Even if it's "impossible to quack accidentally," it's probably still a duck
Well if they did the deployment right it would have been invisible and hidden in a box deep in the basement. So sure it can quack but it's not there to introduce anyone to quacking.

I think that's how this analogy goes, at least.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Geemer posted:

People in the US mostly don't even know it exists. I believe it doesn't even do anything in the default US keyboard layout, yet another reason why US-International is the superior choice.
US-International is okay, but having dead keys by default sucks. Though it looks like someone took the time to make the keyboard layout I've always wanted: https://github.com/thomasfaingnaert/win-us-intl-altgr

Still annoying that AltGr can't be used with the arrow keys to go back and forward.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

19H2 is the Fall update.

The only story I've heard that is remotely similar to that, is that the kernel team's ostensibly doing some larger changes that wouldn't make it in time for 19H2, and therefore they won't touch it for that release.
They're still going to label something "2019 Fall Update", because they need it for support purposes at the very least. But "a scoped set of features" that will "install like a monthly update" sounds like they're not putting a major update into that slot. It's being skipped as far as they've handled "feature updates" so far.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Crossposting from the monitor thread:

Does anyone know how I can get icc profiles to apply in Windows 10, please?

They deeply screwed up applying icc profiles in the most recent spring update. Failing to apply and bad banding. If you install DisplayCAL it has a profile loader program with some kind of workaround to still operate correctly.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Windows10.txt

But yeah I actually did install it but then couldn't work out where to load profiles.

(I may be extremely dumb.)

There should be an icon in the system tray for "DisplayCAL Profile Loader" that you can right click and go to "profile associations".

It's a mess to navigate and I've only touched DisplayCAL itself while following a guide.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can anyone explain to me how to change this? When I copy a folder into a destination, instead of giving me the "overwrite option, it adds it to the folder and just creates a "copy" wtf is this

Edit: my computer decided to default this 140gb folder with like 15,000 items as read only :/

A folder being read-only doesn't really mean anything.

The setting you want might be "Hide folder merge conflicts" under folder options?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

biznatchio posted:

That's literally not a problem if you're using anything other than Windows 10 Home, because Windows 10 Pro and up allow you to configure Windows to require the user's permission before restarting for an update, and allow it to be put off for up to the maximum delay -- which is 7 days by default, and can be turned up to 14 days. And if 14 days isn't enough for your video encoding, you can even go beyond that and explicitly, proactively elect to pause updates for 35 days.

If Windows is rebooting unexpectedly for you for updates, it's either because you're running the version of Windows intended for home users who don't know how to operate a computer (in which case you should probably get the edition of Windows that isn't intended for that use case); or it's because you haven't bothered to actually configure it the way you want it.

If you're still configuring it via "Active Hours", then you haven't configured it correctly. Active Hours is superceded entirely by the greater control you can exert through gpedit.msc or through registry settings.

That sounds great! What exactly do I do to set it up, and when did they introduce that? I have Pro, and the last time I tried to make it ask the user before restarting it failed entirely. The mix of functional, semi-functional, and non-functional group policies is a giant pain. In the end I put it on "ask to install" mode, but that's not ideal.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sininu posted:

Where do I turn off fast startup in the newest W10? Having to restart specifically for updates pisses me off when I shut down my computer any time I won't be using it for more than 3 hours and that doesn't count for installing W10 updates.

Do you use hibernate? If not then disable hibernate entirely. (Run command prompt as admin, powercfg /hibernate off)

If you just want fast startup off, here's instructions on how to get to the correct part of the control panel: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/213195423-How-To-Disable-Fast-Startup-in-Windows-10

No guarantees it'll fix anything about updates being weird, but fast startup causes enough strange problems by itself...

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

isndl posted:

What about when a program is launching another program on the user's request, let's say Steam launching your preferred game? Should the game just launch in the background?
Easy. You allow Steam to give its own focus to the game, but if the user clicks off of Steam before the game tries to grab focus, then it fails. Maybe allow a grace period of 2-3 seconds in case the user is a compulsive clicker and launching out of the system tray.

Right now programs that are launched seem to be able to grab focus long, long after they were actually started. And some things magically steal focus from nowhere at all. It wouldn't be very hard to block those, but microsoft hates polish and they care a lot about the inevitable whining from businesses that their incorrectly-designed code can't steal what it wants any more.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 6, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

That's not even needed: when a program is launched is one of the times that Windows allows them to take focus without being handed permission by the currently-focused window.

That's the exact problem, and the thing that needs a way to be disabled. It's not a good feature. I guess my point is that it's pretty easy to replace it with a version that's not fundamentally broken.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're about to finish and release 19H2, and now there's WindowsCentral claiming that 20H1 is right on its tail (because it's synced to the Azure dev cycle, because kernel) for end of December this year. That's sure fun.
Keep in mind that they demoted 19H2 to a more normal, non-reinstall update because of the focus on 20H1.

Edit: oh that got mentioned oops. Anyway I'm excited to get WSL2 sooner.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 29, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

stevewm posted:

I have installed 10 on literally hundreds of computers... and my own a few times. I have never once seen any problem I could point to Fast Startup being the cause.

I am curious to what downsides there could possibly be... Other than the presence of the hiberfil.sys file.
It can cause problems if you do anything to your drives while the system is "shut down".

It's no big deal when you add a drive and it mysteriously doesn't appear until the next reboot, but it's a bigger problem when fast startup screws up dual booting. And I'm pretty sure I had a flash drive get horribly corrupted because it was removed post-shutdown, used elsewhere, and plugged back in before windows booted.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Physical access is full access.

That's too simplified to be a good answer here.

Someone with physical access could do something like install a key logger in your keyboard and learn all your passwords. But if they just steal the computer, they're not getting access to properly encrypted data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

Open up the Windows Firewall, click on Outbound Rules, scroll all the way down to the predefined Windows Search rule, and change it from allow to block. Start Menu will still have a web results tab/option to expand, but doing that will just show an error.

(Previous versions of Windows have called this rule Cortana or Cortana Search, but in 2004 it's Windows Search)
Oh, thanks. I installed the preview version a while ago to get WSL2 and it's been bugging me that I couldn't get any policies to shut bing off. So that really is on purpose, what fun!