Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Everything about the new UI screams KDE Plasma to me, from the matt glass and the new icon set to the new start menu.

Not that that's a bad thing; it looks pleasant enough. Not entirely sure about the centred start button (moving targets suck), the tiling is neat, and I really have to use it to see what sort of unexpected annoyances they sneak in.

I'm also not at all looking forward to dual booting it with things that don't play well with secure boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fame Douglas posted:

Either get EdgeDeflector https://github.com/da2x/EdgeDeflector or use either Firefox or Brave, as those have the method EdgeDeflector uses built-in to stop Windows from forcing Edge on you.

Speaking of EdgeDeflector: The Register: Old Microsoft is back: If the latest Windows 11 really wants to use Edge, it will use Edge no matter what

Not relevant in Windows 10, but the current insider preview build of 11 has some new code to specifically block edgedeflector/firefox/brave from handling microsoft-edge: links.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saukkis posted:

Isn't Opera nowadays owned by a chinese company and running their own "Opera Ads" platform and a predatory loan service in Kenya. I feel Opera is working hard to obtain the position of Worst Browser.

Chinese investment fund ("Golden Brick" or something), Polish developers, and they maintain a shell of a presence in Oslo since having headquarters in Norway sounds good.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I did just have a win 7 install that really really did not want to work after changing the hardware. On the other hand I was trying to boot a pre-SP1 windows 7 disk from a virtualbox disk image under KVM, so I probably had that coming.

It's happily running again now ... under a new version of virtualbox. Some problems are not worth solving.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Pffft. What's the difference?

I was about to say - it barely works even in the best case. (I hear it's a different experience in cortana-enabled regions - though different does not have to mean better.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Skarsnik posted:

Outlook 365 can get in the bin, it's just an inferior product that's cheaper to licence

Same for the rest of 365 too really

Isn't the desktop win32 application also called "office 365", just to be confusing? As I've understood it, buying e.g. "Office 2021" will effectively get you a perpetual license for a snapshot of what the desktop/win32 office 365 was like sometime in 2021.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You can also grab a title bar and push the window into either side of the screen. Or into the top, to maximize.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lowclock posted:

I literally might. It's a $200 walmart laptop as a media player. The less poo poo it does the better. Thanks.

He wasn't joking when he said that a linux distro that's dedicated to the purpose, yet still uses modern software and gets security updates, is probably a better choice than a long dead Windows.

Stripping down a modern windows is also an alternative, of course. I'm afraid I don't remember the script in question - and I expect Google will have a horrible signal/noise ratio when searching for this sort of thing. I guess I can SA search when I'm at a proper computer?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 15, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lowclock posted:

Nah, I wouldn't actually want to run xp even if security and compatibility weren't problems. I would use Linux, and I even tried it first, but some of the background audio processing stuff I want to do is way more of a pain in the rear end, and even once you get it working has noticeably more latency than the Windows alternative.

That's fair - we use PulseEffects/EasyEffects to do some compression and peak limiting, and the latency it adds is just barely on the right side of annoying.

As for replacements, how about a used laptop? You may be able to find something that's significantly fresher than the A8 but still cheap - especially since you don't care about the battery life.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

To a point this is what flatpack and the like are meant to solve - as long as you have a vaguely modern kernel and working sound/graphics, a flatpack is meant to be "this program, and a complete system it likes, in a box".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are computers even sold with HDDs as its OS drive these days?

I just bought a SAS disk expander thing from Dell, and they for whatever reason do not allow them to be sold unpopulated. I am now the proud owner of two genuine 300GB Dell Enterprise SAS 7200 rpm spinning disks. (OK, my employer is.)

Of course, enterprise hardware is its own bizarre corner of the world.

E: And I'm going to populate it with 16TB spinning disks. Still.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just for clarification, NT 6.2 is windows 8 and server 2012; NT as a product brand hasn't been a thing for a while.

E: windows 8.0, even - 8.1 is apparently 6.3

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

astral posted:

Perhaps the worst behavior that came out of this was that several apps began to store their entire applications in people's user folders, robbing them of the very protections UAC would provide.

Especially fun when they install the entire app and all its cache data in the roaming folder on an AD network with very limited profile sizes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Windows 11's marketshare on Steam actually declined a little bit from last month which surprises me.

Did 10 gain, or was it the mac/linux/steamdeck users nudging windows overall down by a fraction of a percent?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Approaching it from the other side, you could try setting the W32Time service to Automatic startup - if I'm reading things right, that will make it attempt to keep the machine locked in sync to the time server, instead of just doing a one-shot correction now and then.

(But I've never really played with Windows time service, so I may be wrong here.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Truga posted:

I feel like that should be doable with a very simple userscript, but also, it's possibly insanely complicated to have it work consistently with how modern html often isn't html at all

I sometimes think about this article and sigh. Like all good satire, it seems uncomfortably close to reality.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I managed to overwrite and then recover my MBR during a slightly stressful easter vacation in highschool when trying to install Solaris 8/x86 alongside FreeBSD, BeOS and Windows on a single disk. Definitely a learning occasion, but :ohdear:

No backups, ofc.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You monster. I got home from the bar drunk one night in 2005 and installed Windows Vista Beta 1 because I wanted pretty animations and the new UI. Lost that year's assignments for university. Plus, that's when betas were really betas, like the arm torture thing in Flash Gordon, or in Vista's case, Medusa's noggin.

I've had strangely good luck with weird windows versions, but that sounds extremely like something I could have done.

Also, I'm apparently not crazy and Solaris 8 really was made available for free (though closed-source) in 2000, which would have been the middle of my first year in high school. Strangely hard to find mention of, it's nearly entirely drowned out by the OpenSolaris 10 release five years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's really weird how a friend of mine got two DoA Abit motherboards back to back when I built his PC for him.
Also, in completely unrelated news, it's odd how many screw holes for standoffs there are in cases that nominally only support ATX motherboards.