Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Someone said it was a bug in Teamviewer, so if you have that, uninstall and see if that helps.

That was me in the previous thread and I was referring to S3 sleep for the whole machine, not monitor suspend or whatever.

quote:

For anyone else having TeamViewer waking up their computer, this has been resolved in version 10.0.45862 (released Aug 7 2015).

Awesome, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

This privacy thing is going to hurt MS and Windows 10 much more than the forced driver updates. It's basically everywhere at this point.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

It's gotten so it's hard to defend it and say it's "like Android and iOS" because at least those you can turn off the stuff you don't want and it's actually off.

Yeah I'm not terribly concerned about it myself but the flippant attitude from people is kind of surprising. One dude who works at Microsoft was even mocking it on like page 2 of this thread. I can't even make stupid tinfoil hat jokes because ironically Microsoft is a company who has backdoored their own software for governments in the past. I don't sit around losing sleep over whether Microsoft knows I installed Steam or not but I expect the privacy toggles in the OS to actually function as advertised. If people disable web search maybe don't send their loving start searches? Why is it sending all of that crap if people use a local account and disable the various web services?

It's not hard to see why this has gotten some people riled up regardless of whatever Google and Apple are doing or not.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

thechosenone posted:

are there any new improvements in windows 10? like does anything run faster? Also, is there anything now integrated into the operating system that wasn't before (such as how newer versions of windows can open zip files)? any programs that come with windows like media player or something would count for me.

I'm just curious as to any such developments.

There are a few marginal performance improvements (boot time, small FPS gains in some games) but otherwise no. The new features are basically Cortana which is a weird voice assistant named after a halo character that no one is going to actually use in six months and task view which is virtual desktops, a few niche users might check that one out. DirectX 12 but no real DX12 games yet. Edge can read PDF files and poo poo like that but its useless without an extension API.

It's Windows as you already know it more or less. So don't go into it expect a big blockbuster feature. The upgrade is free for awhile so that's something. You can put it off for awhile if that's what you're asking.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

thechosenone posted:

I heard it has windows defender built in. Is that all one needs, or does one need greater protection than that?

It depends entirely on your usage habits. No AV will give you protection from clicking yes to things but yeah otherwise most people who are reading a forum like this are probably fine. Let's be honest, most AV software is reactive rather than proactive anyway. Windows Defender can't be permanently disabled without installing another AV, just a FYI. So even if you don't want it, you have to get something else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lowtechs posted:

Heh new nvidia WHQL driver. :unsmigghh:

(Geforce Experience notified me of it first to download but then I turned off download drivers from MS so don't know if it will show up in Windows Update)

You can do this now? Where/How? I really don't want device drivers from Windows Update.

quote:

Fair point. I should make it clear, I'm not here to defend MS or Windows 10 (and I don't speak for MIcrosoft, nor ever will.) As to the snark, I will concede that it sure can look that way -- and that probably is because it's pretty difficult to take anyone comparing Windows 10 to the Third Reich seriously without mocking how crazy it is.

Pretty sure that person was just being sarcastic.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Perhaps that's what is happening to mine as well. 10 takes way longer to come out of S3 Sleep than Windows 8.1 did, like 10-15 seconds vs 2-5. It's not a big deal but its one of those things where I can't figure out why its happening.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases

Sorry for the delay, had to dig it up. This only works on windows 10 at the moment, but I'm sure he'll also fix it for 7 and 8.1, now that microsoft patched them.

e: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/
Here are instructions on what you can do now, but it's more than a single click.

There is when you're suddenly opted into something you explicitly opted out of during install. I know where to disable this poo poo. Most users don't.

I haven't had time to dump traffic yet, do those actually disable telemetry?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Go to Event Viewer -> Windows -> System and look for Power-troubleshooter entries. You can create a custom view if your event log is too spammy. An older version of Teamviewer was causing problems like that so if you're using that, make sure its updated. Otherwise have fun hunting down "Allow this device to wake the computer" tabs in all 40 USB and network card drivers :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Don't apologize. I asked an honest question, you gave me an honest answer.

But it does kind of underline the type of weirdness that's going on right now with Win10, when MS takes a look at Google/Android and they decide they want to be a little of that, but still mostly Windows, with all the baggage that implies. It feels like they're trying to jam the two cultures together and so far it's a rough transition. It's obvious from the way they're pushing Office 365 that they've fallen in love with software by subscription, though. Considering the free upgrades, that's expected. Gotta subsidize it somehow.

I am pretty happy with the privacy controls in Windows 10 but I'd like to see the telemetry setting be user controllable and I'd like to see users get more information on updates being delivered by Microsoft. For what its worth the only way I was able to block the telemetry data was at the router level. There was an Arstechnica article that also noted some functions not working properly even with privacy settings toggled so those should be adjusted. I don't think any of those requests is unreasonable or justifies a bunch of tinfoil hat hyperbole, not that you personally did but some people here have this silly all or nothing approach to this.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone else have "Get Office" reinstall itself? I didn't even notice until I started seeing the notification again. Is this going to be a recurring thing? I already own Office :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Splode posted:

No matter how many hidden check boxes I untick, my computer turns itself on in the middle of the night by itself. This OS sucks.

I'd like some modicum of control over updates and I'm sick of my desktop waking itself up at midnight because Windows re-enabled a setting I specifically disabled, something it manages to do often with regards to updates and data collection.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Are you sure its windows doing it?

Spotify would turn on mine in the middle of the night until that version got fixed.

Not saying that is your issue particularly, but you may want to look elsewhere for blame and even a fix

powercfg /lastwake is useless but the Power Troubleshooter eventlog entry points to some sort of Windows Update bullshit related to an update service which I swear I configured not to wake the loving machine.

Fine wake yourself up but at least put the machine back to sleep after applying the updates. Total waste of power which is expensive in my area. I'll just start shutting it down at night.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Pro will allow you to defer updates.

I like this search tool: Everything https://www.voidtools.com/

Can that replace the useless windows search? Like integrate into start search results?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
No keys work to dismiss that initial login screen on mine, I have to click the mouse which brings up the prompt. This started 2-3 weeks ago, before that it was fine. No changes on my end, must've been Windows Update again.

Also my sleep settings reverted again somehow. The day to day use of Windows 10 is fine with me. I basically just use the system for video games and sometimes web browsing. I don't use the Start Menu, Bing, Cortana, the store or modern apps in general so any changes there are largely above my head. The new calculator is stupid but whatever, one would hope that's an easy fix.

What does annoy me is things reinstalling themselves, settings being toggled without my permission and the new update policy. I disabled the telemetry crap with a third party app and a firewall rule because without knowing what specifically they're collecting (in detail) I'm just not comfortable with the practice.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that's sucks. Not sure what I'm supposed to do as far as back up solutions going forward. I remember I tried Acronis way back in the day, but never really used it, that was before cloud tech though. What are the best cloud back up solutions these days?

I use Crashplan which works fine for both local and cloud backups. I think I pay like $4-5 a month and I've had multiple restorations due to dead drives without issue. Just be advised the client for Synology NAS is user maintained and breaks every other loving week when Synology updates their OS. If you don't have a Synology NAS then you can ignore that. There's a backup thread here for more info on various backup solutions.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I might just hijack the Start key to use with Everything. I don't really use the Start key for anything except launching programs that aren't pinned to the taskbar so if Everything can do that I'm set.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had it inexplicably not load a few times on systems with entirely different hardware configs. It just hangs then needs to be closed and reopened. It's a loving calculator, there shouldn't be a significant load time with an SSD.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's checked by default.

By not unchecking the default setting, spinning in a circle twice and rubbing yourself with pigs blood you have consented to the installation of Windows 10, read your EULA geeeez.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Massasoit posted:

If it's on steam will it generally run fine?

Yes. Compatibility is virtually the same.

I dislike Windows 10 (new aesthetics, update policy, etc) but its fine for gaming and that's all I use it for. It was free, whatever. I do my browsing, code and etc on a Linux box. Windows trumps all for games and you can't escape it yet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the start button continues to "break", necessitating a reboot. Anyone else experience this? I've seen this at work and at home now, makes it a real pain when you want to lock a workstation or etc.

Also I have to say that the latest upgrade trick they pulled was pretty despicable, that's some poo poo I expect from malware.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

xamphear posted:

Windows Key + L to lock your workstation. Faster than using the Start Menu, even when it does decide to work.

I personally gave up on the stock Start Menu and installed a replacement. Check out: Classic Shell, Start10, StartIsBack.

No that's what I mean, the windows key itself just gets disabled until a reboot. You can't use any windows key shortcuts. The actual start button still works. I've seen this across several different configurations now and can't figure it out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Just to get the stupid question out of the way, do you have a "gamer" keyboard that has a Windows key disable function?

No and I've seen this both at home and at work despite wildly different software/hardware configs. It hasn't happened today so far but next time it does I will just dump my whole event viewer log and start looking.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone find Windows 10 drivers for the old 690G northbridge AMD poo poo? My brother has this dumb little Windows 7 system that runs his barcode labeling for his farm. It's ancient but just works and farmers never throw poo poo out unless its really broken. I get a call from him that Windows 10 installed itself on there but that the video display is messed up. I check it out and its just using a basic display driver with poo poo resolution. Somehow it upgraded itself without a compatible device driver which I thought wasn't possible. It's an Asus M2A-VM, some old integrated Athlon X2 thing. Normally I would tell him to simply replace it but there's nothing wrong with it. I can't find display drivers for this thing and the Windows 8.1 drivers won't install because of a version check.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I'd consider rolling it back to Windows 7. I had a client's laptop eat its own hard disk due to driver issues under Windows 10 that I couldn't solve no matter what drivers I tried. It worked normally under Windows 7 so I just reinstalled that.

I wish I could do that but he ran disk cleanup because it was whining about free space due to the old Windows Install. So of course he nuked it. Windows 10 or bust now I guess. Oh well, I will keep looking or tell him to upgrade the hardware I guess. Just such a waste, they've got default drivers for everything except the display which makes no sense to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I tried, no joy. Oh well, I'll tell him to get a $30 videocard like rexxed suggested or just upgrade. I took a complete backup with Veeam for when it dies anyway so what the hell.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

bigis posted:

I ditched team viewer and have started using the native Win10 RDP which has a nice iPhone app. It works well on LAN but is it safe to port forward so I can use it from elsewhere?

My router supports DD-WRT so I could use that to run a VPN server but is it overkill? Or is there a better solution?

Its open to the world so it could be port scanned or exploited in some way but its highly unlikely, especially if you change the default port. What I did was modify login GPO to only allow 3 login attempts with a 30 minute lockout period in between. I also changed the port to something random, most of the automated script kiddie tools just use a set of default port ranges. If you have a static IP you could also whitelist it. Technically its still security by obscurity but I can't be arsed to setup IPsec and etc, if some chinese hacker goes to all that trouble for my 1990s mp3 collection and old pictures then uh have fun.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

In the Good Old Days Windows had a settings screen for adjusting UI elements. They removed it and now you have to manually edit windows registry.

Try googling for specific registry keys...

Yes this stuff annoys me. For example they removed the Jump List UI for number of items and nuked the registry keys too. I work with a lot of Excel files and its handy to see more than 10 at once in the jump list. I had to recreate them which works for now but makes me wonder about how they're going to gently caress up the task bar in the future.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Seems pretty weird to have never ever made a Microsoft account in the past 20 years of Microsoft online services, honestly. You might as well ask "what do you get in exchange for a google account?" "what do you get in exchange for an apple account?". Every online service they do that interacts with a computer, obviously. You could sign into them all individually but what would be the point?

Quite the contrary, I've lost track of all the accounts and migrations over the years. I could not even be bothered to find the details of my account, whatever they are calling it these days. Live, Windows Live ID, Passport, MSA and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

His point though was about benefits of having one. Beyond some free storage you don't need, lovely email you don't want and having some profile/app info backed up there isn't really much of one. I use a local account because its simple and works just fine. Maybe one day that will change when I see some tangible benefits or they just force you to do so, I guess we'll see what happens. I don't use any other Windows devices at home and we already have a domain at work anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

oversteer posted:

I've been trying to use Search to find documents and it seems .. wrong.

Windows + type search term doesn't bring back a file I know to be indexed, until I click the 'Documents' icon

Why doesn't the default All include the Documents category? :psyduck:

Search is just terrible on Windows 10 and I've started using Everything instead. Sometimes it will magically index a file seconds after its popped up and other times it can sit there for a month in the same location and nothing happens. Sometimes it will pull out an app name when I start typing and other times it will appear 10th down the list of results despite matching the search term exactly. I've given up trying to understand its inconsistent behavior. I just wish I could properly integrate Everything into the Windows 10 search bar itself.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Icept posted:

Anyone been fighting the Xbox Game DVR after the Anniversary Update? I had a hell of a time trying to troubleshoot why CS was suddenly running like rear end from one day to the next, turns out the Xbox app I've never touched decided I wanted DVR when I updated. What's even cooler is they want you to log in to turn the setting off. Had to use some combination of regedit and powershell to pull that poo poo up with its roots.

Yeah I had the same problem, my framerates were in the tank due to that stupid overlay/DVR poo poo. I had disabled it already before the update but as usual any major new build just seems to turn on/off whatever it wants.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
At some point I used to be able to click the date/time in Windows to see the monthly/annual calendar. I don't know quite when this stopped working but it doesn't seem to anymore. Any way to get this behavior back? It's handy on machines without Outlook installed in case you're on the phone trying to setup a meeting or etc.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Weird, must be something IT deployed here by accident. I'll look into it, thanks.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Im_Special posted:

Doesn't this look amazing.

First screenshot of the new Windows Explorer app.

This is a joke right? That's loving hideous.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah agreed. Hydro fees are lovely here and what's the point of leaving it on when it doesn't need to be? With an SSD in it my desktop wakes from S3 sleep in like 2-3 seconds, why would I not save the $80-100 a year or just cut off the extra 20 seconds it takes to boot?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank god, next version of Windows Update to allow opt out of driver updates.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there an Easy Transfer replacement for Windows 10? I have a buddy who doesn't have all of his favorites/contacts/etc in the cloud yet and wants all of his old stuff swapped over. Easy Transfer used to be great for this kind of tedious crap.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just a rant but for the third time in recent memory Microsoft pushed a problematic update that hosed my little Plex server. I don't know how they've changed QA on this stuff but its getting really annoying. This time it was a double whammy with a network card driver and an MPEG2 library change. So between Plex and Windows itself it was just boot loops and hard locks, took a few hours to fix.

I gently caress around with FreeBSD for work so I just wanted something where I could turn my brain off at home but no such luck apparently.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

MPEG2 library is trivial to fix, FFMPEG. Network card driver? Windows doesn't update those that I have ever noticed. Sounds like your hardware hosed up.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware, this was part of KB4013429 from this month and is why they released another cumulative. Once I was rid of that I was able to apply the new update but it wasn't a fun time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Not that it was hosed up, that it hosed up. Like glitched out.

Do you have fast startup turned on?

It was two different known issues with that update, specifically mentioned in the release notes for the next update by Microsoft.

e: to answer your question though, fast startup is not turned on and had nothing to do with the problem.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

I still sometimes have the start menu & taskbar go completely unresponsive until I alt+f4 on desktop & restart, so could have just been something similar.

This keeps happening to me sometimes on my gaming PC. Start and the taskbar just refuse to respond to any input for no discernible reason.