Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean?

The sort of weird PR groupthink that you can always find when companies make massive campuses and insulate themselves from their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The fall update installed itself yesterday and prompted me to reboot. Proceeded to a blue recovery screen and refused to boot with a generic error message. Eventually resolved it by rolling back and reinstalling the update. No hardware issues and no real reason why it should've worked the second time instead of the first. So happy they fired their QA team and gave me the job instead.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Huh, maybe one of these days I'll take Acronis up on one of those free-after-rebate deals.

To offer another perspective, I think Acronis is garbage. I've tried it on and off several times over the years with mediocre results at best. When you're dealing with image/backup restoration software it should be pretty close to bullet proof instead of "ehh works once in awhile".

Macrium is much more reliable for me and I use Linux-based recovery tools for anything it can't do, those little bootable USB collections are great.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

uvar posted:

I picked up one of the 'Mixed Reality' headsets recently (unwanted Christmas gift, more fool them). Is there a thread for VR outside the one in Games? That one's unsurprisingly just videogame opinions and Rift/Vive debate.

Not reviewing it here or anything but at the price I got it this thing is amazing, tracking is flawless and it works great on my ancient computer. Sure is nice only using one cable to set it all up!

Which one did you pick up?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

So I upgraded to 1079 and thankfully nothing seemed to blow up, but now Firefox will randomly start chugging when I scroll through pages. And not with any real pattern - sometimes I can scroll down half the page and then it starts going wonky, other times it's like that from the word go, sometimes everything works just fine. Sometimes it'll randomly fix itself, other times that tab just stays chuggy. Seems to happen most often here on SA or on Youtube. Any ideas?

I had the same issue with Firefox, when I checked it was constantly pegging my CPU during these periods. I only had 2 extensions installed, uBlock and Lastpass. I ended up disabling them both, trying a new profile. This worked for awhile but the behavior came back. I finally had enough and switched to Chrome, its obviously some issue with FF or the extensions themselves but I don't have the issue in Chrome so /shrug.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I defend Windows 10 a lot in this thread, but :same:

My laptop technically dual boots but has been booted in to Windows for less than 6 hours in the last year, entirely for the purpose of shutting up a vendor who was convinced that the fact that I was running Linux was somehow causing their device to not work properly.

About 40% of my total Steam library claim Linux support at this point, but that number is disproportionally heavy on indie-type games I got from Humble Bundle and the like so it's not really accurate. Looking at my recently played list, of the last 25 games I've played five have Linux support and the only one of those that's a big name title is Payday 2. All the other AAA games are Windows-only, maybe one or two of those also supporting Macs but my Mac is so old I don't even have Steam installed on it.

If I could play Subnautica, Dishonored 2, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, and GTA V on Linux officially my desktop would probably follow my laptop straight in to Linux-land. No matter what your thoughts on Windows Update, APT blows it out of the water in every possible way. Even RPM sucks less by a lot.

Yeah I'm pretty much fed up with Windows but I'm forced to run it for games. I don't want it as a daily driver for anything else though, so I just run it in a VM now with ESXi. Hardware passthru is loving amazing, I get pretty much native performance and if something goes wrong then oh well, restart the VM and if that doesn't work I just go back to an earlier snapshot. At least now Windows can't interfere with anything else.

I wanted to just go native Linux for gaming but performance is often a problem in addition to compatibility being dodgy.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't mind patching my computer if the quality of the patches is good, since Windows 10 the quality of the stuff coming out of Redmond has taken a nosedive

I don't agree with your sentiment of having Windows Update turned off entirely but since they killed off their old Q/A process staff there has definitely been a decline in patch quality. I've had 2 different updates render one or more of my Windows machines unbootable and numerous rollbacks.

I finally gave up awhile ago and now the whole thing is imaged on an ESXi box. I just do snapshots once a day and if there's a problem I roll back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been using our Enterprise license at home to run LTSB because I'm a horrible person but want to go back to Pro. Can I save myself the reinstall by just using a Pro key to re-activate it? Or is it more involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hmm ok cool, thanks guys. I guess I will just re-install, lots of cruft accumulated anyway. I've done 3 total system transplants including an Intel->AMD swap without reinstalling. Give Windows 10 some credit where its due, no issues with stability or etc. I just had to sit there waiting for drivers to auto-update on boot up for like 10 minutes but generally once I did that everything was fine.