Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Release Date
September 29th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcHuHmfMeE

quote:

Team Relocation
Stadium Design Customization
New Trade Logic (less dumb GMs?)
More Trade Informaion sent back to players
Better Online Modes
Draft Redone
Summer League

quote:

Three new teams have been revealed for NBA 2K16 which is due out in late September. They're not expected to be the only new ones but stand out as especially appealing, particularly because they are relatively recent and feature some players who remain in the league to this day. Those teams are the 1999-00 Toronto Raptors, 2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers, and 2007-08 Boston Celtics.

1999-2000 Toronto Raptors

Roster: Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Charles Oakley, Antonio Davis, Doug Christie, Muggsy Bogues, Dee Brown, Dell Curry, John Thomas, Alvin Williams, Kevin Willis

2000-2001 Los Angeles Lakers

Roster: Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Horace Grant, Robert Horry, Brian Shaw, Tyronn Lue, Mark Madsen, Ron Harper, Devean George, Greg Foster, Isaiah Rider

2007-2008 Boston Celtics

Roster: Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, James Posey, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Eddie House, Tony Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF2p-GNWQE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSqziKeJ9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcehb1P01ic

Also NBA Live 16 might exist, I dunno

Wait it does. Here is a man-child talking about nothing instead of the game he is showing off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP2V27GReMI

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Glumslinger spill the beans.

Volkerball posted:

Basketball football manager would be sweet. I haven't played 15, but is trading still completely broken in that one? In 13 and 14, horrible teams drastically undervalue their future draft picks, so it makes putting together a stupid good team trivial. I think if they fix that, and make it so that the top 3 players in the draft consistently go 1, 2, 3 rather than spread out throughout the top 10 every single year (when even mediocre scouts can identify the top 3 easily for your team) they may be on to something. Also it's practically impossible for players on your team to get all star nods for some reason, which is kind of annoying in the later years. I went 79-3 in one season simulating every game and I had like 1 all star, no MVP, and no players putting up any significant numbers in any stat. Any top 5 player in the league should be able to do that easily every year, and end up a near lock for the hall of fame. It'd give me a lot more steam in the later years knowing my best players are rewriting scoring records and ending their careers with double digit all star appearances. Plus it really gives you a sense that a player is indispensable to your team when he's actually putting up numbers.

Trading was better in '15, but not exactly good. The myGM mode had a weird gimmick where you could spend points to do "mind control" tricks on other GMs, it was easy enough to ignore but sorta weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Added creepy floating nasty mouthguard simulator video in the OP.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

09 Lakers would be my guess. 04 Timberwolves is also probably a neat choice.

One of those mid-late 2000s Jazz teams would also be pretty cool.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Duggler posted:

So we don't have a NBA Live thread (probably with good reason), so i'll just post this Live 16 footage here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP2V27GReMI

Overall it looks way better than the last Live game, but the animations and the way the players move around is still kind of bad looking

I'll add it to the op, I think the ball mechanics look pretty cool but I can't tell if they are more realistic or just something different and interesting. The player movement looks weird and, at least in the video, it looks like fast breaks and drives are WAY easier, which I don't think is a positive.

Honestly, this engine looks like it'd be better for a 3-on-3 street-type game with the high bounces off the rims and the jump passes down the court.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KDdidit posted:

I just want 1P myteam seasons. That mode is dead to me without something other than the current Domination and assorted challenges.

Tournaments against other players CPU controlled teams. Would own.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hopterque posted:

So...

Muggsy Bogues sure is short.

He looked just as ridiculous watching him when he played.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hopterque posted:

The new app is out for all your free VC needs.

Hot drat. For those who don't use it you get a hefty amount of VC every day, and the "game" portion isn't too bad while you are in new-NBA season euphoria

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ouhei posted:

Is anyone else getting constant app freezes/crashes when trying to sign in to PSN on the mobile app?

Crashed the first time then worked the 2nd on my OnePlus One. If you have the 2k15 app try to login there first then go over. Otherwise you can also try logging in the PSN website or app first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I

the_american_dream posted:

wow what the hell lol. Thanks man

It was released too recently to show up properly on the search tool, it'll trickle up to the top soon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

epitasis posted:

how do I make this control like nba live '98 or give 'n' go basketball and not something that makes me feel like a stillborn orangutan. alternatively how do i learn how to score or play defense and not just run into people jesus. thanks love ya lots

I haven't gotten around to myCareer yet, but thats usually the worst place to start for new players. Playing as a team is a much better way to getting used to controls.

In muCareer you start as a rookie, which in the NBA is usually a bad player. Play in modes where you are not a bad player for a little while to learn the game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Is there anything I have to turn off so Klay Thompson doesn't get matched up against Lebron, Durant or Tony Parker every time, even if I specify who guards who at the start of the game? It's hella annoying.

in defensive matchups you can name a player who gets preference. Is that what you want?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everything about myTeam seems like it would be right up my alley, but execution of it just leaves me unhappy and I rarely go back to it. They need a mode where you can grind against similar-constructed teams, even if the payout isn't that hot. The Show lets you play against other players teams that are CPU controlled, and that seems like it would be tons of fun here.

I know getting more Golds in my team isn't hard with packs, but I sorta want to roll with my Bronze dudes and grow gradually. But the frickin 76ers have a team that is objectively better than mine in like 8 of the top 10 players, and that's pretty frustrating. I had the same complaint last year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Anyone else's nba2k16 iphone app not working with the sign in? I click sign in for the PSN and it goes to the login page and I can't click anything. Worked the first day but not anymore.

Just tried it on Android, logged in fine for me, though I have had problems. Try killing the app and starting it again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I finally got around to playing myCareer (It's never been a mode that I sunk the most time into). Where did you guys get drafted? I was putting up, like 11/5/5 on 60%+ shooting (though with 2 or 3 turnovers) and my draft stock just plummeted every game. I'm on the court for 11 minutes, what statline do you want! Despite being projected as a top pick out of HS, leading my team to the national championship, and being a 6'5" SG I guess I am not very in demand in today's NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hopterque posted:

I was averaging like 20 points 10 assists and 5+ rebounds, with a few steals and only very few turnovers and I got drafted at #10 as a PG.

They expect you to dominate the HS and college games, basically.

I mean, I scored more than half our points and assisted on half of the remaining, I'd call that domination. I sorta think I was getting penalized for leaving my man or holding the ball and didn't know it. But when I am playing against a future insurance adjuster I'm going to roam.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The owner of the Toronto Raptors yelling at me "THIS IS THE U S OF A!!!" While I stare at him incredulously was pretty amusing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zelah posted:

Dang it. They patched out the enter a career game on all-star, take a shot, sim to end but still get VC trick. They have not patched the thing where you come in off the bench and the guy you're supposed to guard is just idly animating for 25 seconds while everything else is black and white.

Guess which one makes you less likely to buy a bunch of points with real money?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oh holy crap is this game better switching coach's playbook. I was playing a fantasy draft with the Timberwolves and not a single play had more than 2 guys moving. I switched to the Spurs playbook which has WAYYYYY more motion and guys actually move to get open.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Stars signing with dumb teams kind of sucks too. I think it was in2k14 Chris Paul always signed with Cavs and Kyrie played about 15 min for 6 yrs.

Whats funny is CP3 going to the Cavs makes some sense with Kyrie moving to the 2, but NBA2k hates to violate positions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Flip Saunders representations in the game are sad now. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

-Resolved an issue where too much stamina would recover during timeouts (giving the effect that players never tired).

This will change my rotations. Probably a good thing though.

-We no longer give an ‘allow offensive rebound’ teammate grade penalty after blocking an opponent’s shot.

Thank god.

-Pass receivers are now less likely to veer away from the basket to catch a pass.

Double thank god

-Reduced the frequency of unwanted contested shot fadeaways.
Nice!

-Made low-rated shot blockers less accurate and capped their jumping verticals

I suspect this will hinder my "Sim Bhullar: All-Star" crutch. This will affect my Team greatly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The rookie year where you deal with the Spike Lee Story is only like 12 games and you can just hit start to skip stuff. That kinda sucks, but you also hit Free Agency after your first year for some reason, which is kinda cool. I mostly play the league-modes, so I am only in my 2nd year, but do you hit free agency after every year?

Also, as mentioned, off-days are way cooler this year. And you don't do the stupid press conferences after every game, only now and then.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 30, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ashekaban posted:

You hit free agency, because your owner doesn't like how you stuck up for your childhood friend throughout your first year. Terminates your contract with a clause(which I cannot remember)

I skipped through the story so that is ridiculous. The team I just left was like the 2nd or 3rd highest bid for me though.

My Funny Moment: I got drafted by the Toronto Raptors and the first time I met the owner he screamed "THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" overlooking the Canadian Flag which sorta worked with his batshit crazy persona.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I finally started to play this tonight and the a button stopped passing midway through the first game. I tried to load a new game but A still wouldn't pass. Is there an easy way to change it back?

What platform? If it's PC what are you using for a controller?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's also counter-intuitive, but don't go into your screen too far away from the player, it'll cause your guy to try to move up into the screen, and thus be moving. Your better off moving right up to the defender than trying to settle 4 feet away.

Also enjoy NBA Live I guess. Glad your special snowflake sensibilities found a proper match

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The cellphone app is also a great way to get VC. Every day you can do some stupid matching game and after a week its not hard to have an extra 10k for like 3 minutes work. The little card game there isn't awful to dick around with and get a few more too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Are you trying to play with myCareer first? I think that's a bad place for new players to start as your guy is awful. Playing with real teams or even myTeam (some of the early challenges suck though) is a much better way to learn the game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Make sure you are passing too. If you are trying to ISO with one guy on the perimeter all the time the AI will learn and shut you down.

Also, set it to the lowest difficulty for a while. No shame in that as you are learning the game. Once you can win by double digits reliably, set it up a level and get beaten down and raise back up.

I play most myLeague, I think it helps playing with one team. Some teams are definitely harder to play as. Cavaliers are pretty easy, so is OKC. Teams without good shooters like Memphis, Lakers or Miami are really hard for newer players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'll make a 2k17 thread when it gets closer to release, but for sure post anything about that you might find.

Away all Goats posted:

Guys like Dirk and KD are almost impossible to recreate.

That sorta checks out though?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Seltzer posted:

The simplest thing that would increase my entertainment 10 fold would be have a play now mode in myteam where they match you to similarly rated teams (fifa has had this for years). I got this game late and I'm kind of annoyed bouncing between seed 4 and 5. I get promoted every time in the 3 gold restricted seed and then bounced back in the unrestricted where everyone has diamonds. I don't have the coins to compete and they give you gently caress all coins for playing games to begin with.

I'd like to see you be able to play other player's myTeams but CPU controlled. It would be pretty fun to run through a tournament of other teams without having to deal with online play fuckery.

I am an ornery old person who doesn't like getting destroyed by 12 year olds, what?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hope they keep the fight up just to keep some semblance of pressure on 2K.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

We put more pressure on ourselves than they have in ages. Thats all I will say on the issue

Yeah this is probably true, but even if the competition is meager its nice that it's there, you know?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There are other online game modes too, myTeam is specific in that you build a team that has upkeep.

Totally agreed on a "stop wasting my time" option to remove fluff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zeldadude posted:

Finally getting the hang of mycareer. Ever since getting drafted I've been playing like poo poo in the NBA but I finally figured out how to get a decent rating: just don't shoot. Pass it constantly and get assists.

Couple games of doing this and I'm the starting PG for the Rockets! Question though, what's the best way to level my player up quickly? I'm getting around 500 VC a game on pro. Should I max my quarter length?

I haven't looked, but the Android app gives lots of VC for like 2 minutes of looking at it a day. It's a good way to give your myCareer a nice tailwind.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CraigK posted:

How is this game's franchise mode? I'm looking to get this game on the summer sale and basically wondering if it alone is worth $12 bucks

Its real good. I think the myGM mode isn't as good as myLeague though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Basically just keep checking for what the other GMs will give you for your role players / bench warmers / unhappy players every few games and you'll amass a shitload of picks in no time.

This is why you got fired, Hinkie

The Glumslinger posted:

Try out MyLeague instead

Yeah, do this. It's a better mode. All the stupid trades without the GM RPG stuff, or the stupid Jedi Mind trick BS

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

It sincerely seems like my teammates are playing better the better my attributes are. It's :psyduck:.

One thing the AI does really well is adjust, so if your guy is a lovely shooter you might get the D sagging off or over-helping when you're on the perimeter. Once you start getting better, you are probably getting a lot more double-teams on drives or they might be icing you off screens, which means your teammates have more space.

That's another thing that I see people get frustrated by, they'll have a "go-to" play to score, but eventually the AI will get wise and if the player doesn't adjust you'll start getting stonewalled.

Generally I am not a big fan of the myCareer, but when playing as a team I found you can usually fix the AI by just playing whoever is the rim protector on Defense and let the AI handle the perimeter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I want to know how much EA has spent on NBA Live and how much it's made in the last 5 or 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Someone should get around to making a 2K17 thread

I'll make one, but a little closer to release. These tend to be "NBA 2K" Megathreads that just get recreated once a year anyway, so post as much 2k17 media as you want.

• Locked thread