Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Glumslinger posted:

Pre-order and get it 4 days early :v:

PC too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

But man the Production values are so good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nice that those who pre-order the game get the rights to beta test the servers over the weekend.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hook the PC up to the TV

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

This game perfectly captures the annoyingness of high school cheerleaders.

GotY

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

hopterque posted:

Looks good, if you guys can make the servers not be incredibly unstable garbage this year.

hahahahhahahahahahahaha that's cute.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

hopterque posted:

Are you loving kidding me lmao, what's the point of a ranked play system like that if you can buy your way up the ranks.

Giving good players whales to beat up on?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Does the PC version unlock tonight and at what time?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Haven't had any issues on the PC so far

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man I had such hopes for My Career where in high school and college you aren't god awful at everything. And then suddenly you get put in the NBA and you forget how to hit an jump shot even though you rained 3's down from the heavens in high school and college.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inside Outside posted:

I just scored seven straight points in fifty seconds to force overtime in the NCAA championship game. Then we lost when the coach didn't put in me in until there were just a few seconds left with a big deficit :geno:

Authentic College Coach simulation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Why in the hell would you ever put points in Rebound?

hopterque posted:

My guy is white i just assume there was an accident at the sperm factory or something, whatever.

FREQUENCY VIBRATIONS.

*Pull's hands up to chest and shakes violently*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Duggler posted:

This is the most Spike Lee thing I've ever seen

Yep, I remember people being worried like Is this actually going to be Spike Lee, or are they just attaching his name to it.

Nope This thing is Spike Lee as all loving hell and it's fantastic.

But yeah, the Story is just 3 high School games 4 college games, 8 pro games and then free agency.

It spans your first year. Then it's all menu's and cell phones again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Post up on triggers was in 2k11

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

-Good news, they're calling fouls so that sumo throw from last year isn't randomly not a foul
-Bad news, they are ticky tacky as poo poo on fouls. I think 90% of my turnovers are from "Illegal" screens that were perfectly legal last year
-The physics for baskets is super annoying. I've seen like maybe 1 swish and the rest were all those bouncy ones. A lot of those super vertical bouncy makes, more than I would see in 5 real games.
-Off-ball AI has to be a roster problem, because holy poo poo are players really bad when they're not near a ball-handler.
-Every team is the worst at transition defense
-Rebounding is still a mostly position thing, stat is still worthless
-Still haven't used the two dedicated pass buttons. I'm sure the lob thing will be useful in the future....?
-The left-stick only crossover is back
-Spin-move only shoot button is useful since you stop on a dime if you don't try to score out of it
-Wide-open layups are Robin Lopez's greatest enemy

:hfive: Knicks brother.

Bounce Pass and lob pass are god tier when running pick and rolls

Rebounding is mostly a position thing but if you have low rebounding if there is another player anywhere near you going for the rebound they will take it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

If that's the most spike lee, I never want to see his movies

Eh, The story probably would have been pretty good, if you know they didn't just jumps months and months ahead without any linking scenes for context. Like they had to do in this game.

It honestly seems like a bunch of College scenes were cut which probably would have gone through Freq meeting his girl, and other stuff.

I like the idea of the story, just wish that there was either more of it so everything didn't just seem so sporadic and tossed at you , or you had more choices with it, but that would have taken waaaay more dev time than the year or less timewise he had to do this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TJChap2840 posted:

As somebody who is fairly new to the 2k series (played a good bit of 14 and 15 but only on PC. Playing 16 on Xbox One), I just tried out some MyTeam gauntlet and it was immediately evident that I am terrible at this game.

The part that stood out the most was defense. 1-on-1 defense feels very unresponsive especially when you switch to an AI that is standing in the middle of nowhere (as somebody mentioned before, it seems off the ball AI goes pants on head retarded in 3 v 3). It feels like to me that the only way to recover is to turbo back into position. As soon as I do that, I get caught out of position and my opponent just blows by me.

Dribbling is almost as bad. As an example, when I try to crossover, the defense just gets in my space and disrupts my dribble. When I do the same to them, I get shook and they dunk on my face.

What can I do to get used to some of the finer mechanics of the game?

Also, again, as somebody new to the online world of 2k, what modes do most people stick to?

Honestly with most of these games I recommend playing a point guard in MyCareer for a bit to get used to all of the nuances of the controls. I always pick an inside scoring PG when first starting so it pretty much forces me to learn how to drive and play against the CPU. Once I figure out that system everything else is pretty easy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

Double-tap shoot for the spin move is this year's OP abusive move. AI always jumps to block it, you get a blocking foul, or since you stop on a dime, pass it to an open guy because the off-ball AI thought you were done. It's not like previous games where spinning makes you easier to lose the ball. The ball is ironically very loose everytime except when spinning.

I have like 4 blocks upgrade into ball handling, so it's not like a high requirement either.

Eh, I'm always getting the ball swiped out of my hand when doing that move.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TJChap2840 posted:

Ya. My usual has been to start a balanced PG but with the hilariously bad starting rating I'm not having an easy time. Thanks for the help though. I'll try to focus more on what is actually going on during the game as well. I do tend to plan things before they happen but am not good enough to recover if my plan is blown up. I just try to brute force it once that happens.

Yeah, at low levels you have to abuse Pick and rolls use them to get the space necessary to drive when you don't have the ratings to just cross up and blow by someone. Also real useful at getting comical amounts of assists at low ratings.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It honestly seems like a bunch of it was cut for time or something, because college had like no story line beats in it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Just started playing the NBA 2K series for the first time, and I got NO IDEA how to move around properly. Coming from more traditional games, I'm more used to instant response, directional changes, arcadey features etc. Is there any guide on how to get used to this movement, key things to note? Most things I've seen already assume you know how to play 2K...

How I learned was switch the Camera to 2k mode, and just play games on Rookie difficulty. Get moving around and shooting down.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

Screens are for legal babies, just get in the "way" of the opponent as much as you can because the game can't comprehend an off-ball foul unless it's a botched screen.

On that note, why the hell am I getting double-teamed every single possession? I average like 6 points a game as a PG.

Because you are a young anf unskilled PG who will panic and might throw the ball away and turn it over.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

I have 80 passing with dimer

Because you can't score well and your only skill is playmaking with the ball so they force the ball out of your hand. :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man I thought it was just me.

Then again even in real life the Knicks are a good Point Guard away from being a good team. So my dude showing up is a God send.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

OK, this is getting loving frustrating.

What am I actually supposed to press on defense? Like, absolute basics, what do I do? Because absolutely nothing I do is actually doing anything. I'm being slaughtered by 20+ points a game, even when I'm playing the stat-wise better team.

My offense is also hot garbage. The only points I can make are threes, because that's just timing. I try and rush, I get locked down. I try and pass, even to someone wide open, AI dives in and intercepts.

Meanwhile, when the AI gets possession, it is GUARANTEED to score. There feels like nothing I can do to stop it.

Like, I'm not looking for anything advanced, I'm just looking to maybe beat the AI set to rookie.

Are you playing MyCareer or playing the whole team.

With on-ball Defense, until you get good at the game, you just wanna stay in front of him, Don't press up on them but don't stand too far back. Essentially if they wanna take a contested jumper let them, but don't get so close they can just drive by you. Ignore all Dribble moves the opponent does and only move the stick if you see them going for a shot press towards them(don't jump). Once they pick a direction, follow that same direction cutting off the center of the lane while doing so pushing them towards the baseline(Unless you are on the baseline and they are moving away from it) mostly just always try and be between the hoop and the player even if you have to put a bit space between you and the Ball handler.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If I can't drop 81 on Jalen Rose this game will have been a failure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That's probably them loading. When it's done loading it allows you to skip.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Release dates for 2K17 have been announced:
http://www.operationsports.com/news/882532/nba-2k17-ships-on-september-20-pre-order-to-get-it-4-days-earlier/

September 20th official release, but the Early Tip-off for pre-orderers returns and launches on the 16th

That include the PC date?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Traded Mirotic Shumpert and some picks for Karl Anthony Towns :allears:

My fantasy draft GM team is DAR, Devin Booker, Andrew Wiggins, Kristaps Porzingis, and Karl Anthony Towns.

Essentially exploit the gently caress out of potential and youth.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

One of two things.

Either tell them that you think it's for the best. Or tell them we are trying to take care of you guys. it's a minimal loss that is easily fixed hrough play.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 27, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Fun.

I also super enjoy bricking wide open FGs on A rated shots. :thumbsup:

Happens in real life all the time tho.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ragle posted:

It's very aggravating how often a wide open 3pt shooter in the corner will take a half step inside the arc before receiving the pass, like JJ Redick, Kyle Korver, Kawhi instead of setting up in the corner want to take 20 foot long 2s constantly.

also 20%+ of online MyTeam RTTP have the opponent doing some fuckery so the game exits, "game arbitration is taking a long time would you like to cancel" or w/e, you have no choice but to have a forced loss from this lovely coding

Generally if you push the analog stick out away from the three point line(when behind it) when passing they will take a step back. Generally.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:allears:

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/832/nba-live-mobile-/

oh EA...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lol Jimmy Butler's face in 2k17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Posted new thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788016

• Locked thread