Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I got this game recently and it's the first basketball game I've had in ages. Why are there no tutorials. The entire tutorial is limited to Curry telling you to press shoot in a 30 second video. The entire post game is still a mystery to me and I made it through two seeds online. Seriously the gameplay is good but the game is loving terrible at explaining how it actually works. I still don't know how to run an offense past setting picks. More importantly does anyone have good advice on defense? My two options against human opponents seem to be select a player not guarding the other player and just hope my CPU defense does something or try and guard the player and have him run around to the point where he can drive or get open for a 3. Should I be holding lt and ghosting him the whole time? Does attempting to steal the ball do anything other than generate a foul?

Also why is there no single match option on myteam? It's so simple and a no brainer. I have to play with restricted teams apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

You should play domination mode in MyTeam, its single player, unrestricted lineups and its the best way to build up your team

I've done this and I bought a bunch of good players this weekend when people were selling. Klay Thomas DPOY Mutumbo, Wall etc. And I picked up players like dirk from domination. None of that is explaining how to play offense or defense better or why there isn't an online unrestricted single match mode like fifa where they match up similar ranked teams.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

BCRock posted:

Is anyone playing the MyPark or Pro-am modes of this on Xbox?

Me and another goon have been playing a lot with our career guys, but neither of us had the foresight to make a 7'3" monster center to dominate those modes with, so we're stuck trying to find big men to join our squad, or constantly losing 2v2 games to any team who has a huge center to get every rebound.

I would theoretically do this but the career mode doesn't seem like it would be fun and leveling up by just playing mypark seems like it would take ages. Is there a shortcut to leveling up your character to a reasonable level where they are useful? I played for a bit with my ~50 rated character at the park and it was hard to get games and when I did everyone just hit mile long 3s. How tall should you make a center?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

Playing against people whose only trick is trying to bait you into shooting fouls with weird timing and pump fakes is my favorite thing in the world. I am fuelled by their ragequit tears.

Is there a good counter to this? My game is revolved around the fact that people don't realize rebounding and defense are important so I give up PFs and Cs who can drain 3s for complete control of the boards. The only problem is when I run into dudes who run iso plays with westbrook every other drive and get bullshit fouls on poor driving layups. I don't bite on pumpfakes but I give up a lot of driving contact fouls even when I'm not controlling the player. I do have the block thing set to autocontest and I play on physical defense. I could turn off physical D but you get so many more autosteals I don't see the point.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So I got this on PS3 and like...how do I do ANYTHING? I've done the training camps, but actually playing a game is totally different.

What the gently caress do I do on defense other than hold L2? I try and do anything else, fouled.

Then on offense, the ONLY thing I can even semi-reliably do is shooting 3s. Layups invariably bounce out, and I've never even triggered a dunk. This is the reason I feel like i'm missing some game mechanic on offense, because the AI seems to have some kind of ability to stop me from moving, while they can move at will on offense.

Paperback Writer posted:

Just my 2 cents, it's kind of annoying but honestly you're best off switching to whoever is guarding the lowest threat. Let the CPU stay with their dribbling.

I would say don't do this at all. Playing on ball defense is extremely effective and kind of necessary once you start playing good humans online. If you just mark their center and let the cpu guard their pg you're gonna develop bad habits. The important thing is to know that the the defense stance trigger is sensitive so if you hold it harder you'll get in their face more but it'lll be slower to move while you hold it less you muscle them less but can move easier. Experiment with that and remember that blocking off where the opponent will go and thinking where they will go is better than just holding down sprint trying to chase them down. Also are you using the stick to contest shots? it's extremely important but don't contest non stop because it slows you down a lot. Contest to stop a shooting opportunity or to force a player into action (so if he kicks to the corner to his three shooter switch to your closest man and move in while contesting, it will lower his chances a lot. Or if his pg is chilling at the top of the key looking for a pass hold contest until he moves because you never know when someone might shoot and if they're standing still contesting does't hurt.

I don't know how you're missing layups unless you're using players with garbage stats. As for starting to mess with advanced offensive options, mess around with pick and rolls (using the right bumper) it doesn't require using any plays and is really simple. Against the cpu move the ball around the perimeter a bit to look for options and be sure to make use of your center. I had a lot of trouble with offense and defense in this game when I first started as well (first basketball game in a decade) but now I'm in the 5th seed in myteam mode in only two weeks (fantasy team builder multiplayer mode where you have to beat a certain amount of people to keep advancing) . It will all click eventually. I actually win most of my games off the strength of getting down defending/having a defensive team and mashing people in transition. Most people want the players with the highest speed and three stats and forget about the rest. My last piece of advice is switch to the 2k cam right now in game. It's another thing you want to get used to early it makes offense and defense much easier and I don't think anyone good at the game uses the standard camera. One more small bit of advice is remember passing stats are important, I came over from fifa where most players can manage simple to good passes. Aside from your pg and sg a lot of your players will have complete rear end passing stats and you'll turn the ball over a lot wondering why it happened. Make dangerous passes with your good passers don't be surprised when your center gives the ball away or throws it off the court.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 12, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

I play with standard side cam and am up to GOAT in online play, I guess I'm just more used to it from watching games.

You'd probably do better without it, but not if it's broke dont fix it. I'm just saying by it's very nature the standard cam makes passing more difficult. I couldn't go back to it now that I switched to the 2k cam, it's just so much more intuitive. I definitlely would suggest it for beginners who aren't used to one play style or camera yet.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I learned to play by doing myteam domination for awhile. Myteam might be a bit confusing for someone not used to team builder modes though. I skipped over the "spike lee joint" after about 15 mins it seemed awful.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The last thing I'd say about offense is don't be scared to drive at the hoop even if you don't have the best angle. With guys like LBJ you can still often smash through and dunk and a lot of times you'll draw extra defensive pressure which will leave a shooter open. I didn't drive at the hoop outside of transitions for the longest time but then I found it to be quite useful. Just remember to use LT at the right times to guard the ball or you'll turn it over. You can even use lt and release in another direction to spin out and create space or you can just hit a post fade or hook if your drive failed as well (providing your player has the stats)

As for defense thus far I've found messing with the settings extremely important thus far. Neutral defense is ok but putting limit perimeter shots on shooting heavy squads or protect the paint on guys nonstop driving will be huge in giving you an advantage. I also set play physical D on though thats not everyones cup of tea. Try setting shot contest to "always" in the settings as well. It will help you in the beginning.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Late on this but 2ks handling of the million followers on twitter lockercode debacle is one of the most poorly handled things I've ever seen from an entertainment company. It was honestly more insulting than just fully renegging on their two separate promises.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

2k said that if they reached 1 million twitter followers they would give everyone a diamond player in a locker code. They then said "nah we meant only if we hit 1 million in 2014". Before they hit 1 million this year they release a tweet saying "for 1 million followers we will release a lockercode providing players a high chance at getting a diamond or amethyst". They release the code and everyone got player tattoos and like shoes to use online. They released straight trash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/4bpcm5/1million_locker_code_pulls_and_outrage_thread/

This sums it up basically.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The simplest thing that would increase my entertainment 10 fold would be have a play now mode in myteam where they match you to similarly rated teams (fifa has had this for years). I got this game late and I'm kind of annoyed bouncing between seed 4 and 5. I get promoted every time in the 3 gold restricted seed and then bounced back in the unrestricted where everyone has diamonds. I don't have the coins to compete and they give you gently caress all coins for playing games to begin with.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

We put more pressure on ourselves than they have in ages. Thats all I will say on the issue

Put in singles matches for myteam and make there be some sort of punishment for rerolling gauntlet picks. 2k gameplay is good but I think small common sense stuff would go a long way to making the game better. Also please do something about "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN DANCE TEAM". I would seriously pay $5 for DLC to take out that cut scene and let me look at stats, replays, the coach and players on the sideline, anything really. Oh and it's really lame that I can't look at my stats when an opponent rage quits.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

One last small thing, do not allow unlimited loving pauses. How did that make it into the game. Ridiculous.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Did they change the part where you can spam pause the game at any time for two minutes? That seriously might be the biggest deciding factor if I get the game this year or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Did you change the in game pausing mechanism?

• Locked thread