Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's the story with the fellowship quests at this point? Is there an easy way to get a group for them, is there a mechanic to make them solo-able, etc?

I just rememberd the last time I played this I was a little annoyed at having to skip a lot of that lowbie content because of small fellowship quests that you coudln't find people for any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok another silly question: what's the deal with mounts these days.

I'm half recalling something about how if you subbed for a month you got that skill and I know I subbed for a month or two the last time I played this. Would that have only been on my old main, or does that carry through to this new character too?

Basically I've got a nice little stash of LOTRO bux from the last time I played, but I'd prefer to hang onto them for unlocking an expansion down the road or something. On the other hand if I do just need to cough up the 95 to buy the skill, I will.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lum_ posted:

mounts - i recommend getting the account-wide package from the store that gives you a mount at level 5 and makes every mount the fastest speed in the game but it's spendy.

Which package is this?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Soooooo I'm looking at all of these various packs to get the horse unlock and random other crap and then I'm looking at all the extra skills and feats and whatever slots I need to just buy with LOTRObux as my character levels and then I'm looking at what stays unlocked after a month of premium.

Right now my read is that I'm probably best served just throwing down for a month of premium, doing the lvl20 quest to get a horse, and then using LOTRObux (probably the 500 from that month of premium) to buy the account-wide gold cap removal.

Make a bunch of random alts in case I ever decide to level a burglar or something in another 5 years, log them in once while I've got premium enabled to get the unlocks that stay after it expires, and call it good.

That sound reasonable? Am I missing anything obvious here?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I tried for months to get a group for that the first time I found it. As far as I can tell no one runs those three men, which is a pitty because it looks like a fun one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

piano chimp posted:

Regarding lootboxes, I've come across a method of getting 3-4 keys for 4 gold and 30 mins of actual playtime followed by about 1hr30 of AFK farming if you are a subscriber.

if you have a 3+ year old account, a

How do they calculate that? Because I spooled up my account in 2016 and I've only got the 2 year box.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

piano chimp posted:

I found this post from a dev via the wiki but I still don't really understand it to be honest!

I created my account at launch but only get up to the 10 year box, I guess because I didn't log in for a few years.

Well that would explain it. Womp womp.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what’s the story with war of the three peaks? When I was thinking of getting back in I found a lot of people that were salty about it. Worth grabbing on the sale price?

I’ve got zero real idea what the angst was about etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving laffo if :pgi: is doing the lotto revamp.

RIP

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quill posted:

They're a small team, so getting more hands on deck is an absolute plus.

The reason you should be concerned is that it’s loving PGI, a company that has managed to make mechwarrior games staggeringly mediocre.

Maybe the individual people are technically competent. If it’s just coding for hire and they’re working under someone else’s supervision then hey, might work out.

If it’s more of hiring the project out and the people who make decisions at PGI have any hand it it then womp womp.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cutedge posted:

I guess the question is if they really think they can get LOTRO on consoles (lol), will they just fork it and make a completely different feeling game and ultimately leave pc lotro alone? I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I'm not opposed to a UI revamp, it can't get much worse (famous last words). The combat in LOTRO is also, I dunno it's fine? But it's not great and never has been.

I mean, they got Star Trek Online on consoles and the skill bar system in LotRO is fairly similar. Figure at least sis

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

MWO specifically was mediocre for a long time and it turns out it was mostly Russ Bullock, he kept making bad decisions and disregarded player feedback. Since he stopped paying attention to that game earlier this year, it's taken a turn for the better.

MW5 was also staggeringly mediocre and they routinely release mediocre expansions that break all the mods that make it less mediocre.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blackdog420 posted:

Don't mind me, just leveling up a new character in Lord of the Rings Online in the year 2021

Lol whatup new character buddy.

Just finished out Book I last night, on to Moria.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised how active the lowbie areas are. I mean, they're not crazy busy, it's nothing like week 1 of a new MMO launch or anything, but I've also spooled up a few random new characters just to see stuff like the dwarf intro area and I've been amazed that I'm not the only person there.

I've also been walking past a fair whack of other lvl 30s, lvl 40s, lvl 50s etc. in the appropriate areas.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

piano chimp posted:

It has been nice seeing the 1-50 zones being busy but I have had difficulty getting groups for dungeons, though that's probably because I'm playing at weird times.

I've frozen my level at 51 so I can slowly make my way through the volume 1 books before hitting Moria. I've really enjoyed it so far and like how they've been bending the limits of the source material to create some interesting stories. My only gripe is that every other book mission seems to end in you fighting the big bad to about 10% HP before they pull out some reverse Uno card, stun you and then gently caress off into the night. It's really unsatisfying and completely over-used. I hope it's not like this in Moria+.

Yeah, the dungeons are the one big sore spot. There are a few that they've added an extra mechanic to to make solo-able, but I'm not quite sure how to define it . I found it in the side-quest you get at the tail end of Book 1, where you discover the ghost of a dead king and Aragorn and Elrond are all "oh gently caress he's still around? He was a chill dude, go see if you can figure out how to help him find peace" and then you gently caress off back to the Arctic for a bit.

Basically the dungeon still has the insane 1m+ HP bosses, but they give you a follower buddy that you summon with a horn like it's a skirmish, and he buffs the poo poo out of you. It gets a tad bit tedious whittling down the bosses, but honestly not TOO tedious. It's treading on the line, but right about when you're about ready to really be done they keel over.

Really neat little story, really cool lore, and just satisfying as gently caress. I think I got a pretty beastly weapon from it too, if it's the quest reward I'm thinking of.

A lot of the old instances, though, don't have that. I really wish they'd add that mechanic for a few of the big ones, especially the one where you go off to recover the simiril to reforge Narsil. That one I've read you can solo once you hit lvl 70-ish or so, especially if you are a class with good AOE, so that's my plan. It will be a little out of order, but whatever.

My rule of thumb has been that anything that's rated for a small fellowship I can solo witout too much drama, but the full fellowship ones are too much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quick question about the new legendary system:

I assume all the +experience rewards you get from quests are basically pointless now? I've also got a couple tokens sitting around for +60k legendary experience here and there, I'm guessing those are trash too?

From what I can tell you use some little consumables to level up traceries, and then every 5 levels or so reforge the weapon to level it up with you. That the broad strokes?

FWIW I like this new system form what I'm seeing. Way better than burning piles of "irreplicable weapons from another age" in order to marginally increase another one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DryGoods posted:

There's supposed to be a LI Reward Track coming Soon-ish for the LI XP. Doesn't do any good if you get quest experience now, though.

I'm starting fresh with a Beorning so hopefully all that's straightened out, more or less, by the time I get to Moria.

Meh, I'm not too worried about that. I figure even if I flush 20 or 30 levels of item xp down the toilet there's always more. That poo poo tend to scale up hard at higher levels anyways, assuming that the LI XP is anything like character XP.

I mean, gently caress, how many levels would you lose off your average lvl 60 if you magically deleted all the XP you earned at lvl 10 and below? Like. . . half a level? One, maybe?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there any use for essences in the new LI system? Can you burn them or disenchant them or whatever? Or are they just vendor trash?

edit: same question for the lore stones with stored LI xp.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 5, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is it just me or is the new LI system incredibly obtuse?

I mean the basics are OK. Get item, reforge item every few levels to make number bigger, slot in poo poo. OK, so far so good.

But I just went on an epic journey through a wiki to figure out how to get new, better poo poo to slot in the holes in my sword.

Ok, so I can't figure out where to buy these word of craft traceries, and I've got this class item that could use a heraldic one as well. Good enough place to start. Well, the tutorial missions when I got it at the start of Moria took me to the reforge guys so Im' guessing one of them sells them.

Nope.

Google tells me that it's this vendor no one ever told me about hidden in a corner of Elrond's pad in Rivendell. Ok, that's not great, maybe mention that somewhere. So I find the lady and . . . she sells weapons. Ohhhh. . . these bookshelves are technically stores too. okaaaayy. . . . but I need ancient script. More google and wiki stuff tells me apparently I get it from disenchanting traceries I already have. Hrm, ok, I stumbled on some repeatable quests in moria that let me get some so I've got a few extra, and it looks like I get them via disenchanting them. No biggie, I remember my old main has an "appraise" dialog to burn his old LIs so that must be it, right?

No.

Ok, more googling and it turns out that I need to use a flame of alchenar on each one I want to burn. A consumable item to disenchant things I'm going to presumably be getting enough of that it's going to take like 3-5 of them to buy a new thing? That's. . . . not great but whatever. So obviously they must sell those at the reforge dudes, right? Or maybe even in that store that Elrond's got above the cafeteria now, that would make sense!

No. It's a seemingly random assortment of vendors that are no where near the places I need to spend this crap.

:psyduck:

I get that this is all new systems etc and I dig the core of what they're doing, but wow. Some of this is pretty dense. Like, just let me toss these things in a burn menu with the LI and relic stuff. I mean, hell, you already have a relic burning menu. Just do that again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

I was messing around leveling my captain a few weeks ago when it first dropped, and after reading up on it a bit, I just decided not to bother logging back in until they get their poo poo together.

The kicker is that it has the guts of a good system, at the very least way better than the old one they had where you were constantly leveling and burning "priceless artifacts of bygone ages."

It just feels extremely first draft, like the kind of thing you'd throw at alpha testers with a 10 page pdf of notes and explanations to solidify the fundamentals before integrating the COL poo poo that makes it workable for the average player.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was always amused by the old LI system throwing third age LIs at you in Moria, a place that fell during the second age. Sure, maybe some of those could be stuff that got looted during Balin's attempt to retake Moria but his army wasn't all armed with a bunch of legendary-grade gear.

I mean, I can think of another group of dwarves who just happened to find a random crate of legendary poo poo behind a bush and used them to tool up to beat down an anime tentacle monster :haw:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Seriously, though, the way they give you your LI at Moria - which is basically the same in the new system as the old one, minus a side trip to Rivendell IIRC - is kinda lame.

You're getting a loving ~*~Legendary weapon from a bygone age~*~ that everyone around you is like OH SHIIII- go hit that loving giant rear end awful monster in the face with it! It loving screams to have a neat little mini-quest arc where you go recover it from the depths of a haunted crypt or find it clutched in the grasp of the dead hands of a legendary warrior next to the lair of some hosed up monster you need to kill or take it from the corpse of a orc warband leader or loving SOMETHING. Like, "you just killed something big or did something cool, look at this awesome Sword of +5 Asskicking" is a staple of RPGs as a genre to the point where it's pretty trite and people go out of their way to find ways to mix it up. Still, it's just satisfying to finish chaos dunking some big bad and take their poo poo.

But no, the dwarves who we just helped engage in a fighting retreat from an eldritch horror just tell you "oh yeah, we found a whole crate of these ancient weapons in the weeds, they look pretty sharp, here take your pick of like two dozen types we have available - I bet those could get through the hide of that Cthulhu in the pond"

It's so, so anti-climactic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Carrying craft alls are on sale, if you've got some extra LOTRO Bux burning a hole in your pocket.

I'm sure this is just me being gone for a long time and old as gently caress news, but goddamn getting a large one of those was one of the biggest QOL improvements i've had in a while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was always amused by the old LI system throwing third age LIs at you in Moria, a place that fell during the second age. Sure, maybe some of those could be stuff that got looted during Balin's attempt to retake Moria but his army wasn't all armed with a bunch of legendary-grade gear.

From a bit ago but this has stuck in the back of my head for some reason.

Moria fell in the middle of the third age, almost exactly between the ring getting lost at the end of the 2A and the War of the Ring at the end of the 3A.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I was just grinding rep in the barrows to finish off Bree and got some barrow cheese, then ate it to free inventory space while thinking to myself "you gotta be pretty dumb to eat cheese from a tomb."

Now I've got a 15 minute duration DOT on me and earned a title: "The Unwise"

poo poo like that is why I like this game. Why yes, you are unwise for eating tomb cheese.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't really care about spoilers, but I also kind of enjoy being as dumb as possible to cheevo hunt.

Like that well in Moria. First time I saw it I went "I wonder. . . . " and dove down it to my death. And yup, dumb achievement.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress the Scuttledells.

That is all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone know what you're supposed to do if the LI change hosed up the "baby's first LI" quest chain you have to do to unlock Moria?

I got an old-system weapon and didn't level it up enough to do the "first reforge" quest. Now I have the new-system first reforge quest, the guy won't reforge my weapon (is there a character level requirement? I'm at 48), and the weapon itself no longer earns xp towards an old-system reforge (if such a thing is even still possible).

If the wiki is correct about the new LI system, I should be able to reforge as often as every character level, right?

I think you reforge every 5 levels, at least that's what I've been getting.

So if I'm understanding right you have an old LI but you're past the quest that gets your your first LI, and you need to do the quest that reforges it to get into Moria?

I think the answer to this is going to be to buy a new style LI with that scrip that you get for burning traceries. Try appraising the old LI to burn it, and if that gives you enough to buy a weapon from that guy in Rivendell you're set. If not you'll need to get more scrip, which is where having an alt with access to Moria would come in handy because there are a few really, really short and easy quests that throw traceries at you, and you can disenchant those.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I couldn't slot old bridles I had in my bank.

That's got to really screw with Rohan, along with kind of loving over anyone who didn't already have a maxed out bridle.

oof, I haven't gotten to Rohan yet.

How hosed are we talking? Don't bother until they fix it hosed, or your can slog through it hosed?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Note that at least one of those Elf's quests really do need to be done with a fellowship, just because there are two things that need to be done at once and you physically need two players for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bagrada posted:

^ Glad you found a work around.

Maybe obvious enough for someone to figure out, but if you get an error when you want to equip your new version LIs if you have any old versions equipped. You can have 2 old or 2 new but not one of each, it bars you from equipping the opposite kind. Obvious in retrospect but it stumped me for a moment because I was tired and unequipped my spear and shield instead of my spear and javelin and didn't realize I still had the old javelin on.

I finished Mirkwood finally, in a volley of skirmishes and instances. The epilogue starting with step 2 apparently wants dungeon and raid runs, so I'll backburner that for 40 levels. On to Isengard, eventually.

The epilogue there was completely solo-able up until the final thing, which isn't a raid but a fellowship one. I've backburnered it too, but you can get right up to that final step with ease.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My guess is holiday time off + new expansion = higher player counts than normal and the servers are smoldering a bit.

Hell, throw FFIV's server issues in to the pile too, I've seen a surprising number of people talking about how they're hitting LOTRO while FFIV is unplayable. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some significant cross over between people who play the two games, given that they're both story heavy fantasy MMOs.

It's an older game and chances are they don't have a ton of flex in their server allotment and don't want to sign up for more capacity because they know it will return to the mean by Feb.

Hell, throw onto that general hosting issues. I don't know who they're buying their space from, but AWS has had a few issues in the last couple of weeks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I doubt it's game killing, if only because I've seen so many f2p mmos do dumb poo poo and keep trucking for years. Not to say it's not going to piss a bunch of people off, but I've weathered way too many "this is the end, they're going ot have to shut down" tempest in various teacups in others mmos.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Have you gotten past the starter zones?

Because I though it really picked up on the back half of book 1. Book 2 (moria) is really good too.

The ballad of Bingo Boffin is also legit really entertaining and one of the better long form side quest chains I can remember in any game, mmo or not.

I also feel zero compunction about skipping bad quests. If a zone is full of people who want bear asses I just sail on by and stick to the main quests.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It’s probably vanilla as hell but I gotta say I love my champion.

Also have a lvl 70ish guardian I played years back. It’s OK but not nearly as fun as that big goofy champion swinging his 2h sword in circles like a madman.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xZAOx posted:

. Basically to the point where I need to buy Gundabad, but I don't think I will.

IIRC Gundabad's going to be available for lotro bux in like . . . march? May? Something like that, an early-ish month that begins with "M".

Which is to say that if you aren't running head long into a wall and want to play RIGHT NOW you're probably pretty safe just hoarding your tokens as you murder wolves and find ruins etc and doing it that way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

eonwe posted:

I tried *twice* to get into this game and I bounced off because I just had no idea what I needed to buy.

So it sounds like if you have a sub you have everything up to the current expansion or something right?

The only other reason I bounced off was I wanted to do dungeons and couldn't really find anyone to help me even if I did LFF in chat.

Just dive in and don't buy poo poo until you notice you're in an area without quests. Maybe, maybe get a month sub up front to get a mount but honestly you'll get enough funbux to buy that in the store pretty quickly too.

As for the dungeons, most of them aren't plot important and the ones that are are usually doable solo once you outlevel them by a ton.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

What made Rohan such a huge, boring slog was that it was basically a single zone stretched out and made to fill two whole expansions.

East Rohan:

1. Go to <quest hub>.
2. Talk to the thane in the mead hall.
3. Prove your mettle by performing 6-12 cookie-cutter quests for random citizens.
4. Do a final instanced quest.
6. Repeat

Honestly this is a problem even pre-Rohan. I've got a character stalled out in Dunland and it's just non stop go to village, talk to village head person, kill some poo poo or get some boar butts etc, move on. Reminds me a lot of the procedurally generated radiant quests in Bethesda games.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

How is that possible? They only manage two games!

Old MMOs have their staff cut down to the bone in order to basically keep them chugging along and providing a modest profit to whoever bought them for that exact purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Aragorn sent me to Evendim to get something to help reforge Narsil and the views from the coast are beautiful.

Was that part of a recent update or something? I did that quest line on an alt like. . . .three or four months ago and don't remember it looking that good, goddamn.