Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Played 30 minutes or so of this on a trial account way back in the day, decided to check it out again. Currently running a Champion around Archet and killing bandits and boars and having a pretty good time. :unsmith:

In the game as Aestrin if anyone wants to throw me an invite to the goonkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, so I'm giving this another try. Played a trial back in 2007, then gave it another go a couple of years ago but stopped playing for some reason I can't remember.

Currently playing a human Champion at level 16, but the class gameplay doesn't feel terribly exciting so far. I play all MMO:s extremely casually, so I just want something that can solo regular content comfortably while also having some survivability. I don't do much group content, so the possibility of soloing some group stuff later on would also be cool. A bit of googling seems to suggest either Hunter or Warden would be suitable for a solo-focused playthrough, is this still accurate?

Also, how's the goon activity these days? I rolled on Landroval and I got into Nazgun last time I played but it doesn't seem very active.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, by this point I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with this game for a while. :dance:

For an 11-year old MMO, it still manages to have pretty nice graphics and a good sense of immersion. I went into the Old Forest for the first time late at night with the lights out and headphones on, and it was pretty much as terrifying as I'd imagined it would be. Never thought I'd feel relieved and happy to meet Tom Bombadil of all characters, but there you go.

I'll be sticking with the F2P model, so right now I'm looking for advice on which quest pack to buy. I found some codes for cheap online, so I got the expansion quad pack (Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard and Rohan), but since I need to be 50-ish to start getting into Moria I'll probably need another zone or two of questing. I got a code for the Steely Dawn starter pack which included the Evendim quest pack, so I think I'm pretty much set up until level 40, but there seems to be some differing opinions on the best 40-50 zone.
Forochel, Misty Mountains and Angmar seem to be the obvious candidates, but I'm not sure which one to go for. I guess either Misty Mountains or Angmar would be nice to have for lore-related reasons, but I don't know if the quality of the quests make them worth buying? Forochel I don't know anything about except it seems to be LotRO Greenland.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

edit: Angmar is a pretty miserable place to be and isn't really worth it unless you're committing to doing the Volume 1 Epic all the way through, which I can't recommend for so many reasons.

Out of curiosity, what’s so bad about it?

I’ve only done the epic quests up to and including the instanced part in the barrow, but so far it’s been mostly alright.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks for all the input! I think I’ll be going with Misty Mountains first, then Angmar and Trollshaws.

I’m dividing my time between two characters (Hobbit Guardian and Elf Warden) and I still haven’t decided on which one I should go with for my main, but in any case it’ll be good to have some options for questing instead of having to run the same content twice.

Reading quest text and exploring pretty landscapes is my favorite activity in any MMO, so I’ll probably try to do all the epic stuff at least once.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

Also, if you haven't already make sure to roll an alt to start in the Shire and do the quests there: it's an experience that's totally unique to LOTRO. There's also an "alternative epic" called the Tale of Bingo Boffin which you pick up there which has a cute story that continues all the way up through Rohan.

My Guardian is a hobbit, so I’ve already done the Shire starting zone and I agree that it’s amazing (with the possible exception of mail/pie delivery). I made sure to complete every single quest and deed before moving on to Bree-land. Compared to the human starting zone, the Shire is so much better it’s not even funny.

I’m doing the Bingo epic alongside the regular content, and so far it’s been great. Well, getting surrounded by a gang of 4-5 wights while looking for his lost journal wasn’t that great but at least I survived.

Conskill posted:

While both tanks, Guardians and Wardens play radically differently. AS though they weren't even designed for the same video game differently. You should be able to get a solid idea of which one you want to stick with as you go forward. Since you're buying stuff, and seem to be tanky-oriented, you may want to glance at Beornings (the wiki is out of date, check the recent release notes instead on the forums). Tank/DPS/Heal split with ridiculous solo survivability in their heal line. And you get to be a bear.

They also get bonus points for me for being the one race in LOTRO with the most vivid spread of skin tones, despite being pegged into a pseudo-Norse styling.

I’m not that interested in tanking itself (mainly be cause I’ve managed to suck at it badly in any MMO I’ve tried), but I wanted to play something that could conceivably solo at least some of the group content (not necessarily entire instances, but group quests and stuff like that), because I predict it’s going to be tough to find someone to group with because A) I’m an EU player on a US server, so I’ll never be playing at peak times, and B) I’ll be doing non-endgame content in an 11-year old MMO.

The internet seemed to think that Warden (because of self-heals and a lot of utility skills) and Guardian (because of general tankiness and survivability) would be most suitable if you wanted to be able to solo as much as possible.

I’ve still got a free character slot, so if it turns out I was wrong I can try out something else. :)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So what I've been doing for fun on my first real playthrough is having the LotR audiobook on in the background as I play, and it's pretty amazing how many details they got right. For instance, I'd completely forgotten that Archet, Combe, Staddle and other areas of the Bree starting zone were actually mentioned and discussed in the books.

Also, does anyone ever use the instance finder? I got in a queue to find a group for the Great Barrow then played for ~2 hours while I waited but nothing happened.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm considering playing this for some stupid reason, how viable is it for either f2p or one-time small purchase?

I got the Quad Pack for cheap from here. It gets you the first four expansions as well as a free mount and unlocks the Warden class. It also makes your F2P account into Premium (or whatever it’s called), which unlocks some other QoL stuff like
more character slots.

You’ll probably need to buy at least one more quest pack to level high enough to do expansion content, but the F2P zones should get you to 30-something and if you keep doing Deeds (Achievements) in each zone you’ll earn LotRO-bucks to buy more content in the in-game store.

I think there’s also some additional features that you get as a subscriber and then get to keep even after your subscription expires but I’m not entirely sure what as I’ve never subscribed.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I'm closing in on lvl45, at which point I've been told I should get my first legendary item ASAP.

However, I'm enjoying playing through the epic a lot (just started Book 7) and to get the legendary I'll have to skip ahead to chapter II and do some of the Moria stuff. Can I put Chapter I on hold, go get my legendary, then return and play the rest of the pre-Moria epic quests, or will I be locked out if I choose to skip ahead and go to Moria?

EDIT: I've bought Angmar with LotrO points and I've finished up all the Aughaire quests except the one where you need to kill elite dragons. Will the rest of Angmar be enough to get me to level 50, or should I get another zone as well? I've got ~1000 LotrO points left so I could afford any one of them. I was considering Misty Mountains earlier, but didn't really get a feel for it once I went there for the epic quests. I've finished all of Evendim (except Elendil's Tomb) already.

Also, I've got a low-level character in the goonkin from earlier but haven't touched it since starting my warden. If anyone's online these days feel free to throw an invite to Aedhwen.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 25, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

queeb posted:

whats a good solo/group class for just bombing through for the lore and solo questing?

I’m playing the game in the same way, and so far the Warden has been amazing. I’m at lvl50 currently and can just wade into enemy camps and
mow everything down with little effort. Most elite mobs and group quests are soloable as well, and I’m not even very good at the game.

The gambit system is pretty easy to learn and you’ll memorize the combo skills as you earn them.

Also, you can switch between melee and ranged DPS with a single button, which is useful sometimes.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 7, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Finally finished Vol. I of the epic quest line. Mostly enjoyable, but gently caress ever doing books X-XV without access to quick travel and teleport skills. So glad I’m playing a Warden.

On to Moria! :getin:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DryGoods posted:

servers still look to be down but saw this on the launcher

https://lotro.com/en/friends

lotro.com posted:

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

:unsmith:

Fittingly enough I've just started fighting the diseased fungus-orcs at the deepest levels of Moria. :stonklol:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Steely Dawn Starter Pack is a pretty good deal. It’s really cheap and gives you a set of cosmetic armor, 500
LotRO bucks and the Evendim content pack, which will cover all your leveling needs for at least 10 levels (I went from 31-43 without ever leaving the zone and I didn’t even do all of the quests and none of the instances).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

Level 45 (maybe 46 now) and game is fun, moving on to misty/angmar, which should I do first?

If you’re already 45, I’d say go for Angmar. I headed there at 42 and still had a whole bunch of quests left to do when I started Eregion and Moria at 48.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bagrada posted:

muster teleports

Not gonna lie, if it hadn’t been for Warden teleports I probably wouldn’t ever have bothered completing Volume I of the epic quest line. Book VII to XV is basically a non-stop travel session back and forth between Rivendell and Angmar, so having instant, no-cooldown teleports was real helpful.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, I've only run through Moria once so far and while it was an amazing* experience, I really don't want to go through it again any time soon.

* Still bummed that you can't climb the Endless Stair all the way from the Foundations of Stone to Zirakzigil. :smith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

If anyone's online these days feel free to throw an invite to Aedhwen.

Quoting myself from earlier, would still like an invite for my warden if possible :unsmith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

For crafting, I’ve been leveling Mining and Weaponsmithing as I level, but I haven’t bothered crafting any actual gear to sell yet, I just grind by smelting a shitload of ore to improve my Mining, then repeatedly turning ingots into shavings and then back into ingots to level Weaponsmithing.

Are there any particular pre-endgame recipes that sell well that I should look out for? I’m at the post-Moria tier (Westfold?) at the moment.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

I mean, it's not really that hard to figure out why...disdain of technology, reverence for mythical traditional village life, the sense that the best days were in the past, female characters existing only to be married, obsession with bloodlines and racial purity, reverence for monarchies and Great Men, distrust of the ravening barbarian foreign hordes... To be clear that's definitely not all that's going on in Tolkien, and SSG (or really MadeOfLions and the other quest writers) have worked very hard, especially in the the post-Mordor stuff, to question and complicate this, but it's not exactly a huge stretch from the source material.

It's always fun to tell them to go read Tolkien's letters where he explains exactly what he thinks about Hitler and racism in general.

Also, racists are also immensely dumb and will never engage with anything beyond a surface level.

It's pretty much

except the robot is a Númenórean or something

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

Judging LotR by Tolkien's letters to the Nazis is similarly "surface level" analysis.

Yes, but judging his opposition to Hitler and racism by the letters in which he literally says "I hate Hitler and racism" isn't surface-level, IMO. It doesn't make LotR entirely unproblematic, but at least it's something to throw in the face of the idiots who proclaim Tolkien was an out-and-proud advocate of the supremacy of the white race.

sassassin posted:

proper Numenoreans can be Great or Terrible

I prefer the take that Númenóreans as a society were so obsessed with huffing their own farts it literally broke the world.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

And then they throw back how he talked about the gold-obsessed dwarfs being modelled on Jewish people and the whole discussion gets very unseemly.

Dwarf-Lord Sórós and the Annúminati faction confirmed for next expansion. :tinfoil:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bagrada posted:

And in case you missed it there's a sale on races and char slots and storage this week.

Picked up High Elves and Stoutaxes at 250 LotrO-bucks each, now I just need to decide what alt(s) to play.

How are Captains for soloing these days?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Also all expansions (except the two most recent) will go on sale for 99 cents, so basically you can be a drunk hobbit for free forever.

Apparently it's 99 LotrO points, not 99 cents:

quote:

Additionally, in the near future, we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points:

So you could basically get nearly all of the expansions for free just by killing poo poo and doing deeds. :getin:

EDIT: If I already got the Quad Pack, the only expansion I could get for cheap would be Helm's Deep, right?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I was starting to feel a bit of burnout slogging through Mirkwood, but this announcement will probably be motivation enough to power through and move on to Isengard and all the other stuff :dance:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

I redeemed the code that the Devs put out on twitter and I understand there's a loaf of stuff at a greatly reduced price (99 points?!) Should I just get the ~ 900 points required to redeem all that and I'm set? Is there's anything really cheap on the store that's considered essential for a newer player or should I be exhausting all the free content.?

The expansion pack discounts aren’t live yet AFAIK but coming soon.

No need to buy points, just play the game and do as many deeds as you can in every zone as you level. In case you didn’t already know, deeds are separate from quests and are more like proto-achievements (kill X orcs, visit all the ruins in a single zone, etc). They usually award between 5-20 LotrO points each.

Another useful thing from the store is the currency wallet. It lets you store all the faction-specific currency items you find in a separate limitless bag instead of having them take up inventory space.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

flowinprose posted:

They just went live a couple of hours ago, in fact. Note however that this is the "expansion quest" packs... not the "Expansion" itself per se. I'm not really sure that there is much difference besides maybe some title and minor cosmetic items.

I’m assuming that means you get the quests and dungeons but not the new classes like Warden, etc.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

The game seems really quite dead though, I've not really come across anyone on the EU-RP server yet. Except a small band of very high level players who were doing some sort of RP tour of the Shire, which was quite fun to watch.

Several EU goons (myself included) are on US-Landroval where the goon kinship is. The ping has been nearly identical every time I've compared US and EU servers.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

queeb posted:

how are beornings? Seems like a cool unique kinda shapeshifting thing

edit: or guardians, mainly as soloing to endgame/groups

Yellow line (yes, the healing spec) beorning are supposedly insane soloing machines because your self-heals can outheal almost anything the game throws at you and you don’t have a Power meter so you never run out and can just keep going forever.

Mine is only in the mid-20s so far but I’ve been steamrolling everything in the Breelands without ever going below 80%.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

queeb posted:

is yellow line the way to go for beorning soloing? lol the first damage trait in yellow is for a level 40 skill, not too useful at level 6

As I said, I’m only mid-20s so I can’t tell you how it’s like at max level but right now I can handle groups of 6-8 equal-level mobs simultaneously with zero effort. The point isn’t to do mad DPS, just whittle then down while keeping yourself healed. Since you don’t have a power meter you have effectively endless power (and therefore endless heals) as long as you keep an eye on your cooldown timers.

If you want BIG NUMBERS and kill 1-2 mobs at a time super quickly I guess red line works better at the low levels but supposedly struggles to keep up as you hit mid- and high levels.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

I've been playing extremely casually for the past couple months and am now at 52 on my warden. About a month ago I reached a point in the epic quest where I realized I was not, in fact, about to start Moria but actually barely halfway done the first book. I was going through the stuff at a pretty steady pace until this amarthiel stuff started. Why is this so long and agonizingly dull? Was this originally stuff added post launch to lead into the first expansion or something? I was enjoying it until it became me having to go back and forth from Rivendell and revisiting the greatest hits of the first 50 levels.

You were "done" with the first book after the fight you had with Mordirith, because that's where the original Shadows of Angmar ended. The rest is pre-expansion filler that really should have been put in its own book. All of it isn't bad (although gently caress doing it on a class without easy access to fast travel, lol), but it's a bit of a slog early on. Like jalapeno_dude said, just do it for completion and it'll make more sense later on.

What I did to make things easier was to beeline for the free legendary item in Moria (you need to do the first few quests of Book II), then do all of Eregion to gain a few easy levels before powering through the rest of the Angmar stuff. You also get a deed and a title for completing it, if that's your kind of thing.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Agreed, Moria is goddamn amazing. I don’t think any other CRPG (MMO or otherwise) has managed to implement a fully underground open-world zone on a scale like it.

The non-epic quest content can get a bit repetitive (unless you really enjoy clearing out orc camps), but the zones themselves more than make up for it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So I’m level 38 and just got to the Trollshaws but I’m not a fan of the zone. Too claustrophobic. Is there a better area to go to to blast out the next 10 levels before heading to Moria? Misty Mountains? What’s a fun zone y’all would recommend with some good questing?

Evendim is really open and not at all claustrophobic and also has some nice visuals (Trollshaws is still prettier, IMO). It’s in the 30-40 range, though, so you’ll probably outlevel the first half of the zone.

The first few quest hubs in Angmar are probably enough to get you the rest of the way to level 45.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Does anyone know why LotrO abandoned the classic expansion pack model, then brought it back? I've seen people refer to the Gondor content as a "shadow expansion" because it was delivered as a series of updates/quest packs instead.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Elblanco posted:

So I'm jumping in on a fresh dwarf guardian, I got the free quests as well. Should I do the story in the normal order or is there a better quest line to hit up? I noticed DDO had a new and better starting area, so I was wondering if that was true here too, or are all the free quests just for higher levels?

The first three zones are free to all players (although the starting area varies with which race you’re playing so it’s really the first five zones). As a Dwarf you’ll go from Ered Luin (1-10) to Bree-lands (10-20) to the Lonelands (20-30).

If you’ve entered the code for the free quest packs, you’ve also got every zone from that point to level 50 (which is where the original game ended).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Can you elaborate a bit? I got friendly with Lothlórien just to access the city but then jumped into Mirkwood as the rep rewards seem better. I’ve spent a day there and upgraded a lot of my jewelry already. Lothlórien seemed to have a bunch of junk repeatable quests that I figured I could skip.

Lothlórien is fine but the epic quest line in the last part of the Moria expansion and all throughout Mirkwood isn’t very well written, maybe that’s what they’re referring to?

SURPRISE! You’re going back into Moria again! Let’s kidnap some random orc chief and drag his rear end all the way through the hostile territory we’re invading so we can maybe cut a deal with the servants of Sauron, that won’t ever go horribly wrong!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is this wedding event going away after a limited time or can I still do the quests when I’m at the appropriate point in the epic quest line?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LOL, I just noticed that the Helm's Deep expansion is still nearly twice the price of Mordor and Minas Morgul in the in-game store, even after they gave away all the quest content for (almost) free this summer. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bobfly posted:

My highest level character is a warden, and after about 2 years out of the gameplay loop, it's quite overwhelming! I suppose I could just go out into the world and experiment - I am only level 32 after all - but are there any more general-concept guides to wardens out there? I COULD sit through a 40 minute video explaining dungeon tactics and high level gearing in detail, but, uh, I won't.

Unless you're hell-bent on soloing every single bit of group content (which, to be fair, wardens are pretty good at), you probably don't need a guide. Just knowing your AoE, DoT and self-heal gambits by heart and making sure you know how to execute them quickly will get you through most stuff easily, including some group quests.

Not sure how well this applies to leveling dungeons, as I've never been able to find a group for one. :(

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Candrr posted:

How is the guild pop. and the game pop. I am thinking about jumping in, I am bored of the other mmos I play, and I am a huge Lotr fan. Just wondering if I am gonna have any Goons to play with.

The game pop is small but stable I think, the latest shift in ownership revealed some metrics that indicated there were around 108,000 active players, 41,000 of which were paying subscribers.

It’s no WoW or even an ESO, but it’ll probably be around for a while.

There’s a goon guild on Landroval, but I’ve no idea how active it is because I still haven’t managed to be online at the same time as the people who have invite privileges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bobfly posted:

Man, they seriously need to copy ff14's potency format for their tooltips. "4187-4794 light damage" is just needlessly hard to parse when it could have said "light damage with a potency of 250" or whatever instead.

counterpoint: FF14’s potency format is dumb

4187-4794 gives you the actual damage interval which is a lot more useful than some abstract multiplier

like most old MMOs it could probably do with a numbers squash at some point but that’s another thing