Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Zipline posted:

IDK what to level. I got bored of my Hunter main, which is 40, and bought the Beorning. He's at 19 and I'm enjoying it but I hear the class is super gimped at cap. Is that true? In that case I might focus on a Minstrel of Guardian.

Not gimped, they are basically a jack of all trades so expect them to not be the best at dps, tanking, or healing, though they are decent/good at all 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

ruffz posted:

Yeah I got the hardcover version, I bought it from a UK seller through Amazon. It's normally $250-300 but during the holidays it dips below $200, so I had to pounce on it this year. I've heard that it's pretty difficult reading like the Silmarillion is. I feel like I'd have to read the Silmarillion a few more times before I'd fully follow everything.

It's very rough and unfinished. It's really just snippets from Tolkien's journals and manuscripts that his son pieced together and edited, and it very much feels like it, but if you're Middle Earth junkie, it is a definite read. Some parts are more interesting than others, but there is definitely a lot of stuff that colors in and fills the gaps that exist from the Silmarillion and the Hobbit/LOTR/Children of Hurin. It does give you a good idea on how he built the world, so that much is definitely interesting.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go Captain, Warden, or Guardian for my next character, just got a Beorning to 100 a few months ago and now I'm starting to feel the need to start the whole process over again.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I would also like to read more about Beornings since I was thinking of getting one.

They are like captains, but you don't need a pet, and you turn into a bear... also not as good at any particular role.

Blue line-Tank, they are ok, not anywhere near guardian or warden, but they can sort of do it, I would say if you were doing group play, they'd be decent off tanks. For solo survivability, oddly enough, pretty bad. Self heals are not very adequate, and I found myself in Yellow more often than not when facing harder enemies.

Red line-DPS, they are very bursty. Bear mode crits are devastating, and dps in man form is not bad either. Not champion level, but you will be able to keep up pretty well, and for solo, you are also pretty durable. Not a lot in terms of AOE, but with full wrath in bear form you can drop even on-level champions in 2-3 hits if you get crits.

Yellow line-god mode. You can heal out of anything solo, and your AOE bear heal is pretty amazing, the only real drawback is that it's not "on demand." You need to work up the requisite wrath cost to be able to turn into a bear and still have enough to use your heal. Otherwise you can put a beehive on someone and that person will get some of the heals you give out to others. You will also passively receive healing when you heal others. A minstrel is going to outheal you, so is a runekeeper, but the AOE healing is really good. If you are a fan of sparring, yellow line beornings don't lose them, except to dps Minstrels. Their cleanse is pretty good as well, since it removes every kind of debuff and has a low cooldown.

Mounted combat is awful, second to burglar in terms of just being a pain to play.

The main novelty is being a bear, and they are a very good soloing class. They are a jack of all trades, they can do every role, but they won't do it as well as someone who specializes in it.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

Wow I am just not able to play past level 75 I guess. As soon as I get to an area with enemies, I am hit with game freezing lag. Tried transferring to another server and playing another character on a third and same thing each time. This sucks.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

bombhand posted:

Coming to LOTRO (or back to LOTRO, in my case) after playing any even slightly-more-recent game is a bit of a shock in terms of the character models. I can absolutely see it turning off players before they get immersed enough to stay. War-steed problems don't hit until a player's well-invested, and it's an irritant but I would expect that in terms of actual dealbreakers, the muddy-looking characters are a much more pressing problem.

Eh, Warcraft picks up new players and their models look even worse, even the updated ones. I think most people going into a game that's 9+ years old are expecting some aged graphics.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Legendary servers died down quite a bit after the initial rush but are probably still a better place to level if you have no aspirations of seeing Mordor or beyond in the next year (they're about to start adding Rohan, I expect by the end of the year they'll have progressed into west or central Gondor)

Picking this up again after a few years away, if the core severs took a hit when the legendary one came out, you wouldn't know it.

Last time I started a new character on Brandywine it was a ghost town till Moria, and even then it was rare to see other players.

Actually running into more players now in the early areas than I have in a long time.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I haven't played LOTRO in a long rear end time, but the level cap is WHAT? :eyepop: I miss when this game was just up to Mines of Moria. I've been considering coming back, but it feels very overwhelming at this point for a returning player?

I just came back after over 3 years. If you pace yourself good, and play somewhat casually, it can take months to even get to Rohan, which starts at 75. Especially if you work on more than one character.

LOTRO really isn't about whipping through to the endgame as there is a ton of content at every level, so it helps to avoid feeling overwhelming.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

Warden/Hunter both good

I am having a blast on my burglar. Been cruising through, haven't faced a quest or enemy I could not solo yet and I am 55. Gambler is the way to go for leveling. And the no slow from fall damage skill is to me more useful than warden and hunter ports.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Is it important to do all of the book quests, or can I skip the ones that require that I put down money for them?

I always skip a good deal of the book and I am VIP when I play. When you get to Esteldin there are a lot of "go here, now go here, now go back to that first place, now go here, back to first place again" chapters that are quite annoying unless you're a Hunter or Warden.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

Picked up High Elves and Stoutaxes at 250 LotrO-bucks each, now I just need to decide what alt(s) to play.

How are Captains for soloing these days?

Probably in the best shape they have ever been in for it.

Damage output is good enough for you to be able to cruise through most content while also keeping yourself and your herald with heals.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

How the gently caress do I tell what content is on my account so I'm not buying things twice? I know in decades past, there used to be an account management page on the website that showed all your unlocks, but damned if I can find it now.

As far as I know, unlocks are only able to be bought once, then they become invisible.

The page you are looking for is accessed by clicking "my account" from the launcher.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure if chat causes the lag, or if it was something else that they've been fixing, but on Brandywine, I am getting 0% loss and over 100 fps as an average, and I usually run at like 40 fps and 50-60% loss.

If it is world chat that causes the lag issues, then they should kill it, I really haven't missed it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007

Was on Bullroarer today, and Wardens will actually have good self-heals again once update 32 goes live.

On live, Persevere heals me for 10,000, on test, it heals for 28k. More than triples your total healing compared to live.

The reward track is pretty rough looking, but it provides a good way of getting ancient script other than grinding instances.