Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
For Lothlorien, I think you can access a rope to the side of the gates to get into do the epic story, and perhaps turn in/get rep quests? I don't think you can explore beyond that without having reputation with them. Once you get enough reputation, you can go into the areas, but won't have any quests available unless you bought the QP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Captain has a lot of buttons to push. The Blue line won't heal as well as a minstrel, the red line won't hit as hard as a champ, the yellow line won't survive as long as a guardian (though it is good). That's the tradeoff, plus you get a big halberd if you want.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been waiting for Minas Tirith to drop to reinstall...I guess I'll do it tonight. Is the realm transfer stuff still going on? I need to transfer my folks from Brandywine to Landroval I guess.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Man, they've got to be joking with those faction armor pieces in Minas Tirith. 3 essence slots and they look like crap.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I always did Eregion to 45, get my legendary, then finish Eregion. Moria is doable at 45, but the issue is finishing all the content and being too low for Dunland, which would necessitate doing some lothlorien stuff

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I re-installed this for the first time in months, then ran up and down minas tirith for an hour doing stupid errands on the legendary quest, then uninstalled. I forgot how, unlike Shadow of War where you're a badass half-wraith orc-slaughtering hero, here you're the Middle Earth equivalent of an UberEats driver for Pippin.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think if you saw the difference between the avatar upgrades in WoW and expected something similar, you were bound to be disappointed. I could barely tell the difference, myself.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't think it's like this game to add a new system and then just abandon it arbitrarily.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've earned so many currencies thanks I'll never use again. Some go in the wallet and some don't.

Warhorses, slottable armor, skirmishes, legendary items, epic battles, traits, light of whatchamacallit... They've either been abandoned or have changed tremendously over the years.

It's ok, but drat if it doesn't make it difficult to figure out what to do after a long break. I thought Mordor was top tier but now it's back to Erebor I guess?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Wait Mordor is $40, but 2500 points which is enough for Mordor is $30? That can't possibly be right.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Every time I make a new alt I forget that I have to spend 70 points to get them riding. I know you earn those pretty easily but it's still annoying.

On the other hand my aoe champion tears through enemies, so there's that.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm a little surprised they didn't have some kind of essence combination system like the relic one.

It looks like there's a tremendous power inflation from lvl 105-115, so old essences are not gonna be too useful.

Since I don't own Mordor, I've been using t3 skirmishes to level. It's horrendous. The only redeeming factor is they're relatively quick. Epic battles might give better rewards but they are so time consuming. I can run skirms three times in the same time as a single epic.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If you have earned enough lotro points, the best first quest pack is Evendim, which can generally take you to level 40+. Because I'm a cheap masochist, I always take characters through there and then do epic quests/skirmishes/instances to get to 45 and then get to Moria.

The best cheapo (my specialty) way to do it is to subscribe, create 5 characters and level them to 20 to get the free riding skill, unsubscribe and then purchase the evendim pack with the 500 VIP points plus whatever you earned leveling your characters to 20 (even better if the quest pack is on sale). As you earn more TP, buy the wallet when it's on sale.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Can you still buy that pack? I don't see it on Steam anymore.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The anniversary exploration quests are really good at taking up a bunch of time. Why can't I quick travel to Moria from Bree, ffs

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's enough of a pain at around max level. Having to run from all the mobs sounds worse.

You're better off doing the dailies to get anniversary coins.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 24, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I forgot you need to pay TP for the trait tree bonuses and got sad. On the other hand, I've ground out about 500 TP and need another 600 or so to be able to afford Mordor, so I think I can do it. I have a bunch of Slayer deed accelerators from forever ago which is helping quite a bit.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Holy crap I just realized that I could use some of my 23k skirmish marks to buy rep items for some of the early factions, which equals easy TP.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

baby delivery truck posted:

What should I spend the premium currency on? I only have about 150 right now.

Horse is 95, that will save some time running around.
Get the enhanced wallet, you'll save inventory slots. Start saving for the Evendim quest pack which will get you to 40 or so.

quote:

Should I focus on saving crafting mats or enemy drops?

I save crafting mats but only if I have or plan to have an alt with an appropriate craft skill. It can be very useful for the early tiers but to have a bunch of materials so you're not outleveling
the resource drops. Later on you can sell craft materials for decent amounts of gold.

I almost always sell enemy drops, but you can use them to get some experience and faction rep. Again, early reputation factions have items that give you rep so it's not so important.

quote:

I bought a house, but whats the point of it? Also does it remind you when upkeep is due or do you just lose the house?

It's just a customization thing, though it has a shared chest for all your alts which is perfect for those aforementioned crafting mats

quote:

I waited a while to open my free horse, it just disappeared now, at level 22. I heard you get the riding skill for free at 20, but is that VIP only?

95 tp for riding skill, then go to the ranch in Bree and get a horse for 200 silver, I think?

quote:

I was grinding out a lot of hunter deeds too for the premium currency, but is this overkill? I feel really overleveled for a lot of quests. Is there something I should focus on finishing first? I'm a man captain if that matters.

Should I focus on the anniversary quests for now, or main game?

Do what you like. There's no reason to rush to endgame, and combat is pretty easy for the most part. The f2p zones can give you about 900 tp for each character, so you can get a decent number of upgrades. If you like the game, you should subscribe for a month. You get 500tp and it unlocks a whole bunch of stuff on all the characters you have you'd have to pay tp for otherwise, and it upgrades your account to premium which keeps a number of benefits.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Well between exchanging skirmish marks and grinding deeds I got the ~900 tp I needed for Mordor. The mobs are quite a bit harder, aren't they? I kind of like it- I've been used to smashing enemies from my warhorse for a while now, so it's a good change.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
PvMP is weird. I think everyone can play as a basic orc but you need to buy session tokens to play as your character unless you're subscribed.

It's been years since I played it, though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I have a million billion. How many do you need?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Alter Ego posted:

Whoever just sent me the legendary fragments, you're awesome. Keep being awesome. :allears:

You're welcome. It turns out you were right; 96 is not a million billion.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Minstrel red-line is ridiculously easy to level. You have enough aoe and self-heals to take on reasonably sized groups of enemies. The only easier time I had was with Hunter.

Meanwhile, I had to switch my Captain main to yellow line to not die immediately in Mordor and made it to 105, finally. I'm not certain that I'll be able to level correctly in the Mordor zones since I completed a bunch of quests to get to 105.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Getting that last 5% of stats is almost never worth the time invested, imho. The last time I ground out dailies was for Dol Amroth armor. The time before that was wrath of the lich king in wow.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got bagpipes on my dwarf minstrel for maximum "fun".

As annoying as skirmishes are, I've been successfully using them to level myself up to an appropriate level for Mordor. I did it for Moria too and the important thing is to not fool around with tiers or anything- just run them through and get the big chunk of xp at the end.

Skirmishes are also useful for a couple other things- you get some low-mid level LI relics and you can use them to complete deeds in the region the skirmish occurs, plus a decent amount of silver. And as I've mentioned before, you can use skirmish marks to buy reputation items for some factions which is ideal to get their travel skills and/or for the TP rewards

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Noooo, not another level cap increase. I was at the cap for one brief shining moment and then it passed and I'm always playing catch up. And forget about getting any alts there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They should just rename the game to festivals online

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They really need to even out DPS for quests and landscape crap and differentiate it for raids. Captain redline is super squishy and yellow line is indestructible but coma-inducing. Meanwhile, my minstrel sings at enemies and they die quickly.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Here's something interesting- when leveling from 105 to 106, with a bit of Mordor 300-ish gear, I was completing runs in minutes- the mobs had super low health comparatively. I was completing some of the offensive ones in about 5 minutes, at about 110k experience per run.

Going from 106-107, I chose a skirmish to finish out the level and the mobs had about double health compared to 105.

Moral of the story, it might be super efficient to do level 105 runs through the mid-high 100s, possibly even moreso than questing. I suspect instances would work similarly.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Captain is always needed in endgame, but getting there is a bear. They're currently working on a class balance patch, so it's possible that they will get a little better, but they've always pointed to their utility as a reason not to let them do competitive DPS.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Yeah, they need to get rid of heralds. 50% of the time they're getting killed and need to be resurrected mid-battle and the other 50% of the time they're pathing incorrectly and dragging 15 mobs after you.

TBH captain should be like necromancer in Diablo 2- abilities to just summon and buff a fuckton of soldiers to kill your enemies. On the other hand I can only imagine how many more client crashes I'd get if they actually did that.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I believe you can now go to any Captain trainer and they'll send you a herald appearance for a nominal fee. I dunno- I won't change my herald from the commoner because his name is Patsy.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Dick Trauma posted:

I just got to the NE Lone Lands and it's very dark and creepy and overrun with dead things and tough mobs that summon. Feels like a long, long way from The Shire.

The best part of the game is the atmosphere, bar none. Once you get into Moria you'll start feeling claustrophobic.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Here's my Mordor synopsis: it's hard, it's ugly, it's confusing, and it's fundamentally unfair.

It's hard- you need to get lots of light of earandil gear to negate the Mordor debuff, which takes some time. Mob density is ridiculous. Mobs also will chase you halfway across the map. Quests take a long time to complete compared to previous content.

It's ugly- yeah, it's Mordor, but so far there's been lava filled area 1, lava filled area 2 and lava filled area with spiders. I'm really longing for northern mirkwood at this point. And all this lava crap and mob density makes riding your warhorse difficult.

It's confusing- figuring out the ashes of enchantment thing is weird, the alliance thing is another grind and the vendors area numerous and every one seems to sell a different thing.

It's fundamentally unfair- you will start getting lots of gogoroth lockboxes. You will not get keys for them until you are running instances at 115. So you can either get them from the store or wait til then. I also have yet to find any non-quest gear that's between 106-115, so you rely on quest rewards to get you through until you've ground your way through.

Alternatively, I played my guardian tonight through the lush fields of Rohan and had a lovely time.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Grab the +12 radiance token from the black book asap. Of course it has you running around middle Earth for no reason but eventually you can get it and it will help mitigate some of the debuff in Mordor. Getting a couple extra levels before entering and getting finesse gear helps as well. It's still a poo poo show depending on your class, but there you go.

The patch somehow hosed my Captain up- whereas I could tank 2-3 mobs in Mordor before, now they kill me in about 10 seconds due to low healing. Sounds like other healing classes got shafted too.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 5, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I was one shotting mobs with my red Hunter through the lone lands- easy to grind those Slayer deeds.

I started using my Captain with the mitigation herald and stopped dying so quickly in Mordor, and actually was killing things relatively fast. I'm still squishier than I was but overall it's good. Redline is still way too easy to die, but at least I can play now.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There's a mithril trader in thorin's hall right next to Thorin I think.

I finally made it to 115 but have 6-7 more quests to be able to do allegiance dailies. Is it worth it (i.e. will this be another abandoned game system)?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been playing my hunter and it's stupid how much easier the game is with an effective damage dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Rech posted:

Do expansions ever go on sale in the in-game Lotro Store? I need to buy Mordor but would like to save some Lotro points if possible.

They do, rarely. Usually Black Fridayish time of year. Mordor will have been out for a year so...maybe?

Givin posted:

If I buy the Quad Pack, Helms Deep and Mordor and play on a $15/mo sub, is there still stuff I have to purchase to be able to do everything? I can accept having to buy expansions but I'm not really interested in having to buy a ton of packs. Account was already oldschool created at launch.

I'd also be interested in raiding and doing dungeons on the regular and I'm assuming the best way into that is probably tanking or healing just like every other game. Guardian or Minstrel probably the best way to get into that stuff? I'll be coming in solo and hope to get in with a group as I go. I had a 50 guardian from way back before Moria that I'd probably remake. Or maybe captain so I could do all three roles and raid/dungeons as a buffer. People still like that stuff right?

Reading about what the game is like today has proven to be a challenge as well. I'm reading about 3 man content being what a lot of people run today? How does that even work? Seems like it doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room to get into groups since I'm assuming everyone will want Tank, Heals and whatever flavor of the month 3rd class. What does everyone who doesn't fall into those roles do?

Yes, you'll be good while you have the sub. If you let it lapse, you'll have a gap from about levels 30-40 that new characters will be unable to fill. Fortunately the Evendim quest pack will be easily purchased for ~600 points (You get 500/mo for being subscribed).

I don't do group content, but from what I've seen: Captain is actually always needed, because of the buffs they provide. Minstrel or Runekeeper for Heals (mostly the former) and Guardians for tanking.