Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Is there any story reason for the existence of a bajillion cassette tapes of conversations in Peace Walker and MGSV?

Because it was an easy and convenient way to store data at the time that was obly mildly anachronistic.

Also Big Boss really likes Walkmans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Let me rephrase the question: Are we supposed to think that Big Boss/Venom Snake is paranoid to the point where he's recording literally everything being said at Mother Base?

Big Boss is watching.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EngineerSean posted:

who are the skulls

are they volunteers? what country are they from? were they all rescued from death as Quiet was? do they exist in the mostly dead state that Skull Face exists in?
probably something similar to Quiet, though whatever the actual process is, Quiet was spared whatever destroys the brain

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Someone pointed out how appropriate of a song Garbage - Not Your Kind of People was for the trailers. Well I've been on an 80s music kick and how in the ever-living gently caress is Mr Roboto not a collectible tape in this game? The plot of this game comes from the lyrics of those two songs. Come on Kojima-san, release the DLC

Mr Roboto is the plot of SOMA actually

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i finally beat it. what the gently caress was skullfaces motivation for going after zero and snake. I sorta get him going after zero, He doesn't want an english dominated world/ some weird liberterian, "boohoo i never had a face or a language because transylvania got buttfucked by 12 different nations so i killed Stalin". but what the gently caress did snake do to him. or is that the point he didnt do anything to him and he was just zeros favorite.

also you dont fight XOF directly enough. like only twice. that's bullshit. I get that it supposed to be super secret cipher attack force and it works through proxies and mercs, but i want some more medic snake on xof action.

Zero it's because Skullface really is sick and tired of being in the shadows and wants to be the boss. Zero had gone into hiding, and Cipher as an organization was crumbling.

Snake is more or less an opportune target. Paz was one of the few people to meet Zero in person. Also, by taking out Snake, he could see about flushing Zero out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

setafd posted:

in Venom's defense, whether they're a hostage or a hostile they're likely to be known and targeted by this global conspiracy

it's not like he can just put them on a life boat and ship them back to oh no that's exactly what he did with Huey, isn't it

tbf he put busy on a raft because he wanted him to die in an excruciating fashion

that it took a few more years is balanced out because huey got cucked by his son and drowned himself

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zeron posted:

Just finished the story and everything makes sense as far as this game goes, but overall it's just a mess. I do like how Big Boss creates you as a decoy, and then you go and upstage him by creating a massive base and army while he goes off and creates a much dinkier one. Which then makes you wonder what happens to Mother Base from this game, why did Outer Heaven suck so much in comparison..what was the point of this decoy operation in the first place? They make it a point to say that everyone wants to kill Big Boss, but seriously the only person who ever actually tries to kill you in the game is Quiet. You're never shown to be at risk of assassination, and none of the world powers seem particularly concerned about you either. Also Venom Snake was incredibly obvious(besides the credits that spoiled every single mission and twist in the game), there wasn't a single bit of gushing over all the awesome toys and weapons you get in the entire game. And that's why MGS3 is still the best MGS.

Big Boss didn't create Venom.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sefal posted:

I hear that so often but I haven't yet seen it implemented in any work of fiction I have seen. Well nothing is spring to my mind atleast.
Has that being applied to something popular?

Wizard of Oz and St. Elsewhere would be high on my list

Newhart as well.

Super Mario Bros 2 also

There's more, but they're mostly special one off stories in episodic fiction, as opposed to whole works.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 26, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

^Mario 2 never hides that it's a dream.

Even the Transformers movies have a lot going on under the surface. CineD has a whole thread analyzing Transformers, scene by scene.

That's been replaced with "protagonist is actually dead and is in purgatory."

I was debating putting thr British Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes on the list, though American Life on Mars was more straight up application.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

British Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes is literally just the purgatory one.

Sorry if I was unclear.

That's why I didn't list it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jagstag posted:

Also do you need to have played the previous games to know what is going on because this would be my first metal gear solid game.

Not really. The major events setting up the story are touched on in the game.

It's also in a weird spot chronologically, since it's basically a bridge between the MGS3/Peace Walker Big Boss era and the MGS/MGS2/MGS4 Solid Snake era.

You might appreciate some poo poo that happens more if you are familiar with the Solid Snake era, but if isn't going to detract from the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Would Miller be able to control the gasmask kid? When you fight Sehalanthropus, Miller is not too far away; and the whole shooting off Skullface's arm and leg in a rage would have triggered something I imagine.

Probably. Though, if he's near Eli, not very likely.

Mantis was attracted to the strongest source of negativity around.

Eli is basically the psychic equivalent of fluorine.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

That and probably at least a little anger at knowing what was done to him and the knowledge that his brain isn't working properly all the time.

Completely unrelated, I'm still really miffed that even if the game had been finished we would never have seen Solid or Solidus or Gray Fox.

Also it would be nice to know what happens to both Big Bosses and the DD base. Which of the 2 Big Bosses was at the end of MGS4? What happened to the other Big Boss? What happened to the DD base? It had to have been destroyed somehow.

Venom is killed during Metal Gear 1. Naked is badly burned at the end of Metal Gear 2, and ends up in a nanomachine induced coma to save his life.

As for the DD Mother Base? Kind of unknown. Venom and Naked both spend their time building up fortified camps in land eventually, so either they were decommissioned or left derelict once Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land started being things.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobo By Design posted:

Big Boss's plan feels like a prototype for MGS2. The Patriots endgame in MGS2 is to "create context" by selecting what experiences and information are relevant to social evolution, sans ideology (:rolleyes:). This is Big Boss's plan with Outer Heaven, and Venom is his Raiden. If Venom had talked about schistosomiasis or a relevant medical thing in the tapes it would have indicated something from his previous life. In game he has no previous life to steal. The grin and mirror-punch is so ambivalent that "what does Venom feel about this?" is a bad question. It only makes sense non-diegetically. How do you, the player, feel about this? Big Boss seems bad in that cutscene because of the diegetic victimization of Venom, but being Big Boss is fun! We have no experience to contextualize Venom's loss! Our only context is being the leader of a kickass proto-PMC. Venom embraces his new identity, Raiden throws it away (until the sequels.)

Big Boss: 1, Zero: 0

D'oh. I thought that had to do with stuff on the white-noise sounding MSX N313 tape because I'm dumb and don't use reddit.

Zero created Venom, and managed to get the memetic clone of Big Boss that he was looking for.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Like Big Boss's involvement in Venom was basically "hey we just turned this dude into a copy of you, should we give him surgery so you can get out of here alive?" after he woke up

Zero kicked off the process a year or two after Ground Zeroes iirc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nakar posted:

Zero was responsible for the idea, but Big Boss refused to stop it. That's where the dickishness comes in. There's still some ambiguity as he didn't just abandon Venom to be assassinated (although there's some question whether Quiet was even fooled in the first place), but at any time he could've said "So yo I'm the actual Big Boss and you're one of my best dudes and man some really weird poo poo has gone down lately and they turned you into my body double, not my idea, let's get outta here and figure out our next course of action" and the situation could've panned out more or less exactly as it did with Venom covering for BB, except with an actual say in the matter.

He waits to say more or less this for at least the duration of the events of MGS5, and possibly not until Venom takes command of Outer Heaven. Thanks a lot, Boss.

Considering that everything kind of went tits up before the entire plan could be finished that seems like wishful thinking

There isn't exactly a long time where Venom is actively awake before XOF attacks.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

grancheater posted:

15-16 days at least, probably even more since BB woke up before Venom.

Most of the those weeks were spent sedated and drifting in and out of consciousness

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, the first of the Truth tapes has Big Boss up and out of bed, and it seems like he'd at least been briefed on the whole plan before that because Ocelot says something like "we have to move ahead of schedule," implying that Big Boss had some prior knowledge. And for as mellow as Ocelot is in this game, it's pretty crazy for him to be like "nah, the medic wants it this way" while the dude is still comatose.

the timeline is something like this:

mid-february - big boss wakes up, inadvertantly triggering psycho mantis to blow up a plane
feb 26 - venom wakes up for the first time. psycho mantis is transferred to a soviet research facility, causing volgin to become the man on fire, skullface takes interest in psycho & volgin
feb.
march 9 - after the first 2 episodes of waking up, panicking, and getting sedated again, venom undergoes plastic surgery to make him look like big boss and is sedated
march 11 - xof raids the hospital looking for big boss

so yeah, while it mostly works out to about 2 weeks between venom waking up, he spends almost all that time sedated

and even how much of that is kind of unknown, since everything before quiet coming into the room could be some sort of false or altered memory

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

WTF was Skull Face's plan again?

Make ST-84s, sell them to PFs(?)
Allow PFs to easily acquire nukes
Control nukes with bacteria he can activate ?remotely?
English VCP?

There's so many different pieces going on here.

Step 1: Scare the world by giving the Soviets the ST-84
Step 2: Kill off the English language, destroying the Western lingua franca and plunging the world into chaos
Step 3: Sell nukes that he can disable via satellite.
Step 4: Kick back and relax as the Western world dies and he is rich as gently caress.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Surlaw posted:

Skull Face wanting to kill off any language is funny because his favorite thing in the world is theatrical monologuing.

I've said it before

Skullface is Dr Weird from ATHF

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What was Skullface's plan for people who speak sign language?

If your general plan is to disrupt the world, targeting the <1% that can do sign language would probably be a gross misuse of resources

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

The cut scene where Kaz says "what about him?", is that only in a trailer?

It's like the very first cutscene in the game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Venom Soag posted:

why did ocelot brainwash himself

seems unnecessary

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Slightly Toasted posted:

Wasn't it implied that Miller was in on it from the get go in how he gave himself up for capture to provide a distraction from the hospital escape? He must have had some limited knowledge of what was going on even if he didn't put it together.

e: it's probably incorrect to say that he gave himself up, but whatever offensive he was on with the diamond dogs that got them wiped out by skulls.

Not quite. One of the jobs he was doing to keep busy/track Cipher was to help the CIA train the Mujahideen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

One thing I'm unclear on, how do people who are POWs - Kaz and that Viscount guy - hire Ocelot and Diamond Dogs, respectively, to save them? Like, with Kaz is that just a diversion since he may or may not have been in the loop on the body double plan by that point? Do the Soviets and CFA give these guys their one phone call or something?

Also, the more I've had time to reflect on the body double twist, the more I like it. The most disappointing thing about the game is that it was unfinished, considering what we got was probably the best stealth game ever made with amazing production values even in its unfinished state.

Kaz never really hired Ocelot tbh. Kaz and Ocelot are basically in a bit of a truce brokered by Zero. Ocelot knows where Big Boss is, and Kaz knows he knows. Kaz goes and runs interference for Big Boss by building up Diamond Dogs, and on one of the jobs, he presumably gets too close to Skullface's plans and is captured. This is presumably some time right around the XOF attack on the hospital or shortly before. As it was an actual DD job, it was noticed and their intelligence turned up a record of his capture by the Soviets.

Ocelot never comments on the Skulls, just that Miller is being moved to a Soviet camp, and after a few more days will be moved out of Afghanistan. I think he was abineg a bit loose if there's the thing about "He hired me toget you out and to get him out" though. Really it was to get him out of Cyprus after he recovered, and to reunite the pair, but that obviously didn't happen as intially planned due to the Skull attack.

The Viscount arranged it some how, either he bribed a guard, or had some insurance policy set up. It's not immediately obvious you're working for him, they only pull back the onion later.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Then how come they only tell me about medicinal plants when I'm looking right at them, hmmm?

Yeah, that makes more sense. It could have been phrased better as Diamond Dogs hiring Ocelot to rescue Kaz or whatever though.

It wasn't like he was murdered in a remote cabin on his own time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ekusukariba posted:

Mgs5 created a huge new plothole though, Big Boss having no idea about how Zero felt in mgs4, despite the entire Venom Snake thing and 9 year hosptial stay

The only person who knows any of that was Ocelot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Broseph Brostar posted:

The song works from both perspectives too. Venom is the one who turned against the entire world with outer heaven, and he's in denial that he's the one responsible for his own actions.

It works for most of the cast except Kaz

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Zero in a quite literal sense ends up selling the world into something tantamount to slavery

Skullface tricks the world into thinking that he's acting on Zero's behalf

Big Boss tricks the world into thinking he's someone who died a long long time ago.

Venom (inadvertantly) tricks the world into thinking he's Big Boss

Huey sells out Big Boss to Cipher at least once, maybe twice.

Ocelot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of the great opening, is there a way to see it again without starting a new file?

Play mission 46

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, whilst MGSV doesn't have the same sprawling locations of some other open world games, it's significant contribution to the genre and its biggest overall success is definitely intergrating the tight, dense level design and deep, reactive gameplay of a traditionally short and linear style of game into a functioning open world map. Just taking apart a base in free-exploration mode for the hell of it is fun in a way unscripted encounters in Witcher 3 could never be

Stilwater in SR2 is kinda the high water mark for open world with a fairly deep amount of things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Isn't MGO supposed to be releasing this month? I haven't heard jack squat about it.

they've been running mgo betas on steam already sooooo

• Locked thread