Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The cool part is that it's going to be way crazier and more conceptual than anything that people are getting from the guide's implications. I think it's gonna be like the "you are Raiden" conceit that got reduced to just a dog tag thing in MGS2, like maybe you are playing as your own brain transplanted into Big Boss' skull or something. It's going to be loving weird and i'm excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I'm down with the big twist. It acts out some of the series' ideas in a really personal and concrete way, it's totally bizarre, designed to piss you off, and yet makes a ton of previously inexplicable things make sense. Big Boss becomes a villain by loving over you, the player, personally.

"A Pseudo-Historical Recreation"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I'm sorry to interrupt whatever this is but I just saw the ending and I liked it. I felt that the point was that you, the player, become Big Boss, by being assigned his past and taking on his future, as a very literal expression of the idea of playing a video game character. It makes the lore a lot gnarlier but i value the experience more than the lore, which has never 100 percent made sense anyway.

Also I used my real name and face at the beginning, so getting a personally signed note from "Vic" Boss was an extremely powerful moment for me

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Absolutely.

I felt like it was a heartfelt, loving and meta way for Kojima to say goodbye and give a kind of more personal closure to the series for players and to say "big boss has always been cool and I (as a creator) love him, because in a way he's you ans youve been rad"

The message is very much meant for you, as in the you holding the controller.

Yeah. The part about how "we're both Big Boss" is what made me think that in particular. It's cool how the in-story and thematic reasons for things run in parallel; Snake doesn't talk much because his brain was damaged, but also because he's you now, it's you deciding how to handle things, not a main character with his own identity. He doesn't speak Russian because he's a different dude who never learned it, but also because you don't (unless you do i guess)

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Jake Snake posted:

I finished this game last night. Absolutely loved the twist, though the emotional impact Kojima was trying to create really flat for me, because I am a woman. I know video games in general ignore female gamers, so really MGS isn't much worse than any other AAA title, but I wish they had taken the fact that a woman might be playing the game into a little more consideration. I don't know what the solution could be though, because it would probably bring up way more issues if the player character had to go through a forced sex change (the identity change is plenty hosed up already). However, I definitely got the message, which is the important thing I guess.

Though it's hilarious that the big bearded burly dog of war Big Boss now has to go by the name "Tiffany."

I was wondering what female players would think of this, yeah. It's so different from any real life transgender story that it probably would have been okay, but maybe they didn't want to open that can of worms anyway. Or maybe they genuinely didnt consider that women would play this.

Funky Valentine posted:

Zero sets up shop in one of Manhattan's worst neighborhoods during NYC's absolute nadir (the 70s) and somehow manages not to get shot.

Doesn't Paz say that people are afraid to go inside the building because they think a gang hides out there lol

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Jake Snake posted:

Yeah, it's not that much of a big deal to me anyway, since I'm pretty much always getting into a game with the mindset that the intended audience most likely is not someone like me. Big Boss's "you are me" speech just kind of drove home the fact more than usual.

Like I said though, I can't think of a good way to resolve that issue without bringing in more complications/drama. It had to be a character Kiefer Sutherland could voice for the twist to work. It would have been extremely difficult to pull that off if they tried to be more gender inclusive.

I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway, but I'm sad that any part of humanity should be denied the insanely cool experience of seeing themselves through the video looking glass as Big Boss' friend and successor

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Right at the end you see that the other side of "From The Man Who Sold The World" is "Operation Intrude N313" and when it plays it's clearly data, not music. Is that the sound of the code to the original Metal Gear being played on tape because lol that raises so many unanswerable questions

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the game & story were good, and i'd encourage people not to ignore the experiences they're having in favor of their expectations. The way it climaxes 2/3 of the way through and then gradually trails off is kind of unusual but I guess that's because the "resolution" came out 25 years ago on some weird japanese home computer.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Venom Snake and Raiden's real names are revealed at the end of their respective games, and it's the same exact name. Coincidentally, they share my name. :tinfoil:

I was just thinking about this today. I wasn't even doing Metal Gear stuff. This game has affected my brain.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

OK so Miller is secretly blind the whole time and Huey doesn't recognize you at first. There's that random guard conversation about how no one knows exactly what Big Boss looks like. And after mission 46, you can play as Snake with your original face instead of Snake's face-- you'll still have the horn and scars, and during cutscenes you'll still have your own face instead of being swapped back to Snake like when you play as a combat team member. And in the only two places where you can see a reflective surface-- the ACC window and the ending of 46-- you see your original face.

Is all this because you "actually" look like your custom face the whole time?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

K8.0 posted:

The nutty Japan/US thing is just there to provide a background, but it's so over the top and silly it distracts you from the stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to.

Lol you guys should stop listening to each other

I know that's the snippiest, shittiest thing to say, but it's really true. This like... "critical fan" internet apparatus is really bad at grasping stuff, because it wants to treat every story as a self-contained ensemble dramedy. That's generally enough for video games and cartoon shows-- and if that's all you care about that's cool, I mean you don't see a lot of epic forum wars over Amos Tutuola or even the more serious stripe of netflix shows --but when it's not, it's not. I don't see you guys ever, ever submitting to learn more about a real life thing because it gives you more insight into what a story is about.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Vermon CaTaffy

I genuinely wondered for a minute if this is what inspired the name "Venom"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

diamond dog posted:

seeking NY goons for a sneaking mission/B&E

Noooooooo

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

In the first two Big Boss games, he's almost autistically honest and straightforward, and always assumes risks or burdens onto himself, never anyone else. But in V the original Big Boss becomes a manipulator who sacrifices and lies to other people to advance his own agenda. You can see that side of him emerging in GZ ("silence her before we're compromised") but here it's the only side of him. More than that, he gives up on the world, and on his own life within it, to curate and control it from outside. As you become him, he becomes someone else, a non-person who can't present himself honestly to the world anymore-- he moves toward being the disembodied, dishonest, radio voice that controls the narrative of the original Metal Gear. That's a pretty clear villain turn IMO even if it's not what i was expecting.

diamond dog posted:

Again you're fixating on my weak plot guesses and not the evidence around them. Like picking on this eye thing when it was one supporting element in a list of like five or six things. Yes Kaz and Venom are ostensibly different people you facile idiot, that would be what they call a "twist".

I like how you hedge your bets by saying the game would just be bad if your naive surface reading turns out to be false.

There's a lot going on in this story and you're missing all of it. Trying to decode experiences that come from outside your own head til they perfectly match what was in there already is a genuinely bad way to live lol

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

diamond dog posted:

You don't have to agree but you don't have to be an enormous oval office about it either. This is just goon mockery cargo cult behaviour.

Lemme reiterate where I'm coming from: if there's a ruse, it's not going to be possible to make sense of it unless you're on board with the rusery. I'm not absent of self-awareness, it was a conscious decision to try to examine the game from this perspective, based on the content of the game suggesting it and the context around the game strongly reinforcing the possibility. I can explain that though, and post any amount of evidence, and apparently I'm still going to have to deal with boring fucks trying to win internet cool points by bravely championing the majority opinion.
Which is why I initially said I didn't want to explain theories but then someone asked me to elaborate and now I'm Kyoon, the famous videogames poster. mangosteen groverhaus faaaaaaaaaaart

You disingenuously accuse me of fixating on minor details and ignoring the rest of the game, but what I think I'm doing is looking at the very few smoking guns in the game which force a reconsideration of the entire plot in which other oddities indisputably present in the shipped game begin to make sense. We're all on the same page about the basic story and the official version of the story regarding development problems, but what if the point is that the basic story is misleading and meant to be inverted? It would be completely in line with the statements the director has made.

You're a dishonest piece of poo poo who continuously mischaracterises what I'm saying and ignores entire posts in favour of latching onto whatever you think is the weakest part of it. I said the shack was most likely a hoax, and discussed other hoaxes, the point being that the presence of intentional hoaxes supports the idea that Something Is Up. The NPC isn't blinking and was one reinforcing element in a much longer list. gently caress off.

Ok man. i think you're correctly perceiving that the game's story has many of the characteristics of fiction, and i would say that's because it is fictional, which is not a personal attack on you; but i truly don't believe that Metal Gear Solid is telling you to break into an abandoned building in New York City. Please don't do that

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I've been doing side objectives and wow this game's plot is a lot more coherent when you listen to the incidental dialogue. Things are still kinda unfocused in the early Afghan missions when you're doing whatever for the muj but it's like this:

-You rescue Kaz and start working with the mujahideen
-Skull Face experiments with infecting some muj with the parasites, causing one unit to get annihilated-- except, crucially, for one guy who realizes he can survive by going mute-- and their secret CIA weapon to fall into Soviet hands
-CIA sends you to get it back, at the same time as Cipher goes to corral the survivor; Skull Face sees you and realizes what's up
-Word of this gets to Huey when he's working with Skull Face at Serak and he asks you to bail him out, which leads you to him and Sahelanthropus, and he tells you that Central Africa is where the real poo poo is happening
- Kaz thinks that the unit at Mfinda is being supplied by a Cipher cutout and sends you there on an otherwise unrelated mission for the MPLA
-When you blow it up, the viscount, who's in trouble with his bosses for trying to sell it to MPLA, realizes someone is willing and able to gently caress with CFA, and appeals to you for rescue
-He tells you about the sale of Walker Gears, and Kaz realizes that's the link to Cipher, and has you steal them so your intel agents can trace the supply line, which is what leads you to the "traitors' caravan" and evidence of nuclear material moving through the airport
-Meanwhile the parasites reach Bwala ya Masa because of the uncovered bodies at the oilfield, all the adults die, Gunsmith installs Eli's army there because kids are immune, though he doesn't know why
-Your intel agents inside CFA get blown up, probably when they leaked the info about the Cipher contact, and are interrogated about "the disease"-- CFA thinks YOU caused it, because the first thing you did in Africa allowed it to spread-- which is how you learn about it, when you rescue them
-Rebels seek you out as an ally against CFA, and ask you to kill POWs from their own side (the kids) to keep a lid on their intel; the kids know about the Devil's House and pinpoint it for you
-After that goes down (and after you follow up on the Nova Braga connection from earlier, which is what leads you to Eli) the American doctor who actually did the experiments and his local attache are going to be shot to cover it up; you rescue them, but the attache was already infected (the doctor explains this when you're carrying him), that's how the parasites get onto Mother Base
-Your guys are scrambling to find an answer and they put you onto the human trafficker who sold the Devil's House victims to Cipher; another intel agent gets caught in the process, by a PF who have been sent to kill Code Talker, and rescuing him is how you find out where they're headed
-You rescue Code Talker and he explains what the whole deal with everything is and where to find Skull Face and Sahelanthropus
-You do your revengeance but find out in the process that there's one last sample of the English strain floating around, leading you to the CIA plant inside OKB Zero
-He points out where the remaining research materials are and you race to get them before Cipher
-That doesn't actually do poo poo but it gives Huey the idea to continue the research on the downlow, causing a second outbreak
-The whole plot thread about the kids peters out because they ran out of time lol
-Quiet, who actually has the last sample, realizes that she's still putting everyone at a massive risk and tries to bail out, gets caught by the russians, and you fight 1 billion tanks with her

I think there's even more connections in there that I missed. Point is it's really cool to uncover this stuff organically during the missions, although the game maybe suffers from proceeding basically the same way even if you have zero idea what's going on.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

One thing I really like about the plot is that you’re almost always the one being proactive – from the first few missions on, Skull Face is on the back foot the whole time. It’s really refreshing to play a game where the protagonists aren’t just reacting to everything around them. Hell, to see a story in general where that’s the case, even a lot of detective stories have the hero getting a lucky break by something or someone that comes across them. It’s slightly let down by Venom himself being kind of passive, but it really helps sell the whole legend of Big Boss (as well as the idea that Outer Heaven is a nascent force to be reckoned with) that once he has you in his sights, you’re hosed and all you can do is delay until he inevitably hunts you down.

Yeah I liked that too. I also liked that there's no one single force orchestrating everything, like there is in all the other MGS games-- at least twice, you find out about something crucial because of a misunderstanding regarding who did what in the chaos that emerges between all the factions. "Who can keep track of all the links between militias and mercs out here," like the guy says in that random conversation that seems to play twice as often as all the others.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Huey in that i found him believably awful.

It's weird that you didn't get the choice to kill him though. I guess they didn't want to let you violate canon, but it's the only time in the game where Snake makes a major call like that without your input, and it damages the whole idea of Venom being you "playing as" Big Boss. They could have let you choose to shoot him but he somehow escapes anyway, if they were so worried about the ol Metal Gear Canon that changes every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

This is really cool.

I gotta admit I spoiled myself on the twist before I played, and I wasn't feeling it just from reading about it, but by the time I got there in the game I was 100% on board. The actual experience of playing the game is what makes it. It's oddly like those old Japanese games where the credits would end with like "and starring... YOU, as Punished Snake"

This part was good:

quote:

Makime: I see. And Big Boss' organization in V is absolutely a band of criminals in the eyes of the world order. They can be viewed as a kind of war mafia, interfering in world conflicts to make money. But it's hard to see things that way when you're actually playing the game. Viewed from the outside, everything they do is unacceptably wrong, but playing as them makes you see them as good people. That's why I really like Huey's (Emmerich's) character in V. He always says the perfect thing to make you hate him at just the right time (laughs). He seems like the worst bad guy in the game, but viewed objectively that's not the case. As a civilian, he's actually closer to the player than any of the other characters. The things he says actually always make sense, but that just makes you hate him more. (laughs)

Makime: And Huey represents the only external opinion in what's otherwise an echo chamber. But in the game, the one person with those relatively sane opinions is the one who's forcefully thrown out by all the other Mother Base staff. Even when he's drifting away in the boat, he keeps shouting things like, "You're the bad guys! You're insane!" And it's like, you're right, but screw you. (laughs)

That might have been a lot clearer if Diamond Dogs was shown being represented in the media of America and other Western nations as being a terrible threat to world order, a band of renegades. That is to say, if Big Boss and his men were operating based on their own ideals, but were always presented as dangerous madmen by the media. And of course, Big Boss, Miller, and the rest keep increasing the scale of Mother Base despite that representation. They keep making themselves seem worse in the eyes of the world.

• Locked thread