Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I still don't understand what the difference between Big Boss and Venom Snake is.

vvv Ohhhhhhh, okay. Wasn't BB "Punished Snake" in Ground Zeroes?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, Poops puts forth the notion that Snake Eater was planned from the very beginning. Peace Walker confirms it.

Also the body double seems pretty much confirmed considering that crazy advertisement poo poo that Kojima was pushing with that doctor and transferring heads or some poo poo.

That wasn't an ad, dude.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gunder posted:

She got hosed up during the prologue and was really badly burned inside and out. The only way for her to go on living was to get some of that parasite poo poo in her that was keeping Skullface alive. She needed to be naked because her lungs were toast and she could only respire through photosynthesis via the parasites. Code Talker can do this too, but unlike Quiet, his lungs aren't kaput, so he can also just breathe normally.

Hm. Still not feeling ashamed of my words and deeds, here.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Kojima's always been a little pervy and that's like whatever but I think there's some form of line being crossed when the camera zooms in on Quiet's tits in the middle of her being tortured.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ingsoc is the fakest poo poo I've ever seen and I can't believe people legitimately think it could be real.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Some kind of content between now and MGO to keep peoples interest doesn't seem unlikely to me. A lot of this stuff seeming fake is important to it, because if Kojima came out and said "you have not seen everything once you've beaten MGSV" or "yes, Ingsoc is an ARG that's gating the rest of the content in the game" would lead to some serious nerds datamining TPP even harder than they already are and spoiling everything like they did with PT. If I remember right Kojima wanted that to last for weeks, and I think it got cracked in a matter of hours or something.

PT didn't get data mined, its secret ending was just found through the "infinite monkeys, infinite typewriters" method. Except the monkeys are Twitch streamers, and the typewriters are PS4s.

...and if it did get data mined, please please please link me to the results.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

figure out how to read art, bro.

SuperMechaGodzilla will never love you back.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of mission 51 being cut does this game have any other egregious loose ends or cut content? I find it hard to believe that a 100-hour game somehow has the latter-half of the story missing, seeing as by mission 46 Skull Face is dead, Quiet is gone and Huey has been exiled, there doesn't seem to be much else story to go on.

Well, Eli and the Combat Kids fly off with Sahelanthropus and we just kinda hope they won't do anything lovely with it (and forget that he doesn't have it anymore by the time MGS1 rolls around.) Chapter 2 consists mainly of missions from Chapter 1 redone. There's a chapter 3 title card in the game files. Customizing your Mother Base and FOB outside of preset upgrades is totally gone (which sucks because that's what convinced me to buy the game.) There's a ton of unused Sutherland dialogue in the files. Etc...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

On the other hand, "I can't believe they cut half of this 100-hour game

It's really only so long because of a ridiculous amount of padding. Repetitive reused missions in the same locations, Facebook game upgrade timers, spending most of your time traveling to missions because of a lovely fast travel system, etc.

You can get away with repetitive content if the core mechanics are good enough, which they are here, but that doesn't mean the game wouldn't be better if it actually used fresh content.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 22, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

are you one of those people who develop things and then just leave the game running when they go to work or something, because I prefer to actively play the game instead

No and I don't know where that weird lovely deflection is coming from.

Having to wait two and a half hours in the game in order to be able to hire five more people for my R&D team ~*but I can skip the wait with MB coins!*~ is loving lovely and dumb, and would get loving eviscerated in literally any other $60 video game. I like the game overall but pointing this out doesn't make me some kind of weird sperg.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is not being able to skip them with micro transactions supposed to make them better or something? Forgive me for being incorrect about MB Coins, a mechanic I've never used because nobody should be loving with them anyways.

If the timers took like half an hour for the late game upgrades, then sure, whatever, but as it stands I just upgraded my medical platform to level 3 and the game is telling me that's going to take two and a half hours. That's insane. That's half of most indie games. I don't even know how long the level four upgrade will take. Yes, I am going to stick to my original statement - if this poo poo happened in an Assassin's Creed game, we would be seeing the standard "lol gently caress Ubisoft" responses.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

because the argument that this is one of the reasons why the game can take 100 hours to play is even weirder

like if you want to argue that it's a dumb mechanic and that things should develop instantly, ok, but you'd be extremely hard pressed to find people who said "yeah I played for 90 hours but 20 of those I was just waiting for timers to go down" because things can develop while you play the game

Good thing that was only one of several things I listed and you're just cherry picking one of them.

How much of your playtime in the game was spent infiltrating an area you hadn't done before? If you cut all of the reused missions out the game would easily lose half of its length. This doesn't make it a bad game, but saying ridiculous poo poo like "how can you complain about cut content when the game is already so long!" is still a loving joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

The only MGS game that wouldn't lose significant length to cutting out area revisits is MGS4 and boy howdy am I glad this game isn't MGS4

At least you and I have common ground there.

• Locked thread