Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Vikar Jerome posted:

(could be needing a GZ import, which would be pretty cool)

Actually that would be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

They exist. Except now you can optionally play through them too.

Wait, really? I've heard that they'll have more tangible effects, like sending people out to gently caress up supply facilities so enemies are short on stuff in the field (ala blowing up armories/food storage in Snake Eater) but I've heard nothing about actually playing the outer ops. loving rad if that's true.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it's shown briefly in the Mother Base walkthrough video where they play a very short bit as an herbalist getting plants from the warzone.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that was just them playing with one of the MB soldiers in free mode/a side op, because you can use them in place of BB in all but the main missions.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Could also be that it's the other Big Boss that's not gotten adjusted to the blind spot, though yeah it's not like there's much reason for it to go away in the first place aside from making first-person gameplay more readable.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

If Kojima's really going to make everyone play right into his hand by doing a switcheroo that everyone flips out about in the exact way he wants them to a second time that would be pretty amazing. Also yeah all the themes of language as control definitely makes this a lot closer to 2 than any of the other games, so it would probably be a natural fit.

Also I bet we'll get soldiers that end up having better stats than BB in enough ways that we'll eventually just play as an S-rank soldier instead of him for everything but story missions anyways. And story-wise it's still very much going to be about Big Boss, and if speculation is anything to go by the real Big Boss is still going to be very prominent in the game.

Basically people are big babies about their video game stories. Which is rich coming from me but there you have it.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I hope the Venom Snake bossfight is like PW, where its difficulty is tied to how much effort you put into research. If you unlock everything Venom cheats with Jehuty teleport CQC, and if you do the bare minimum he only has basic equipment.

No research, no showers run, Big Boss has to run away from Stinky Venom Snake while they ineffectually fire dinky tranqs at each other until Venom dies of e coli poisoning and dysentery. Or a parasite, if we're staying thematically consistent here.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

TheOrange posted:

Man, that sounds nuts and I kind of hope it's true, I already play as a real murderous bastard anyhow so I wont feel too far removed at least!

Also, if they make you kill D-Dog I bet people will lose their poo poo.

D-Dog and all the animals you put in your personal zoo and all the child soldiers you recruited, poo poo's going to be heavy af

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

So uh, what's actually the deal with the Operation Intrude N313 tape at the very end of the game? I get that it's the codename for MG1's mission, but what's the deal with it being put in a tape player? I'm guessing the camera panning to show an MSX keyboard and what is clearly the blue glow from the MSX startup screen is just a fun easter egg for those who recognize what's happening there, but what's the implications of the tape belting out static? Was that also just a cute MSX nod? Was the whole thing a cute nod to the MSX or was there more to it being a tape belting out screeching static put in by who I assume is meant to be the real Big Boss sending Solid to kill Venom?

That whole bit was like a cool thing that gave me nerd shivers but then made me do a double take and say "wait what does that actually imply" and I haven't come up with an answer I'm confident with.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

VagueRant posted:

It's kind of impossible to say, I don't think it was particularly well thought out, but I GUESS the most sensible interpretation is Real Big Boss as leader of Foxhound warning Venom Snake that Solid Snake is coming to Outer Heaven.

Sex Tragedy posted:

Some theorize big boss is giving venom the same kind of mission to die that the boss got. Then venom decides to give snake the bad intel from the other frequency.

Ok wow this at least clears up some confusion I was having connecting the dots. Obviously no one knows for sure but I forgot important details like how the real BB was the one sent to Outer Heaven in the first place :downs:.

Don't worry I'm sure it'll all come together more cohesively in the thing the fired dude and his fired team will be allowed to release on 9/11 by the publisher that now actively despises them and their work and their entire artistic medium and it's all a ruse.

we all want it to be a ridiculous counter-intuitive-but-amazing ruse that Kojima somehow convinced everyone to go along with, but come the gently caress on people, that's not how this business works and even Kojima couldn't bend and twist it to do so, especially not just for a clever gotcha

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

the too-youthful appearance

This is probably not the case, since by all accounts it seems established that Venom really does look like Big Boss to everyone, and only those who know about his life before the surgery know he's not BB.

It's real weird to me that people have found it as frustrating as they do. Like, I get frustrations with the writing and pacing and closure of plot threads, but with the pure fact of Venom being Venom and not Big Boss? Hell, I took it as something of a contrast to MGS2, where Kojima said "screw you, you're not Snake, you're a whiney incessant fan that wants the same poo poo shovelled in your face so you can pretend to be who you aren't", now he says "Yeah, you're not Big Boss, but you've gone on this long playing as him and representing him, so you may as well be, thanks for carrying on the legend". It felt like a thank you as opposed to the gently caress you from many games ago, and yeah it might not be as well thought-out or meaningful or fulfill its intentions as well as the gently caress you (and to be fair, MGS2 was more nuanced than just a dismissive flip-of-the-bird), but I still can't see how it can actively ruin the game/the character for someone.

Honestly, I think it's real cool that I'm running around as a dude named Venom Snake and I'm the one Snake that's not a Big Boss clone but is closer to a doppelganger than any of his actual genetic clones ever are, warts and all. I think all the subtle foreshadowing through Venom's behaviour is neat, too, all I really wish is that they went further with it and had more real BB and some more interaction between the two.

I also made Venom into Mike Dawson for some reason and I was nothing but hyped when I realized I can play as Mike Dawson whenever I want after the real ending, and that he replaces the regular Snake model even in cutscenes. No, I don't know what's wrong with me.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add "Hey, we're getting really unhappy with the budget of The Phantom Pain, but go ahead and start development on the playable teaser that will reveal that you're working on another game after this one".

Remember, by the time that PT started development, the majority of The Phantom Pain's development was nearing completion, so when was this "falling out" supposed to take place? Either this whole thing is truly an emotional response, or it defies all logic.

You don't actively sabotage your own share in the market (literally and figuratively) as hard as Konami did if you're just playing along with a ruse your valued artist wants to do. It absolutely has been a tale of unprofessional petty grudges and mismanagement, PT and SIlent Hills starting to be a thing and suddenly stopping happened because it was released before Konami finally snapped for whatever reason they did.

If it weren't for the very real facts of the moves Konami has been making elsewhere, there might be some credibility to it being all a Kojima rug-pull, but as it stands, Konami's getting more bank from a legal loophole that lets them exploit addictive personalities, Kojima's games cost too much time and money to make and their returns aren't reliable enough to be needed anymore with the totes-not-gambling money Konami's making loads of. Konami's also been very petty in the past towards other people, Kojima's just the loudest one you've heard about, with good reason no doubt, but everything is absolutely as it seems when it comes to Konami's grudge and the termination and purging of Kojima from their business.

We all want there to be one last surprise from Kojima or for it all to be a bonkers conspiracy to drum up publicity in the most absurd way anyone's ever done, but reality comes crashing down on that if you aren't extremely selective with your fact checking.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Ocelot model swap for that cutscene vindicates the entire thing.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

paint dry posted:

shut up i want to kiss Big Boss and you can't stop me

Hey, it's not like you can't channel that desire into Venom. They can co-exist as very kissable men.

In fact, it might even be better if you could kiss both of them at the same time, alternate between them, maybe get tag teamed by them.
ocelot's there too

...I'll be in my bunk.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

They showed pretty uniquely-modelled versions of Big Boss through the years in that trailer that never show up in the game, and since there's a near-zero percent chance any story content's been relegated to DLC, I'd guess those will be fun extra outfits we'll probably need to pay gratuitous amounts of money to use or are MGO exclusive or both because Konami.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Man, I was almost able to buy into Skull Face's ETHNIC CLEANSING as a traditional dumb Metal Gear villain motivation (Hey, he's a crazy villain, maybe he just doesn't realize how flawed his plan really is), but holy poo poo that last Quiet scene is so laughable, and for more reasons than just keeping her T&A in-frame at all times.

I AM QUIET I AM THE ABSENCE OF WORDS except for written language BOY IT SURE DID SUCK THAT I COULDN'T EXPRESS MY FEELINGS TOWARDS YOU THE PLAYER except with written language BECAUSE WE MAY AS WELL WRITE THIS AS A FANFICTION BEFORE THE FANS DO.

And I guess it's ok to have an extended tape of her talking, or a radio broadcast of her talking, unless that's only ok because everyone took Wolbachia in which case why would she even leave if she poses way less threat to Diamond Dogs than she does literally anywhere else?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

So here's a super subtle detail I noticed when dicking around with the camera in the ACC:

It only seems to show up when zooming in, but Venom's reflection shows your avatar. I don't know if this happens for the whole game, but on this save I've only gotten the first ending and am halfway through Chapter 2.

I really love how this game is so subtle about Venom but at the same time is practically holding up a neon sign saying YOU'RE NOT BIG BOSS when you really look at it. It's gaming's most subtle neon sign.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I want to thank whoever posted that Super Bunnyhop review, if only for the goldmine of comments

I've only been exposed to the polarizing opinions through the Games threads, where people have largely reasonable, valid complaints with balanced discussion, but this is just :allears:

I even poked my head into the r/Games thread for the video because I had a sudden onset of the not-fun kind of masochism, and boy i didn't realize this many people have rose-tinted goggles about the mechanics and controls of the old games.

I'm still disappointed with the video itself, though. I think SBP's done a lot of top-notch stuff, but he has a bad habit of going down very cynical roads, and even by the standards of his borderline-smug cynical stuff, this just came off as really shallow critique and veiled one-upsmanship of other reviewers. There's a lot to critique in this game, but he wasn't bringing much new perspective besides his ending interpretation (which was good) and a whole lot of surface-level stuff that people have expressed a thousand times already. Also that critique of the objectives made some sense but still felt pretty hollow, it would have been better if he gave more examples of creative objectives than "Ground Zeroes did this puzzle thing that matters for all of one playthrough". As it stands it's just as lame as every other "this action/stealth game is just about going from A to B and having targets and it's all a checklist!" arguments that miss the forest for the trees, especially in the case of Phantom Pain where those simple objectives and how you're encouraged to accomplish them feed into larger systems that 99% of other games of its ilk wouldn't even think to have.

Eh, the comments are still funny so it's not a total waste, just disappointing after his quite good critique of Ground Zeroes' story.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

While the open stealth segments were great gameplay probably the more emotionally impactful parts were the more scripted areas. The hour-long intro, the Devil's House, and "Quarantine Strut Has Become A Nightmare" missions. I kinda wish we had just a couple more of those.

And Quiet is way more badass when she has proper clothes. C'mon, Kojima.

I actually think the Quarantine Strut mass execution sequence was a very well-handled bit of video game storytelling. It wasn't as effective as it was meant to be since Mother Base ended up so cut down that most people will barely visit it or care for it, but the story paired with the mechanics still framed it well enough for it to be effective when you are stuck in a situation where you need to pull the trigger on your own men that have actual names and faces that actually exist in some tangible sense. They even made them have different reactions to what you're doing that felt human enough that I actually felt pretty hosed up by the end.

That scene also exemplified how everything that Venom does to make himself a demon (as far as we see) is forced upon him by complicated circumstance, in contrast to Big Boss who happily indulges in being a self-righteous shithead when he has every opportunity to stop or use his resources to be an actively good person. I've come to like the one-liner at the beginning as more than just a silly line, because the tone set makes it stand out as a very intentional "Big Boss is knowingly cold enough to casually crack a joke about burning someone to death" instead of a simple "Haha, that wacky Boss!".

The Giant Bomb crew definitely had a point when they said they said it practically feels like we're meant to have a whole other game for Big Boss as a follow-up. I do believe the twist means something to the story, it's just so abstract because we don't get a sense for what Big Boss is doing during/just after The Phantom Pain besides vague hints that aren't concrete enough to really point at to properly compare him to the more heroic/necessary evil actions of Venom (given the situation and role thrust upon him).

Yeah Bro posted:

or complaints about how the ludic systems impeded the telling of the story. Just the story in isolation, thanks in advance)

I agree with a bunch of your points but ludic systems are pretty important to storytelling in video games, especially when said video game is already very heavily gameplay-focused. Granted, a lot of criticism of ludic systems vs. written story misses the point entirely, but that's down to the critic, not the concept.

Dangerous Person posted:

My friend hated it and texted 'HE PLAYED US LIKE A drat FIDDLE" as soon as he got there.

That's a sign of love tbh

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Yeah Bro posted:

I agree that it is relevant, I just don't really care about it from a discussion standpoint. I find that the majority of discourse surrounding story in videogames is so dire that confusing the matter by adding ludic considerations to the conversation only serves to muddy it.

Oh sure, I can especially see this with an overtly linear story like Metal Gear. There's a story to be told through mechanics, but it's not the one we're focusing on, I get that. The structure of the game does affect the pacing, but that's a technical detail that a thousand people have pointed out about this and every other open world game, and while it's a real bummer even one of the most well-structured open-world games (IMO) couldn't find a way to balance that pacing, it doesn't bring much to the discussion of what the story is actually saying.

Dangerous Person posted:

It was immediately followed with "I think this game just ruined Metal Gear for me"

My point still stands, considering how many people (I think in this thread alone) once had that reaction to MGS2 and now think it has the most poignant themes of the whole series. Myself included, though I wasn't so into MGS or Snake as a character (or as creepily averse to OH NO FEMININITY IN MEN) that it affected me like it did others.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I like that one of the most overlooked details of Phantom Pain's open world that Kojipro probably had to do an absurd amount of work to optimize/scale to all platforms is that every NPC in the map you're in is active at the same time. Seriously, you can mark an entire outpost on one side of the map, travel all the way to the other side, light up the Phantom Cigar, pull up your iDroid and observe them going about their markers going about their business. I haven't tried screwing with them from that distance so I don't know if you could like, detonate a bunch of C4 from there, but they are there and going about their schedules.

Not to mention how it affects outpost reinforcements, where it doesn't just do a simple check and spawn some guards, it actually has them physically book it from one outpost to the other. All of this simulatory business needs to be able to go at absurd speeds with the Phantom Cigar, as well, which must of taken some serious trickery to get working (and admittedly does bug out pretty often if you use it near guard routes). This is game is practically heaven for people that like dicking around with AI and having actual ecosystems/rudimentary NPC economies to interfere with. More games need to do this, in fact every open world game needs to do this.

I think I discovered their occlusion/LOD method for when there's too many people in one place, though, I plopped a whole boatload of unconscious dudes in one central place, and at certain distances and facing them a certain way turned them into... green smoke. I didn't test if they can be conscious and move around in this state, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Nakar posted:

I've been wary of installing that mod because it looks kind of slapdash and might break things, even though I very badly want to deploy with just a pistol. Have you tried it?

They are slapdash, but in a way that seems easy to fix if poo poo breaks. That said, I haven't used anything that changes the game that much beyond model swaps, much as I've been meaning to delve into the janky world of early gameplay mods.

In theory, that pseudo-Subsistence mod should just be a thing that limits your deployment options like you somehow don't meet the requirements for literally anything but fatigues, it shouldn't like, delete your weapons entirely from the options or whatever.

Back up whatever files it tells you to replace, and if you're super paranoid, your save data's in your Steam folder under userdata/<yoursteamusernumber>/311340.

nerdz posted:

Either way, if this game lacked one thing it was excessive revolver spinning tricks from ocelot.

This will apparently be in the inevitably broken, unfun, shut-down-in-a-year Metal Gear Online portion of the game, or at least it was in the old trailer. Coming in October for all consoles including last-gen somehow yet available at the very early time of January for PC users!

• Locked thread