Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
feels to me like all of this is just a giant red herring. Snake is either boss/medic/ or ? or maybe everyone is secretly queequeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

The guy has a bunch of names, I don't think that necessarily says something one way or another. And he gave Solid Snake the name of "Old Snake", etc, Hideo likes to do that.

thats my honest guess. BB is bb. and Ismael is probaly kojima/medic/solidus. or imagination.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CrashCat posted:

Let it be this one

"Suddenly a spear goes through BB chest. it was fired from a oil platform completely constructed out of coffins." called OUTER PEQUOD.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.Electric Ocean posted:

I really hope playing as a double of Big Boss is a red herring. My gut reaction to that is profound disappointment, but this is entirely without context I guess? I really hope that the guides leaks are intentionally misleading us and my desperate internal reasoning is the following from the blurb about the guide on Amazon:

Someone tell me I'm right just so my lovely nerd rear end can still hope everything is going to go exactly the way I want it to.

But on the other hand, the evidence is that...

- From FOX two phantoms were born
-Hideo Kojima said Big Boss has only ever been in one coma. He was comatose after MG2 and throughout most of MGS4
-There's no shrapnel in his head when he's getting revived by the trauma doctor, yknow, the guy that declares he...went...into a...coma?
-what the gently caress

well between mg2 and mgs4 he is brain dead and burned to poo poo. he is basically Frankensteined using parts from liquid and solidus. also i think the shrapnel emerges overtime. plus one of the mgs guides (1 i believe) says he lost an arm at some point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I also don't believe that Venom/bb would be a clone or someone else. This sounds like it's supposed to be a pivotal moment in Big Boss' evolution. I have a feeling that the Ishmael pages are just Konami/Kojima loving with us.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EDIT double post.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Metal gear wiki now has a page for Venom. I think people are taking these leaks way to seriously. All we know is that a guidebook told us that Venom may or May not be Big Boss. And im still surprised this guidebook spoiled this information.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spermando posted:

She's kidnapped by the Russians. Before Snake bails her out, she breaks free from her captors (who tried to rape her) and crazy kung fu shenanigans and dick-stabbing ensue. She kicks a dude's dick so hard it explodes. You team up with her to take out a bunch of tanks. She eats a cannon shot to save you and passes out. There's a sandstorm, so she can't heal, so Snake has to carry her to a safe place. Snake gets bitten by his namesake and passes out. They receive a call from Pequod, who can't find them. Quiet is forced to speak in English to signal Pequod to their location, presumably triggering her parasites. She then vanishes leaving a cassette tape behind where she says how much she looks up to Snake and wishes they had a common tongue.

so she doesnt talk to keep the parasites from activating. that actually sort makes sense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Miller is pissed because Big Boss basically threw him and his dream under the bus. All along Miller has been working with BB to create his soldier's nation without borders, and at the end Big Boss basically says "gently caress you, Venom is my second-in-command now and he's going to run Outer Heaven instead of you while I go do my own thing." The creation of a second Big Boss basically means Miller has become redundant, which is why he is a "Visionary Robbed of His Future."

He is probably also party angry that Big Boss is just doing exactly what they were fighting against by using a fellow soldier as a tool to further his own ends.

There is a brief audioplay in the Japanese version of GZ that goes over how Miller and BB meet, and how the idea for Outer Heaven is kind of more Miller's plan originally than Big Boss'. BB wanted a haven for soldiers where governments couldn't use them as tools, but the concept of a private army for hire and all of the logistics behind it are Miller's. This got cut from the US GZ, probably because of the change in VAs (it would be like an extra hour of Kiefer reading lines), but it makes it a lot more clear why Miller would be upset.

all of that stuff is in peace walker too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I have been hearing rumors that alot of companies are looking to pick up kojim, his crew and the mgs licenec in one quick cash blow. kinda hope its true.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

So when exactly does Miller find out about Venom? The chronology wasn't clear to me during the cutscenes.

probaly near the end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

iGestalt posted:

I think you give Kojima a bit too much credit. I adore the video games he makes but at the same time..

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/641329589554442244
that was fast.

but on topic. I was OK with the plot for the most part and even quiet. yeah she came off as little too "child" like, but she was great in gameplay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

On the subject though, the fan backlash from Mass Effect 3's ending was strong enough to get Bioware to offer a free DLC that greatly improved the ending, not by changing it but by adding to it, so there's precedent that if the controversy surrounding MGSV grows enough we may see so. Not likely, given the particular companies involved but you never know.

yeah but ME3s ending was crappy because it didnt fit or work thematically. it just kinda blows its load in the last 10 min and makes you pick a light color. Mgs5 hints at the twist the whole time. if you mean the cut ending, yeah they should add it back in. that and camp omega.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This is MGSV proper again, I believe. It may just be showing everything they showed before, again, but If i'm not mistaken this one's a little longer. There may be something neat in there we haven't seen yet. I'd personally like to see a few more legacy outfits (Octocamo, MGS2 sneaking suit, skull suit, meryl outfit, etc.) but I'm not getting my hopes up or anything.

my guess is more cosmetic stuff, weapons and outfits. maybe some more side-ops. at best chapter 51.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well i guess MGS 5 isnt getting an ending :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sylink posted:

There are some cameras in the airport.

Otherwise, the guard/security density is really low with exception to a few missions, to the point if you find the right area you can drive right in.

The CFA mission at the airport you can actually drive up to the outer hangars after crashing through a fence and no one notices, when really the whole airport perimeter should have guards.

thats the thing, in Afaganistan it felt fine, decent amount of guards and reenforcements, but wants you hit africa, everything feels empty except for a 2 or 3 places.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

How many total stealth missions do i have to do to beat the game?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

man I kind of regret reading that stupid NeverBeGameOver reddit. that one user, the "TadeusPadron" guy is some autistic retard desperately making up some truly extraordinary bullshit. that "delta man" poo poo wherein "you aren't the medic, there's a 3rd guy!!!" lowered my IQ and then there's that "this game was created by a phantom studio" theory he wrote, like wtf how badly does this game break people's brains

why are some people so upset about venom not "being" big boss. It makes the whole big boss legend much more interesting. plus it explains why venom doesnt act exactly like BB.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Because people wanted MacBeth, and instead they got Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

People always get upset when they don't get what they wanted.

i mean i get where they come from. I wanted a macbeth/breaking bad story too. But at the same time i found the one that was told pretty enjoyable. i am disipointed how much got cut though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So i finaly beat chapter 1 and i have been doing a bunch of stuff in chapter 2. kinda disappointed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So i finally beat it. what the gently caress was skullfaces motivation for going after zero and snake. I sorta get him going after zero, He doesn't want an english dominated world/ some weird liberterian, "boohoo i never had a face or a language because transylvania got buttfucked by 12 different nations so i killed Stalin". but what the gently caress did snake do to him. or is that the point he didnt do anything to him and he was just zeros favorite.

also you dont fight XOF directly enough. like only twice. that's bullshit. I get that it supposed to be super secret cipher attack force and it works through proxies and mercs, but i want some more medic snake on xof action.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seeing as how there are poo poo tons of cassette tapes in this game, yeah, it was a little disappointing that there were only a few to set the stage in Africa and Afghanistan. What's there is really accurate, but the tapes talk about UNITA, MPLA, Joseph Mobutu, etc. as if the player is already familiar with them. I can get behind the fact that Venom might already be familiar with them since a lot of these players were around in the MSF days, but it would have been nice to have more of the geopolitical ramblings MGS is famous for.

I'm also really bummed that you never see any Mujaheddin aside from the occasional POW who looks like any other POW. I mean, poo poo, you already have a horse in the game. Why not have a few dudes in the standard Mujaheddin garb on horseback riding around. Some of the pre-release impressions by people who got to play the game early led me to believe that MGSV was basically MGS4's Chapter 1 + Peace Walker, which it was for the most part. But that also led me to expect more of the factional system in MGS4, which wasn't really present.

Ill give them a soviet only Afghanistan. Maybe its deep deep in soviet controlled territory. But africa is lame. Its just SA/rodisian PMCs and thats it. no SADF, no african rebels. nothing. i feel like they were trying not to pull an RE5 or they ran out of time.

On a different note. kojima did a long post about the story. https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3q4h85/kojimas_thoughts_about_the_novelization_and_the/

So...blue balls as a narrative mechanism? I can see where he's coming from. Sort of like MGS2 I guess (Cant say goodbye to yesterday?)

Sometimes limitation breeds creativity. How did Big Boss go from Hero to Villian? What events unfolded that slowly brought him to disconnect from humanity? How does he react to finding out he has been cloned and have his genetic identity used as another pawn by the patriots/zero/null/cipher/lalelulelo/whatthefuck.
This is exactly what we were led to believe we were going to get. What did we get instead? A game with characters without personality. I mean none. The only one who actually shows any emotion or development is thrown on a boat into the ocean. No character development, there isn't even personality given to characters who originally had personality.
By comparison look at MGR and Senator Armstrong. When I first realized he was the villain, I got pissed. I thought, wow how stupid a US senator is the villain. Then after fighting through the giant spider metal gear and getting to the hand to hand combat fight, I started to realize the tension and uncover the personality behind the villain I was fighting. By the time I defeated Armstrong I realized he was one of the greatest Metal Gear villains of the series, because he had personality. None of the characters in MGSV had a tenth of the personality that even George, the little little kid in MGR had.
That was what MGSV is missing. It just had no personality, no real quirks or development or humor or flirting. It was just boring characters in a boring story. Don't get me wrong it had hard hitting moments. But they didn't hit as hard because I was just shooting names on a list when I was clearing out the quarantine. I wasn't killing personalities, nothing about them made them feel human. I didn't have an alternate decision to make. There was no torture scene where I could have saved my soldiers. I was just forced through an emotionless simulation to check boxes on a list.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah I don't know why Kojima has this reputation as some trolling, "gotcha!" mastermind. None of his games attempt to trick the player like that. There are twists, but the twists are in service of immediately obvious themes / statements that he's been exploring for 30 years, and the cards are all on the table afterward. Nothing Kojima has done supports the idea that he's got some double-secret-real-twist thing going on, and of course the people with these theories never can answer the simple question: why? To what end?

The game (and the series as a whole) has plenty of textual / subtextual meat as it is, with very interesting things to say about mimetic legacy / aesthetic distance / the interactivity of games themselves. Not a single one of these theories offers up anything interesting to say, and most of them require you to cast aside much more interesting interpretations of the game to even buy into their premise - it's just "wouldn't it be crazy if...?" I am genuinely interested in what kind of a reading people are getting from these theories - what, beyond the giant web of twists and turns for the sake of twists and turns, would the game be trying to say? Why are people so eager to "outsmart" games / books / movies / shows instead of engaging with what they are actually presenting?

Because thats whats "in" now. a couple years ago in was being a angry, yelly guy who yells "gently caress this game", now its being a enlightened hipster who must find every possible critical "critique" they can to sound like the smartest person in the room and allegedly enlighten the world. there are good ones like super bunny hop who are great and have dry humor and actualy have realy good reviews and insights about games. a there are terrible ones like jonathan mcantosh who spend there time crying that video games have violence in them and should all be walking simulators and get triggered at everything, or you get the even worse ones like that PBS dude or that game theory person who just make poo poo up to sound smart and steal ideas.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 26, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with you. I actually like that he is more reserved.

I think you are misinterpreting McIntosh 's view. I think he us more criticizing gaming as a whole in that it rare where we can get a game that doesn't involve shooting poo poo. Alien Isolation and Deadly Premonition come to mind.

He seems to not like violence in media in general and he thinks the esrb is shield for the gaming industry. https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/329432068780081153

to me he comes off as lefty pretentious clown who is only slightly better then jack thompson because doesn't outright call for censorship and i think anita would probably be liked alot more if she fired his stupid rear end. i dont disagree with them on sexism,(though i think they tend swerve to the swerf side) but when ever the touch on violence they start to sound like prudes. this is just my opinion though.

jagstag posted:

How long is this game? I got it when it came out and I have not been able to play it yet but if it is too long I feel like I might as well move on to Assassins Creed Syndicate because I do not have the time anymore. Also do you need to have played the previous games to know what is going on because this would be my first metal gear solid game.

i put like 60 hours into it at least, but that was over a couple weeks. it has a very episodic feel with the missions so you can stop at anytime.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure you missed blackguy32's entire point. DP wasn't an example of a game that toned down on the violence to make it more comfortable, it was a game that was interesting because the focal point of the gameplay wasn't on "shoot things with guns", which is something that lot of games settle on. The complaint is not that Doom is too violent in content, the complaint is that Doom is, in his view, yet another game where essentially all of the gameplay seems to be centered around shooting at things with your guns.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/610299196621479936

not really. he seems to view it as a bad thing.
he tries to guilt trip people about it. he believes that it "damages" the gaming community.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 26, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Even if you played all the previous games, you still won't know what the gently caress is going on. This game has a serious lack of references to past games, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Especially since MGS4 was chock to the loving brim with past game references.

I suggested to my girlfriend, that she play it in this order 3/1/pw/GZ&5/2/4. then you get all the story in good order relatively.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I kinda like this, but I would put MGS 1 before 3. It's the iconic one that most uber-fans started with, and the basis of all the other games. MGS3 has a ton of MGS1 references.

true, but 3 kinda shows where everything starts so you sorta have a better idea of what happens in 1. idk. i like 3 the best :3

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Surlaw posted:

It's true that it won't explain much about these guys (and I think it's fine that they're mostly self contained characters) but I don't think I would have liked 5's story as much as I did without knowing who Big Boss/Miller/Zero were. The cycles of violence/fate/control that are a big part of the game work best with knowledge of the other titles.

It's not completely necessary (outside of Ground Zeroes) but I do think it helps.

i can kinda understand huey, i guess. he was just otacon with out any of the redeeming factors. He is willing to sell out his compatriots for nothing. Honestly. to me the most annoying thing he did is when he executed skullface and started cheering "revenge" like a clown, like it was some amazing feat to execute a crushed amputee.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Surlaw posted:

I like Huey as both a "fun to hate" character and as a contrast to the selflessness of his son. You're totally right that he has no redeeming characteristics and I actually dig that. He is a clown.

this. and in one of the tapes he makes some great points about kaz and the rest of the diamond dogs, even if he is a piece of poo poo, he does sound like a voice of reason to an extent. plus all they do is torture the poo poo out of him. but my question is. did he know the inspection was a fake, I think as lovely as he is, i don't think he fully knew until they arrived. then skullface puts a gun to his head and wheels him out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zedprime posted:

For a while I was not really on Huey's side, but at least leaning toward his treatment being some sort of commentary on torture making things worse and providing bad intel. But his behavior around Shining Lights Even In Death sort of cement any mixed interpretations about Huey's psychological state as firmly sociopathic. Like his actions around the nuclear inspection and Strangelove's death are open to a benefit of the doubt interpretation, until Shining Lights hits you over the head with the "Huey's an rear end in a top hat" stick.

e. the facade starts cracking even earlier with Huey falling for Ocelot's story telling trick about Strangelove's death, but still sort of open to blaming it on him being truth serum drunk or something if you really wanted to take a bullet for that rear end in a top hat. Shining lights is purestrain, sober Huey doing what Huey does.

i cant believe i forgot about that part. He releases voice cancer so he get a better deal with cipher and then he has the loving balls to blame V when he has to end the suffering off those he infected. gently caress huey. i am glad he got cucked by hal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so why does skullface were the mask. is it some weird lone range get up?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So when does Kaz find out V isnt Boss. my guess is probaly near the end of the game or afterward. in the truth tapes, Zero never mentions the whole body double plan to him. So i dont think he knows at least in the beginning. he might have suspisions but he basicaly gets so caught up in his blood vengence against cipher and then his spy hunts, that he doesnt care.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Onmi posted:

I will say, despite the twist of Venom not being Big Boss, Kojima didn't take an out many writers would have, deciding to use this as a grand cosmic retcon so Big Boss was never the boss of Foxhound and the like, a dumping ground for all his evil deeds. Instead, no, Big Boss is still an rear end in a top hat who misunderstood the Boss's will and probably got a lot of innocent people killed.

I like that too, BB is still a lovely person, just in a different way. It also makes alot of the stuff you do PP hollow, but i am pretty sure thats the point. revenge isn't some wonderful super fulfilling thing. the Skullface death scene shows it perfectly. sure it feels great when V and Kaz basicaly gently caress him up and leave him to die. but then huey comes along makes it all look hallow with his "revenge". it shows it for exactly what it is, torturing and executing a helpless, defeated and mortally wounded enemie. Sure, skullface was an evil piece of poo poo and probably deserved it. But its still hosed up and wrong. Huey shatters the illiusion that what your doing is justice.

tltr, gently caress huey.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

I figured as much. A shitload about guys like Zero, even Big Boss himself, was retconned over and over as the series got larger. A lot of it is insane but at the same time it's kind of astounding how the writers found ways to keep tying things together. poo poo, even the "Big Boss dies but still comes back in MG2" plothole was filled with the equally insane ending to MGSV. It's really just staggering how broad this poo poo was created.

and whats funny is that's probably the simplest and most logical retcon they have ever done. Its kinda of an occam's razor in a series where they never have them. why is BB in MG2 after he got blown up in mg1. because it wasn't him. done. plus it opens up a interesting story ideas. its a thousand times better then mgs4's "nanomachines did everything ever" and "zero is behind everything because he was a close to the boss as you were but we wont explain that to you in this game"

5 may not have had the best mgs story, built it did a better job at filling in plot-holes and character motivations retcons then 4 did.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 8, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

I finally beat the drat thing last night, and then spent around another hour listening to tapes and watching cut footage and poo poo. Act two is... totally pointless? There's absolutely nothing added to the plot or characterization other than suddenly finding what's up with Quite and then the last mission, which has no narrative build up and no narrative after effects. It just suddenly happens. What triggers "The Truth?" And while I think a lot of the fallout was intentionally vague and ambiguous, there's still the disturbing question at the end of how much Venom Snake knew, when he knew it, and what his response was to it. Surly the ending cut-scene, when he plays the tape from "The Man Who Sold The World" can't be when he learns for the first time - the other side is his instructions from Big Boss on how to deal with Solid Snake in Metal Gear 1. So does he learn around when you do the mission, 1984? But carries on anyway? And if he's apparently so cool knowing that he's just Big Boss's body double (which apparently he is, since he stays in that role from 1984-1995) why is the final cutscene with his face shifting from your avatar's, to big boss, to demon snake's, so troubled and weird and ambiguous? I don't dislike the idea that Naked Snake embraced his role as Big Boss's body double - he was in MSF and so presumably shared his ideals for years - but then why would his dual (tri?) identity bother him? Why show Demon Snake, why punch the mirror? Basically my question is: was Venom Snake happy being one half of Big Boss or not? If he was, why is the ending so painful and weird? If he wasn't, why stay as him until his death?

basically it was a cool twist (even though I had the majority of it spoiled for me ages ago) and don't at all dislike the ambiguous characterization of the protagonist, but I feel like that ambiguity fits badly with the timeline.

I don't Hate part 2 as much as i probably should. To me it kinda of shows how fast the honeymoon period ends with the diamond dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the Patriots covered that up.

thats always my problem with cipher. Its composed of about 3 people and some computers. Where does it get all its agents and intelligence. does it just piggyback off the CIA/KGB/Mossad/china. at least the patriots sorta "make sence". They are just the base AI that runs the world and it filters what it does and doesn't want people to know. Cipher doesnt even realy have an army, its why the needed BB in the first place until skullface came around. So what do they do. do the just do what the did in the hospital and murder everyone or what. also why do you never fight XOF in mgs5. sure you fight them for like 10 min at the end, but thats dumb. XOF should have had more presence during the game.

• Locked thread