Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

We actually play as Decoy octopus.
GOTY all years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I believe Miller addresses him as 'Boss' throughout the entirety of GZ, lending more credence that we're not playing as the same character.
The guy has a bunch of names, I don't think that necessarily says something one way or another. And he gave Solid Snake the name of "Old Snake", etc, Hideo likes to do that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Big Boss cooks and eats his beloved chickenhat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackguy32 posted:

No, MGS3's story still is pretty lovely. But I mean, most people play Metal Gear for the gameplay, hopefully.
Ay yi yi. People aren't sitting there listening to hours of codec calls and watching hours of cutscenes because they only play for the gameplay. Would they be in the spoilers topic if they only care about the gameplay?

As for the MGS5 spoilers, this sounds awesome to me. I've only read about 25% of the black barred stuff, but the general idea of the twist to me is pretty interesting and cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheOrange posted:

I'm actually glad there's some kind of twist to the story, because if it was just a straightforward 'bad guy gets worse' then it just isn't quite a interesting. It'll also be interesting knowing about some of this stuff while playing because a lot of poo poo is going to have more context to it now. Also it's kind of nifty in how it plays into the whole symbolization aspect.
Also in another way, I'm happy to see this switcheroo happen in a Big Boss game. I see some fans these days who say they're only Big Boss fans, not even liking Solid Snake. Whichever version of Snake guy you're playing can be engaging, why not a new guy. Plus we like Raide.. Even in the context of fandom, it felt like Big Boss's hype or "legend" was getting a bit big (pun intended). I'll have to play it to further judge, but on paper it sounds like a cool new angle.

Plus by the end of PeaceWalker, we'd already had that epic speech where it felt like we had seen the transition to Big Boss take place. Plus we also kind of got that vibe at the end of MGS3.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pirate Jet posted:

That wasn't an ad, dude.
It goes to show how much Hideo captures people's imaginations, how somebody could think that was an MGS ad. Though it is fun that his face is used in MGS5, whether he endorsed it or not.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Back Hack posted:

Just noticed that Metal Gear in the new trailer has giant grenades on it's hip, I wonder how hosed we are if it manages to throw. :v:
Proper hosed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackguy32 posted:

It sure as hell isn't medical science.
Ok, but... that doesn't make it an MGS ad. Do you really think that guy is a performance art character written by Hideo Kojima?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackguy32 posted:

Just because someone is a legit doctor doesn't mean they can't do advertisements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cpFXf1IEg

So now that we have established that it wasn't medical science, it most likely is a publicity stunt. Also considering the information coming out about the game and plot, it makes a lot more sense as a publicity stunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGm_VVklvo - You believe this talk is an MGS ad? Do you believe it was written by Hideo?

Also, the guy has said its not a MGS stunt, and apparently there is a "sworn affidavit that Canavero filed with Italian police that formally denies he has anything to do with Konami or Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. In the report, Canavero swears to tell the truth or face perjury charges."

And again, I do think this shows how much Hideo has captured people's imaginations. I find it genuinely interesting that you think Hideo is behind everything this guy has said publicly. But for the record, it is of course not part of an MGS ad campaign.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's also why liquid is in this game and not solid;
What about the end of the e3 2015 trailer, where Eli is sitting next to a twin?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RatHat posted:

Considering their outfits are exactly the same, down to the necklaces, I'm gonna say that's a hallucination.
I've been eating those luminescent mushrooms again... tasty...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nail Rat posted:

Given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Snake. Even rookies can fight like men of experience.

(The twist is dumb as hell but it works on an extra level as a callback to this)
Considering people keep posting saying the story has always been dumb as hell, this just means its brilliant as hell like the rest of the series.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If it really is as simple as the twist that was leaked and nothing more, then it's too obvious by Kojima standards and ultimately a little disappointing and one hell of a retcon too since the members of FOXHOUND and Solidus Snake idolized someone who wasn't even Big Boss.
For me, I don't see why that's disappointing. When we played MGS, Big Boss was just a name to us anyway. (I'm sure some had played the MSX versions, but I think good MSX emulators came a bit later). (NES too, granted)

It changes things, it's a twist... but for me it seems kind of cool, and not inherently disappointing. Though I'll have to play it myself and see how it plays out.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 28, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It contradicts the previous games, but so does having an incredibly badass Metal Gear that makes the ones in the MSX games look like a trash can. I disagree that it's inherently stupid or terrible, but I think we'll have to get our hands on the game to really review the story.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Now that I just beat the game, I can venture into this topic! Lot of posts.

Holy moly. That final cutscene (after the ranking screen in mission 46) is epic as gently caress. For a minute there after replaying the hospital scene with the minor differences, I was worried we'd just hear Big Boss explaining things through an audio tape. Luckily we got that badass cutscene and got to see him talking and whatnot. And the bit about him and you both being Big Boss together, badass stuff.

I had read the spoiler before getting my hands on the game on release day, and I thought it sounded pretty cool. And having seen how it played out, I officially think it's cool and well done, officially. For the record.

My guess is I also would have liked it had I not known about it. Though if I hadn't known about it, I'm assuming I'd find the Ishmael thing and Ishmael disappearing from the narrative to be a bit suspicious. I'm glad I knew about it beforehand though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 22, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speedball posted:

Let's be honest, there are a lot of problems with Quiet. That's what happens when you engineer a character titilation-first and have to come up with convoluted reasons to support it.

The character design as drawn by Shinkawa could be a full raincoat, it wouldn't change the writing. Your apparent issue with some aspects of the character has nothing to do with critiquing the character's motivations... and I don't see how it would effect Kojima's writing and directing of the character.

You're just shoehorning a problem with her look into yet another discussion, when there's no logic saying how it would detract from how Hideo made the character in general.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Aurain posted:

I think it would have been very rotten and skinny after ~30 years rotting away in a lovely little hovel in Afghanistan.
He was portrayed as a bit of a badass originally. And he was a trainer at Foxhound.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snak posted:

I think he means the severed arm. I assumed he lost that in the helicopter crash though, so it really could have been in cryo the whole time.

I definitely misread that. But I'd like to add, that arm was a bit of a badass.

(edit: I'm also confused on why his arm is in a hovel in Afghanistan. I assumed it got blown up at the end of Ground Zeroes. Either way, badass arm.)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just listened to all the Truth recordings while doing some side ops, great stuff.

One bit I found cool was Zero visiting Snake (classic Snake) during his coma. It painted a different picture, since he calls him old friend, and wants him to get better, and is mad that Skullface blew him to hell. Interesting stuff, since the overall backdrop of the series since after MGS3 had been Zero vs Big Boss, or so I thought.

He did talk about what he's looking for, and Kaz for example butted heads with him about it. But what do you folks get about the Big Boss/Zero relationship, with the info we get in this game? It seems Zero still likes Big Boss and is all for Big Boss doing his thing? Even though Zero has his own ideas for the world that may conflict with BB's? Granted he was behind the Paz thing, but I guess Paz going loco in the mecha was her own idea? Would Zero ever want to kill BB? What's the endgame between them there?

And by the time Solid Snake is sent in to kill the BBs in MG1 and 2, is Zero even conscious/aware, or is it just the Patriots machine rolling on?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 23, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

the endgame is Big Boss killing a retarded crippled Zero and rambling about numbers.

That's how it ended sure, but I mean what the endgame of Zero's intentions were, as of him in 1984. With the new info we got about his motivations in this game here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RatHat posted:

I'm still mad about all the Subsistence stuff not being in the HD collection. RIP Secret Theater and Monkey shooting(Skateboarding was dumb).
Skateboarding was pretty cool and gave us the best piece of music recorded in this century. Those secret theater thingies were the best though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Grimace posted:

Unrelated, but if Naked Snake is Classic Snake, what is Venom Snake? Is he Diet Snake? Snake Zero? Is Solid Snake Cherry Snake? Maybe Liquid is Pepsi. :tinfoil:

Dr. Snaker

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I didn't say W3 had more story, I said I didn't find it's story as compelling (which is 100% my own opinion and I have no problem with people disagreeing). I think the strength of W3's writing is in the emergent stuff, which is partly due to the fact that there are civilians just living their lives in the open world, while TPP is 100% military personnel on military bases. W3 has plenty of good writing, but huge swathes of it are just generic grimdark fantasy 101. But like I said, I don't really think any video game is going to be competing with great novels / films / TV shows any time soon. Open world games just have too many narrative limits in play.

Great games could compete with those, sure. At the very least story wise they can compete with pretty good movies and novels, etc. To me the medium isn't really a problem, you can tell a terrific story in any of those mediums.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snak posted:

MGS deals with broad strokes. These themes are reinforced with layers of tiny details, but their messages are not complex or nuanced. This is not a flaw. However, it is not better than the type of stories that W3 tells, where the details flesh-out the characters rather than the plot.

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, look forward to it though, so I can't weigh in here. But while I love Witcher 2, I'll say I like MGS stories overall better than that one, if it's comparable. The style of Witcher 2's story doesn't seem too different from Mass Effect and Dragon Age to me really (I love those). The first short stories collection is on my to read list, and Geralt is a unique character and all. But the characters in Watcher 2 don't seem all that nuanced and different from what we're used to. All of these including MGS deal with moral grey areas and whatnot, and have NPCs that give us exposition on stuff. Granted, it's all well done stuff, I'm just not sure what Witcher is doing that's a cut above the other really great stuff out there.

But from where I sit, all the stuff we're comparing is pretty great. And I look forward to checking out Witcher 3 sometime soon. And of course, Witcher 3 is probably better than Witcher 2.

Another thing about story, it's everything including all the dialogue. Are NPCs sometimes dull in Witcher 3? In say GTA5, that game has some of the best dialogue and really entertaining characters, for me it compares favorably with Tarantino's last few movies. And in general comparing games like Witcher and MGS across several genres of gameplay and story, it's just personal taste.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dapper Dan posted:

And Kojima switching characters on the player again is such a laughable, trolling dick move for what will essentially be the last Metal Gear game.

You're both Big Boss, together. Did your Venom Snake even pop in that cassette from The Man Who Sold The World? I don't think it's laughable personally, thought it was incredibly cool and clever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shine posted:

I got the "real" ending first, and wow that was a wet fart. Replay the long and boring "Snake in a coma" mission, followed by the Metal Gear equivalent of "and it was all a dream."

I love that ending. I've watched it several times, the bit where you get that smirk while looking through the broken mirror is my wallpaper, that's right. It sure has no relation to "and it was all a dream", like Dallas or something. Everything happened, and actually everything is very badass and cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

electricsugar posted:

I love it when people refer to this game as 'art'.

While playing yesterday I found a tape that was just literally a recording of a man making GBS threads for 30 seconds.

It was called: "Solider with a stomach ache, recorded in the bathroom." or something.

Kojima is truly the finest auteur of our generation.

So, next you'll tell me Caddyshack isn't art? It's art/entertainment. Art doesn't only apply to... whatever it is you apparently think it only applies to.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shine posted:

I didn't say that it is a literal "it was all a dream" ending. I said that it was the Metal Gear equivalent, i.e. its version of that sort of boring last-second swerve,

I'd compare it more to something like Fight Club. It's a cool revelation, at least for my taste.

On a more general discussion, I don't get why so many are really upset by the twist, somebody called it trolling, etc. Is the series Metal Gear Solid about being the guy from MGS3? It is not. Who is Big Boss? He's the guy from Metal Gear from '87, and a guy who is mentioned a bit in the hit Metal Gear Solid. In this game you play as the guy from Metal Gear ('87). You really are that guy. That guy isn't who you thought he is, but then again who did you think he was? He was a cookie cutter bad guy from a game not many had even played when MGS came out.

Naked Snake is a guy you care about and empathize with in MGS3, and he's practically a personality transplant of Solid Snake from the previous games. Only more naive and inexperienced. In that game it was cool even though we weren't the beloved Solid Snake from the previous games. What's the problem with Venom Snake not being the beloved guy from MGS3 and PeaceWalker? Why is that essential?

The guy you play as is "Big Boss", the legendary guy we've been hearing about in MGS. And so is another guy, who we first played as in MGS3. You're both Big Boss, together. Neither one of those people is the larger than life legend by themselves. I think that's cool. This puts a whole new spin on it.

Even if you don't happen to care for the revelation there, just curious what it is you find problematic about it?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Modest Mao posted:

get ready for twin peaks

Hell yes. Sucks that the guy who played Bob died, I wonder if they'll get a similar looking guy for that kind of surreal spookiness.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of that scene, Miller's GUILTY! GUILTY! was very embarrassing to listen to. I was almost on board for that scene before that line.

On the other hand, it thrilled me from beginning to end. (Roger Ebert, Lethal Weapon)

Here's Potato Judge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80o1VQbtwPI

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CJacobs posted:

Oh, sure. But boy was that line hammy.

The more over-the-top the better I say. I take it seriously on one hand, while appreciating the epicness of it's kookyness on the other hand. And that hand is a flying rocket robo hand.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Snake Eater is both the best Metal Gear game and the best video game.

I also had that opinion for a few years, until MGS4 came out. Now MGSV is the best, naturally. I do think each game does something the best, none is definitively best in every aspect.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does having the butterfly emblem actually change what happens to Quiet? It seems really weird that you can keep her that way.

Yep, it works. I did remove it eventually though to see the rest of the story.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Huey should have been revealed to be Decoy Octopus. It's such a wasted opportunity that ol' D-pus wasn't in this. (Or was he...?)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Different strokes for different folks. I'd take just about any area in TPP over GZ myself, and overall I find TPP to be about 200 times better.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raxivace posted:

I'd be curious to hear what areas in TPP you find to be better than Camp Omega and why.

Gameplay wise, camp omega is mostly buildings you can't enter, and tents you can't enter. It just doesn't do much for me. I guess there's that catwalk and some guard towers, and a couple fences. The style of most enemy bases in TPP is much more up my alley. A lot of the smaller ones remind me of places you'd stumble upon in Snake Eater. And the bigger places, prisons, various larger bases, the mansion with the cliffs leading to it, the mission 30 place, all of those places really work for me. And in general, I found just about every place in TPP to be more interesting than Camp Omega. I had more fun with it, pretty much. But I know Camp Omega has its devotees.

Of course, comparing the levels is one thing, it's more surprising to me to hear that some prefer the game GZ over TPP. But we all dig different things.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ausmund posted:

It's not just goons. Video game players don't care about innovation or creativity. They only want imitations and instant gratification. Video games will never be art because any time a developer takes a creative risk challenging preconceived notions there's a huge backlash. People just wanted this game to be a simple good guys vs the bad guy revenge story where the good guys become the villains at the end AND IT WILL BE SO EPIC OMFG. It's really sad.

Is there a huge backlash? Aren't there complaints for the story of every MGS game, maybe MGS3 less than the others? I dig all of them, and I love the story of MGSV, as minimalist as it may be in comparison to the style of the others.

On the road to the release plenty of people were hyped to see Big Boss become the villain, not everybody is looking for simple good vs evil. As for what we got, it was not what I was expecting, but I love it. The ending cutscene in particular I find very cool.

That said, you are practically playing a saint in much of this game, saving kids and whatnot. I'm sure game stories could get a lot darker than this one. (Granted, I've seen the point raised that raising kids on a mercenary dictator guy's base could be kind of dark)

Also caveat, everybody seems to love Silent Hill 2 right? I guess that's a vote for games as art.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 29, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raxivace posted:

Are you really saving the kids though? I mean your guys say you are, but Diamond Dogs is not exactly some humanitarian organization.

At least one of those children are killed under your watch even, going by what explicitly happens in the text.

True, I edited the post right after since I recalled this having been discussed before. It's all about context but I do feel largely for a mercenary story, you're playing a pretty good guy. Not quite like hitting the "evil" button in a Bioware game or something. But sure it's definitely not clean cut.

Ausmund posted:

People just wanted this game to be a simple good guys vs the bad guy revenge story where the good guys become the villains at the end AND IT WILL BE SO EPIC OMFG.

That's a simple story? The good guys becoming the villains at the end is kind of uncommon isn't it? Especially in mainstream gaming, I can't think of many examples offhand. Seems atypical.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ausmund posted:

I've read nothing but complaining.

Also I'm sure the reason the cutscenes are so sparse is they had to cut and censor a lot of content because it was too controversial.

What MGS fans don't understand is the series doesn't have heroes or villains. Solid says this over and over throughout the series, but nobody pays attention. Only different perspectives. This game is about the futility of war, people think they're doing what's best for soldiers and Big Boss's dream, but they're really just trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. They fight to live in the moment, they have no tomorrow. Yet they fight for the future. It intentionally doesn't make sense and subtly demonstrates how mad all the characters are. But on the surface they seem like, thoughtful, rational, professional people. This is why Huey is exiled, hes the only one that sees through this, so he's "not one of us". Unfortunately these concepts fly over peoples heads, and its not what they want to hear, so they make up some stupid theroy how Venom and Naked are secretly at war with each other or something.

The series has heroes. You can have shades of gray and show that both sides in war are wrong, and that the hero is fighting for a cause that may not be completely right etc. And it can raise questions, but I don't think I really need to explain why we'd find courage, heroism, inspiring stuff etc in these characters in the stories.

And it can even be the ol' "kinda nice bad guy" versus "really really bad guy" story. Even if there's crazy corruption on both sides, it's generally a good thing saving a lot of lives etc when the "good guy" role in these stories wins the day. Even if there's still more to ponder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ausmund posted:

It's not a morality issue. Morality is relative, like the times. What this series tries to demonstrate is that war is objectively meaningless.

Like what is the point of Diamond Dogs and Outer Heaven? It's lead by a guy that too afraid to let go and set aside his gun. He perpetuates an endless cycle with no ultimate goal. Whether he's nice or not doesn't matter.

What you're saying doesn't conflict with what I'm saying, and I agree that the series tries to demonstrate that war is meaningless. Maybe antihero is a better catch-all term, but if you root for and feel for the protagonist, it's fair to say they're a hero. At the very least, when the series started on MSX it was indeed pretty clear hero vs villain. Got much more layered and ambiguous as it went, but there is some level of "superspy versus supervillains" story in the rubric there.

• Locked thread