Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zeno-25 posted:

Q is basically a trickster god, he's Loki but in Star Trek

Also TNG sucks until season 3-4, or whenever after the writers' strike was resolved and the Borg show up. It's basically a 90s version of TOS until then

80s. all of the first and second seasons came out in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Ron Jones didn't get fired until like season four

yeah and seasons 5-7 have like the blandest music possible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of Star Trek: These Guys. Imagine being lower than O'Brien on the totem pole. Working for Aldebaran Staffing Solutions Inc. on a 9 month contract of barrel-hoisting in an era when robotics would make a trillion times more sense and keeping out the sneaking suspicion that you are being kept around only as an organ donor for darling son Commanders and Lt. Commanders.

Isn't this basically the premise of Red Dwarf? Working stiffs in space?

As a comedy I guess the concept is passable (yeah, that's right, I didn't care for Red Dwarf. deal w/ it) but honestly if you want a show about janitors you don't need to spend a million dollars to put it in space. Got lots of janitors down here on Earth.

The General posted:

A great episode of B5 followed around a couple of maintenance workers around for the episode. Would watch a series about them.

I disagree, I think that episode was lame as gently caress. Not even so much for the "working-class guys' perspective" as for the ultra-cornball way it was written. Which yes it was more cornball than the usual episode of B5. :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Not a comedy, a story of those trod on by the blithe principles of the prime directive and being squeezed to death by the handcuffed invisible hand of oppressed market economics in a post-scarcity world. A show about sweeping up the hair clippings of some rear end in a top hat that gets to spend four weeks on Risa because he was was a lil' stressed after sending a dozen of your friends to their death because he wanted to try and rescue his collar-pipped bestie.

You don't need to spend a million dollars to put a show about the captain of a vessel and their crew in space either.

You are off the production committee Farmer Crack-rear end, you'll never get to shoehorn your talentless kids into cherry SAG speaking roles.

Yeah, you probably need to spend two million to put a navy captain and crew at sea, because it's harder to wave away irregularities in visuals or whatever. :v:

The General posted:

I will admit I have terrible tastes, I also really liked the episode GROPOS.

GROPOS was corny but it at least didn't try to have the same two grunts being involved with nearly every aspect of the episode's plot.

Also I love how the big bar brawl starts.

Gutcruncher posted:

I like how they couldnt really decide what rank Obrien had on TNG so they kept just kinda throwing pins at his neck.

O'Brien was a lieutenant until like season 4, at which point he was "chief petty officer" which didn't have a rank pip because when TNG started there was no such thing as enlisted people in TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gutcruncher posted:

Why even have all these rooms the Enterprise has? Fencing room, just use a holodeck. Courtroom, holodeck. Hot-rear end mirror room, holodeck.

poo poo dude why not just build the ship out of holograms

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

You're making the classic mistake of trying to think about something in Star Trek rationally. Once you go down that rabbithole there's no bottom. Next thing you know you'll be asking why the bridge is a fragile little hood ornament instead of buried in the center of the ship or how a race of thick-skulled warrior bros like the Klingons managed to invent the warp drive.

To be fair it's not just Star Trek, though. Pretty much any space opera will fall apart if you pick at it long enough.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

That would make Worf's japanophile-like obsession with the klingon warrior caste even sadder.

His old man would have been warrior-caste too, since Mogh was on the High Council.

I seriously think you guys are getting carried away and being too harsh on Worf here. We're not talking about some pasty fatass nerd obsessing over another country because he finds them ~exotic~, we're talking about a guy who wants to connect with the society his dead parents belonged to.

Now, if Wesley Crusher was all "fuckin', Klingons are the best space empire, they're the most honorable, I only watch Klingon operas with subs not dubs"...

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 25, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

You just gotta remember that you're probably putting more thought into it than the writers or producers did.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Nick Meyer knew going in that when he was asking for a "run out the guns" sequence in Wrath of Khan, with the crewmen pulling up the grating in the torpedo bay, that it was an anachronistic and essentially absurd visual; but he wanted it anyway and he got it, and as a visually dramatic scene, it works.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
please god not another several pages of chattering about eeeeeveryone's favorite nerdcandy books

please

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Oh no

Nerdcandy

In the star trek thread

Noooooo

it's just really tiresome to hear the same "oh the culture is like a totally awesome federation that meddles all the time, like the federation should" bullshit again and again

just loving make a culture thread already

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tactlessbastard posted:

This reminded me of a painfully nerdy compare/contrast paper I wrote in high school. Star Trek and the age of sail and Star Wars and modern carrier warfare :eng99:

Star Wars isn't even modern carrier warfare, it's WW2 air combat. Modern carrier warfare would have airborne radar planes and mostly missile fire from way the heck away.

EDIT: this isn't a criticism in the slightest, it's just that even when Star Wars first came out, its visual metaphor was just as anachronistic as the submarine/destroyer duel in Star Trek's Balance of Terror.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
original series is best because it didn't have a gigantic engine nacelle up its own rear end, it didn't bog down in excessive bullshit technobabble, and it didn't delight nearly so much in making the ship a loving deathtrap

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Geoff Zahn posted:

I wonder if anyone has been autistic enough to count the exact number of redshirts killed in each series.

you already know the answer to that

(the answer is 'yes')

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that just means star trek is more likely to die permanently as a franchise, b/c the whole steadily rising blockbuster costs/increasingly intense risk aversion thing hollywood's grappling with is GREAT for people who love iron man enoguh to see 6 iron mans and not much else

ehhh, or it just means they give up on movies and eventually try to redevelop it as a television property again, which is where it really belongs anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

You'd think that if it were that easy to ruin a planet the entire Alpha Quadrant would have been uninhabitable a hundred years ago.

Probably the same way nobody's attacked anyone with nuclear weapons since Nagasaki - sure, the Romulans could sneak attack and wipe out at least a few Federation planets, but then half of Starfleet (and most of the Klingon fleet) blitzes into Romulan space to retaliate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Melchior posted:

The whole format of Trek just wouldn't sell as a series these days. DS9 comes the closest to what's popular now, mainly because it's serial. It's by far the most interesting because it questions the entire underpinnings of the show's mantra of utopia. Utopias are boring and drastically limit the number of stories to be told.

the problem is people keep demanding that new star trek be about the federation when star trek was rarely directly addressing the federation

even DS9 spent only a handful of episodes that was really centered on the federation. star trek was never meant to be about the federation, the federation was always just the space government that our heroes came from, that was always sufficiently ambiguously defined as to not constrain writers.

this is also why TOS is best trek. TOS never claimed that the federation was a utopia where everyone is perfect. there were assholes all over the place, even captain kirk would sometimes go overboard. there's a big yawning chasm between "earth is perfect and in total harmony" and "we've finally got to the point where we generally stop murdering each other and letting people die of hunger or easily treatable disease" and i think the latter is still a vital component of star trek.

if you want a story that's taking apart a grotesquely corrupt cyberpunk future hell earth, star trek might not be the best setting for that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i really cant see captain worf going anywhere, bless michael dorns lil heart, but i do hope it at least got the execs thinking about how 1) pre-reboot fans are still very much out there in a big way, and 2) huge-budget movies and 26-ep full-budget tv seasons both represent large investments with attendant risk, a netflix limited run, not so much

There's still going to be a big up-front cost to any new series, Netflix or otherwise, because of set construction and costuming costs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bible posted:

Had it been written for TOS, it would be among the best 5 episodes and highly praised.

That's how bad TOS is. Unwatchable garbage.

(I watched all of it. Twice. Probably will watch it again in the future.)

please don't troll

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pththya-lyi posted:

:iamafag:

By the way, does the Star Trek fandom have any general feelings about how the brony fandom embraced John de Lancie, or how he embraced it in turn?

the Federated High Council of Trek Fandom has as yet declined to hear the question in formal session, claiming that more pressing issues continue to occupy their time. some of the more radical fanzines have posited that members of the Council may be attempting to cloak their own interests in ponies, but these allegations have gone largely unheeded in the face of discussions such as "just how big a trainwreck is the next trek movie going to be, really" and the unending "jadzia or ezri" quandary

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tujague posted:

Poor woman's life would have been better if she had remained Neelix's love interest. That's rough.

I thought they eventually had her and Neelix split, but I could be remembering wrong. It's been a long time since I watched Voyager.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

You don't even need a nuke or any kind of explosive payload, just slap an antimatter engine on an asteroid and slam it into your opponent's homeworld at warp 9 and it'll punch right through the planet. Or run the Enterprise into it, which should amount to pretty much the same thing

sure, and then they can do the same thing to your homeworld

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zigmidge posted:

There isn't an organizational structure ron d moore wrote about that isn't hamfisted and incompetent.

Even the federation becomes flawed idiots once he gets his hands on them.

he also can't write a relationship that isn't horribly dysfunctional

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delsaber posted:

Dr. Soong likes his androids to be as human as possible. Another question would be why something like this only happened once, and more importantly, why Soong bothered to give him a robot penis and the programming to use it and not, say, the ability to speak with contractions.

The answer of course is that Gene spent the first couple years of Next Gen pulling his goalie until he was kicked upstairs.

He wasn't really kicked upstairs during TNG, he just got so frail that he couldn't really work any more.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

"Needs a little pizzaz" "IGGY POP" "okay I'm in"

Also Rick Berman wasn't really involved in DS9, he just signed off on the scripts after glancing at them. Ira Steven Behr was the DS9 showrunner.

Behr was great. They asked him in to ask him about Enterprise as it was getting off the ground, see if maybe they could lure him on.

Behr's memory: "Rick called me up, it was his initiative. He asked me had I seen Enterprise, I told him no. He asked if I could look at it - they were thinking maybe of stepping back and that "this be another DS9 experience," whatever that meant. I didn't really think it over in terms of what were the chances of that reality happening again. They sent me the three shows, I went in, had a two hour meeting with Rick and Brannon. It was a very cordial meeting, but everything I said I am sure they did not like hearing. I would not liked to have heard it if someone came into my office and talked as bluntly as I was talking to them. Though again, it was done all cordially. After it was over I am sure they were uncomfortable, I was very uncomfortable, we shook hands, Rick said, "well, all interesting stuff, we'll think it over," and I never heard from him again."

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon. He hated the show, hated the characters, hated the concept, just thought it was a piece of poo poo. It was one hell of a job interview. I don’t even know why he came, to be honest."

:allears:

This is actually perfect, because Braga poo poo all over the DS9 concept when it was in development.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember hearing there were at least a few people who wanted to press for an eighth season, but I can't remember who was for it and who was against it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Its a pretty offensive question. You watch all of DS9. All of it.

get over yourself already, jesus christ

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shadow posted:

you're in a star trek thread on a nerdy forum and you're telling someone in here to calm himself about star trek

do you see where you may have went wrong?

my opinions about star trek, and how to appreciate it, are correct

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

How does spandex destroy a back unless you are always hunching over to hide a captian's mast?

They had to constantly exert effort to stay upright because the spandex costume was deliberately sized too small. It's not that they were hunching over, it's that the spandex was constantly trying to pull them into a hunched position.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angela Christine posted:

hmm, yes, we've evolved past primitive modesty, so everybody look at my hairy balls.

nude weddings are a betazed tradition, your appropriation of this as a human cultural achievement is a gross reminder why we 21st century humans are such terrible barbarians

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nondescript Van posted:

"...like some of histories' biggest mass murders: Hitler, Stalin, or Korin Armchot of Steadius II"

rule of 3's every time.

it's a very sensible rule

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Star Trek: Custodial

a show about a bunch of loving janitors with petty family drama and bullshit tasks from admin. it lasts for one 13-episode season and is then canceled. most civilized peoples roll their eyes at it, the british loving gobble it up because they can't help themselves from compulsively loving anything that embraces and celebrates the inescapable mediocrity of the gray, dull lives they lead in a nation shattered by a mad woman decades ago

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

, useful guideline and a positive dictum as used by the Flaynox people of Gamma Seven.

20% correct as usual, morty

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Star Trek: Macquis

A series following the exploits of a Federation dirt farmer living in the Cardassian demilitarized zone, giving us an insight on why anyone would want to live there when they could live anywhere else in the luxury that being part of a utopian post scarcity civilization provides and not have to worry about being wiped out by the Cardassians at any moment.

it's because they're the spacefuture equivalent of assholes who are so against vaccination they'd rather homeschool their kids

if they had cars i bet they'd have "wolf 359 was an inside job" bumper stickers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tactlessbastard posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of that. And then the spin off, Star Trek: Sterling, where the Enterprise is run by Captain Roger Sterling.

pfffffft roger sterling is way too lazy to be busting his rear end on a starship bridge every day

he'd be one of those admirals that yells at captains over the subspace priority channels and pulls surprise inspections just to get a look at the cutie-pie helm officer

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

For The Uniform. sisko is committing hella willful war crimes

maybe the maquis shouldn't have started lobbing ICBMs ~*biogenic*~ weapons then

(ugghhhhhh "biogenic")

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Goddamnit, I really want to see the original R-Rated cut of Galaxy Quest. Apparently it was balls-to-the-wall swearing. And more alien sexytimes.

Also Fred was actually stoned out of his mind the whole time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

sometimes i think that a lot of the criticisms and critiques i read into, say, ds9 are jsut me mapping my own idiot brain onto the show, but then i remember, no, the critiques are mos def coming from inside the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA

the maquis are the far-right radical assholes of the federation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rutibex posted:

right wing people believe in hierarchy, and obeying proper authority. the maquis are left wing hippy anarchists

it's that "proper authority" escape clause that allows american right-wingers to yell about how they wish someone would shoot the president and allows federation right-wingers to yell about how the federation are totally just like the borg, man, because they wouldn't just endlessly slaughter spoonheads instead of trading some planets for a peace treaty (p.s. don't forget the cardies signed over some of their planets too. it wasn't a one-way treaty.)

the maquis are literally founded on the premise that no peace treaty or settlement can ever entail the exchange of inhabited land, no matter how much blood would be spilled otherwise. it is a worldview absolutely centered on property rights above the inherent value of life. if you don't want to call them "right-wing", fine whatever i don't want to see a few pages of stardestroyer.net-level pedantry over semantics because i don't particularly want to debate what is left-wing and right-wing, but they are absolutely knuckledragger reactionary throwbacks within the context of their society and political system.

TNG Journey's End established firmly that the Federation was entirely willing to not only resettle the colonists, but to even send Starfleet to find new habitable planets if no known worlds were suitable to the colonists. it completely destroys the moral ambiguity of the conflict.

oh and they're also gigantic hypocrites because within the span of like two years they go from "god, feds, can't you just leave us alone" to "maaaaan how could you guys just abandon us when the dominion wrecked our poo poo?" they never wanted to be truly independent. they just wanted starfleet to back them up so that they could bomb spoonheads and not fear the massive reprisals that the cardassian fleet would otherwise have meted out to them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if you brought a maquis back to today and showed him the "minutemen" assholes who patrol the U.S./Mexico border hoping to pick off immigrants, they'd probably nod and say "yeah makes sense to me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

My favorite thing about that DS9 arc is that we find out it's trivially easy to make entire planets uninhabitable to humans with one ship in a matter of minutes and yet somehow the entire Alpha Quadrant hasn't been turned into a death zone yet.

it actually comes up earlier, in TNG - The Chase shows a Klingon ship doing some technobullshit thing with its phasers to annihilate a biosphere

presumably this doesn't happen frequently because it's the equivalent of starting a nuclear war.

• Locked thread