Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nurge posted:

Also Babylon 5 was a much superior show about stupid space station bullshit at the same time.

lol i remember like ten years ago i went to a local sci-fi con and got to hear about the time they had a panel discussion about the two shows break out into a small riot, back when they were both still on the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The orders at first were "they're leaving, you're going to make sure they leave one way or another" and then after the colonists started actually resisting, the Federation threw up their hands and said "fine, okay, you can stay but you're not getting any further help from us. good luck dealing with Cardassian government."

Angela Christine posted:

:agreed:

We never see it, but it is quite likely that the Federation (and cardasian empire) encouraged people to settle that frontier to firm up their claims of sovereignty to the area. Like china building up those artificial islands and moving some folks onto them. You don't want to let the other guys colonize that space first.

Picard claims in TNG Journey's End that the Feds actually strongly discouraged colonists from settling there beforehand because it was contested territory, but I'm sure someone will be along any minute to offer some tired contrarian "well actually captain picard is just parroting lies like a good Federation stooge" line.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I seriously wonder how much is actually Takei posting and how much is some intern. But then I kinda default to wondering about that with most ~celebrity social media profiles~

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akasnowmaaan posted:

Nah more like 'the writing changed from episode to episode to suit that specific plot and had no overarching theme but that won't stop nerds from doing nerd archeology to win a stupid argument'

HTH

no real loss, stupid arguments usually accomplish about as much as arguments about substantive issues anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Disco Infiva posted:

That was nurse Chapel and Kirk yelling "Oh my God" when loving blue alien chicks isn't really a religion.

No, he's referring to the room where Balance of Terror opened in during a marriage.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Muauahahahahhahaha but the treaty said nothing about felt-tip!

the joke's on them, artificial singularities do bad things when you get a felt-tip pen nearby

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bobthedinosaur posted:

So what's the deal with Keiko and O'Brien? Did he come back from that 20 years in mind prison too different from the man she fell in love with or did like the actress want more money than the show would pay; so the writers had to scramble?

"the deal" is that ron moore is a grinch who can only depict relationships as miserably dysfunctional

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angela Christine posted:

the vulcan eyebrow raise.

You don't have to be Vulcan to do that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mondian posted:

It always bugged me that they called her MISTER Saavik. I know, Naval tradition, blah, blah, but its literally the only time Trek referred to a woman by Mr and it irks me.

I don't think that was even naval tradition. I think that was just a 1980 audience-palatable concept of "gender neutrality" in Starfleet.

Also pretty sure that wasn't even Gene Roddenberry's idea.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Howard Beale posted:

Saavik was also supposed to be part Vulcan and part Romulan (which was supposed to explain why she cried during Spock's funeral, among other things) and in the film novelizations, she eventually shacked up with David Marcus in The Search for Spock.

I think there might have been something in the original script along those lines as well, as there's an olllld sneak preview on Youtube that uses a lot of alternate-take footage and includes a couple of short scenes that were cut, including Spock saying Saavik is part-Romulan, and a brief shot which suggests that Saavik and David were getting cozy.

The alternate takes are also interesting; when Kirk uses the prefix code to drop Reliant's shields, Shatner shouts "FIRE!" like he's Captain Aubrey blowing away Frenchmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4BjWW5jTw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Still have no idea why they didn't release the Director's Cut for Wrath of Khan on bluray, it's not like there was an issue with special effects like with The Motion Picture, and the theatrical cut of the engine room inspection seems much more disjointed after having seen the director's cut.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

Shatner didn't do too bad for himself.

Yeah Shatner starred on T.J. Hooker and Rescue 911, and then later had a stint on Boston Legal. He's done well for himself even by non-Trek actor standards.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

A section 31 trek series would just turn into a lovely version of CSI real quick. They'd never have the stomach for serialization so they'd instead do 22 one-offs which can only lead to investigative crap paired with alleyway footchases.

Wouldn't the closer analogue be 21? Jack Bauer, in space?

Tujague posted:

Oh god Wil Wheaton just showed up in this piece of crap Dark Matter show and somehow managed to be a lovely low point in this already-terrible diarrhea fountain godawful piece of lovely bullshit gently caress rear end god drat it spaceship garbage fucky retarded poo log gently caress gently caress gently caress

He's a sinister, ultra-smug badguy

god, those costumes are almost BBC-quality

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
heh well MikeJF you see we live in what you might call a ""~~*~post-9/11 world~*~~""...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
(yes i know you're not american and would probably say "post-11/9")

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Even so, it's weird how many of them don't get that S31 are evil. The show isn't subtle about it.

I mean, they wear all-black leather uniforms, you can't get any eviller by Star Trek standards.

i think some of those guys are just ultra-contrarian shitheads who never grew up past "gently caress you dad, society is bullshit"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

q's pretty flirty with picard, picard should have gone with that imho. i mean q doesn't need to look like john de lancie that was, for some reason, a choice

picard plays super hard to get. like there was that space fraudster lady in Devil's Due who offered to wear any costume he wanted, and he said "lol no you don't do anything for me, you space strumpet"

q's gotta back off a little. he's so smothering sometimes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Melchior posted:

I think the interesting part of Section 31 is that for all the talk about taking the moral high road the Federation does, it still needs dirty work done like any of the other factions.

There's already an organization that does this. It's called Starfleet Intelligence.

The argument that the Federation "needs" Section 31 is essentially an argument against accountability and civilian control in government, and it is morally repugnant.

EDIT: Also, we don't know just how much the Federation actually needs Section 31. Of course Section 31 thinks they're necessary! But what would actually happen to the Federation if they weren't around?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Melchior posted:

Well, above the board, of course. But above the board is boring.

Correct, which makes their existence interesting and conflicting! The federation being homogenous gestalt of morals despite being comprised of thousands of diverse cultures is in itself unrealistic. Surely there is diversity in opinions within the Federation with respect to Section 31 being necessary? I'd think so. Sure, you want to strive for that higher standard, but you've gotta fake it until you make it (or until your enemies are vaporized).

Yes, I'm sure there's a lot of diversity in opinion among Federation members about a secret conspiracy group that nobody even knows exists.

Section 31 isn't the CIA, or even the Cold War-era NSA; they're literally a band of renegades that abuse their positions to illicitly divert government resources towards missions which are not only unaccountable but may even directly conflict with the policy set forth by the government. Support for Section 31 is about two steps short of advocating for a coup d'etat.

Your position about "well it's unreasonable that thousands of diverse cultures would agree Section 31" is farcical because the same could be argued about any policy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"It's unrealistic that thousands of member worlds would share the same values"

Sure I'll take that at face value if we assume the Federation was founded by thousands of worlds, but it's probably a lot easier if you start with like four and then say "okay anyone who wants to join has to share these values." You don't even have to get into the weeds of "yo does everyone get jury trials or are tribunals cool?", just super-basic poo poo like "hey civilian authority should always be supreme" would be pretty easy to establish.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Melchior posted:

Okay a super utopia is more likely than a clandestine extrajudicial task force, got it.

lol you literally cannot accept the concept of accountability within government

what a loving broken society we live in, jesus christ

maybe the new star trek should drop all the future-optimism and just make it literal space-america, complete with cops executing minorities on the street and convicted sex offenders literally being ordered to live under a bridge

I didn't even say "assassinations are bad" I just said "hey cool that spy poo poo should be done by an organization that is under a chain of command that ultimately reports to the civilian government." Section 31 is worse than the CIA, or the KGB, or nearly any other state apparatus of violence because they're literally accountable to no one (whereas at least in theory congress could bring the CIA to heel). If that concept is too difficult for you to parse maybe we can find some kind of coloring book for you or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nostrum posted:

I want a show that focuses on a Klingon clerk at the Office of Land Reclamation and Water Treatment. Watch as he valiantly lives the warrior code during staff meetings, field sampling, and data analysis. For the glory of the klingon empire, he fearlessly defends protected waterways from pollution to truly earn his place in Stovokor.

i dunno if Dwight Schrute could really carry a show by himself

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Melchior posted:

Honestly, I wasn't even commenting on whether or not Section 31 is immoral. I was commenting on what's thematically more interesting as a show - a utopia where everyone always follows the rules and there's no conflict, or a show where you see inside the sausage factory that's hinted at that is required to maintain that utopia. Quark's thoughts about humans and the Federation were well-known throughout DS9's run (siege of AR-588 being the most significant in my mind). Outside of Earth, is the Federation really that perfect utopia with 'government accountability'? Maybe, but that makes for a boring show.

Yeah, the Federation is a boring place. That's why you don't make Star Trek about the Federation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Booblord Zagats posted:

BBs in to people's urethras

reminded me of this:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

And they went immediately to alien-of-the-week, with scripts that wanted so hard to be TNG episodes that practically all you'd need to do is change the character names and bang, TNG. It very rarely FELT like they were actually stranded out there. Sure, they mentioned their situation a lot, but they stayed a bog-standard Starfleet ship and crew that felt like they stopped in at a starbase every few episodes.

I remember reading that starting sometime around the middle of the series run, the writers and producers would occasionally get into arguments over whether to bring Voyager home and just straight-up do TNG 2 for the rest of the series.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

counterfeitsaint posted:

The new series can be a what if section 31 never existed, and the Dominion was able to bide it's time and take over the whole alpha quadrant and a bunch of human slaves can have a perfectly upfront and transparent "government" in their slave quarters and talk about how great they all are. At some point early on there could be a reference to that time a star fleet captain caught a simple tailor trying to mislead the romulans and trick them into the war but he put a stop to that sound of underhanded immoral thing, then they'd all go start their 18 hour shift in the dylithium mines.

i mean when you really think about it, it's not like anyone got killed by 'enhanced interrogation', right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, they seemed to use the Bat'leth when they were being ceremonial and poo poo and the D'k tahg (the knife with the pop-out bits) or the Mek'leth when they wanted to actually get stuff done

Pretty sure the Klingons who tried to board Ops were packing batleths, which was such a terrible decision on the writers' part.

I remember that when Worf dueled Duras, Duras was packing something more like a regular sword, which I thought was a nice touch of "yes the Klingons do have regular swords too".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Naxuz posted:

You kinda seem to think that Worf wasn't meant to be the ultimate representation of a space weeaboo who jealously protects the idealized picture of the Honorable Klingon he has in his head from all reality, while real Klingons just didn't give a gently caress and made Worf look like the massive dork he was. This also set the stage for DS9 to give him some actual character development when he was forced to man the gently caress up and face the facts about his heritage.

weeaboo doesn't really apply because worf is actually a klingon

and it's not like he was cherry-picking what he wanted to believe when he was young because in early TNG they say more than once "yeah we're still pretty ignorant of how their culture and society works, lol" so it's not Worf's fault that the only material he could find while growing up in Minsk is old imperial propaganda about how Klingons are actually the most honorable and cultured space empire

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't he a robot? I thought he exploded in a shower of sparks

To be fair that also happens with a lot of not-robots that get shot with phasers too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Nah, he has a big bloody scorch mark in his chest. He's also a random dual-pistol wielding bad rear end, and no further explanation is given for his presence, it is wonderful.

Evil Kira is great but goddamn somebody needs to just SHOOT her now. How many times does she walk past the heroes with a gun, there's a standoff, and then somebody lets her go? I mean, seriously people!

Blake's 7 did that kind of thing several times with Servalan, too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
they'll call it ST:I in hopes of snagging some of the CSI audience

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

I want to see this quoted in 2017

then decompress the main shuttlebay, that might kick us out of the way

I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along those lines, wasn't Darkplace considered a sort of expensive production because they were trying to make it look like 1980s schlock?

keep in mind Darkplace was a British production, so anything more complicated than throwing a few people behind a table and having them snark at each other for 28 minutes is "sort of expensive" for them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little? Are you saying there will be no HD re-release of DS9, or that there will be, but it will not contain any extra features?

Also, was Ezrai Dax not well liked, and really forced to eat at the lesser craft services table? If so, why? Her acting ability seemed to surpass Terry Farrel's, not that that is a super high bar. Was she not as friendly as Farrel possibly? Where are all these neat stories about the cast, I would love to read up on some of them.

https://twitter.com/burnettrm/status/551563078983098369

quote:

Don't hold your breath.

The Blu Ray sales were EXTREMELY disappointing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I was younger I purchased the entire DVD set of both TNG and DS9, back when they were like $130 per season each, or when you were lucky about $90 at Costco. That is $1,400 or so worth of Star Trek. It is likely that many fans have these sets already. I just did a check on Amazon, and while the new seasons are sold by Amazon at about $30, they still have a MSRP of $130. I don't think in this day and age people are going to pay so much for content that they already have. Expecting people to pay new content prices (that are unreasonable to start with) for something that is essentially an upgrade will probably lead to disappointment. I would like to see a HD remake of DS9, but I think the business model they have may be flawed.

DS9 and Voyager also have a higher burden in the fact that their SD content just doesn't look as bad as TNG's early pink-tinged seasons did. I mean seriously, even if I was watching on an 80s-vintage CRT television, I'd still rather be watching the TNG remasters because the color is just that much better. I'm not sure I could make the same case for DS9.

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS still has their expectations skewed by what they were able to squeeze from the DVD boxsets back in the day. I mean, those things sold, in part because while $130+ for a season boxset is pretty nuts, it was peanuts compared to collecting the series on VHS where you might be paying $15-30 for a single episode and there were definitely people out there who would have like all of TOS on VHS.

Also a big problem was that they had TNG BD releases competing against the standard-def poo poo that was streaming on Netflix. Might have worked better if they could have pulled TNG from Netflix while they were doing the BD releases, but I'm not sure if that was even possible for them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would consider paying a small fee to watch it if it was on a service I already use like Hulu/Amazon/Netflix, but I am not going to get yet another streaming service just for Star Trek.

That makes sense, but are there enough other people out there who would do the same?

I guess at the end of the day it's entirely possible that no matter how you package or price it, there's just not enough demand to generate the profits that CBS thinks is necessary to justify spending millions of dollars on that kind of project.

EDIT: That said, I completely sympathize with the "buy-in" sentiment, especially when you consider just how ridiculously high the margins must have been on those DVD sets.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also, with the exception of DS9, Trek was never really comfortable with having larger casts. i mean on TNG they went from a main cast of nine at the beginning to seven by the end of fourth season, and i don't think they ever considered adding anyone.

hell, if Gates McFadden hadn't been willing to come back in the third season, it wouldn't have surprised me if the producers just shrugged and said "ehhhhh do we really need a doctor on this show?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

To be fair, TOS has two and a half main characters, so even that was a pretty big step up

Yeah, but then the TNG movies came along and it turned into the Picard & Data show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kitchner posted:

The average American Movie Goer can't comprehend more than 2 main characters.

Nah, there's been plenty of good, successful movies with more than two main characters. It's a failure of the writers.

• Locked thread