Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I definitely think this time a US backed regime change is going to work out well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Chuck Boone posted:

I don't have all the details at the moment but I'm confident saying that the overwhelming majority of the dead were anti-Maduro protesters.

last time there were protests they set a black guy on fire because he was clearly a chavista

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...be20_story.html

does anyone know if the offers of food aid from other countries than the us are more substantial? $20m in food aid is a drop in the bucket, $0.65/person.

the US could just drop its sanctions and allow venezuela to import food :thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1089972689282961412

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

like all right wing ghouls all they care about is enriching themselves even when that involves selling off the venezuelan state oil company. The fact he held secret talks with the US before doing this and has the backing of someone desperate for war and another person who likes to organise genocides should be deeply concerning

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1089986807922675714

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think theyr'e arguing that since maduro is enriching himself that the opposition should also do so

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well its going to happen if maduro gets deposed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i wonder why the US are so gung ho about regime change

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1088414772163461120

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nice meltdown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cool I'm sure this wouldn't turn out to be a terrible idea

https://twitter.com/Dan_Beeton/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Everyone talks about maduro enriching himself can someone show me evidence of it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I missed it when it was posted and would like to read it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It seemed faster to ask than go through a 300 page thread to get some link

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I'm preparing a better info dump.

Good because the links that were just posted aren't particularly convincing just that there is lots of corruption generally going on which is to be expected considering how hosed things are

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Sure, there is corruption in the higher positions of power, the nephews of Maduro's wife were engaged in drug trafficking but the man himself is clearly not connected to any of that :thunk:

Conspiring to import cocaine and being incredibly loving stupid about it. Probably because they're his nephews and thought they'd definitely get away with it since he is president

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats pretty compelling unlike the rest. I'll be curious as to how it ends

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maduro sucks op i don't think i've ever claimed he was good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

To whom? I'm not saying they aren't awful but they're not the ones that currently have my country in the situation it's in.

Well the collapse of oil price and the US designating it a threat to national security play a large part of that but admittedly the second of those was Obama

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Furia posted:

Do you mean the collapse in oil production? Funny how despite being the only source of income they destroyed the infrastructure

Re the national security threat I’d have to ask what exactly do you mean and more explenation on why you believe it to be relevant

It makes anyone doing business with Venezuela extremely risky. Credit Suisse got fined $536m for doing business with a country designated as such in 2009. This was done by the Obama government back in 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Furia posted:

Which business was it? What country? What status are you talking about?

These are honest questions. There’s something you know that I don’t and would like to know what it is to inform my opinions accordingly. Was it like a terrorism thing or something?

It was countries between 1995-2006 so quite a lot of possible countries you can see in the second link

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-venezuela-idUSKBN0M51NS20150310

quote:

Declaring any country a threat to national security is the first step in starting a U.S. sanctions program. The same process has been followed with countries such as Iran and Syria, U.S. officials said.

The White House said the order targeted people whose actions undermined democratic processes or institutions, had committed acts of violence or abuse of human rights, were involved in prohibiting or penalizing freedom of expression, or were government officials involved in public corruption.

“Venezuelan officials past and present who violate the human rights of Venezuelan citizens and engage in acts of public corruption will not be welcome here, and we now have the tools to block their assets and their use of U.S. financial systems,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said in a statement.

“We are deeply concerned by the Venezuelan government’s efforts to escalate intimidation of its political opponents,” he added.

Designating a country/entity a threat to national security enacts this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Emergency_Economic_Powers_Act

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The fact that Guaido has declared himself the figurehead of this movement is honestly the only reason I'm suspicious about the opposition at all. I can think of maybe a dozen more sane and reasonable things that could be done with all this protest energy than put this guy no one has ever heard of in charge of the country because he pinky swears that he's one of the good ones.

The fact it is known he coordinated with the us before doing so is another big reason to be suspicious of him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Furia posted:

I know. I think I should give it a rest for a day or two.

Do your coworkers ask you about cocaine by the way? It is literally the first thing that comes out of their mouths like 70% of the time

The stuff in the UK is shite so I'd say anyone asking has given it a go is why

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1091852445737803776

as recently as 2009 the US was doing dodgy poo poo with the USAID program

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/usaid-latin-americans-cuba-rebellion-hiv-workshops

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 7, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

cool

https://twitter.com/Travis_Waldron/status/1093857676793180161

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just casually comparing Maduro to Saddam I'm sure there are no implications there

https://twitter.com/LaCasaBlanca/status/1093559350994616325

also lol

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1094032184875175936

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zapplez posted:

Comparing the bbc to Russia times. Really?

lol the BBC is complete trash now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

In case anyone didn't click this since Jose is a terrible shitposter and bad at even describing his own links, it's actually quite interesting and worth highlighting:

https://medium.com/@justin.emery/the-tienditas-bridge-blockade-f240728fe5f7

You can also clearly see on Google Maps that the fencing and concrete blocks have been there for a long time, e.g. on Google Earth's most recent dated image from July 6, 2018 has fences are there, and the fences were there in older images too (e.g. Jan 2018) and there has been a barricade there -- on the Colombian side -- the entire time since the bridge was completed in 2015. The current fence dates from August 2017 which was sometime after they painted the white stripes on the lanes.

However, what Justin Emery doesn't discuss is that the trucks are new, and the trucks must have been brought there by the Venezuelans. The fence is indeed set up by the Colombians and it appears to exactly at the national border (note that Google Maps does NOT do borders 100% correctly; the border is Rio Tachira) and the trucks are (a) on the Venezuelan side of the border, (b) have been set up there sometime in the past 6 months (probably they were put up within the past couple weeks, but this is hard to corroborate).

That said, the Pompeo story is largely bullshit since that bridge was never open, but it's worth noting that the Venezuelan government did also put their own block there too, and quite recently, for some reason.

Lol a single poster engaged with me when I showed that there have been effective sanctions on Venezuela since 2015 due to it being considered a threat to national security and you call me a terrible poo poo poster

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The bridge that already wasn't open and could support gently caress all traffic anyway?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Chuck Boone posted:

The bridge was finished in 2016 but never opened because Maduro kept closing the border with Colombia on a whim. It's never been used.

The Colombian authorities were obviously going to remove their barricade to allow the convoy through. The Venezuelan authorities knew the Colombian barricades were coming down, so they put the trailers there.

What convoy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seriously what convoys and what evidence is there he Colombian government were removing their barricades?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Aid is great, and I'm not faulting the people on the ground in Cucuta, or doubting that Cucuta is full of warehouses of food.

What I'm saying is: Cucuta isn't exactly the only (or even a remotely good) way to actually ship things en masse into Venezuela. Venezuela has a lot of port infrastructure, this isn't North Yemen with one functioning port and no alternative options. I'm saying if there was any hope of the aid in Cucuta ever going through at all and getting anywhere, then it means why not just send it through Maracaibo or Maiquetia? Sending a cargo ship of food to Maiquetia seems about 100x more efficient than sending trucks to Cucuta. If the PSUV won't allow a cargo ship of free food to dock at any of the large Caribbean ports, then what hope did a bunch of trucks in Cucuta ever have? If Guaido can't even get access at a SINGLE port in the entire goddamn country to unload a single cargo ship of food, to encourage internal dissent of port workers to override Maduro's commands, or at least use this as a genuine rallying cry for international help then he's utterly useless. Unfortunately he does indeed seem to be utterly useless, as much as I admire his courage for trying to topple the Maduro dictatorship. I also think he, or almost literally anyone, would be a vast improvement over Maduro.

I mean yes the new bridge is way better equipped than the old ones for aid shipments, I'm just saying that with Maduro in power, it's totally irrelevant and Pompeo et al are just virtue signalling shitbags. I'm saying that they're intentionally being incompetent with sending "aid" to Venezuela via Cucuta and refusing to use any of the bridges except the one that was never even open. They are trying to send it in a way that maximizes the image that "we're helping and Maduro is evil" and that minimizes actual costs or utility. I mean, even one 18 wheeler of grain getting through is great and all in that it would feed hungry people, but the way it's being done is purely an exercise in image. From the perspective of the people organizing the aid sent to Cucuta, it seems like their opinion is "if someone happens to get food, that's great, but that's not even remotely our goal". So the good bridge is closed, OK it's been a week, why are they still twiddling with their dicks and not sending it across the other 2 bridges? Slower is better than not at all if you actually want to give aid and not score political points.

I don't think the aid is a CIA trojan horse for guns or whatever; there's plenty of unsecured border for weapons to go through. I just think it's purely an exercise in image. If they really wanted to force food into Venezuela, then ffs they should send a cargo ship of rice to Maiquetia and see if the dock workers let it in and unload it, or if the military steals it all. It's not like Maiquetia is a closed port, there are cargo ships going in and out of there every day carrying goods of all different sorts. Pompeo and the MSM are acting like Venezuela is the DPRK and that bridge is the only way across the DMZ. I also don't subscribe to the "lol MSM === fake news" hot takes, but this story reeks to me even if what Pompeo has said is technically true. But, like many RT stories, "technically accurate" can be quite misleading.

This is a great post

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1094265370574245888?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mcyost/status/1094590970811830274

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

elgatofilo posted:

Ilhan Omar is the worst possible person the Democrats could've chosen right now to confront Abrams and try to get some accountability going here. Not only has she put herself in an incredibly weak position but she somehow managed to make a war criminal look like the victim.

She is getting absolutely skewered in the Miami Herald for her anti-Semitic remarks and pro-Maduro remarks

SHe has said nothing antisemitic or pro-maduro you idiot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A few weeks ago was before it was clear the us wanted a coup and they put someone who ran death squads across multiple countries in the 80s in charge of it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AGGGGH BEES posted:

people who believe antisemitic things defend antisemitic politician, film at 11

Im Jewish. gently caress off troika

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm genuinely impressed anyone still supports an Abrams backed opposition on the forums considering his history

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

No one does. They support an opposition movement that predates him.

Guaido discussed with Bolton his plans before declaring himself preside lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

seeing as how the chemical attacks last year where just shown as staged i fail to see the problem with this tweet