Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

• The National Youth Orchestra of Venezuela was scheduled to go on tour in the US in September. They were going to play with Gustavo Dudamel, a Venezuelan conductor currently with the Los Angeles Philharmonic orchestra. Dudamel is really famous in those circles, and as a Venezuelan he's a huge role model. I don't need to explain that touring the US with Dudamel would be a life-changing event for the children of the National Youth Orchestra.

Maduro cancelled the tour yesterday because Dudamel has become an outspoken critic of the regime in recent months. Dudamel said that he was "heartbroken" by Maduro's decision.

Holy poo poo he's literally a caricature of a villain.
"Stop criticizing me or I will punish these innocent children!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the op is out of date, can anyone living there post an up-to-date overview if you ever have time?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Either the MUD is incompetent or their leaders are being paid.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

After they did all the voting center fuckery? Why did they bother with that if they were just gonna make up numbers anyways.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Was Chavez all that bad? I always heard it mostly got super bad when Maduro took over but maybe it was just the falling oil price and zero investment

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

people are literally starving, here's hoping something happens before it gets even worse

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

lollontee posted:

edit:nvm misread

stay safe man. do you have a gun or something at least?

That's terrible advice. His cows are worth less than his life...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

Things have cooled down around my area now that the DIM (Military Counterinelligence) have put some order. They imposed a curfew, gave permission to farmowners to shoot down poachers and are patrolling the area. They are also entering and searching for the beer that was stolen from the Alimentos Polar trucks because it belongs to a colonel. So the only reason we're being helped is because someone in the army was personally affected by this shitshow, guess its better than nothing :smith: .

get out it will only get worse

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

In the military I assume you at least get the basics of life most of the time, such as food to feed your family.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah so we were working to destabilize the government even then.

I don't think the Venezuelan government is great but it's hard for me to think of a time that US intervention has been a good thing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

I assume that the posters in this thread who are against US intervention are equally opposed to Russian or Chinese intervention to prop up Maduro, since intervening in another country's affairs is always immoral, right?

Yes. Intervening to prop up Maduro is bad. However intervening to install full communism is good,because not intervention isn't bad.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Grape posted:

Now me personally I think the movement against monopolized social power, the one big on power of the masses, really needs to not get involved with the whole personality cult thing in the first place? Call me crazy but those are bad things.

From looking at the history of the world, it seems that one leader making decisions and them being acted on, even if they're not the correct decisions, holds up better than committee rule. I guess if you're accepting input there's a good chance some of that input is people trying to sabotage.

Note that all of this is sleepy ranting as I can't seem to. Fall asleep

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Aren't you attacking someone's credibility based on their beliefs in something stupid, then using actual nazi propaganda words like the "holodomor"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Neurosis posted:

The genocide label might be inaccurate because as I recall there's legitimate debate about the degree to which starvation was the intention, but even if it wasn't the outcome sought the authorities at least showed gross negligence, and probably reckless indifference, so I'm also curious how it can be written off as fascist propaganda.

I mean the word itself. Not denying there was a famine which was exacerbated by mismanagement. Holodomor is, as far as I can tell, a word chosen by Ukrainian nationalists to try to conflate it with the holocaust to make USSR sound worse/Germany not as bad. Hell, one of the earlier people pushing the term wrote a long-form attack on Jewish people for not being anti communist enough.

None of this has much to do with Venezuela though,and the Maduro regimes ability to gently caress up in new and unexpected ways.