Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
My money says the first bullet never made it out the barrel due to improper burning of the propellent (a squib). The shooter didn't notice and proceeded to fire a bunch more rounds.

This can happen if you screw-up your reloads and aren't paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

radical meme posted:

3) I worked with a lady who was out one night with her boyfriend. They came home to his house just in time to meet a burglar coming out of her boyfriend's front door. The burglar shot her boyfriend in the chest with the boyfriend's gun that he had stolen from the nightstand next to her boyfriend's bed. Her boyfriend lived.
This is why the government should make gun safes tax deductible. A common-sense step to encourage those with guns to store them safely and keep them out of the hands of criminals.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is why the government should make gun safes tax deductible. A common-sense step to encourage those with guns to store them safely and keep them out of the hands of criminals.
What percentage of black market guns are stolen during home robberies, anyway? Since this thread is just the latest iteration of a loop that has basically always existed, I assume someone just knows off the top of their head.

I guess more in general, what's the primary way in which legal and registered handguns get into someone's car trunk about to be sold for $50?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 30, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What percentage of black market guns are stolen during home robberies, anyway? Since this thread is just the latest iteration of a loop that has basically always existed, I assume someone just knows off the top of their head.

I guess more in general, what's the primary way in which legal and registered handguns get into someone's car trunk about to be sold for $50?

I recall reading a Department of Corrections survey from the 90s where the main responses were about evenly divided up between illegal means (theft, street purchases, etc), and getting it from friends/family. "Other" purchases such as gun shows, pawn shops, legal purchases, were 10-15% as I recall.

I want to say it included statistics before and after NICS was set up and that legal purchases dropped to a couple percent after it was deployed, but I can't be sure and I can't find the survey.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Who What Now posted:

I wish there was a full-auto rifle that fired .22lr with a huge drum magazine so I could get rid of the eight billion rounds my dad gave me because he bought them all for a nickel. I need to get rid of these loving things, but there's just no end to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-180

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I have no need of guns. I have a katana

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GlennFinito posted:

I have no need of guns. I have a katana

Someone beheaded a dude in the town a lived in a few years ago. Right down the block from me too.

They also never found the decapitator.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One thing to consider is that if we keep guns out of the hands of criminals there won't be any armed criminals therefore defeating the point of owning a gun for self defense in the first place. This is why I feel that tax breaks for gun safes is a bad idea.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Someone beheaded a dude in the town a lived in a few years ago. Right down the block from me too.

They also never found the decapitator.

Behead those who criticize The Way of the Gun

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

That picture was .300 blackout fired through a 5.56 silencer, FYI.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

:negative: You son of a bitch.

What? :confused:

E:

Haha, rad

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

That picture was .300 blackout fired through a 5.56 silencer, FYI.

And the other one was probably a squib load, or insufficient powder in the cartridge, which meant the first bullet didn't get out of the barrel and the rest got stuck behind it. The barrel didn't burst because it's a revolver, so excess gas could vent from the cylinder gap.

You're like "oh my I'm simply awash in .22lr that I don't even want." Meanwhile the rest of us are camped out at Cabela's trying to buy one box of it. t:mad: (kidding)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well I'd say I'd be happy to give some away, but my .22 is probably my favorite gun I own because it's great for when I just want to plink away at some cans or a target and don't want to need to wear ear protection or feel like I'm just pissing money down the drain. I'd actually like to buy another .22 just so I have something else to shoot it with (preferably a pistol, I know they make them), but I cant justify spending money on a gun after buying a house.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I have a SilencerCo Sparrow for my Ruger 10/22 and it's cool as hell. The impacts are louder than the shot, which is about as loud as a BB gun. Gemtech makes an entire silenced 10/22 barrel replacement that's probably even quieter, but cleaning that thing looks like a huge pain. Shooting without ear pro really makes it a lot more enjoyable when you're outdoors.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr.Bob posted:

One of my best friends shot himself in the head while arguing with his wife in the driveway of their house, supposedly to prove some point to her. A close friend of his had just died and he was in a a bad way. He had been doing well for himself as far as I can tell but you never know what is under the surface. I am sad he is gone, but guns are still rad.

Edit: he was an organ donor so he still lives on and has saved the lives of several others in his death.

I'm not against gun control, I'm just pro-suicide?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Well why aren't you out campaigning about the 30,000+ fatal car accidents per year then? Because obviously the licensing, insurance, etc, we have on vehicle ownership is insufficient.

Because cars aren't toys for the irresponsible, they are actually a useful part of daily life.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Because cars aren't toys for the irresponsible, they are actually a useful part of daily life.

What about how swimming pools kill more kids than guns?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

various cheeses posted:

Hmmm the basis of the American economy or cars...
Yep totally a good faith argument.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

RuanGacho posted:

Hmmm the basis of the American economy or cars...
Yep totally a good faith argument.

Just trying to fulfill the prophecy:

tumblr.txt posted:

I think we're at the part where we talk about how many cars/doctors kill people, which will be countered by the claim cars/doctors are an essential part of modern life. A few fringe posters will disagree and propose banning or regulating cars/doctors. Someone will compare guns on private property to cars on private property.

The topic will then change to backyard swimming pools, which are both unnecessary and kill way more kids than guns do.

A new entrant will then bring up an already-settled claim from 10 pages back, using discredited data, and the dance will begin again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I agree, get rid of all above ground pools.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Why yes I have a concealed carry permit for my above ground swimming pool officer, why do you ask?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

various cheeses posted:

So we only care about kids now?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Young Freud posted:

The first one looks like a miscalculation in caliber size, which resulted in the bullets getting stuck like that.

The second one is why you don't use open-jacketed ammunition in a suppressor.

AH. It's a suppressor, I see now. ty!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Blue Raider posted:

im so glad my guns make you angry dnd

You could have justed posted a U MAD? image macro. Would have been funnier.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

various cheeses posted:

Just trying to fulfill the prophecy:

No, this sentiment has never ended badly for anyone.

You know the real reason guns are bad? They're a luxury item with walmart prices. Death is too cheap.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not against gun control, I'm just pro-suicide?

I think Suicide should be legal and encouraged whether doctor assisted or not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm anti-suicide squad because that movie looks like poo poo

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

So we only care about kids now?

Wow look at this guy, he doesn't care about kids. :smugdog:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Kids die for literally no reason all the time.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lol, kid death. Not as serious and important as my toy selection

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Warbadger posted:

The number of guns flowing into Mexico from the US really isn't that large, or at least not as large as the media blitz was making it out to be years back. The headline grabbing statistics about 90% of cartel guns recovered found to be from the US originated from the ATF (before Fast & Furious) and were only based on the subset of recovered guns the Mexican government had submitted to the ATF for tracking. Of course the Mexican government (intelligently) only submitted guns to the ATF for tracking that they already suspected might be from the US based on manufacturer, serial #, etc. and that subset ended up only including something like a fifth of the total guns they recovered. Blah blah blah excuses excuses

I checked into these claims a few months ago and was shocked to discover that the source appears to be a couple of right wing websites which do not substantiate their claims or appear to understand the basics of statistical sampling

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I too look into claims, yet never post the counters to support my stance on issues.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fog Tripper posted:

I too look into claims, yet never post the counters to support my stance on issues.

This is actually true though, you don't do that b

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

This is actually true though, you don't do that b

When have I not done that

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Always

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tezzor posted:

I checked into these claims a few months ago and was shocked to discover that the source appears to be a couple of right wing websites which do not substantiate their claims or appear to understand the basics of statistical sampling

I, too, looked into those claims.

Here is a neat report from the United States Government Accountability Office.

Lets see what it says!

Report posted:

In 2008, of the almost 30,000 firearms that the Mexican Attorney General’s office said were seized, only
around 7,200, or approximately a quarter, were submitted to ATF for tracing.

Here's a chart to help you.

When you look at some of the cartel seizures in Mexico (which has strong gun control schemes, by the way - its just as if not more difficult for a citizen to legally obtain say, a handgun as it is in Norway for example) you'll see full-auto squad machine guns, rocket launchers, grenades - these are not things you buy at Bob's Sporting Store in the States in the first place.

Courtesy of Guatemala, for example.

I had more, but Imgur needs another eMachines in their server farm I guess.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

I, too, looked into those claims.

Here is a neat report from the United States Government Accountability Office.

Lets see what it says!

Here's a chart to help you.

This is bad, even by the low bar one comes to expect from gun nuts.

It's like insisting that Hillary has <0.1% support because that poll that shows her at 55% in the general only polled a thousand people, so only 550 support here.

Here's the number that matters: 87% of seized firearms traced to their origin were from the United States.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

This is bad, even by the low bar one comes to expect from gun nuts.

It's like insisting that Hillary has <0.1% support because that poll that shows her at 55% in the general only polled a thousand people, so only 550 support here.

Here's the number that matters: 87% of seized firearms traced to their origin were from the United States.

if you polled a thousand people carrying Clinton 2016 placards at a Clinton campaign rally and only 55% supported her, that probably would not be indicative that Hillary has 55% support nationwide.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I can't believe you guys are comparing illegally running guns to Mexico with something as despicable as supporting Hillary.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the scenario of maybe 50% of hillary supporters actually wanting her to be president was just the most plausible analogy that came to mind

• Locked thread