Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soral
May 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

the frog is touching the treasure

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

i'm praying for you

Soral
May 30, 2009

In Training posted:

I'm literally going to be shakeing with jealously when I wake up at dawn on the side of a mountain on 9/1, look out over the landscape and take a deep breath and think about the lucky millions who are gaming with shades drawn and enjoy]n what is likely to be the greatest game ever made.

you will be in my thoughts while i'm gameing this september first

Soral
May 30, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Respect to the OP and all, but this isn't going to be the Imp Zone MGSV thread.

i don't think any respect is due to the op

Soral
May 30, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just 100%ed GZ for the second time because I am running out of ways to contain my need to play this game.

I also beat MGS4 and PW (main story missions only) again, played them back and forth this month. So now I can officially say that I have completed Metal Gear August.

Gonna sperg about MGS4 a bit, because it gets knocked for its story all the time and I think it has kind of an unfair reputation:

I mentioned earlier in one of the threads about how, if you approach the series chronologically, you can see that as warfare shifts from a conflict between ideals to simply conflict for its own sake, you see less "magic" and more technology in its place.

MGS4 is neat because it goes to all this trouble to create an atmosphere that most people just completely ignored. You have all the fake advertisements for PMC recruiting, and In Act 3 you have this sort of Orwellian Europe where loudspeakers calmly announce that anyone out past curfew will be executed on the spot. Though I have some problems with Act 3's gameplay, it's pretty important thematically for a few reasons.

First of all, you have to consider that Acts 1 and 2 take place in the Middle East and South America, which are basically the 2 de-facto settings for most FPSes / military games. But suddenly Act 3 drops you into Europe, and it's a PMC occupied dystopia where armed drones are literally patrolling the skies at all times. Act 3 is basically a very unsubtle attempt to ask, What is the ethical / moral burden of war when your country isn't losing any lives? What if Blackwater did all of our fighting? What happens when technology can completely divorce you from the actual violence being perpetrated? In Acts 1 and 2, you see rebel militia, but notably you never see who they are actually rebelling against. The opposition is entirely represented by the PMCs.

This gets into the real meat of MGS4's thematic approach: the argument that the trauma resulting from war is incredibly dehumanizing, and that technology fills the gap left behind when humanity is stripped away. The world of MGS4 is in a perpetual state of conflict-by-proxy, to the point that everyone is experiencing that trauma. You can consider the SOP program to essentially be the product of that trauma - it's PTSD on a global scale.

I think the B&B Corp was an attempt to put a face to this idea, though the execution leaves something to be desired. (I think Skullface is going to be playing a similar role in TPP, at least partially). Drebin's stories are extreme to the point of parody, and it's possible that he was making them up completely, but in the end he is just telling iterations of his own story - a child traumatized by war, stripped of even their name, and confined to a technological prison by the Patriot AI (Drebin's APC isn't all that different from the Beast suits, at the end of the day).

edit: Also worth pointing out that the world of MGS4 comes pretty close to creating "a timeless enemy" by wrapping the entire globe into a cycle of reciprocal violence - everyone is at war with everyone, always, for reasons that are entirely unclear ("We've always been at war with Eastasia"). In a way, Ocelot ends up being the person who comes closest to carrying out the Boss's will, and he probably didn't even realize it.

Anyway that is my completely unsolicited MGS4 wall o' text.

source your quotes

Soral
May 30, 2009

Just 100%ed GZ for the second time because I am running out of ways to contain my need to play this game.

I also beat MGS4 and PW (main story missions only) again, played them back and forth this month. So now I can officially say that I have completed Metal Gear August.

Gonna sperg about MGS4 a bit, because it gets knocked for its story all the time and I think it has kind of an unfair reputation:

I mentioned earlier in one of the threads about how, if you approach the series chronologically, you can see that as warfare shifts from a conflict between ideals to simply conflict for its own sake, you see less "magic" and more technology in its place.

MGS4 is neat because it goes to all this trouble to create an atmosphere that most people just completely ignored. You have all the fake advertisements for PMC recruiting, and In Act 3 you have this sort of Orwellian Europe where loudspeakers calmly announce that anyone out past curfew will be executed on the spot. Though I have some problems with Act 3's gameplay, it's pretty important thematically for a few reasons.

First of all, you have to consider that Acts 1 and 2 take place in the Middle East and South America, which are basically the 2 de-facto settings for most FPSes / military games. But suddenly Act 3 drops you into Europe, and it's a PMC occupied dystopia where armed drones are literally patrolling the skies at all times. Act 3 is basically a very unsubtle attempt to ask, What is the ethical / moral burden of war when your country isn't losing any lives? What if Blackwater did all of our fighting? What happens when technology can completely divorce you from the actual violence being perpetrated? In Acts 1 and 2, you see rebel militia, but notably you never see who they are actually rebelling against. The opposition is entirely represented by the PMCs.

This gets into the real meat of MGS4's thematic approach: the argument that the trauma resulting from war is incredibly dehumanizing, and that technology fills the gap left behind when humanity is stripped away. The world of MGS4 is in a perpetual state of conflict-by-proxy, to the point that everyone is experiencing that trauma. You can consider the SOP program to essentially be the product of that trauma - it's PTSD on a global scale.

I think the B&B Corp was an attempt to put a face to this idea, though the execution leaves something to be desired. (I think Skullface is going to be playing a similar role in TPP, at least partially). Drebin's stories are extreme to the point of parody, and it's possible that he was making them up completely, but in the end he is just telling iterations of his own story - a child traumatized by war, stripped of even their name, and confined to a technological prison by the Patriot AI (Drebin's APC isn't all that different from the Beast suits, at the end of the day).

edit: Also worth pointing out that the world of MGS4 comes pretty close to creating "a timeless enemy" by wrapping the entire globe into a cycle of reciprocal violence - everyone is at war with everyone, always, for reasons that are entirely unclear ("We've always been at war with Eastasia"). In a way, Ocelot ends up being the person who comes closest to carrying out the Boss's will, and he probably didn't even realize it.

this post takes more time to read than it takes to watch all the cutscenes in mgs4 lol

Soral
May 30, 2009

just kidding everyone

Soral
May 30, 2009

but seriously, this post is bigger than my xbox lmao (very large)

Soral
May 30, 2009

big boss repeatedly uses the word "norm" in places where other characters would have said "meme" and i think its a better piece of story telling and character development then whatever the gently caress was talked about in that huge rear end post earlier

Soral
May 30, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I-I don't have a PS3 :negative:

I think I can do this.

http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Solid-3-Snake-Eater/

http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Solid-Peace-Walker/

Soral
May 30, 2009

12 AM NZ Sept. 1, 2015 is 24 hours from now

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

the frog has forsaken us

Soral
May 30, 2009

Solid Snake: Octopus, Raven, Wolf, Frog...
Drebin: You got it. They're the IMPHOUND Unit, and they've got you in their sights.

Soral
May 30, 2009

26 hours

Soral
May 30, 2009

Shoehead posted:

This poo poo is either out in 40 minutes or 30 hours

or 16 hours

Soral
May 30, 2009

what does the frog have to say about this pressing issue

Soral
May 30, 2009

the konami official twitter says that that is when pre-orders close. but you will be able to install at 12 am edt

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Steam says tomorrow at noon CDT so it's probably that

@Konami
@liquidsteak1 There is no mixed message. Pre-Orders unlock at 12:00 am EST. The pre-order window ends at 10:00 am PST @steam_games update

Soral
May 30, 2009

you can download the game and play at 12 AM EST/9PM PST. You can "pre-order" until 1 PM EST/10 AM PST, which is when valve updates the steam store

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

i can't imagine that getting 4 extra FOBs would cost $80... there must be something else you can spend money on

Soral
May 30, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

Actually $80 could get you 8000 pennies, so you'd be out 2000 coins if you went with Konami.

pennies are outlawed in canada so it's actually a really great deal over here

Soral
May 30, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just found out that my GameStop is having a midnight release, so I don't have to wait until 10am to grab it. These are happy times indeed.

the pc release is 12 am est / 9pm pst

Soral
May 30, 2009

FOBs are optional

Soral
May 30, 2009

if i was big boss i would use metal gear ZEKE to launch a nuclear strike on pyf, obliterating ti completely for disrespecting hideo kojima

Soral
May 30, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

/v/ has come to

Soral
May 30, 2009

gas this thread and make the official one - the game launches on pc in 10 hours

Soral
May 30, 2009

SeXReX posted:

the culture of being worried about "spoilers" has been carfuly crafted by "the industry" so that online discussion focuses on official marketing department propaganda

gotta control the narative

no. incorrect. wrong. gently caress you. bitch,.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Dongicus posted:

its September 1st in the uk

we've arrived

Soral
May 30, 2009

i'll play the game tonight and then watch that video tomorrow and let you know

Soral
May 30, 2009

big mega64 fan here,

Soral
May 30, 2009

good luck, gamer. the rest of peace walker until the first ending is very intense.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the thing i am most concerned about is how the ground zeroes save game upload carries your progress over. are targets you extract just checked off a list or does it only count who you extract in your best run? or your most recent run?

Soral
May 30, 2009

it is a testamount to my faith in how amazing this game will be that the thing i am most concerned about tpp is something as retarded as that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

:negative:

The last time I ordered something to this location it took longer than the time shown here, and the internet is too bad to think about getting it digitally. Please enjoy MGSV everyone. I'm going to pretend it doesn't come out yet and not talk to anyone I know about it.

stay strong

• Locked thread