Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrChips posted:

That's the point of the game; you don't! :ssh:

Also it gets a hell of a lot more ridiculous/hilarious from there, believe me.

I love what the Soviet Benzo analog does.
Aw, man - glad I laundered bought the $10K in twenties when I had just enough BTC. My tip account got suspended, and with it my tip-bot.

Tusen Takk posted:

Same, i saved up 40BTC and bought a stack of $10,000 in $20 bills off the darknet, but now it wont let me choose a mining rig or whatever

That, too.
I love how all of the graphs for profit margins on all the mining rigs are negative.

scuz posted:

Guys the Mad Max video game was released today.

Yes, it was.

Pre-order @ GameStop included an exclusive in-game car body, a poster, and a sweet diecast of one variation of the Magnum Opus.
I'm liking the game. Chumbucket is awesome - spark plug necklace, another sparkplug in his ear, and a tool pouch loincloth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T1g4h posted:

New Mad Max game confirmed awesome as gently caress. Really don't see why there were 4 other options you could pick when choosing a body for your car because this one is :perfect:

Game also has a built in capture mode that pauses the action, removes the HUD, and gives you free cam with lots of options. More games need this feature :h:

T1g4h posted:

The hell you say. I picked the only correct option since Wild Hunt is the classic Interceptor, son :colbert:

I picked the '32 Ford looking thing, just to be different. I thought about Wild Hunt, but it's not the BoB, man (rear side windows aren't right). Besides, you can change bodies later on, I think. I almost got the Rolls body, just because offroad Rolls.
Note that the diecast that the Game Stop preorder came with is a Wind Hunt, though.

Enourmo posted:

17+ EXCLISIVE COLLECTIBLE VEHICLE RATED M

naw but for real that's p sweet

Also, on the back, it says "THIS IS A COLLECTIBLE NOT A TOY" on the back, in big, bold capitals. The GameStop guy found that humorous and pointed it out.

It's cheap Chinese, but the casting isn't bad. I don't like the generic weenie wheels it's got on it. May take it out of the package and hack some nice Hot Wheels wheels into it. Or find a second one on eBay, if they're not stupid expensive.

MustardFacial posted:

Please don't pre-order video games

I usually don't. I "pre-ordered" it like last Thursday. I wanted the damned diecast. Also, why not? I was pretty sure I'd like the game after reviews, who made it, etc.

T1g4h posted:

Goddamnit I want that diecast Opus so much :allears:

Game owns. I've sunk 10 hours into it so far and haven't even reached the second half of the map, just been loving around doing all the side mission-y stuff.

Only reason I pre-ordered. Played for about 4 hours last night and haven't even gotten out of Chumbucket's territory.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

:siren: MustardFacial gets in a huff about the games industry.....again. :siren:

The reason why you shouldn't pre-order games is because the publishers want you on the hook before the embargo's drop and you find out the game is a big piece of poo poo. They want their $60 from you based solely on the marketing and hype train they've managed to generate. Ever wonder why video game advertising seems so much more sensationalist than anything else? That's why. These companies want you on the hook before anyone has had a chance to warn you off it.

Want to know why there aren't demos anymore? This is why. The onus is no longer on the game maker to convince you they're making a good game, when you are so willing to plop down $60 months before it's out.

Do you want games to be stable on release? Do you want new IP? Do you want the content of the game to justify the money you spent? Do you want GOOD games again? Then stop pre-ordering. Publishers have exactly ZERO reason to ensure any of these things happen if you keep pre-ordering games. The same game you pre-ordered will still be there on release day, yeah you probably wouldn't have gotten the hot wheels but the fact that they're willing to include something like that (and charge you extra for it) shows how badly they want your money upfront, right now.

Oh, OK, yeah - I generally don't preorder stuff months in advance or whatever. This one already had good reviews, and the developer had made several games that I enjoyed already. Hell, half the time I buy used, but this one looked good enough, and I want the Mad Max franchise to benefit, basically.

T1g4h posted:

I just got the Shovel Face, Furnace, and :siren:SUPER SPECIAL PRE-ORDER BONUS RIPPER:siren: available on my save. The Shovel Face actually looks pretty fuckin' rad after a few upgrades, not gonna lie.

I got the Ripper, but not far enough along yet to start swapping stuff. Only just got to Jeet's fortress last night. Did get an enemy car stored there, though. NOW I MUST COLLECT THEM ALL!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just got off the phone with interview #2 at a place that called me out of the blue for the same thing I do now. The starting pay is a window of +10-25k more than what I make now. Bills are getting paid just fine but I'm not rolling in money or anything so the extra bump would definitely be appreciated. Negatives? Losing out on 5k cash due to an acquisition I wouldn't be around for in 6 months, adds 5 miles to my commute and leaving a place I've worked at for 13 years is straight up loving terrifying.

Of course this is all moot if I don't proceed to interview #3 but my anxiety is through the roof. Just gonna drink until Murphy's Law kicks in. I fear change at a fundamental level.

What's up, Metathesiophobia buddy?
I'm still working for an Indian outsourcer even though I, well, don't hate it, but it's not who I'd prefer to be working for. Mind you, I'm still at the the company I was working for when they outsourced, so there's that.

BloodBag posted:

Bolded: destiny.txt

Bungie had such an amazing track record, it had amazing reviews.... and then they dropped a Cleveland Steamer right on everyone's collective chest. What a loving letdown.

I enjoyed Destiny right up until I discovered that the only way to go beyond level 20 was to grind endlessly for gear with Light, and gently caress that. I don't mind playing a lot or even grinding a little if I earn XP, but gently caress that poo poo where I can only go higher by lucking into special snowflake bullshit, or grinding to get Strange Coins to buy it. Pretty loving annoying when you play solo.
To their credit, they will no longer do this in The Taken King expansion.

Today's Penny Arcade (my hosting):

He's not wrong. I am staying up way too late way too often for this game.

Did anyone else notice that completing the game gets you the Black-on-black back in your garage?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had a recent (2015?) Kia Rio GDI as a rental for the last few days and I kind of liked it. I'd consider a 6 speed manual one for myself.

The 2016 Hyundai Accent (should be same platform/drivetrain as a Rio) I had as a rental was decent with the automatic. Probably would have been just nifty with the 6-speed.

14 INCH DICK posted:

I JUST SAW THE LAST SHOWING ON A MOVIE THAT WAS ONLY IN THEATERS IN SEATTLE FOR ONE loving WEEK AND IT EASILY RIVALS FURY ROAD FOR A MOVIE THAT IS PERFECT IN EVERY loving WAY AND IF ANY OF YOU CHECK YOUR CITIES FOR ANY SHOWS AND THERE HAPPENS TO BE ONE DROP YOUR loving PLANS DROP YOUR PANTS AND PREPARE TO MASTURBATE LIKE YOU'RE PEE WEE HERMAN AT A 24 HOUR ALL YOU CAN SEE BONANZA

alamo Drafthouse here in Dallas has it. Beer, burger, and cheesy movie. They're actually how I heard about it, in their emails. Trailer looks fantastic, like the '80s B-movies distilled.

Negromancer posted:

I don't know how I did not hear about this movie sooner, but it is on Amazon Prime streamin. I know what I am watching tonight.

Sweet!
Still may go see it at the Drafthouse, just because.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dang you guys were bored over the long weekend.

From like a hundred pages back:

some texas redneck posted:

I used to live fairly close to CTC (across town). Wish I'd known about it when I lived in Denton, I'd pay just to be able to walk around the place and check out the cars (and take a camera).

Pick n Pull flipped their poo poo when they checked my bag when I was leaving and found a camera in there. Got a very stern "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED!!!!1!" lecture. Sorry, forgot it was in my bag. v:v:v

The gently caress? Are they not aware of the fact that every phone made since, oh, the '90s has a camera built in?

Enourmo posted:

well step one is to add a water separator

e: and replace the head gaskets, and install head studs...

Unless it's a later model - GM put in water separators and 1/2" head bolts on the later units. Not sure where the division is, so research.
Then add a turbo - there used to be a Banks kit for them, back in the day, and woke them up quite a bit. Still an '80s diesel though.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Not just any diesel... a gasoline engine retrofitted to run on diesel! that's more or less correct, I think? I would say "with predictable results" but it was actually much worse even than that, so the American car-buying public thought of that particular legendary piece of poo poo when they thought of "diesel" and the American diesel passenger car was effectively dead for a few decades after, and even now you have trucks, German stuff, and as of very recently the Chevrolet Cruze and that is absolutely it.

Pretty much. It's based on the gas Olds V8, but the block was significantly beefed up in the bottom end. It's still enough like the gas V8 that it can be used as a basis for a extreme duty small block Olds gas build. Heads bolt on, distributor replaces the injection pump. I think there might be some minor changes that have to be made.

You're dead right on how the GM/Olds diesel affected public opinion though. It was dismal initially, and lackluster when they fixed it.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, they are actually completely different blocks, it was actually a rumor that they were based on gas motors. The issue was that they used their vast knowledge of gas motors in designing the head bolts and the fuel system....which didn't help being a diesel.

yes and no. Completely different insofar that the bottom end was redesigned to be more beefy, but the basic block is an Olds small-block V8. Gas heads bolt on, oil pan, cam, timing parts, water pump, crank, pistons from the gas engine all fit the diesel block. Olds racers use the diesel block for high-horsepower small-block builds.

T1g4h posted:

Finished Mad Max tonight!

Final boss fight was loving stupid, but otherwise the game is super rad. Tomorrow I guess i'll get started on clearing out all the optional side stuff :v:

I'm basically chewing on the side stuff as I go, to make the story stuff easier. Doing maybe 40/60 story/optional, depending on my mood. The game caters to my mild ADD/OCD. I want to do all the things, but get distracted often.

mafoose posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Most of the places I've come across are eerily quiet now. You know what I'd love? Canadian seat belts. Especially since the drivers one gets stuck halfway on the track.

Canadian ones are unmotorized, right, and that's why you love them? They are on the RX-7s.
Supposedly the motorized ones have a lifetime warranty from Mazda. I just replaced the motorized bastards in my '90 RX-7 with early FC static belts (and trim. And headliner.)

leica posted:

I had to google what a scotch egg was, looks.......interesting.

They are pretty tasty, but, yeah, they are far from healthy. I don't hink I could eat more than one a day. They have them at the local Ren Faire every year. Scotch Egg and a nice honey mead = a lovely lunch.

Nodoze posted:

talk about poverty interior

You think that's a poverty interior? You must be young.
Vinyl bench, column-shift, no gauges except speedo and fuel - THAT'S a poverty interior.

The Immortan skull-wheel emblem with a wave toupee hairdo makes this.

Kid chat: my daughter is almost 14, and I have no idea if I'm doing anything right. It doesn't help that she's borderline Aspergers, and I have no clue how to relate to her. Still works out OK - we go see animated movies together, and stuff. She's not interested in most of the stuff I am, so I try to pay attention when she does show interest, and spend some time doing that. Part of it is I'm a goon, and have no idea how to relate to a girl, too. What's really fun is dealing with a kid that inherited her mother's genes and, shall we say, bloomed really early. Kid's 14 and already has D-cups. Having to teach her to fend off the creeps (AKA, all teenage boys...)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, we're doing a Disaster Recovery exercise here at work, or rather, at a Business Continuancy Center.
Started at 8 AM local. It's now 5:30 PM. Nothing has been restored, and there's no domain for my workstations to connect to (I'm the desktop workstation guy on hand.)
I've just got paid to pretty much surf the web all day. I did remote back to the office and work a few tickets, but that's about it. I'll be back tomorrow to see if I have anything to connect to, and then I have Thursday and Friday off for my birthday, after being off Labor Day. I like how this week is shaping up.

Already got a bunch of freebie coupons from the various restaurant rewards clubs, so Th-F are going to be low-cost eat out days.
On the down side (not really, I don't mind), I'm going to be 46. I don't really feel 46. Wasn't I in high school just a few years ago? I keep wondering when I will feel like a responsible adult. This despite the fact that I'm a homeowner of 14 years, have a 13-almost-14 year-old daughter, and have managed to be the only child in my family not to move back home after leaving (they had good reason, and it was brief for both of them, but I can lord that detail over them). I guess I'm not doing too badly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wellllll it was kind of a DSLR. I did wind up getting some artsy shots while I was there.

Yeah, but I mean saying "no cameras" is just silly, given that almost literally every phone is a camera. Not a fantastic one, granted, but plenty good for taking pictures of whatever they are paranoid about you taking pictures of. Seriously, what does a fracking wrecking yard have to not take pictures of?

quote:

Honda/Acura also had a lifetime seat belt warranty around that time, but the dealers always try to get out of it by saying it's just on the belt (even though the warranty states it covers the entire power mechanism). Usually takes a call to Honda US to get it taken care of.

Mazda's not much different, from what I hear.

quote:

Soooo would you call the disaster recovery exercise a disaster? :v:

Not yet. The purpose of an exercise is to find out what will go wrong BEFORE the actual disaster, so if they capture and fix the problems, it's a success. IF they do that.
That said, the domain was up today, I just had to track down a network guy to get all the IP info to give the machines a static IP and DNS server, etc. My part is basically don. I got a free lunch both days, and my afternoon should be quiet.
I don't get why the other guys don't volunteer to go.

CommieGIR posted:

Ahahahahaha, I love when this poo poo happens and there's no actual contingencies in place.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's why it's Disaster Recovery, not Everything's Fine Do Nothing.

This, basically, only Disaster Recovery EXERCISE. As in, practice, then figure out how to do better, in theory.
A real disaster recovery would be... interesting. A lot more pressure, and more hands-on-deck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

literally a fish posted:

I did the thing
I bought a twin turbo subaru with a spun rod bearing
I will make my avatar proud

the tow vehicle didn't appreciate all this weight... poor 4Runner. I am sorry.

Now to bring in 1/2 of a twin turbo subaru from Japan and mix batter until smooth.

You've got the car way too far forward, particularly for a nose-heavy Scooby.Scootch it back so that the weight of the car is centered on the trailer's axles (I'd say about with the rear edge of the front tire at the front edge of the trailer's fenders), and that will reduce the tongue weight, making the truck a lot happier (and a lot less squirrelly. You're drat near picking the front wheels up off the ground there.)

Negromancer posted:

Welcome to the tech industry. I am about to start a job that the only offices are in San Francisco and Moscow, but I will be living/working in Seattle. One of my old bosses lived in Spain, Denmark and Columbia while we were working for a Seattle based company. Its pretty awesome and terrible depending on whats happening at work. The downside of being able to work anywhere is that a lot of jobs will expect you to work anywhere/anytime.

on a AI note, the future wife has given me the go ahead to buy a second car for around $15k, only thing is it has to be modern and relatively safe, so no aw11 mr2. At this point I am leaning towards a e39 540i 6spd or an e46 zhp for the responsible type of car, or a s2000 for the fun side. 540i probably makes the most sense from an insurance aspect, but a bit big for my liking. Time to go test drive some cars....

The downside of being able to work anywhere is that your job will be outsourced to anywhere cheaper.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Some basic disaster preparedness could have been put in place, backup domain controllers, etc. You don't have to simulate a full on nothing works disaster to test disaster recovery.

My disaster recovery was pulling the network cable on the primary domain controller. Backup took over like a charm. Zero downtime. Then a week later, I did it to the backup.

This is an exercise for "a meteor fell on the IS building and/or all of Dallas Ft. Worth is under 6' of water", i.e. total failure of the (single, only) IT facility.
Network failures and power outages are tested monthly or so, as I recall. I'm Workstation, so I don't get to play with those. We're nationwide, but not really a very large company. About 15K employees.

Galler posted:

Losing a domain controller counts as a disaster recovery situation where you work? Wow. I sometimes forget the difference in scale between various organizations. We have hundreds of domain controllers so losing one is barely even worth reporting. Our regional data centers are high availability between themselves so losing one isn't even that bad. We have to lose two data centers in the same region to start the DR process.

Yeah, we've got just the one. We've pretty much just gotten big enough for the company to really take IT seriously. It's tough for a 100+ year old retail company to take this new-fangled electronic stuff seriously.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

I reject your pavement and substitute my own.

This made me smile.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

literally a fish posted:

It was significantly further back initially, which was much better, then during the drive back elected to move itself forward after my co-driver's lovely knots at the rear came loose. The bumper ran into the winch box :( good thing I'm getting a new bumper anyway.

The pic was taken at our destination, and yeah, it was squirrely as gently caress. Made it, though. Should I just have been a normal sane and rational human being and paid for a flatbed truck to transport it for me? Probably! But we made it, and saved a couple hundred bucks in the process, so I'm OK with this.

Knots?! Oh, hell no. Ratcheting straps made for the job, son. Or chains with tensioners. Nothing else, ever. And now you know why.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geeze, I take a break for a few days and you guys post all up in here.

mafoose posted:

Got a link or anything that says this? All I can find is something saying 25 years, which is up in 2 months...

I would love the Canadian static belts.

No, I don't. It very well may be 25 years.

Brigdh posted:

In the US market, the S4 FCs had static belts, the S5s had the motorized ones. The S4 belts are a straight swap into a S5 chassis. You should be able to find the S4 belts at a local junkyard.

Also get the A-pillar trim, the B-pillar trim 9upper and lower), and the headliner. And you will need to use a spot-weld drill to remove a bunch of welded on mounting tabs for the Series 5 trim.
Been there, done that, still looking for a burgundy sunroof S4 headliner.

quote:

As far as the warranty, its for the life of the vehicle. See the official letter linked here: http://fc3spro.com/TECH/PROBLEMS/INT/sbelt.htm
You may need to argue it with the dealership through. They'll probably look up your VIN, tell you the recall was done, and say that recalls are only done once so you are screwed. You'll have to point out the lines at the bottom of the letter saying that the motor, etc are warrantied for life. I was lucky to be able to convince them without needing to call MNAO. I think it took 4 weeks for the parts to come in.

Well, there ya go.

I'd still consider that a fail, personally. Disaster or not, there should be something handling DHCP. Having to run around to every workstation in an actual disaster event to manually enter IPs and DNS is just a lot of extra work, adds another layer for human error, and hinders productivity (even more than the disaster itself, if the site is close enough that your staff can show up within an hour or two).

I assume this was a cold site that was being tested, not warm or hot, right? :ohdear: I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat; every company needs to test their disaster recovery plans regularly, and it sounds like you found some flaws with the plans your employer has in a practice run, instead of the real thing, which is good.

<snip>

:cripes: One domain controller for 15k employees? No backup controller?

I mean, I'm familiar with your employer (and definitely their reluctance to change), but I'm kinda amazed they've made it this long without something ugly happening. :stare: I've worked in places with 150 employees that had a backup DC.

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking there - we definitely have multiple DCs. One for every facility, at the very least, and multiples at the IS location. I assume that they do failover testing for the production DCs more often.
And yeah, cold site, restore from scratch. I'm thinking that DHCP was left out simply because there were only going to be 20 end-user devices connected at most, so it wasn't in scope for this test. We're basically just working on the back-end recovery, and enough PCs for end-user testing of said back end. Keep in mind I'm just a desktop guy, so I don't have a deep involvement in anything beyond the PC on that desk, there.

Powershift posted:

god drat, the mad max game is janky as poo poo and slow as balls. it's like the creators have never played a video game or seen the movie.

Really? Seems to work fine on the XBone. Stutters occasionally from something going on in the background, but not very often. I'm enjoying the gameplay.

Powershift posted:

Yeah but all the on foot stuff is slow as hell and it keeps forcing you to get out of the car, and climbing ladders only works half the time and there's more bullshit talking in the first 5 minutes of the game than there is in the entire movie.

and there is no flow, it cuts to black to show you an animation of you getting water FFS. you have to hold the buttons to do any action instead of just pressing them for whatever reason. and all the upgrades are locked behind 3 different levels of bullshit.

I don't mind the out-of-car combat/quest stuff. Ladders work fine on XBone, can't speak for PC or whatever. Agree on the cut to the "do stuff" animations. It also resets the camera, so you have to look around before moving, since your usually not looking where you were. that, and some glitches here and there with respect to pick-up item/action labels. Sometimes some weirdness with collision detection where poo poo will just go shooting off at high speed in a random direction, but most games seem to have that now and then.

e: what in the gently caress happened in here on Thursday?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

For anyone who hasn't felt the desire to punch their monitor today:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13713677.Joys_of_pootling_along_in_the_car/?ref=mr&lp=4

"Comments are closed on this article". Yeah, I bet they are. Can't be arsed to hear about how much of a oval office you are.
"You don't get boy racers in a Fiat 500." WHAT.

I bet if the guy had scratched a pair of Ferragamo shoes you would have lost your poo poo.

Why is it impressive or desirable to show off your wealth buying shoes with a fancy name and Italian leather when you can't walk any further in them?

Surely a lady confident in her lady credentials would be happy in a pair of Converse, walking comfortably down the street, winking at the men going by as she shows how sensible she is by not wearing ostentatious, useless shoes.

The level of fancy of the shoe is in direct proportion to the level of morality of the wearer. You don't get haughty bitches in sneakers.

Ostentatious shoes worn selfishly by the unthinking are a accessorized symbol of all that's wrong with this wealth divided world. And don't get me started on Ugg boots in the city.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Still playing catchup.

Tusen Takk posted:

Dont post in FYAD

I shouldn't admin that I think I know who that character is, should I?

Adiabatic posted:

My sister is up to at least $50k for a wedding with 150 people. Her dress alone was $8k I think. It's this weekend, and everyone's super stressed out and I'm just eating popcorn from the sidelines.

But it's worth it - it a once-in-a-lifetime thing! (because you'll be paying it off the rest of your life and won't be able to afford anything else...)

Rhyno posted:

Nope. Born and bread in a hillbilly town in Indiana.

Oh, well South Africa is a step up then.

Elmnt80 posted:

Help, the people at the table next to me are bitching about basic algebra, converting metric and chemistry classes in high schools. I can't think of a day (that I do something other than sit around in my boxers) where I don't wind up using something related to at least one of those things. :|

No poo poo. I use most of the stuff I learned about in school, maybe not every day, but often enough. I suppose I don't use Calculus and Diff. Eq. too much, but that's because I failed to finish my engineering degree. Most of the math and science comes in handy fo the stuff I work and play with. But I'm a nerd, so whatever.

Geoj posted:

Yeah, we figured it was just for family of the bride & groom, but then when we went to dinner at the restaurant across the parking lot from the hotel and ran into his parents, sister & family it all clicked.

Never got a thank you letter in the mail for the $200 worth of wedding presents either. But as a consolation prize a mutual friend and I both got death threat letters (not even joking, she literally wrote "if I ever see you again I will cut you like a pig and gut you like a fish") in the mail from his bitch wife about two months later because we "ruined her wedding" by asking the wedding planner if we could do a toast at the 45 minute long church social hour that everyone was allowed to attend immediately following the ceremony. Didn't actually do it - we just asked and accepted the "no, that's not in the plans" answer and apparently the wedding planner was a close friend of the family and was greatly offended that we would even ask.

Wow. Just... wow. I'd have sent a copy of that back to the groom, myself. What a winner he picked.

When a $35 consumer-grade router can handle DHCP for 20 devices (we have about that many in the house), and an enterprise DC can't, you have issues. :colbert: Good thing it was a test.

I'm not a network guy, and not involved in that part of the system or test, so I really can't comment. I also don't hold a very high opinion of our network team, either, but that's beside the point (maybe.)

I've never dated anyone - male or female (and I've had more girlfriends than the average gay guy [3]) - that wouldn't wear sneakers.

If you're not comfortable in Chucks, a t-shirt, and shorts, you're too haughty for me - guy or girl. I absolutely refuse to date anyone who considers "dress shirt" to be worn outside of work.

(probably explains why I'm forever alone, but I'm most comfortable in a tank top and shorts, coupled with either sandals or skate shoes)

It was a parody of the text in the article, but yeah, people that wear dress shirts and nice, expensive shoes all the time are too uptight for me. Gotta wear sneaks or work boots sometime... unless you're down to get your fancy clothes diirty while working on stuff or doing yardwork.

mariooncrack posted:

I think he tried to sell the car. I'm pretty sure someone find the link to his reddit thread and he stopped posting on it too.

Found his reddit thread :

https://www.reddit.com/r/300zx/comments/2vjr2p/whyyyyy_a_story_of_an_awesome_300zx_crippled_by/

i love the fact that the highest upvoted comment is Kastein.

I kind of wish someone with a little skill and motivation would get hold of that Z31, though, it's not hopeless, and looks pretty good.

edit:

MustardFacial posted:

You guys mailed him tools?!? How do I get in on this free tool scam?

I have an automatic Nissan Frontier.

I cannot drive automatic.

Please send me a Snap-On YA180 Brake Lathe.

This is brilliant!
Wish I'd have thought of it.
Um... I have a little rust on my Cutlass. Can someone mail me a MIG welder? And some sheet steel, maybe? Oh, it won't shift out of first, so maybe a 200-4R, or a 5-speed conversion, too, please. Thanks!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 15, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

I switched to a UniFi AP, connected to whatever flavor of gigabit router with DD-WRT installed with the stock WiFi radio disabled. Haven't had any issues, and disabling the onboard WiFi on the router greatly reduces heat and increases stability. The UniFi AP is rock-loving-solid and has an excellent range, too.

I think I'm going to get one of those myself. heard good things from here and elsewhere. I also like that you can park it wherever there's an Ethernet jack, thanks to the POE.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

if you do the punishment is buying me a new avatar :)

I'm don't feel like I'm near witty enough to buy anyone else an avatar. you'll get a gay Apple or something. Oh, wait, Apple already did the rainbow thing before it was a thing...

Geirskogul posted:

Oh god I finally clicked on the view post thing and this is amazing. MBR.

You mean you weren't seeing his avatar? Mobile, I guess?
And if you mean a certain lagomorph artist, yes, that's one of his characters.

e: also: trap sprung - furry spotted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

The one i got has no bluetooth, only wifi, which is annoying as poo poo because as long as wifi is connected to it you got not internet. Although it is nice because it connects to my old first gen ipad. it also works well with scanXL even though manufacturer specific modules are expensive as hell. one cleared abs or TCS light pays for itself.

also, if you hit the "test results" screen it kills the powerstroke. some test most ODB readers send kills the powerstroke.

It's a shame, because torque pro has powerstroke specific PIDs like trans slip and exhaust backpressure, but i'm paranoid about leaving it in in case it tries something goofy and shuts me down on the highway.

On the internet thing, there's a way around that by manually setting gateway settings for the WiFi connection to the dongle to 0.0.0.0.
Works on my iPhone.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

keykey posted:

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard

So much half-understood information, and outright lack of knowledge. He's like a cargo cult...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tommychu posted:

I've met people that don't acknowledge the mk1's existence or lump it together with the mk2 because they look pretty similar (at least in comparison to the mk3)

Wow. Even the Mk1, while technically a Celica, is significantly different forward of the doors (it's stretched to fit the 6, for anyone who doesn't know.)

Enourmo posted:

So the shop called back about my car, apparently pcm isn't getting signal from the maf even with a good part in place

And now I think I'm an idiot because I have an air/fuel controller installed which intercepts and modifies the MAF signal, and I'll bet money that one of those connectors worked loose (they're the clamp-on spade type that cut through the insulation, which came with it; blame the idiot PO past me that installed them). I'll pick the car up tonight and poke around at it tomorrow, if that's what it ends up being... :negative:

Oh, God, those things are the bane of all auto electronics installers' existence. They're temporary, whether you want them to be or not.

meatpimp posted:

I left my wallet in El Segundo.

I rather liked El Segundo and environs. I dunno if I lucked into 2 weeks of awesome weather, or f it's like that all the time, but it was nice, compared to TX this time of year.

nm posted:

We'll keep enjoying our rust free 40 year old cars.

Same here.

Stuck at work after hours because I started PC replacement - and the mother fucker has over 100 GB of little tiny files (developer dweeb) that are going to take hours to copy, even though I've go both dives internal on thew (3 GB) SATA, and the destination drive is an SSD. The other one has almost as many files.
FML. I haven't gotten out before 7 PM all week...

e: at least I have access to my computer from here. Time to catch up on the forums...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geeze, this poo poo with an Irving, TX high school having a kid, who just happens to be Islamic, arrested because he brought a DIY digital clock to school, is making me embarrassed to be a Texan. Everybody, from the teacher, to the Principal, to the cops, played this the stupidest, most Islamophobic way possible. Holy gently caress, what a poo poo-storm.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Were you not ashamed of being from texas already? At least you aren't Florida Man, I guess.

Or Indiana, apparently.
There's a lot I like about the state, honestly. Seems like every place has something that makes it poo poo - you just have to choose what you can tolerate. At this point, I'm thinking I'd like somewhere with first-world health care, decent roads, and a good education system. Unfortunately, looks like that's not going to be the USA. Canada's too cold and rusty, the UK is rusty and has some truly restrictive auto laws, and I don't speak anything other than English. Oz, maybe, but they've got a lot of the UK's attitude on cars vis-a-vis modifications, and probably won't let me stay anyway...

Geoj posted:

How long have you been living there? If its more than a month you really shouldn't be surprised.

Somehow, I have a seemingly bottomless capability to be surprised at how truly stupid people can be. It's like a sort of weird eternal optimism, where I keep thinking maybe this time they won't be complete morons, or batshit insane, but nope, and I'm somehow surprised again. I know I shouldn't be. After 46 years, you'd think it would have been beaten out of me, but nope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

gently caress it. I just decided to clone these fuckers' hard drives rather than let Windows dawdle about copying. They just wanted to move to an SSD anyway - there was nothing wrong with their machines. I'll just rename them to the new PC ID after the fact. Ghost says two hours, which is faster than the 3 hours Windows was estimating for just a part of the data.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm really surprised that someone hasn't done this before, though I really expected it to be an aftermarket tuner, not a major manufacturer. I've envisioned for a number of years a black box that has an OB2 intercept connector and just tells the emissions machine what it wants to hear.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yay, got a 2nd interview tomorrow morning with the company I interviewed with last Friday. They called all my references today as well. Face is shaved, suit is clean. Ready to go.

Also #newenglandai is better than most of this forum.

From what others have said, AI in general is better than the rest of SA...

GASCHAT

... if you have a gas hookup at home, your grill should be hooked up to it. As Hank says, taste the meat, not the heat. :quagmire:

There was a mounted grill in my back yard, and a gas line running down the wall from the soffit, but it's not connected in the attic. I assume it was supposed to run to the gas line where the stove and water heater connect. The line is still there - maybe I should get someone to hook that up for me again, and run a line to my propane grill. Do any mods have to be made to the grill? Orifices or something? I know propane != natural gas, necessarily.

quote:

So uh..

Certified letters from the IRS are always good news, right? :stare: Best part is our mailman just left it in the mailbox instead of getting a signature. I thought certified mail always needed a signature?

That's the way I understand it. If it's bad news, just ignore it and claim it was never delivered (not really. You should take care of the problem if there is one, but legally, you should be covered. IANAL, though.)

Thank gently caress I can honestly say no to that.

... they're just threatening to seize my assets over the $180 I still owe them.

I set up a payment plan a few months ago with them. :shepicide: I don't have any assets beyond a nearly 5 year old homebuilt PC, a bed, a couch, and some clothes... bank technically still owns my car. Go uh, good luck with that I guess?

Ah.
Yeah, that'll make a dent in the deficit.

Ferremit posted:

God drat that hurt to fill up...

No poo poo. I mean, over $4 for coffee? :v:

meatpimp posted:

I cleaned my workbench today, for the first time in WAY too long. In doing so, I found some things that I had forgotten about.

In the late-80s, a car rag, I thing it was Road & Track had a picture of a guy cruising in a 2-seater convertible bus. I want that vehicle:

In my mind, there's a tremendous cargo box in the front, like a giant reverse ute.

Nodoze posted:

Why are you paying 4 bucks for a coffee

Dammit, beaten.

ilkhan posted:

C&C this morning. Saw an original owner '95 300ZX TT.

Upgraded turbos, IC, and all the piping and IM was chromed. Red, paint in amazing shape for being 20 years old (some swirls but to be expected). JDM tail lights, etc.
Thing was SUPER clean. I was impressed.

That is all.

My former boss at work has a red '96 (I believe). He's put a little work in it. Nice wide staggered wheels and tires, nice stereo, vented front panel and some reliability mods. Brembo brakes and a nice, throaty exhaust. He says the turbos are ingesting a bit of oil, so is planning to have his mechanic pull the engine and do a reseal on everything while it's out, fix the knock sensor that's impossible to get to with the engine in, stuff like that. I like that he usually drives it to work once or twice a week.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Deal with that loving avatar.

Personally, I like the cartoon boobs, but I am admittedly a child inside.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

I'm imagining it having a row of those flip-up cargo doors on the other side from the original bus. Seems practical.

Yes. This exactly.

Tommychu posted:

I had parts of 17 models from 5 different makes in my Festiva by the time I was done.
(not trying to one up you, your build is way more awesome, but frankencars are fun)

Yes, they are. There's a reason my '79 RX-7 in known as FrankenRex.
It's a '79 chassis, but '84 suspension and brakes, '81, then '80 engine. '84 transmission. '84 seats. '81-5 power mirrors, and I don't know what all minor parts and such. Hopefully, it will have a later model engine soon. Probably later-model doors for the power windows. Whatever else happens to fit...

Raluek posted:

Speaking of rat and VW, what happened to that beetle with a fake gun turret and no front brakes?

I loved the articulated skeleton-arm turn indicator on that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

blk posted:

Those of you with more cars than garage space - how do you determine which cars go in the garage? Just had a...discussion with the wife about this and am curious how other people do it.

My wife wants to park her car in the garage, but between the broken car on one side, and the large tools (engine crane, engine stand) and leftover furniture and stuff, that's not happened. It was worse. I built a 10x20 shed and moved a lot of stuff out there, then built custom shelves on one side. Need to get rid of the furniture, sell the broken RX-7, then build shelves I that side, and the. She might be able to park (and I may be able to work on stuff in the garage rather than the sloped-just-enough-to-be-dangerous driveway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

I have not your father's root beer in the fridge and its taking so much willpower to not drink it all now instead of by myself this weekend

Tried one of those and another brand of hard root beer at a room party at the con I was at last weekend (shut up, I'm a nerd - deal with it.) Mighty tasty. I didn't even know those were a thing. I hate bitter, so more than a little hops makes most beers unpleasant. I've been aiming toward ciders lately. Now I've got another choice.

• Locked thread