Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

leica posted:

They've gotta do something while they're at work :v:

This is only half a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Can anyone try to make me an animated avatar from about 3:22 or so, the focus on the Bartender going "b-b-b-b"

It's for an idea I have.

https://youtu.be/r4OhIU-PmB8

?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
My memory may be betraying me, but: At some point there was a video posted in here of goons (maybe, AI goons?) riding around in some guy's truck in the backwoods on a gravel/dirt road. The camera is grainy, bouncing all around, too many people are stuffed into this thing, and the driver loses control. Shortly before impact, one of the passengers screeches "TREEEEEEEEEE"", and then BOOM.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just ate some fully dressed chips. Super weird.

What the gently caress are fully dressed chips? Do they have little tuxedos on them?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MrChips posted:

It's me; I am fully dressed chips.

At least for now :mmmhmm:

d-d-Dad?! I thought you died years ago?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I personally am still using my N5; I say if I can't swipe across the entire width of my phone with my thumb while holding it, it's too big. That rules out the N6, and in fact the OnePlus One I got for work is too large. I'm waiting to see what the new N5 is going to look like.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Galler posted:

...Certainly a lot of people do really enjoy being parents and raising kids so if you want them and have a plan on how to pay for them and raise them then go for it...

This weekend, a woman I am friends with on Facebook through an old workplace posted a video, with a comment supporting the video. this ex-coworker had a child very young. The video was some random woman ranting against the #TeamNoKids tag/movement/microculture on Twitter/FB/etc. It was titled "For everyone who posts stupid ‪#‎TeamNoKids‬ posts." The video was her, with her toddler, haughtily and bitchily saying that people shouldn't act like their lives are better because they have no children, and that having children is the "most fulfilling" and "best experience" in life.

I posted, "FYI for people who don't wanna have kids, having kids is the worst thing ever. For people who wanna have kids, it's great. This bitch wants to not let other people have an opinion."

This, of course, evolved into a shitstorm of had-kids-young people crapping on me because they're unable to admit that getting pregnant at 19 ruined the best years of their lives with awful, soul-crushing responsibilities. Good times. I really loving hate the pro-children culture in the US.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've got some poo poo to think about.

IMHO try getting adopting an adult dog and keeping it for a year before you decide if you want to have kids. Make sure you take it to the vets at all the recommended intervals. Also, you're not allowed to crate it, and you have to take it on walks for all restroom times. That'll give you a 1/10th view of what it's like to have a kid.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mooseykins posted:

So if you have kids and then don't want them, can you then rescue a pitbull and it will eat them?

Might be a solution.
My take on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2miS0CBJs

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mooseykins posted:

I think i'm a littler under qualified for that.

I can just about operate a microwave.

Also, how does that work? Do you not have meetings and stuff to actually go to? You just have to do "work" and it can be done any time and anywhere so long as it's done within the given deadlines?

If i could do that i'd seriously just find a small place in the French Alps and loving vanish.

It depends on the company. My company has (IIRC) around 40% of the work force "at" our NC campus actually working from home on any given day. In fact, if everyone came in we'd be short by a very large number of desks. You're expected to work whatever your hours are, be available to people via IM, e-mail, phone, and text during business hours, and lots of meetings have someone teleconferencing - all of our work desktops are actually laptops, with integrated web cameras and microphones.

One of my fellow IT people just bought a house 6 hours away in another state, yet he still works "at" our location. He just went to his manager and got OK'd to telework 100% of the time; he'll come in during the quarterly big meetings. One of the managers in a sister office is prepping to move from NoVA to Florida; he's got his private pilot's license and a small plane, and he's going to fly himself up every other week. I know of another guy who lives on a horse ranch in Massachusetts or Vermont or something. Yes, it does enable a totally unstandard lifestyle, but it's company culture here and people definitely don't have issues with it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ferremit posted:

Welcome to my day... This has been going on, practically non stop, since 9am. Stupids in the cage because hes got a broken leg and refuses to NOT run around relentlessly chasing the other cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_cBgIDnuA

Hell is real, and its got cats in cages in it...

That is every day of my cat-life, and without them in cages. I got a talkative gently caress, my girlfriend has a talkative gently caress, put 'em together and we've got no peace and quiet whatsoever. It is the second-worst aspect of my cat ownership experience.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CharlesM posted:

I love noisy kitties :)

But you wouldn't want to own one.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

How many types of rakes are there in the world? If someone says 'rake' to me I instantly assume a garden rake, which is used to rake leaves.

I imagined , but there's the type of rakes used to rake garden/dirt (bow rake), with stiff metal tines like so: . There's also a hay rake, which is a farming implement, rake as it refers to a group of train cars, and the the literary archetype of the rake - usually a male character of charm but dubious morals.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, also a bird.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

Rakechat.

I've actually learned something today so thank you.

No problem, dude. I read the dictionary too much as a kid.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

You forgot rake as an indicator of angle that a mast is stepped - i.e. the rake of the masts on a sail boat.

TBH I left it out on purpose as it's not something you could get raped with. It refers to any number of things with an angle off that of vertical or horizontal, like the rake of a motorcycle's front fork, or the difference in height-from-pavement of a hotrodder's chassis. You could definitely get raped using a bird.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 11, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

You're the only giant chode here.

Ya know, when I was in high school "chode" referred to a dick that was at least as wide as it was long. Now it's AKA the taint? What has the world come to?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CommieGIR posted:

Its like a CL ad from hell! :stare:

Important part to note: It's got FIVE HUNNERT horsepower.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

beam trolling, otter trolling, side-by-side trolling, outrigger trolling, stern trolling...

outrigger trolling is a gay sex move

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ferremit posted:

Hahahaha. You should try what we have here. Lovely thing called Medicare, and theres an annual levy on EVERYONE who earns more than $26,000 a year (20-26K its part payment, 20K or less its nill payment) thats 2% of your taxable income

Theres a compulsory payment if you earn more than $90k a year and if you dont have private health insurance.

So your options are- Pay $$$$ a month for private health insurance, or pay 2.0% of your income at tax time as a levy (unless you earn over $90K, then you pay 2% regardless of whether you have insurance or not)

so my $58K a year would cost me around $1200 in medicare levy (its a bit less because of tax free thresholds and other shenanigans) OR I can spend about the same on health insurance and get things like optical and dental part paid out too.

HOWEVER

It means that ANYONE in Australia can stagger into an ER or a hospital and be treated, for however long and for whatever disease or illness, without cost to themselves. Thats worth everyone putting in a little bit.

We have this lovely group of health insurance things here - Medicare, Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance Program, and ACA/Obamacare market "subsidies" - that accounts for 24% of our national budget every year. Since our income taxes are progressive, the % of your income you pay into it increases as you have higher taxable income. I pay about 6.7% of my yearly income into them. There's a fine if you make any amount of money and don't have healthcare insurance, either through the marketplace or your employer, of 2% of your yearly income OR $325/mo/person, whichever amount is higher - although the $325/mo/person is capped at under $1000.

So I cannot choose not to pay in excess of $6700 a year into those programs. If I was to buy insurance comparable to what I have through my employer through the marketplace, I'd be paying about $280/month over what I pay now. That's a total cost of $8700/year if I have no insurance, over $11,300/year if I purchase insurance through the marketplace, or $7950/year if I get insurance through my employer. PLUS I still have copays and OOP expenses for some procedures, if insured.

HOWEVER

It means that ANYONE in the USA can stagger into an ER and be treated, for however long and for whatever disease or illness, and have the hospital come after them for every penny they earn for the next 7 years. There are reasons people don't like ACA, and it's not all because "The GUBBMENT is gonna send Gramma to a death camp" or "Don't Tread On Me, It's my RIGHT to spend my dollars on what I want, and it's against my religion to pay for abortions!".

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 12, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

Agreed, but my engine gets noticeably fewer spurious misfires at idle with it than without. Google "118i ruckeln" for all the fun info. I haven't been able to find a solution, but I'd love to hear about one.

I was kind of surprised at reading all on that, as V-Power in the USA is just the equivalent of high-test, with the same octane ratings as any other brand's "premium" offering. IIRC it was tested independently to have more cleaners in the mix than any other brand.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fjelltorsk posted:

Grats on the new job

this webclient for irc kinda sucks. but i am too dumb to get limewire to work

...limewire? Why aren't you just using mIRC or something?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fjelltorsk posted:

because mac i guess?

http://colloquy.info/

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

Who do you think leaked the story? :bigtran:

Sadly because 'average intelligence' is a thing, a lot of people fall below it. And these people can vote, and drive cars and breed.

Technically speaking, yeah, 49.9...% of people fall below average intelligence.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KozmoNaut posted:

I just bought this bundle of games on Steam, but I had some of them already:

Carmageddon 2: Q(nine)IAA-HMDXC-XH34L
Apogee throwback pack (ROTT+Blake Stone): T(four)NHE-GMF7N-BMEGL
Wizardry 6+7: TMA(two)8-AVT6B-YI0XG

Have at it!

I took your Wizardry, thanks.

EDIT: You know what, let's play it forward. I have gift copies of the following games: Grav, Magicite, who wants?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 21, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

3 more weeks until I can blaze again. Counting down the hours.

You have a problem, FYI.

Tusen Takk posted:

imo access to all forms of education is a human right and should be free up to a bachelor's degree, then be very cheap after that

How would you do that?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tusen Takk posted:

by taxing the ever-loving poo poo out of the rich, both corporation and individual alike

if you need proof of concept, please see Norway, Denmark, etc.

Norway, Denmark, (AKA "the Nordic Countries"), etc. don't tax the ever-loving poo poo out of the rich, they tax the ever-loving poo poo out of everyone except the poor. That's why a $35K vehicle in the US costs $100K over there.

Phone posted:

Take a page out of Germany's book.

I know that you'll rat me out to the appropriate LAN threads, but also end collegiate sports.

Huh, what? Are you confusing me with SiGmA_X? 'cause gently caress collegiate sports, burn 'em to the ground. Also I don't go into LAN threads to the point that I don't know what LAN is. Is that Sports Argument Stadium's replacement?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 23, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: Whoops, forgot, let's not have D&D in the AI chat thread.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CommieGIR posted:

Because the alternative was better.

I say, let's have as much AI chat in D&D threads as possible.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ what the FUCKhappened overnight????

Chill the gently caress out everyone and watch WRC. I'm doing that at work because this Exchange 2013 server would make me commit suicide otherwise..... what a complete fuckup this version of Exchange truly is. No MMC console? Web based????? Who was the moron that thought this was a good idea?

I am not primarily a Windows guy; I know just enough to be dangerous. But what I DO know is that Exchange 2013 is a horrible, flaming piece of dogshit that hit RTM months before it was actually a viable piece of software, to the point of it just straight not working, corrupting its own database, and causing nightly crashes being considered "normal issues" with the first several Cumulative Updates. It wasn't until CU7 that it could even be considered stable, and even so, there continue to be major issues such with its functionality and stability. I am the biggest idiot of the loving planet for deciding "Hmm, we hardly ever change major version of software in this standalone environment, now we have the funding and man-hours to do so, LET'S GET THE LATEST VERSION OF EXCHANGE SO WE'RE FUTURE-PROOF".

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

IT chat is politics chat. Here, let me prove it.

VI or EMACS. GO!

Or I could really get a politics shitstorm going with "Hey guys I love SystemD!!! What about you?????"

Well poo poo doing a prepareAD with Exch2007 worked. Exch2013 is now installing. WTF.
Nobody other than crusty old 50+ y/o programmers use emacs anymore. Well, them, or their students.

I implore, no, direct you, to only do your Exch2013 install via the CU8+ installer, or you are going to be spending a lot of time at work this evening.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of you angry fuckers are setting an at least three-year record for reports / poo poo posting in AI today (and I'm too lazy to go through the ancient reports sent to our lord and savior Sigtrap, assuming ones that old still even exist). Let off some loving steam already.

What if I'm straight? Can I do a skid chick?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

14 INCH DICK posted:

Technically Die CIS scum applies to a select portion of automotive repair unchanged

Any VW enthusiast who's still using K-Jetronic already has a big enough cross to bear, don't throw that poo poo on them too.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CommieGIR posted:

But platinum is used in standard catalytic converters as well....

The previous post by forums user Powershift represents only Powershift's opinion, and in no way is intended to imply or constitute the opinion of any other person, company, or entity. Powershift's opinion may not be supported by any proof, and Powershift's opinion is not valid for use as a fact in any of the 50 states. The use of Powershift's opinion as a reference source is not legally valid in Utah, Connecticut, Nevada, Texas, and Nebraska. Powershift's opinion is known by the state of California to cause cancer. And remember, please fact-check responsibly. This message brought to you by the Powershift legal defense team, and by the Coalition For Responsible Posting.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

As someone who's never seen a supercomputer before, this owns and makes me want to learn about them. Also those mural-cover-things are delightful!

Cray has been doing wierdo furniture/art computers for as long as they've been around. For example, the Cray-1 and XMP was built with a couch attached to the side of each half-tower, the Cray-2 had plexi sides and illumination so you could see the memory boards, the Cray-3 got a plexi, liquid-filled box on the top...the YMP8 got more couches. They had a few "boring" systems, especially during the SG era, but they're their own company again and getting back into the display stuff.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

...Can't remember what system it was but one of the older ones was offered in Porsche colors using Porsche paint. All painted by a little Mom & Pop shop in Chippewa Falls, W...

I worked as a contractor to SGI for a while, helped develop the software environment of and then on-site support'd some equipment they sold. Lot of folks nowadays don't even know who they are, but both Cray and SGI are still up to some really interesting things. In my opinion, it's really difficult to split development of HPC systems between "completely custom" like back in the 70s/80s and "modularized generic" like the Beowulf cluster caused the advent of.Anyone who's spending several million bucks on a system generally wants SOME customization, and when you (as a supercomputer company) start saying "no", they get upset. Conversely, the more customization, the less economies of scale you get.

mariooncrack posted:

So what are those super computers used for? Mastering chess?

I know I'm the third of fourth person to answer, but the "simulations" answer is correct although generic. Computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, genome sequencing, multibody dynamics, data analytics and visualization, even real-time streaming. The USPS uses a HPC system to solve the traveling salesman problem for their deliveries worldwide. Modeling the airflow of an entire vehicle, for example finding out how to design a human-powered helicopter. Models of entire weather systems, hurricanes. Finding vibrational modes of entire rocket assemblies, with each bolt and nut modeled as a separate object with separate density. the NFL uses a HPC system for those bet-you-didn't-know-it-was-so-complicated NRT video overlays. You know, complex things.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 24, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: Whoops. Did not mean to post twice.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

...That's six of these running at max output...

A particular government three-letter is the largest consumer of power in Maryland*. In 2007, it used 65-75 megawatt-hours and was expected to increase by 10-15 megawatt-hours in the next year, according to BGE (now Constellation Energy)*. HPC is a really big energy sink, both for the systems, and for the cooling facilities to deal with all the heat.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

I feel like there's something to read between the lines of your post, corn. Is anything the matter? Care to share? We're here to help :sun:

the long con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

...And it just keeps loving going. Not one of these idiots seems to realise that it's literally a slapfight over something that in the end has exactly zero importance in the realworld...

Ahhh, but that's where you're wrong. These slapfights are resulting in public opinion drives that cause policy to be made at the highest levels of the US government. Not Gamergate specifically, but those types of dramatized, media-hyped shouting matches.

• Locked thread