Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

gently caress this fake September thread started in August. Get in line, Adiabatic. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

You okay, buddy? Wanna talk about it?

Oh you think you're all funny and beer-y with your beer avatar. Cheater.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What idiot lives in such a backwards shithole that it's not September?

Hi! :wave:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hi, September thread. Nice title, Adiabatic. (you're still a cheater)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

I'll be sure to let you make October, bud. Sorry for triggering your autism!

September should be a pretty good month. Ezoo is next weekend! Anyone going?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it ticks over 12am 1st anywhere in the world, a new thread is fair game.

Either that or start creating effort OP's and earn the thread.

Autism recognizes autism and not jokes, apparently.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

REG DATE BRO

Lol, it was even a :regd05: chest pounding about reg date.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I almost piped up but you know he would've been "I WAS READING SA BEFORE I REGGED."

So were we all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geirskogul posted:

Speaking of peeps what happened to West Saab Story: Kindle Edition?

He keeps rolling through alts, he's "twofire" or something now... still posting 50 posts per day (no exaggeration).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slow is Fast posted:

The only people complaining about the prestigious misc chat thread opening time are people who probably haven't contributed any actual loving content that is really car related.

Did you just complain about people chatting about miscellaneous stuff in the miscellaneous chat thread? That's getting deep.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm itching for a new beater vehicle and my wife wants something 7-passenger to use to haul scouts around. I've had my eyes out for another XC90, but I stumbled on a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero nearby for dirt-cheap.

Except it's on craigslist. And there's no contact information for the seller. No phone number, no email, nothing through cl.

So I went to the address shown on the ad and it was there. It's pretty beat, but I'd be able to clean it up nicely. I left a post-it note on the side window asking them to call me.

I may go stalker on this damned thing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god the photo of that Syrian infant that drowned :(

I gotta go hug my 3 year old for a long time...

There's a whole bunch of bodies washing ashore all over the Mediterranean Sea recently. It's horrid and you should not look at the images on liveleak.

Funny, Europe wasn't getting hammered by huge waves of refugees before the West destabilized the entire Middle East...

Edit: I just saw the picture you were talking about. At least the article called the people "refugees" instead of "migrants," because they sure as gently caress are not migrants.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 3, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Amazon has the Nexus 6 at $349. gently caress yeah, sign me up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mafoose posted:

Hmm...
I know it's on it's way out, but man, for that price, is it worth it?
It's pretty much compatible with every carrier right?

I'm just afraid the new N5 is going to be poo poo.

It's on its way out, but the N5 has been gone for 2 years and is still a viable phone. I tried the Zenfone 2 last month and, spec-for-spec, it seemed to be comparable to the N5... but in person it felt cheap and flimsy. Plus I didn't like the stock Asus OS implementation. I realized I am spoiled by the high-quality, feature-packed Nexus line... but I did like the larger size.

I was going to wait for the N5x/whatever replaces the N6, but with the N5x coming out with only a 5.2" screen and a price point of $400, this N6 deal for $350 is too good to pass up. Google has historically blown out its old models just before the new ones come out.

The new N6 could be interesting, but it's from a manufacturer much less known in the US, plus it's price point will be higher yet than the 5x.

With all of that, I grabbed an N6 from Amazon with delivery tomorrow... unfortunately, I don't have a nano-SIM to plug in. :smith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

drat, I forgot about that... I've got a cutter for regular-to-micro... I should have just grabbed a cutter for micro-to-nano. I'll try cutting mine down, though. Thanks for the reminder!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Craigslist nonsense? Never.

Took a look at a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. Original owner, small Turkish woman and her husband. They spoke English pretty well, so language wasn't an issue. Truck has 144k miles on it, I don't think it's seen anything other than an oil change. Timing belt never done (she said that her car doesn't have a timing belt). A whole bunch of codes from o2 sensor, misfires, coolant coming up to temperature... sounds like a beat-to-poo poo garbage box.

But it wasn't. It was an honest car. I know that catching it up on maintenance, fluids, plugs, timing belt, all that jazz, would make it a great car. It drove like someone had taken care of it all its life... just the kind of car I like.

Listing on craigslist also had no way to contact the owner. No phone number, no email. It was marked nearby on the map, so I found it that way and left a note on the window.

So it got down to price. Listing on craigslist had it at $2200. I told her that I would give her $2200 for it right now if it didn't have a timing belt, like she said. But then, I said, it does. And it's a $700-900 job. To which she replied "Oh no, I can't sell it for $2200" :wtf: So I pulled out the craigslist ad and she said that her son made the ad.

By the time I left, she was coming around to the $2200, but I am in the $1600-1800 range, due to the work that it absolutely needs. So she said that she'd think about it and get back to me.

It's like a lost mongrel puppy... I just want to bring it home, clean it up and make it happy. :unsmith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: And I've never had one that did that.

I've had android phones for a while. And I have an iphone 5 for the Flir One. The iphone is good, in a very limited, limiting way. The touch response is better than any android I've had. The rest, though, feels like Apple wants you to keep your hands to yourself and just let Apple tell you what you want. Android is more like "yeah, man, tear that poo poo up." I prefer Android.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thanks again for the reminder. Cutting it down worked perfectly. I was just about to order a replacement, so that's :10bux: saved.

N6 is exactly what I was looking for. Nice screen, big form factor, quick... I'm happy. Now it's time to strip the N5 down and upgrade my wife's N4.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My house must be a Land Rover, it sprung a leak in the plumbing.

Wheee :toot:

Welcome to home ownership. :toot:

Where was the leak? Probably copper?

LloydDobler posted:

What kind of car? If it's a common car and a common color, just getting a junkyard trunk lid might be cheaper than trying to have it refinished. If it's down to primer there's not much you can do but that.

Yeah, no real repair short of a respray, but the scratches would mostly come out. I'd probably use Dr. Colorchip and it'd be almost unnoticeable after a few applications build up.

Edit: Bad day for rally racing. :(
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34165776

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 6, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

No its drain. Morons used silicon to fix a pipe....

Hahaha. We need pictures of that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

He was making a joke about dog people.

And leica made a good point about pit bulls and their owners.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Apple's just trolling its customers now...

a) the ipad PRO now supports the Apple Pencil for only $99 more... which the rest of the world has known as a "stylus" for decades.

b) for only $32 per month, you can get a new iphone EVERY year. So, if you pay the price of a new iphone over a year, they'll give you a new iphone.

:thumbsup:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You're better off just replacing the pink tile, too. Replacing one outdated part of the bathroom still leaves an outdated bathroom. If you are hell-bent on keeping the pink tile, you can just replace the countertop which would make a big difference and get you a new sink and faucet (get one of the faucets that pivots, they are awesome in a bathroom). Also, if you are lucky, you can scour craigslist for cabinet bases and you may come up with something that you'd be able to make into the vanity with just a bit of saw work.

some texas redneck posted:

So my new phone showed up. It was an open box from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It was sold as carrier-neutral, unlocked.

I was going to warn you about Amazon Warehouse when I saw your post, but it was too late. I tried them a few times and their failure rate for me was over 50%. Mis-described, wrong-items, you name it. If you buy from Amazon Warehouse, make sure that it's something you don't really need, 'cause you're taking a chance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 INCH DICK posted:

I get what you're trying to do but for the record Id willingly bust your face in with a tire iron if you tried to say I wasn't good at my job to my face so congrats on being a piece of poo poo

This is the best post to wake up to.

Especially after I got a case for the Nexus 6 yesterday. And the device got an Android update yesterday. And I told it to install the update. And the loving case has no bumps or any tactile response for the buttons. And I was holding the power button and didn't know it as the OS updated.

Wouldn't clear, cache reset wouldn't fix it, factory reset wouldn't fix it, picked "power off" from the bootloader and figured I'd gently caress with it in the morning. Woke up this morning and it's flat dead (from a full charge last night).

gently caress that case.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

You're a loser who smokes animal poo poo, lives in a hovel and threatens violence at low effort trolling. Maybe you should take an internet time out.

And what do you add, really? Every post you make is just bitching about other people's worthlessness. I didn't know you were elected arbitor of worth.

Alarbus posted:

If you leave it plugged in for a while, then press all three buttons, it should (hopefully) boot back into the bootloader. If that's the case, you can manually flash the images from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I can't remember if you're one of the people who already knows a bunch about phones, so, uh, sorry if you already know this.

Unfortunately, on the Nexus 6, you cannot flash an image without unlocking the bootloader. And there's the problem. Seems like the "Allow OEM Unlock" must be checked in Developer Options before you can unlock it. If you can't get to Developer Options because the phone is hosed? Bricked.

>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Developer Options.
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.005s

:thumbsup:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 11, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sigma X posted:

You could definitely get raped using a bird.

New thread title.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

You know Oz is just screwing around right? He didn't mean that seriously :v:

Suuuuure... he was being ironic (which is the backpedal after he's called on his bullshit). :rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

He mentioned this to me and others elsewhere far before being called out on it. Sheesh.

And there's the problem with backchannel bs.

CornHolio posted:

I'd been trying to find out if it was better/worse than the old 4.3L V6, which I understand is nigh indestructible. It's a moot point now anyway but I'm curious as to thoughts on the matter.

I'm looking for a beater 7-passenger thingie and you put the Trailblazer/Envoy on my radar. I'm interested in hearing how it holds up / what to watch for.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

It's fun and people fall for it? That's a problem? :v:

kastein posted:

Can you, bape/a5h, track day bro!, and your other butt buddy Breath Ray, don't think you aren't loving obvious, seeing as you started low effort trolling about 5 minutes after the other 3 got probated, post exactly the same aimspeak byob/fyad-lite spew as the others, and are just as useless just go be shitlords somewhere else? That would be awesome thanks.

So when your buddy trolls, it's funny. However, when someone else does, it's not funny. Gotcha.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Get out of my head. :hf:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm just trying to tell the world what I've got, come on!

Some of us aren't just one-note car people. Branch out, sheeple.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MustardFacial posted:

:ssh: I've never thought miata's were all that exciting either.

I absolutely agree, if you're talking about stock. To me they seem boring and slow.

Turbocharge them to make double-plus the stock horsepower, though, and you're talking about an entirely different, and exceedingly awesome, animal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Some people spend $5000 for a pool, others buy asphalt.

I watched that for entirely too long, it was mesmerizing. (Edit: even more so when it's two thumbnails playing at once)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Can't drive in a pool.

Untrue. Maybe can't drive out of a pool, but...

(also fits the Miata theme of this page)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When is the inaugural burnout mark?

Too soft. That'd be an inaugural trench.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah rear end in a top hat I took a 50% paycut what else would I be bitching about?

If STR can write 9 pages about delivering pizzas everyday and you guys can talk about smoking squirrel poo poo everyday, I can talk about whatever I want too. In this Misc. Chat Thread.

You're adorable. :angel:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Amidst and among the earlier nonsense, I mentioned I was looking for a 7 passenger beater vehicle.

What do I need to know about a '98 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 V8?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

Wait, you can't even flash the factory image without unlocking it? :psyduck:

That is exactly the case, unless you check the "Allow OEM Unlock." So if it shits and won't boot... brick.

I'm honestly surprised that is even a possibility.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geirskogul posted:

So you can't flash a custom recovery, sideload the image, and flash it? I was having the exact issues you are having, but with my HTC One M7, and I had to go through that song and dance night before last. Took a few hours, but recovered my bricked phone. Ended up stepping through like four different custom recoveries until one would stick, on two different computers. TWRP allows bypassing the security requirements on-device for when it fails through adp.

That's the thing, there's no bypassing, period, unless you've already rooted the phone (or had the Allow OEM Upload checked). Dead stock N6 phone, interrupted during a monthly Android update resulted in an unrecoverable brick.

First thing I loving do with the replacement that should show up today? Rooting the poo poo out of it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'd pass on all 5.4 powered anything Fords. I was looking at a Expedition myself, but they are absolute cunts to work on. But for what it's worth, the contractor the railroad uses to haul crews around uses expeditions, the oldest one had 606,000 (yes that's correct, 1 engine, 2 trannys - 606,000 miles). It was mostly idling and highway driving as well.

But that drat 5.4 engine is a whore when it breaks.

Per our previous discussion, the LX470 would be a good candidate too, they hold up really well. And failing that, the Suburban is always a safe bet, but make sure you get the Denali or Escalade so if has the 6.0 or the 06 Suburban did come with 6.0's in a late production run. The 5.3 isn't a bad motor, but the 6.0 is much much better and the fuel economy is pretty much the same.

Yeah, I forgot about those ridiculous plugs in the 5.4.

I think the Trailblazer/Envoy could be a contender... tons of them around here, dirt cheap. That gives me time to cherry pick a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/toolkit-wugs-nexus-root-toolkit-v1-9-8-t2947452

In case you don't feel like doing everything manually. I used this toolkit when I still used my Nexus 4.

That is great, thank you. If I had found that before, I would have used it to backup my N5 and set up the N6 and I wouldn't have to start from scratch!

• Locked thread