Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quarterly ""everyone be there" meeting at work today, so I had to go in on my normal telecommuting day. Got a $1000 bonus award for a project we did last quarter. Worth the commute I guess! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Spent most of today cruising around and out of San Diego bay on a 75 year old, three masted wooden schooner. Today was a pretty good day.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I took the first semi-real 'vacation' that I've taken in many years over the long holiday weekend (I took an extra day off on each end, so Thursday through Tuesday), so have a lot of reading to do before I'm caught up on this and other AI threads. In the mean time, I thought some people might find some pictures of boats interesting.

I spent the holiday weekend in San Diego, where they were having their annual Festival of Sail. I took a huge number of photo's (I went full-on tourist mode for this trip). Of course the pictures here were taken when I was on other ships, but all are from this weekend.

I *think* that the lengths listed for all of these ships are the sparred overall length, not length on deck or waterline.

I started off on Friday participating in the Parade of Sail on the deck of American Pride, a large (129') three-masted schooner build in 1941. Because of her size, the crowded nature of the parade, and a light breeze, we spent very little time without the engine assisting, which made me sad, but it was a necessary evil as they had to use the engines hard on two separate occasions to prevent a collision with a small boat with a very dumb helmsman.

On Saturday, I spent a few hours on another 129' schooner, this time the Bill of Rights, for a mock cannon battle with the Irving Johnson. The engine was much less obtrusive on the Bill of Rights, but they never did shut it off, as we were doing a lot of tight maneuvering for the mock battle, and far too many people in small boats have no clue how to keep a safe distance from a pair of maneuvering tall ships, and like the day before on the American Pride, the engine had to be used to avoid a collision with one of them on more than one occasion.

Saturday afternoon was when it got really fun, as I boarded the 83' Topsail schooner - Amazing Grace. This boat was extremely light and maneuverable compared to the previous two ships, and her captain loved to show those characteristics off. The engine was shut completely down as soon as we got away from the dock and the sails were raised, and the crew had us landlubbers help with the sails, raising and trimming, as well as moving from side to side to help with heeling, etc. Great fun crew and I had a great time.

Sunday was the cruise that really made me want to get back into sailing. I went out on the Curlew, a 81' long, John Alden designed schooner that was launched in 1926. This boat was beautiful, and very fast. Like the Amazing Grace, the engine was killed as soon as we left the dock, and the rest of the day was just spent sailing around San Diego Bay, where the Curlew handily outran every other sailboat on the water (except the Stars & Stripes), even though she isn't allowed to fly a spinnaker with passengers aboard (coast guard rule for them I guess).

Although the photo shows her only flying the inner jib, on the cruise I was on she was flying all three, the inner, mid, and flying jib. When everything was trimmed up, we were flying across the bay, and it was surprisingly dry, even in a heavy swell.

Now I just need to get a good, high paying job in San Diego, and volunteer to be on the crew of every sailboat I can find!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm all for going to the optometrist regularly (hell, I've got two in my family) but I'm done buying glasses through optometrists. My vision insurance coverage is loving laughable at how little actual coverage it gets me; a set of glasses from Zenni are cheaper than my after-insurance rate through any major chain. I spend far more on premiums than I save in the optometry visit, too.

So, AZ goons, everyone still in one piece? :shepicide:

So strange to see those signs. I drive that entire stretch of the 10 in the morning and afternoon both. Not really worried personally, what with the 'odds' thing, and I keep hoping it will make all the paranoid people take other routes or something so my commute would be faster. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sigma X posted:

I imagined , but there's the type of rakes used to rake garden/dirt (bow rake), with stiff metal tines like so: . There's also a hay rake, which is a farming implement, rake as it refers to a group of train cars, and the the literary archetype of the rake - usually a male character of charm but dubious morals.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, also a bird.

You forgot rake as an indicator of angle that a mast is stepped - i.e. the rake of the masts on a sail boat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

They've apparently got a person-of-interest in custody regarding the freeway shootings. In the meantime...

That's hilarious.

DPS thinks that there are 3 people doing this. A road rager, the 'bullet' shooter, and a third person using rocks or BB's. No clue which one they may think the 'person of interest' is, who they have charged for possession of pot, but not related to the shootings.

For those not in AZ, we have now had 11 vehicles hit by something since Aug 29 on the local freeways, mostly on a stretch of I-10, 8 of them were bullets, and 3 of them by 'other projectiles'. Nobody has been injured, but of course the media has fanned this into quite a frenzy now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

88h88 posted:

Still watching Goodwood revival, 60s GT cars currently. Watching a lovely E-type spanking a field of AC Cobras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sGzQKKzVc

I've never seen so many Cobra's before in my life.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

88h88 posted:

Still watching Goodwood revival, 60s GT cars currently. Watching a lovely E-type spanking a field of AC Cobras.

So the estimated value of the field is 'over 150 million British pounds'. :stare:

Edit: That's over $231 million US.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

88h88 posted:

What a glorious racket they make too! That yellow one at several points was three wheeling round the corners too...!

Indeed.

88h88 posted:

Someone in the chat first mentioned the insurance company sponsoring the event said they valued it at £85 million which itself was a sillyyyyyyyyyyyyy amount but then the commentator mentioned £150 million which is just mindblowing. A lot of that was probably the Ferrari 250.

That Aston Martin Project 212 car was valued at over $3.5 million - back in 2000, god knows what it's worth now. But yea, that LM is basically priceless.

Tide posted:

Why can't the dashcam footage be used? There's no expectation of privacy on a public road.

Also, always always always ALWAYS call the police. Do not take her information. Let her give it to the police and then you get it from the police report.

Also, always call the police.

This. Always this. Never leave the scene of an accident (at fault or not) without getting the cops there, unless it's on private property where they won't respond (depends on your local government).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

From the TFR photo thread

Awesome.

So I mentioned last week that I got a surprise $1000 bonus. Tonight is when the direct deposit goes into my account for the paycheck it shows up on.

The net increase on my check after taxes. .. $617. :negative:

I am happy about the bonus of course, but drat, giving almost 40% of it to the government sucks rear end.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I did the math on the "raise/promotion" I've been offered.

It'll be a gross increase of about $50 every 2 weeks. And seeing as I have to report tips, taxes take a large chunk out of my net pay. Kinda thinking it's not worth it, since net will probably be about $20-30 every 2 weeks.

$20-30 bucks is $20-30 bucks. Unless there are additional responsibilities that you don't want that come along with the promotion/raise, no reason not to take it that I can think of. More money is more money, even if the IRS does take a big chunk of it. I'm sure as hell not going to give back the bonus just because I only got 61% of it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

My god, i just got great news about our little consultant firm.

ill save you the wall of text, but is going to be real fun. we are hiring 8 more people and have signed a major contract with a contractor that spans for 36 months

Congratulations!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, rained in socal :v:

drat, that's worse than Phoenix when it rains!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Just over 18k miles on the Focus without any problems at all. For some reason that reminds me that I need to change the oil this weekend though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

Aha, after asking the waifu i get it, shock trauma is the ER of University of Marylands hospital, and john hopkins is another hospital

she is also talking about a hospital in New York, and on in the bay area... i know what i would prefer

There are plenty of first-rate trauma centers all over the US, so I guess it just depends on what sort of trauma she wants to learn about and deal with. For shooty/stabby stuff the Baltimore area would be pretty good, but of course you live in shooty/stabby land. The trauma centers in Phoenix are very busy, but more weighted to traffic accidents, and work injuries, although there are a fair number of fight/shooty/stabby stuff injuries too.

Personally if I was coming to the US and had my choice on where to go, it would be San Diego, just because the weather is pretty much perfect all year round, and the bay exists, where sailing is perfect almost every day.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love Arizona but if I could make San Diego work without a huge headache, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yea, if my company had an office there I'd be checking for in-house openings every single day. Probably 3 times per day.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

keykey posted:

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard

Wow.. just.. wow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Changing the oil today (third one, Focus ST), and drat but the oil just keeps on dripping out of this dumb engine. I pulled the plug when it was hot from a drive, and it's still dripping 2-3 drops per second after an hour. Really makes you think about how much filthy oil those quick-lube places (and dealerships) leave in there.

Luckily, I don't have any pressing reason to rush when I do it, and it can just drip away for a good part of the day while I'm doing other stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Fine fuckers drat I'll start a thread this week.

Edit: my wife is in hair school, and has friends over tonight. I took over the stereo with my vinyl collection. They are NOT happy.

Playing 70's hair bands I hope.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

blk posted:

Those of you with more cars than garage space - how do you determine which cars go in the garage? Just had a...discussion with the wife about this and am curious how other people do it.

Back when I had that problem, the race car went into the garage, because it was a race car with no windows or locks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

In non-AI news, I signed up for sailing lessons. In a boat, without an engine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

scuz posted:

:boom:

Got the job! Instant $12k/year raise, half the commute, I can even take the bus and do some major work on the jalopy. More importantly, I can start paying off the 3 credit cards I maxed-out working at my old job :unsmith:

Congratulations! Hope it works out great.

Adiabatic posted:

Power plant :words:

So awesome. Out here in the middle of the desert, we don't have handy lakes to provide cooling water for the power plants, which made me wonder - how does the power plant cooling affect the lake? Is the temperature increase significant enough to change the ecosystem, or is it a large enough heat-sink that it has a negligible effect?

So drat glad I don't live in earthquake prone area. Really interesting to see how they engineer around that reality though. Also, Cray's are cool.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Nice! Where at/what school/what kind of boats? (! Another AI sailor!)

Tempe Town Lake (yes, right in the middle of the desert) in Capri 14.2's. It's done by the Arizona Sailing Foundation under US Sailing certified instructors. 5 classes spread 2 weeks apart on Saturdays, so pretty casual, which is good for me and my schedule.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Oh, cool, those look like more modern Flying Scots. Not a lot of real estate to work with water wise, though! Whats the current like in that river?

Pretty small boats, so I imagine there's enough real estate to learn the basics. They also have a regular racing series on this little lake, I think with several different small classes of boats (like Lazers). The lake has a size restriction of 30' from the water for the highest point, and no gas engines are allowed, and only small electrics.

It's a lake, so there shouldn't be any current.

Pretty sure they close the lake on the rare occasion where we have enough outflow from the upstream dams that water is flowing over the dam at the west end of this little lake.

SuperDucky posted:

Also is this just general boat handling or will it cover racing rules as well?

No idea.

There is also an optional 'bonus' day of sailing on larger boats (member boats so unknown what type until you show up I guess) on Lake Pleasant, which has a pretty big sailing area (at least big relative to here, it's not the ocean).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Oh wow it's actually a lake. Guess I was zoomed in too far. 30' from the water would make it so that anything bigger than a Capri 18 wouldn't be allowed!

Looks like they used to rent Capri 14's and 22's (they don't appear to rent sailboats at all any more though, bummer). It's possible the rules have changed over time though.

The bridge clearances to the water are actually quite a bit less than 30', so parts of the lake would be restricted for sailboats completely.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

The turtle in our back yard came back... To keep the dog from eating it I grabbed it and put it in a Tupperware storage box, now do I take it to the park by the river or keep it in an aquarium a nice soup?

Go with the soup.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

I hope September 2015 is the last chat thread in AI. Worst decsion ever to have one. How about we post in each others project threads next month?

I have no AI projects though, it's a terrible thing, even though it is nice to be able to park the car I drive every day in the garage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

Theres always the "what did you do to your ride today" thread. Im going through mice like crazy when the scroll wheel wears out in the chat threads.

It's stock. And for the foreseeable future, it's staying that way too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

my car is fwd please dont driftshame me

Do the skid backwards.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Probably a couple pages too late, but have some more dog. This is my brothers new puppy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The numbers on super computers are amazing. They are all so huge that it's just really hard for your brain to 'get it'.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's the most hilarious thing I've seen/heard in weeks.

I lost it when he said they were calling the Coast Guard.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Look at all those navigation hazards!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Our data center is just row after row of boring plain black cabinets.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, those are one of my favorite things about the otherwise-boring-as-gently caress drive between Phoenix and LA.

Bunch of them just before you head up the hill (to Jacumba) on the way to San Diego now too. You can see those fuckers all the way from El Centro.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So who's going to start a standalone AI forum for when this place collapses?

I could, but that seems like it would take effort, and there's also a good chance that my 15'ish year old Linux box would explode when the 14th or 15th person tried to browse the forum at the same time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

The bastard sold the e2200 van I was after, but only after giving me the go-ahead to fork out on the (non refundable) train tickets to get myself halfway across the country to get it. :argh:

Back to searching for another one that isn't a rusty piece of poo poo!

People are lovely assholes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cage posted:

My desk at work is :perfect:

Where did you get this, or is it custom?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm considering the Project Fi thing for my cell service. I'm currently on T-Mobile, so other than the cost of the new phone (since I currently have a Galaxy S3, I'd have to buy one of those Nexus phones that support it), is there a down side to making the switch? I'd keep all T-Mobile service that I currently have, and add Sprint coverage, and in theory my bill should go down since you only pay for data you actually use.

Is anyone here on this service and have any feedback on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sigma X posted:

I got my invite this morning and signed up then, but the SIM card wont' arrive for "2 to 3 weeks". I'll let you know at that point; however you should know that PFi piggybacks off both Sprint AND T-Mobile for their connections, as well as WiFi access points. So your coverage would be at least as good as it is now, plus Spring, plus open hotspots. And yeah, seems like the only downside is that if you're in an area with lovely Sprint AND T-Mob coverage, you're screwed.

Since I'm already on T-Mobile, I figured there can't really be a coverage downside. I've never actually done a phone/carrier swap myself before, so I need to look into how (or if) I can move all my apps and contacts etc. from the Samsung to the Nexus. Thinking I'll just get an unlocked phone from Amazon and then I can use it on T-mobile or Fi either way.

As far as the invites go, I applied for an invite and it came less than 48 hours later, so apparently it's not very hard to get the invite right now.

• Locked thread