Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

As loathe as I am to say something like this, a friend of mine spent two months in a primarily immigrant Muslim town in Sweden, and her experiences were a horrifying cocktail of misogyny (up to an including rape and death threats), from men and women alike (including a little girl screaming at her that she's a vile person for watching cartoons instead of having children). How do you prevent the creation of insular, toxic communities like that one without loving over desperate people fleeing a horrible place?

From a couple of pages back but what cartoons specifically was she watching? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I was gonna make a stupid joke like if it's mlp/anime death threats are to be expectedwarranted.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 5, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

SedanChair posted:

Nigel Farage doesn't really hammer on about rape gangs (I guess he has more taste and restraint than you).

:iceburn:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Were they planning to swim across the sea to Sweden? Surely they have to identify themselves somewhere to get on a boat?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Sweet, didn't know that.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I, for one, welcome our new Fourth Islamic Reich overlords.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
So apparently Denmark suspended all rail-links to Germany.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

School Nickname posted:

"These colors don't run into my country" - Danish PM

:master: holy poo poo

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Your gov't also has the biggest bank account, and honestly near infinite money due to the strength of the dollar. The issue is only willingness to spend it constructively, just as in Europe.

e: you're correct on other counts tho, but barring the existence of an actual social safety net Europe probably won't accept them much better re: tolerance

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Popping in after reading an article about that train station in Hungary. If these people are fleeing war and political instability, why are they not happy with serbia and hungary (Which, AFAIK are EU member nations with all the rights thereof)? It seems greedy to demand residence in only the richest nations if you are claiming refugee status. That makes them economic migrants, not war refugees, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Serbia is not a member of the EU and while I believe we all should be doing as much as we can to help the refugees somebody already explained that the Serbian and Hungarian economies were in a bad way even before the migrant crisis (eg. >20% unemployment rate in Serbia's case) and Serbia is straining just to take care of the refugees on their way through, let alone if they all somehow decided to stay.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I made an inquiry a bit ago that got lost in the shuffle. Why wasn't Romania already a major conduit? Even more lovely mountains and less access to the more profitable places to work? (Although Poland, spiked pig heads notwithstanding, could probably benefit from manual laborers working to raise the locals' living standards...)

In addition to what my dad said, the natural border between Bulgaria and Romania is the Danube. Crossing rivers is a much trickier proposition than hopping a land border.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

All Warsaw pact countries look alike.

This has gotta be :thejoke: right? Croatia was never in the Warsaw pact.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Tesseraction posted:

So at this point would it be better to (tacitly) support Western intervention or Russia's gear-up to go? NB: not saying 'good' just 'less worse'

Since Syria seems to be a primarily Shia country I'd assume Russian/Iranian intervention would be the way forward, especially as Russia seems happy to put boots on the ground.

No, Syria is primarily Sunni, the government just happens to be Shia due to Western power plays.

e: wait, did the French put the Alawis in power or did they rise up during the Ba'thist period?
e2: it seems a bit of both, the French favoring Alawis as officers in the army dealing with Syrian insurgency led to the Alawis being in a good position during the post-independence military coups and the rise of the Ba'ath party

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 17, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Fair enough, I guess in my mind I lumped it with the whole Sykes-Picot deliberately unstable borders divide and rule politics.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ligur posted:

The blue eyed naivety in this thread is awesome to behold!

Please keep going!

Syrians make a fraction of the people coming to Europe, and even they seem to be quite thankless when they get here

You piece of poo poo, come down to the Balkans and walk to a column of refugees with me, give them a bottle of water and watch their reaction.

And yes, most of them are Syrians or Afghans.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

GaussianCopula posted:

We are in this lovely situation because the lack of enforcement of the Dublin treaty led to a situation where they countries that needed to enforce their borders (especially Greece) stopped doing their job and just let the refugee's in with the clear intention of letting them go on to Germany/Sweden, who can't enforce their borders in the same way because of Schengen.

Ahaha you gotta be loving kidding me. The Dublin agreement is meaningless in a refugee crisis of this scale. It's not a question of will, the border countries literally cannot enforce their borders and the smugly safely-distanced (until recently) countries didn't want to help. To be perfectly honest, I'm skeptical you'd be able to prevent people from crossing even if all of EU pitched in barring like a huge wall around eastern Thrace and a permanent naval blockade of Turkish and Levantine ports and coastline.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Just in case you didn't see it because I edited the quote in later, I was replying to GaussianCopula not you, steinrokkan.

But yeah, the advanced checkpoints thing makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it would not only need the EU to come together for a joint refugee resettlement effort but also work the logistic kinks out with the countries hosting the checkpoints.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

pointsofdata posted:

-landlords can evict without a court order if they believe the tenant has incorrect immigration status

oh wow, this will in no way be abused, no siree

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a race issue not a class issue om shanti shanti shanti this is a race issue not a class issue ommmmm race issue not class issue ohmmm race issue not class issue ohmmm

lmao

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

waitwhatno posted:

The Turkites, the CIS Slavs and the YugoTRANS Slavs

thank you very much

also nice fanfiction

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Hey, uhh, Cracked.com actually sent two guys to the Serbia-Hungaria border to talk with the refugees and made a non-terrible article out of it.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1916-we-met-syrias-war-refugees-7-awful-things-they-told-us.html

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

VitalSigns posted:

Educated middle-class affluent people from a former European colony have had an English education, how suspicious

Come on, you know what he means. Spelling above third grade level is unusual on internet comments sections and I think he was simply referring to the Russian troll farms.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
lol I mean I wouldn't put anything past Vučić but people here are aware we're set to receive refugees for another 5 years at least. Even if they all pass through we'll still deal with the situation years from now.

e: what I mean is, even if he gets foreign gov'ts to take in refugees it's not like we won't have more coming in every month

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 21, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
finland ain't really where vikings came from :ssh:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

murphyslaw posted:

Sensible. Living in a bombed-out ruin with bullets whistling by over your head is miles better than languishing in some Ugric wasteland, worshipping sticks and radiators, functioning welfare system or no. But don't take my word for it, here's the gentleman in question explaining his predicament:

hahaha God help me but I laughed out loud like a loving idiot

10/10 twist

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
:ssh: We're all secretly accelerationist. We are fully aware of the consequences, what better tool to collapse the European status-quo than the inrushing saracen swarms.

e: diction

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Puistokemisti posted:

English as second language would make sense but Swedish People Party holds absurd amounts of political power compared to their actual size and will torpedo all proposals that affect swedish's position as second official language.

A modest proposal: since Finnish and Hungarian are distantly related we should emigrate all Hungarians into Finland or vice versa and give the now-empty country to the refugees.

I haven't yet decided which option sounds more appealing, forcing the refugees to live in the bleak wastelands of Finland would be cruel so I'm leaning towards emptying out Hungary.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

The_Franz posted:

What exactly qualifies a language as 'sensible'?

Not being able to do this: http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html :v:

In all fairness though, English grammar is fairly easy to learn sufficiently well to make yourself understood and English speakers have a lot of practice hearing all kinds of linguistic manglings anyway.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Fug. Wright in a benis. : DDDDdd

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
shamelessly stolen from politically loaded maps thread

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Hogge Wild posted:

imo the refugees should be shipped to usa

gg, close thread

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ligur posted:

It's horrible here. Please don't come.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

If you can find a European country where racism against Middle Easterners and North Africans is virtually non-existent, then you can argue that there's no need for reparations from them, on the grounds earlier suggested. But people argued both with historical arguments and with contingent arguments about reparations, and attacking the historical arguments solely is a mark of faulty argumentation.

Wait, I'm actually on your side but are you demanding reparations for simply being racist? You can't really punish wrongthing no matter how repugnant it may be to you.

e: as in just the fact of being prejudiced in your head, not perpetrating systematic injustice against a peoples

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

Why not? Racism is wrong. Reparations are an acknowledgement of wrongs. It seems like a good fit.

Furthermore, we can and do punish "wrongthing" all the time, when it is accompanied by action- jurisprudence considers mens rea as well as the action itself. And racism is not solely a matter of thought, it is expressed, as you can see all through this thread. Thus, to acknowledge their wrongdoing, Europeans should pay reparations. But they won't because that would admit wrongdoing.

Reparations are just what the word says, repayments of a damage caused. For the sake of argument, if you manage to have bad thoughts without manifesting them in actions however subtle you cannot be punished for them. Surely you see how that's kind of a crazy way to approach stamping out bigoted thinking.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

Sure, but nobody can tell that you have "bad thoughts" in that case. What you're arguing is that only certain expressions of racism be considered bad.

Yeah ok, should've phrased that slightly differently. No, all prejudice is bad, period. That said, not all expressions of prejudice cause the same amount of harm.

Should black Americans pay reparations to white Americans for cracking honkey jokes? Should the Chinese pay reparations to the Indians for example for all those comments you can read on chinasmack.com? Should those same refugees pay reparations to sub-Saharan Africans, I'm sure you can find plenty of prejudiced ones. That's because everybody is prejudiced in one way or another. Unless you want to water the term down to the point of uselessness racism is a systematic, often institutionalized, injustice perpetrated against a group of people.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

And on that day, Olaf had an epiphany. Knowing that he had finally found a way to right all wrongs, he showed up at the Blood Viking Blood Court of Blood Feuds of Blood, smiled to the Bloody Great Bloodsecrator, and said only one word: "Wergild"

:laffo:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

First of all, I reject utilitarianism and the harm principle. Second of all, if people are unwilling to admit that prejudice is wrong, then it is only just that duly chosen representatives pay reparations. So yes, in the abstract. In the concrete, of course we should start with the bigger injustices, such as Europe wrt to most of the world, Japan wrt to South Korea and China, China wrt to most of its ethnic minorities, etc. because these in turn will turn the world towards acknowledging prejudice as wrong and help eliminate backlash-prejudice.

I'm not talking about historical wrongs, idiot. I feel I should put that in 72-point font and put a spotlight in front of it.

Wait, if you're not talking about historical wrongs then why does Japan matter wrt South Korea and China (WWII comfort women and rape of Nanking / unit 731 respectively I presume). Chinese are just as prejudiced against the Japanese as the reverse, ditto South Korea.

Also just lol at the Europe part. You see it like this:

but honestly most of the Balkans would get to demand reparations from pretty much every loving empire in the neighborhood in the last 2000 years. And not just for historical reasons either, we get to experience all kinds of prejudiced poo poo in the west nowadays too.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

First of all, I reject utilitarianism and the harm principle. Second of all, if people are unwilling to admit that prejudice is wrong, then it is only just that duly chosen representatives pay reparations. So yes, in the abstract. In the concrete, of course we should start with the bigger injustices, such as Europe wrt to most of the world, Japan wrt to South Korea and China, China wrt to most of its ethnic minorities, etc. because these in turn will turn the world towards acknowledging prejudice as wrong and help eliminate backlash-prejudice.

I'm not talking about historical wrongs, idiot. I feel I should put that in 72-point font and put a spotlight in front of it.

Wait, wait, wait, I gotta come back to this. Harm wasn't mentioned in the context of utilitarianism but since you seriously agreed to the idea that the US blacks should pay reparations to the US whites and you rejected the idea of relative harm that means Dave Chapelle should pay back the same amount as the descendants of a plantation owner.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 27, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

Rejecting the idea that harm can be quantified doesn't actually conclude that inherently, and secondly, if the reparations were to be the same size Dave Chapelle would actually have to pay more than the descendants of plantation owners. But of course, you didn't think of that.

lmao I used Dave Chapelle as a stand in for black people but if it makes your brain break less instead of "descendants of a slave owner" substitute "owner of a New Jim Crow for-profit prison who lobbies local judges to be 'tougher on crime'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

Which is it, "khwarezm"?

ahaha holy poo poo the scare quotes, best troll of 2015

• Locked thread