Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Guessing there's no way I'd be allowed to drop a player who was cut and technically isn't in the NFL anymore? Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edit: He was cut after our keep lock-in.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Rueben Randle

Edit: Can I propose that we can drop players who are cut during the one week we can't drop players?

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
He's been cut two years in a row for lack of effort. I can't imagine he's wanted or will be worth anything other than a warm body. I assumed his first cut would make him realize he should try.

What's the reason behind the "can't drop week"? I can't see it being helpful for anyone especially when players can still get cut or have major injury. Is the week or no dropping in the rules?

Edit: As I see you can move players to IR. So players getting cut really fucks you because you can't do anything with them and you can't draft for the player who isn't playing.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 1, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Only thing I'm seeing is this:

"At least one week prior to the Rookie Draft, teams are unlocked and Owners may trade and drop players."

Nothing about locking rosters so we can't drop players, so there's no rule change to vote on.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
In every other keeper league I've played in keepers locked an hour before the draft. I could see maybe doing two hours for this because of the roster sizes. A full week seems WAY excessive, as a lot can happen during a week in the NFL.

I'd hope it doesn't take a week to make your first pick of the draft. It'd be like if we had everyone submit their first round pick one day and then required a week before we started the second round.

Also, there was nothing from stopping the person with the first pick from dropping his highest salary guy a week before and drafting him. I'm not sure why having them locked now changes that. If he wants to waste his first pick on a salary dump and not the best rookie then I guess we can let him shoot himself in the foot.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 1, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I host a teamspeak server if anyone wants to join that during the draft. Let me know and I can share the info.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I'm ok with any voice communications except discord. It's horrible at sound control and can go gently caress itself.

It's wonderful for large chat rooms ala IRC.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Whatcha want? I cant even field two starting running backs yet.

total newb

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Something that should def be changed for next season.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Could I propose we change the second waiver ending at like 11:30am est on Sundays? I keep getting screwed with guys who end up going out on Saturdays. I seem to have 2-4 players that get down graded to out on Saturdays and once that happens there's NOTHING that I can do. I'm guessing it's screwed other people over once or twice too, but I haven't been keeping track of other teams very much.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Pretty sure there's still London games, but they'll be at a normal 1pm est start time instead of the 9:30am start times.

I suppose late Saturday is better. I'd rather just go later on Sunday and make it 12:30 on Sunday. I get the time zone things, but everyone really should be checking their lineups before games for players that are game time decisions. I did it every week when I lived in the mountain time zone, and will be once I'm back in it next season. Any other league I can keep an eye on players and grab a player last minute if needed, but with the bidding we have that's not even possible.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
If we're doing Saturday we should do 11:59pm. Then west coasters can set their rosters at night and east coasters can set them in the morning.

I've been screwed a few times because players don't even get designated as out until after the saturday waiver so there's jack poo poo I can do about it. That's made me really uncomfortable sitting there not being able to do anything. We can't accommodate to everyone's schedule, but we should have it set so that we can set our lineups if we're actually paying attention. I've missed waivers before because I was busy in real life, but I'm not going to set rules around that because it's not fair for people who can/do stay on top of it.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I guess I'm still confused about this. Are you saying you've had players who were not designated as Questionable, suddenly be Out after saturday practice?

Yes, today that happened with Clowney.

Bennett hasn't played in like 5 weeks and every Sunday night/Monday morning he gets set to questionable. He's then set back to Out at some point Saturday night/Sunday morning. It's making it impossible to keep a full roster when the waiver time is almost always past when the designations get changed to Out.

Edit: This has been happening with all three of my DE's too. They've been switching to questionable and back to out past the waiver time. It's making it very difficult to submit a full roster for game time. I'm sure this isn't going to be a common thing, but it's something that could easily be avoided with the waiver being as close to the games as possible. I think Saturday at 7pm is still way too early because of how delayed some of the status can be in MFL. I've read players being downgraded to out and then sat here for a couple hours waiting for the MFL designation so I can move them to IR and try to get a player and it's been after the waiver every drat time.

Edit2: Screen shot of when Clowney was downgraded to Out and that he had practiced all week.

loving around with the message again:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5530/michael-bennett

Just go through all of his season this year. They knew he would be out because of surgery, but MFL kept switching him to questionable every week. MFL status changes can't be fixed, but allowing me to waiver after he gets set back to Out could be fixed.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 4, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Here's a case for making it Sunday, but the change could possibly be too even for a Sunday morning waiver.

"Lions want to see how WR Marvin Jones feels before today's game before making decision on whether he's active. Looked better at practice Fri"

practiced and they still might change him to Out. It's not a big deal when it's a single player, but I just happened to end up with all three guys that play the same position have this happen multiple weeks.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Bloody posted:

If a player has dicked you around all season maybe you should replace them

It was all three of my DEs. A simple fix is to change the waiver time. There's a lot of status changes that happen Saturday (even Sunday morning, but less so), so I don't understand why moving it wouldn't be beneficial for everyone.

This hasn't been due to lack of effort either. It seems whenever I get a DE they get hurt and are always questionable until Saturday and then go Out. I really have been trying.

Bennett def out because of surgery.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 4, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

OK I just want to be clear; Clowney was listed as Questionable all week, and was downgraded to Out today. We aren't talking about players with no injury designation suddenly being Out... we're talking about injured players who are Questionable, but you preferred to gamble by not acquiring a healthy backup earlier in the week.

"Clowney was originally listed as Questionable after practicing on a limited basis all week" is exactly how Questionable players are usually treated. They get no, or limited practice. If they practice in full, then they'll probably play, but otherwise... yeah, it's a gamble to count on them and you should have a backup.

I generally check Rotoworld for all of my questionable players by thursday and if there's any chance the player won't play, I make sure I have a healthy backup to go, including waivering one for Saturday. This means I have to manage a healthy bench, including trading away or dropping players by saturday if I have no healthy backups. It means I can't stash as many lottery tickets for long-term play.

The argument seems to be that instead of having to do that, it should be fine to roster many injured, Questionable players, and then only have to actually drop someone when one of those Questionable guys is downgraded on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I disagree that this is necessary, but if the consensus is that it is, alright.

But. The later the waivers process, the more pressure it puts on every owner to be available right after waivers run but before games start, in order to rearrange the roster when you pick up or drop a player. Since it's FAAB, you can't be certain you'll get what you want: basically checking in is mandatory unless you did not submit anything for this waiver period.

This also means it's basically impossible to make a trade with another owner after the waivers process but before games start. I'm less concerned about that, but it's a factor.

SO I'm saying that in a league with no free agency period, I don't want to have to get up early every loving Sunday just to see if my waiver wire went through and I might need to shuffle players.

There's also a shitload of players that get listed as questionable, limited in practice and then play. We can't just act as if every questionable player isn't playing, it's impossible. I also do have two others DEs who have been going back and forth too. Again, this is a dynasty league so I'm not dropping my best players for that position when it could be fixed with a wavier time that's after the majority of players get marked as out. There's also players who I KNOW will be out, but MFL doesn't change their status until AFTER our waiver period.

Has there EVER been a trade that involved a FA signing on a Saturday?

I still think midnight Saturday for the waiver is good. That's 9pm west coast, so you have time to make adjustments before bed and people on the east coast can make their roster adjustments in the morning well before games start. If someone requires 13 hours of sleep regularly they might want to make a doctors appointment, because something is wrong.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'm thinking about it and I can live with a midnight eastern time saturday night waiver. It helps owners with lots of injured players, but that's an equalizer in theory, so not terrible.

I assume we're talking next season, making a mid-season change isn't really fair if some owners have flushed questionable players on the basis of not being able to grab last-second backups or whatever.

Let's give anyone else who wants to weigh in a chance, and then commissioners can discuss a rule change or a vote.

yeah, I'm fine with waiting until next season.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Here's the highest scores for each week (if you're not here, I'm sorry about your team):

Second Round Kickers: 4
107 Brick Squad: 2
Team McLean: 2
I'm Pretty Garbage At This: 2
Gridiron Chefts: 1
Ash Ketchum Gotta catch em: 1
Hawk Hunters: 1

This was just to see how it would've workout if that was the option.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's gonna be like 20+ years before David Johnson is too expensive to keep, right?

Let's see, he's currently $8.

$8, $9, $10, $11, $12, $13, $14, $15, $17, $19, $21, $23, $25, $28, $31, $33, $36, $40, $44, $48, $53, $58, $64, $70, $77, $85, $94...

Yup. $48 in 20 years.

Do you guys think +10% a year is too low? The trouble is, higher than that and the players who start at like $30 are only keepable for a couple years at most.

The current system massively rewards identifying and successfully grabbing a future hall-of-famer before they become big. It also suggests that we're collectively severely underbidding on "lottery ticket" players. Sure, most won't work out... so you drop them, and use more of your FAAB budget, but most of us have plenty of that left. Occasionally one will make it big, and if we let another team get that guy for four dollars, they've got a lock on a big player for their entire career.

e. One thing would be to raise the "minimum raise" to two or three dollars, or use a geometric progression.

E.g., something like "first year kept: salary +10%, minimum $1. Second year: salary +10%, minimum $3. Third year: salary +10%, minimum $6. Fourth year: salary +10%, minimum $10. etc..."

Another thing many dynasty leagues do is put a maximum age on a contract. E.g., you can only keep someone for up to four or five years, and then have to drop them. Traded players keep their contracts. This would basically force some churn into the league, starting in a couple years, so we don't get dynasty teams with a lucky three cheap superstars permanently rostered.

You can even let someone slap a "franchise tag" on one and only one player, to keep them past their normal contract. Perhaps at an added cost.

All this is adding complexity of course, and maybe fishing for solutions to problems we don't have yet. Just musing it over today.

I think we need to ride out at least one more year before changing it. It's all going to start adding up in a year or two. Having high paid players and getting rookies every year is going to force people to make some tough choices. Even if we did raise it to 20% whoever has David Johnson isn't dropping him. He got a really good grab, but we can't go and change everything based on an individual player (regardless of who it is). Most people seem to be around the $200 mark and once you include the 10% and next years rookies things get tight right there. The following year people are definitely going to have to start dropping either star players or a bunch of average guys.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Funny part is Landon Collins was total trash last year.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
This might be a terrible idea.

For players drafted as rookies we could have a salary scale that can increase based on performance. We'd need to set thresholds and what to jump their salary to, but it's something that could be used to keep "life long star players". It's basically how contracts work in real sports, if a young player does really well their next contract is going to be significantly more expensive than the rookie one was.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Cooks be cookin'.

I wasn't very excited about McCoys meaningless stats game either.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
But drat did Lee look good. I wonder if part of this unkown is because of the injury report changes, or because the media don't follow the defensive players as much because they're typically not associated with fantasy football.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I thought that was really weird they basically didn't play him the second half. He was drat near the only one doing anything in the first half.

I'm pretty happy with their decision.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

I feel good about my future in this league.

That's how I felt last year after getting no where, but having the most points for. I just ran it back and it's working out.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
My team decided it didn't feel like playing this week.

So much for the heady topper.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Swarmin Swedes posted:

If you are still in for shipping I will donate the winnings for heady topper.

Next trip that's made there I'll grab you a four pack. Want focal banger too?

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah I think offseason trades should be allowed.

I would also like to propose a team composition change if that's okay.

I think we should add another Linebacker Slot. Even with 12 people there are a lot of quality LBs out there so that hanging on to one in particular seems pointless. This might just be my bias cause I'm obsessed with IDP but I feel like adding another slot will make the position more meaningful. It would make it so more people would flex positions other than LB as well, again making the position more meaningful, and IDP more meaningful as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

I actually like this idea over messing with the scoring. If you increase demand they might be meaningful to keep.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I sent money anyways. It just got sent.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Keep up this good work and you can drop the ex.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
If we do the draft on a Sunday afternoon/night I'm free any week as far as I can tell. If we're doing Saturdays then I'm not free at all on the 19th.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

OK this is how I interpreted what you said: what's your availability for the 1st?

I wanted to open the league up for transactions after everyone had paid, but we're waiting on Bloody. It might also make sense to hash out any rules changes before people commit to drops/trades, in case that affects their decision making.

e. whoops I see you actually added the 1st for 7pm+ as well, so I'll add that now.

I'm in the Mountain time zone now, FYI.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
A) yes and yes

B) I'd say if a player performs in a top x (maybe top 10?) for his position then we could figure out some way to increase the salary to be in line with a top 10 player. That player should be given the lowest price point for those level of players, because the person who drafted him should get something for making a good pick, but I don't think we want a player locked up for their entire career. I think we should implement something this year, but the rule doesn't take effect until the end of this season so people have a year to adjust for the new rule.

C) I like the idea of C.4, but I'm not set on anything here. I do like the idea of C.5, having rookies and free agents done separate.
So we have several options, please vote:

And that reminds me:
D: yes

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
What are the rookie starting salaries? I can't find it on the rules. Need to make sure I have enough cap space to fit everything.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

True story though I just moved Olsen onto IR, they hadn't designated him as Out yet when I looked yesterday, and I was fiddling around with waiver options and forgot to promote Trub. I mean you outright told me last week you'd be trying to steal him.

My mistake, though, he's there and therefore he's stealable. But I feel also like you're basically intentionally tanking your season at this point, because you could have picked up a waiver wire QB last week and didn't, even after I indicated I was gonna start Deshaun you had saturday waivers to grab glennon or hoyer or somebody. You just want my guys and you're mad at me for hording QBs and you're gonna make me lose another week to keep my rookies.

That's fine. I'll start loving trubisky. I wasn't planning on tanking this season, but I won't be bullied either. I spent my entire draft capital on these rookie QBs, I'm not gonna let them get stolen in the first three weeks.

Now imagine having 5 injured players and no drat room to do poo poo.

I'd like to propose an increase in IR slots for next season. two is the amount for a normal league, we should have 4 or 5 for a dynasty league.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

quote:

I'd like to propose an increase in IR slots for next season. two is the amount for a normal league, we should have 4 or 5 for a dynasty league.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Not sure "stashing" is the proper word. I'm guessing when you say that you're talking about people picking up FAs that are already on the IR. I've got 3 WRs that are on the IR and I've had all of them as long as it was possible to in this league. If a teams injuries start to add up then you've basically eliminated one team from competition as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to drop a really good player because they're injured for 8-16 games. Right now I plan to see if I can wait out all these injures and if not then I'll basically be a free win for anyone I go against. I won't be intentionally trying to lose, but my roster is all tied up. In a normal league I'd just dump them and move on, but it's not.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I'm going for 200, gently caress all of you!

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I'm a no on penalty points too. It'll mostly effect defensive players and make them even less wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Throw on another injury for me. Luckily Adams isn't dead after that blow to his head.