Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The coolest part of Dungeon Meshi is how the ecosystem of the giant Dungeon is and how monsters adapt to it are laid out because I loved reading the old DnD books that dealed with that kind of stuff. The moving armor being a weird kind of clam monster colony inside normal armor instead of 'a Wizard enchanted armor for the lulz' is pretty awesome.

Apparently the armour might not be normal, but instead the mollusc's shell. They each form a little part of it and come together into a colony. Even the swords they use are made the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. This one definitely was a good diversion from just focusing on cooking, and working in backstory (and a death montage, I love those!) and more ways the dungeon creatures work (treasure bugs being mimic parasites, eating the mimic's insides and leaving the chest-shell as a treasure bug hive to trick adventurers into helping them spread to new locations is downright inspired) as well as showing that they may bicker but they still care about each other. A fantastic chapter.

I can't remember if the chapter specified it, but was it a shell that the mimic grows or are mimics just like, a hermit crab style monster that move into existing chests and boxes and such?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Avulsion posted:

One thing I don't like about that series is how he makes such a big deal about people claiming certain skills are useless when the game just came out and no one has had a chance to test them out.

It's pretty normal for MMOs to have open beta tests, so it makes sense for people to know a lot about the game even though it just got a proper release.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

New Delicious Dungeon!

In which we go outside the dungeon to the outer world, and learn some LORE. Yay!

There's only one logical conclusion to a manga where the party tries to eat everything they fight. They're going to eat the immortal sorcerer.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jose posted:

if they don't win by feeding it something i'll be very disappointed

But they already fed it main guy's sister.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JD posted:

The catgirl seems like an early version of the dwarf girl from the other party

Dwarf girl was part of the original party. To me she seems like a mix of both the members that left right at the start, dwarf girl and the samurai, but mixed together and with cat ears.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

It wasn't until now that I realized Senshi's shirt is basically just a burlap sack. Without the beard, it is not a good look.

Meanwhile, Senshi wearing something that isn't a burlap sack and with his hair and beard tidied actually looks pretty good. Too bad it would render him vulnerable to hostile enchantments if he actually cleaned up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mikl posted:

Glad I'm not the only one.

I honestly assumed everyone saw it but didn't want to feel weird bringing it up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pavlov posted:

"Toyota Suzuki is an average otaku highschool student with no particular talents or notable qualities, when one day he's magically transported into his favorite video game! Now he must defend his fated 2D waifu from the forces of evil using his newfound power: setting the difficulty slider really low."

When his amazing abilities prove unable to save his devoted waifu, Toyota Suzuki must take extreme measures to protect what's his...but will bitching to the developers until his opponents are nerfed be enough?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So I just read up to the current chapter, and Kabru is definitely some sort of crazy/sociopath. It's really obvious that his ability to manipulate people is being put on display, and he seems to be capable of killing people with far too little hesitation.

He actually makes a kind of interesting potential antagonist in the sense that he isn't particular powerful in terms of combat (though he's definitely very competent, at least against humanoids). His ability to manipulate people into helping him seems like his biggest strength.

Oh yeah he's sociopathic as gently caress. Also, I get the feeling he's suspicious of Laius and Farlyn because he simply doesn't understand their altruism. When it comes to general adventuring he doesn't suspect people, because he can see they're getting something out of it. When looking at those two giving their money away he gets suspicious because he can't see that they're getting anything out of it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Wh-what has she become??! A sphinx?! She looks like a failed creation of human transmutation alchemy. Oh Farlyn... :ohdear:

This keeps getting better. I was expecting it to end neatly when they revived Farlyn, but man, it keeps ramping up in this lowkey way that I just find so addictive and exciting!

Looks like it's some sort of bird thing. Could be turning into a feathered dragon or something?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In a dungeon where people can be resurrected if you get someone who can do the spell to them soon enough, slitting someone's throat probably counts as pacification. Kill them, resurrect them, toss them in a jail cell.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Is Laius going to want to eat some harpies? He's wanted to eat humanlike monsters before.

is he going to want to eat farlyn

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I am 100% convinced that due to Laius learning some magic from Marcille, he is going to end up as the new mad sorcerer that controls the dungeon after he eats the current one.

edit: Also, vague theory that all dragons are the same species, but develop different based on their environment or some other factor and this is why Farlyn is an avian dragon as opposed to the red dragon she was resurrected using.

Slime fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 16, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Now all I want to know is if the ninja legitimately needed to do the arm chain with the others to get through the blizzard or if she was just loving with them. And if it's the latter, how much entertainment is she getting from the doppelganger antics?

Maybe she wants to properly join their party but is too shy to say it.

ninjas: they're not masters of stealth, they're all just extremely shy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Comedy option for which ones are the real ones: None of them are real. They're all doppelgangers. The party wandered away during the blizzard and the doppelgangers all think that one of the other doppelgangers is the real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Huh. In a previous chapter it implied each copy was an individual doppelganger monster, but then it turned out it was a single monster casting an illusion. Was that a doppelganger, or was it just some other monster imitating a group of doppergangers? A doppelganger of doppelgangers, as it were.