Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nahxela posted:

Oh, yeah, I've been keeping up with that since it was recommended in The Gamer thread!
I really like the touch about how crafting things has that intuitive touch that isn't easily translated between people, even if they're at the same skill level/whatever. The whole experimental discovery process to work out recipes is really cool. I enjoy how it adds flavor and complexity to the whole crafting element

The crafting reminds me of Asheron's Call, an old MMO that required players to craft magical spells to unlock them, and the recipes were unique for each player. Of course someone figured out how the random recipes were generated and made a program to calculate the rest of the spells once you had figured out one or two of them.

One thing I don't like about that series is how he makes such a big deal about people claiming certain skills are useless when the game just came out and no one has had a chance to test them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

So does this mean all the creatures they've been eating still have souls attached to them?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Compendium posted:

I guess it's got even more of that undercurrent w/ generic fantasy people going crazy over Japanese food (kind of how you get that undercurrent of how great Japan is from Thermae Romae, that series where that Roman dude gets his ideas for a bathhouse from visiting modern Japan). Personally, I'd say it's unintentional or at the very least not actively malicious, but it's there regardless since I can imagine the writers behind the stories wouldn't bother researching foods that are from other parts of the world unless it's specifically about different cuisines. That said, it's still kind of a fun thing to read about for myself because they're just framing the perspective of their staples in another way to magnify how great it is

Just never found a problem with it because it's written for a Japanese audience in mind where they'd go, "Hell yeah fried chicken and beer is good, I want some now," while other people would go, "it's not THAT great." So at worst, eye rolling.

Ketchup Ninja is the story of a teenage Ninja who is forced to immigrate to New Jeresey after Japan bans Ninja. She eats too much American junk food and eventually becomes too fat to use her Ninjutsu properly.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Technically, most of her body hasn't been lost, it's just become dragon meat.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
She recognized her brother and Chilchak without prompting, so hopefully there's enough of Farlyn left in there that she won't start trying to eat people.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Mighty Dicktron posted:

A translated artist log from Ryuko Kui including some Dungeon Meshi art notes.

Farlyn wearing Laius' armor is adorable and it looks like she has a lot more planned for the series, so we'll be getting more Dungeon Meshi yet!

:siren: SPOILERS :siren:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
That Samurai is such a deliberately stereotypical japanese protagonist that he even comes with his own harem. Judging by the Dog-man's reaction, the hooded ninja must be a catgirl.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That is A Lot Of Crews!!!

I wonder if there's something weird with the translation, because Kabru making the statement that "those two are not good, honest people" after explaining that they had been duped into giving people who they thought were injured or otherwise infirm free cash is kind of weird.
Or Kabru thought they were in on it or something, but that doesn't come across at all.

Maybe he just can't believe that anyone could be that altruistic. They're only acting nice to cover up their evil schemes.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Squidster posted:

I'm really liking the design for the club-wielding Oni girl ( Oni-chan? Sorry ) and the new crew in general.

She immediately suggests that they cook up the giant snake, and gets shot down by her teammate. I'm guessing she'll join Laius's crew at some point.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Onean posted:

Sword Dad: This one's kind of iffy on being unusual (the guy in the sword is a bit thirsty, though thankfully not towards his wielder, and the other main character starts a slave), but I still like it quite a bit. A man is reincarnated as a magical sword, and before the manga starts has completely wiped the monsters of a region out, making him very powerful. The story isn't about him. It's about a young beast girl slave that picks him up and their journey to her getting strong enough to evolve.

This one wins points for having the best treatment of slavery in an isekai story: the MC meets a slaver and immediately stabs him in the loving face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dog Kisser posted:

And, hey, no creepy sex stuff! At all! That's nice!