Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lmao I don't touch the site ads and lowtax says he didn't change anything. Gonna remove them before I worry about a root cause.

can you post what you find out because i worked with admanager for a couple years (not anymore thankfully) and ive never seen it inject its own ads like this so im professionally curious about what change caused this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FOLK STYLE FISTING
Jan 2, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my man, you might want to remove this

<script data-cfasync="false" type="text/javascript">
var freestar = freestar || {};
freestar.hitTime = Date.now();
freestar.queue = freestar.queue || [];
freestar.config = freestar.config || {};
freestar.debug = window.location.search.indexOf('fsdebug') === -1 ? false : true;
freestar.config.enabled_slots = [];
!function(a,b){var c=b.getElementsByTagName("script")[0],d=b.createElement("script"),e="https://a.pub.network/somethingawful-com";e+=freestar.debug?"/qa/pubfig.min.js":"/pubfig.min.js",d.async=!0,d.src=e,c.parentNode.insertBefore(d,c)}(window,document);
freestar.initCallback = function () { (freestar.config.enabled_slots.length === 0) ? freestar.initCallbackCalled = false : freestar.newAdSlots(freestar.config.enabled_slots) }
</script>

If you want to do header bidding, just set up prebid.js from prebid.org. BTW real time bidding will cause you more problems in user complaints than you're probably expecting.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

FOLK STYLE FISTING posted:

my man, you might want to remove this

<script data-cfasync="false" type="text/javascript">
var freestar = freestar || {};
freestar.hitTime = Date.now();
freestar.queue = freestar.queue || [];
freestar.config = freestar.config || {};
freestar.debug = window.location.search.indexOf('fsdebug') === -1 ? false : true;
freestar.config.enabled_slots = [];
!function(a,b){var c=b.getElementsByTagName("script")[0],d=b.createElement("script"),e="https://a.pub.network/somethingawful-com";e+=freestar.debug?"/qa/pubfig.min.js":"/pubfig.min.js",d.async=!0,d.src=e,c.parentNode.insertBefore(d,c)}(window,document);
freestar.initCallback = function () { (freestar.config.enabled_slots.length === 0) ? freestar.initCallbackCalled = false : freestar.newAdSlots(freestar.config.enabled_slots) }
</script>

If you want to do header bidding, just set up prebid.js from prebid.org. BTW real time bidding will cause you more problems in user complaints than you're probably expecting.

oof, have fun with this type of poo poo Jeffrey.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Google for the past few years has really hated people not seeing ads now that I think of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They're turned off and, uhh, it turns out Google didn't do it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Who did?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

:wow:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRIKESMrds&t=22s

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

It's some google change apparently, I'm hiding them. Will clean it up to make no-ads work or just leave them gone. Sorry.

I’m confused. How did Google make a change the forums ads policy without an admin, but an admin can revert the change?

E: I’m late to ask this question apparently

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
A explanation would be nice. What is freestar?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Putty posted:

Sound familiar?

Freestar: Publisher First.
We combine powerful technology, proprietary data, and best-in-the-business brainpower to seamlessly maximize revenue for hundreds of online publishers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Freestar is a new ad service that lowtax is looking at. I am going to talk to him about how to best do ads here - needless to say I don't think that was it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Putty posted:

ads, and tracking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Freestar is a new ad service that lowtax is looking at. I am going to talk to him about how to best do ads here - needless to say I don't think that was it.

Good luck buddy.

Thanks for all you do around here.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It started with a swimsuit issue lol

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201909/tom-foster/freestar-chris-stark-david-freedman-tempe12-2019-inc5000.html

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Putty posted:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The ads are gone for me. I had grown fond of them. I will miss them, like a friend who faded away after highschool.

Life is pain. :sigh:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, whatever new company Lowtax is talking with about handling ads installed something without taking No-Ads into account. Weird, but only because it's weird he or they would bother in the first place.

Krankenstyle posted:

awww this one had a pretty badass styling tho:

but thanks

What is opdag?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ariong posted:

What is opdag?

About $3.50, same as in town.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ariong posted:

What is opdag?

try me, who knows what you might discover :wink:

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
It was incredible advertising for ublock origin though!

(thanks for being on the ball, admins)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Ariong posted:

So, whatever new company Lowtax is talking with about handling ads installed something without taking No-Ads into account. Weird, but only because it's weird he or they would bother in the first place.

What is opdag?

Nothing much, what’s opdag with you?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I bought noads because of this. I am certainly not alone. Enjoy this spike in your income, Rich, I know you can use it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Tipping $47 on my breakfast order because the cook is really bad at his job and hosed up my waffles. You deserve this buddy. Better luck next time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wrong thread lol

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 23, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

CubanMissile posted:

Nothing much, what’s opdag with you?

Ligma balls!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I am preparing to turn the bottom ads back on. Please give feedback - you can see them right now by logging out, as they are on for unregistered users. I do not want these to make the site unusable and I know there were some issues on mobile - screenshots will help.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

On my laptop, I do not have no-ads (just plat + archives) and everything is working fine

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw some weird numbers at the top of the page but they went away.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

my bottom ads just flared up again

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
e: wrong thread

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Remove them. Now. We paid for No-ads. People will leave this site over this, and not a few.
lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ad about unhelpful QCS posting and losing posting privileges for 6 hours goes to the goatman.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Ad about unhelpful QCS posting and losing posting privileges for 6 hours goes to the goatman.

Owns.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i got got by the goatman ad

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
It's about time a good ad finally showed up on this site

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i got got by the goatman ad

same but only because it's HILARIOUS that Alex Jones got a DWI

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's what I get for clicking on this stupid bullshit

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

unironically love that I got goatse'd by the gdpr cookie thing and thats how i found out why his picture was going around everywhere. very effecient