Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luvcow posted:

GBS is an embarrassment and drives people away, people I know that used to post here think there is nothing left here worthwhile and a quick glance at the GBS front page easily confirms that for most people (ie threads about hating retarded people, hating fat people, outright racism, rape jokes etc.) GBS is constantly trying to be fyad and they are predictably terrible at it.

Of course there are still hidden gems on the forums but GBS needs a mass cleansing of assholes that I don't think anyone is willing to do because it mind end up permabanning 90% of the people left here.

Also thank you lowtax and I'm sorry your site has fallen so far :(
I don't understand how it can be both "well, we have reddit to compete with now" and "well, GBS is full of bigots and terrible idiots". how can it be both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anne frank fanfic posted:

chagre 4.99 money for the app for ios and android. give half to the people who developed it. (gently caress GBS) get John Dongle, inventor of the stock market, to do an ask tell since we're a forum of 54 year old IT professionals making 100k and interested in finance and new crossfit exercises
incidentally no-ads is $5 and the android version doesn't display ads

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Puppy Galaxy posted:

you guys the bad ads came from the top of the site. those were ads that sometimes infected people's computers with malware, or had auto redirects if you were on mobile things, or pop ups or pop unders or crashed your browser. the ads on the bottom are just animated gifs or jpegs that link to threads or websites.

i truly, sincerely hope this helps.
I'm pretty sure all the people who are calling out aggro-gator by name clicked on their ads because they thought they were going to see boobs and got sent to amazon instead and they're really upset about it

They want to get rid of aggro-gator because if they see those ads again they're going to click on it because they're really stupid and that's just going to make them even madder

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

I've been on work assignment, so I haven't had a chance. And I like being able to use a web browser instead of a special app.

Besides:
This sounds like a personal problem.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

Most one-site apps are bad, but awful.app is good, but "use an unofficial third-party app" isn't a thing the pigman could or should be recommending, but we use it because it works.
Also, both Awful.apk and Something.apk don't have ads at all, but it seems like most goons who use android require extreme edge cases and need the browser for everything.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
$10 for an account seems pretty open to me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could change Archives access from a 30 dollar flat fee to like $5 or $10 a month, since archives take up a lot of server space and work.
This but with noads

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

can't post new threads w/ app
1) Depends on which app
2) That's a feature

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If it doesn't load an ad do you not get paid?
That's how it works

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Just tried it on safari on an iPad, and it's one of those ads that appears at the bottom of the screen (the one that hijacks the browser).

EDIT: maybe not
If you jump to the conclusion that a gif can and will "hijack the browser" then you have some big problems and probably can't be relied upon to provide any kind of analysis

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I must be reading the good content because I have yet to see one of these latest fullscreen hijack ads

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nevvy Z posted:

I have no ads but this post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792470&userid=111262#post465818824

has an ad embedded in it.

I quoted the post here but it didnt show up.
Are you talking about this banner image?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I really don't think that's the forums doing that to you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

trying to jack off posted:

i didnt know where to post it but is this goon ad just an amazon referral where they get money if some clicks it then buys something?
I tried clicking on that image and it didn't do anything. Hope this helps.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's still $5, but I'd imagine people want to support the forums by whitelisting SA on their adblocker.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Smythe posted:

Until the issue is resolved, I guess I'm advising you to:

install adguard, netguard, or any other adblock app. I'm not a IT guy and cannot speak for the quality of any particular third party app.

OR install the Awful App which works great, from here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp&hl=en

or the iOS version, here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awful-sa-forums-browser/id567936609?mt=8

I hope to resolve the bad ads asap, apologies.
Purchasing no-ads also works, in case people are leaving their adblockers off on the forums because they want to support the forums

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The worst part of no-ads is it removes the sideanimals pictures also

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

Chrome's built in obnoxious-ad-block doesn't go live until the 15th of February, apparently. (Ars Technica; TW: a Condé Nast joint)
I'm the guy who trusts an adblocker made by the world's largest advertising company

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

Then take it out on Blue Train, who actually brought up doing such a thing, or put forth your actual grievance with me (in like PMs or something).

Seriously, you have nothing better to do than follow me around the Forums?
what

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I am getting REAL GODDAMN SICK of these redirecting ads telling me I won an iPhone or some poo poo!

I am trying to read the SAS reactions to yesterday’s Virginia/UMBC upset and I can hardly read a single loving post because this retarded poo poo has force-redirected me SEVEN loving TIMES IN TEN MINUTES!!!!!

I’m using Safari on iPad but I don’t think the browser matters.

Here’s some pics. This is the popup and the ads that display along with it. I don’t always see the ads when this happens so there’s possibly more.

This last ad has popped up at least five of those seven times in ten minutes. It’s making it impossible to read anything.

All of these ads lead to this page. The page is always the same, but the URL changes constantly and I bet there’s more of them than what’s shown below.

Somebody better fix this poo poo pronto because it’s starting to make the forums unreadable. In the meantime I’ll probably just burn some money on the No Ads feature (which I used to have but it disappeared for some reason).
Did you buy no-ads before April 4, 2015?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

boop the snoot posted:

that doesn't the solve the problem of ads existing on this site that hijack your browser

it should be "pay $x for ad free" instead of "pay $x to prevent your browser from getting hijacked"
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure you lose no-ads and plat and archives once you get banned. I don't have an excuse for the rest of the stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mycophobia posted:

who seriously doesnt use an adblocker these days
Looks like people on their phones

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bedlamdan posted:

Oh hey, so it looks like the QQcs thread for discussing this was straight up deleted, rather than just gassed or closed. Mods, just let us know if you would rather we just stop giving a poo poo about this stuff, god knows I've already been on the case for a while now. :thumbsup:
Pretty sure the offensive banner ads are gone too :shrug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AkumaHokoru posted:

One of the ads seems to be trying to run javascript? I keep getting a request for a file installation. tag.js from s.thebrighttag.com
Any idea?
Welcome to the 21st century

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stexils posted:

if kiwifarms had a thread that was "let's keep getting lowtax banned from twitter" that reported all his posts he would absolutely take the ads down, but he won't when other people lose their jobs and get mobs of internet psychos sicced on them for no reason
Is there any evidence that this thread does not exist

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I can't think of more kiwifarms worthy behavior than thinking up stupid conspiracy theories why Lowtax won't do what you want to immediately and assigning the worst motivations out of whole cloth possible, maybe you doomsayers should all go there.
I can't either, but that's just because I don't fantasize about what is or isn't behavior I might encounter on the kiwifarms website.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if lowtax took down the kiwi farms ads or if they ran their course but there aren't any kiwi farms ads in the adlist right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Underhill posted:

Love you SA but this:

...this isn't cool. My girlfriend walked by and then did a :stare: and slowly backed out of the room.

(I know there's a smiley for that but I can't find it).

Anyway, yeah, kind of scared to open SA again.

They're up there as I type.

It's not cool, SA. I don't want to adblock you.

:stare:
Don't worry, they show up even with uBlock Origin turned on.