Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
World Cup Odds Right Now

New Zealand : 6/5
Wales : 7/1
Ireland : 7/1
England : 7/1
South Africa : 8/1
Australia : 16/1
Scotland : 22/1
Argentina : 33/1
France : 33/1
USA : 500/1
Italy : 500/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vagabundo posted:

The big threats from the NH were supposed to be England and Ireland, but it's like they're wilting as they get closer to the tournament.

They both have very soft groups for Pool Stages, and unless there are any massive upsets, the projected knockout stages are :

-

England
Australia

New Zealand
Scotland / Japan

Wales
France / Argentina

Ireland
South Africa

-

England would have a loving ROUGH path to the finals, only to end up playing one of two teams that they regularly lose to.

Ireland (or Wales) are set up for a really nice run, where they can waltz through the group stages, rest their players for two matches, and then have to beat South Africa, before facing The Last Boss, New Zealand.

If England bottle it at any point, then New Zealand have the easiest World Cup run in their history.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Christ... my brain must have blanked that.

HOW COULD YOU FORGET ABOUT BRAVE ENGLAND AT A TIME LIKE THIS, THE RUGBY WORLD CUP, THE TIME WHEN WE MUST ALL COME TOGETHER AND BELIEVE IN OUR BRAVE, ENGLISH UNDERDOGS!! GOD BLESS THEM AND MAY GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THESE ADVERTS.

CMON IN-GER-LAAAAAND.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Communist Bear posted:

So can we expect Vunipola to be sacked/removed or is English rugby going to ignore that he's a clear oval office?

Despite winning, Saracens had an absolute NIGHTMARE of a day, and there's no way English rugby can ignore it, because it's incredibly visible.

* Vunipola was boo'd every time he had the ball.

* At one point, someone ran onto the pitch, for the sole purpose of confronting Vunipola, and actually managed to get face to face with him, before security intervened.

* Saracens sold 15,000 tickets, which is less than 50% of the stadium capacity, for a European semi-final. 3,000 ticket holders didn't attend the game, and Munster's (away) supporters outnumbered Saracens (home) supporters by a ratio of more than 2 to 1.

* After the match, Vunipola was given a post-match interview, and thus a chance to apologize. His only response was to insist that "I'm allowed to believe in what I believe in", and to deflect the question.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I drive past it every week, so expect a Trip Report!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Hell Awaits Rugby World Cup Referees

Nic Berry (Australia)
Angus Gardner (Australia)
Wayne Barnes (England)
Luke Pearce (England)
Jérôme Garcès (France)
Romain Poite (France)
Pascal Gaüzère (France)
Mathieu Raynal (France)
Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand)
Paul Williams (New Zealand)
Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Nigel Owens (Wales)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Leaving out Ben Whitehouse, John Lacey and Joy Neville is also kind of unfathomable, but the IRB seem really concerned with maintaining a glass ceiling for referees at major international competitions.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Sorry that is absolute tokenism, no male ref with her level of experience would be in the discussion.

Ok? I'm not 100% sure how tokenism works, or even how the selection process works, but World Rugby did recently declare that Joy Neville was The Best Referee In The World.

I hope you understand that it seems a little weird to see World Rugby's Best Referee In The World refereeing Norway vs Denmark, while 19 others are at the World Cup?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

:siren: Rugby World Cup Goon Squad :siren:

We have around 3 months to put together a tournament thread, to hopefully convince the rational, sport-watching population of SAS that Rugby is good, and cool, and that the rules actually makes some kind of sense!

Thanks to Jerusalem and FallingDownJoe, we have an awesome thread to work with, and right now, we're looking for posters who are happy to Adopt A Country.

We plan to give the countries out at random (because it's funnier that way), and posters to keep us up to date on how their country is doing, leading up to a during the tournament. It's up to you to let the thread know which squad they select, which amazing players we should watch out for, what kind of popular native alcoholic drink you drink while watching your adopted country play Rugby, and of course, you'll need to tell us why your country will definately beat Scotland.

If you want to Adopt A Country, please post indicating so, and we'll add you to the draw. If there are any countries that you specifically do not want to adopt (for example, you almost certain wouldn't want to end up adopting your actual nationality, or somehow end up having to support England), please list those countries in your post!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Keen to adopt a country

There 6 countries left in the pot, and the 3 "most interesting" ones are still open.

I'll leave it open for another few days, but if anyone wants follow a second country in addition to your ACTUAL NEW LEGALLY DESIGNATED RUGBY NATIONALITY, I can wrangle things to make sure that you write about 2 countries playing in different groups :)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

To countdown the last 100 days until the World Cup, Rugby World Magazine has published a list of it's Top 100 Players In The World, and it's kinda weird.

-

20: James Ryan (Ireland)

19: Jonathan Davies (Wales)

18: Jamie George (England)

17: Alex Goode (England)

16: Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

15: Ardie Savea (New Zealand)

14: Peceli Yato (Fiji)

13: Faf de Klerk (South Africa)

12: Billy Vunipola (England)

11: Pauline Bourdon (France)

10: Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)

9: Viliame Mata (Fiji)

8: Finn Russell (Scotland)

7: Ben Smith (New Zealand)

6: Owen Farrell (England)

5: Liam Williams (Wales)

4: Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)

3: Mako Vunipola (England)

2: Beauden Barrett (New Zealand)

1: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Lots have been drawn. 3 countries are unadopted, but I'm happy to do write-ups for them :)

stavros880 posted:

I'll adopt one of the remaining countries. The more inept the better.

You're going to loving LOVE the next 3 months of your life!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Goon World Cup 2019

If you need me to re-assign you a new country, because you've accidentally been assigned your former (birth) country, speak up!

If you want me to re-assign you a new country, because your new country is scheduled to play against your former (birth) country, then tough poo poo. Your old country sucked, and that's why you decided to switch to [New Country]. VIVA LA [NEW COUNTRY]!

-

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

They explain it here :

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/06/17/conferences-confirmed-for-2019-20-2020-21-guinness-pro14-seasons/

It's kind of dumb, and they openly admit that the groups are unbalanced, in order to "make sure each union is correctly represented"

-

In brighter news, multi-millionaire Israel Folau is crowdfunding $3.0m, so that he doesn't have to pay for his own pointless legal battle against the nasty men who said he couldn't play Rugby anymore.

https://au.gofundme.com/Israel-folau-legal-action-fund

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Paddy "she was enjoying it" Jackson somehow has a contract for 2020, and I've seen Bees Roux play in The Pro 14 without anyone batting an eyelid.

I can see him playing in England or France, and being touted as a great comeback story :(

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Do we make our effort posted about our beloved adopted countries here or will we be making a RWC thread?

Make them here when final squads get announced? :)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

... Are there even 6 premiership-quality clubs in Scotland?

Hawick
Watsonians
Melrose
?
?
?

Are they just going to Regionalize everything into :

Warriors B
Edinburgh B
Stirling
Hawick / Melrose
Ayr
... Haddington?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

goatface posted:

AYR, BOROUGHMUIR, HERIOT'S, MELROSE, STIRLING COUNTY AND WATSONIANS

According to the header of that article

Oh, wow. So, it's teams full of retired Welsh professionals vs teams of Scottish schoolchildren?

(3 of those clubs are literally Edniburgh college teams.)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Japan have revealed their jersey for the RWC and it looks loving awesome.

In keeping with the rugby tradition of "New Zealand Are The Best At Everything"..

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The jerseys are up for order on the official webite, along with lots of other tat, from your country of choice.

https://shop.rugbyworldcup.com/

I'm probably not going to be able to resist buying the baseball cap that just says "Ueeruzu" on the back of it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The England shirt is completely white, except for a patch announcing that they won the 2003 World Cup sewn onto the shoulder.

gently caress England.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bessantj posted:

The Welsh jersey comes with the stench of failure :(

Yeah! I'm really glad that I'm Italian, now!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Super Rugby was so boring this year no one even commented on the final.

I missed it, because I was playing in a tournament at a Rugby / Drum n Bass festival.

At half time, someone ran onto the pitch to hand me a water bottle and a spliff :shepface:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Stitecin posted:

Exactly. Minimum weight 225 pounds (102ish kg).

Cancel the World Cup, televise this instead.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Lol are Wales really world no 1 now !?

Unless Wales manage to Scotland in their friendly against England?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I’d like the IRB to clarify if Wales are even the best team in Wales.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

It's crazy how many of the 1st-tier nations look "scary as gently caress" to play against, right now.

This is going to be a super exciting World Cup for me.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Finally! A Shirt that we can wear to both the Rugby match AND to the Fetish Club afterwards!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

TLDR : If Scotland win the World Cup, George Foreman will kill himself?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

World Cup Thread

Ok goons, a lot of the squads are out, so my plan is to have the new thread ready to post on the 15th September, and then keep to high effort posting for the first few days, before the tournament starts, and we all turn to poo poo-posting :neckbeard:

If you have adopted a new country to write about / support / lovingly tattoo onto your body, then please send me a write-up via PMs or via email (awfultyma@gmail.com). Let me know which 3 dudes you want me to use in the header image (If you don't specify, then I usually use the captain, fly-half and most likely try scorer)

-

Example Writeup

As of writing, Wales are officially The Best Team In The World. They reached this incredible achievement, by beating a series of 13 “kind of bad” teams. Basically, the rugby equivalent of reaching the maximum level in World Of Warcraft, by sitting in one spot for over 2 years, and killing a never ending supply of level 1 boars.

When it comes to playing against “kind of good” teams, Wales have a horrible history against Southern Hemisphere teams. The last World Cup saw them knocked out by Australia and South Africa, before going on a lovely Summer Tour of New Zealand, where they lost all 5 games, and were humiliated by a club side. They also tend to lose whenever they have to play a game at any altitude above sea level.

.. But they are still The Best Team In The World, honestly!

Captaining Wales this time around will be Alun Wyn Jones. He's basically an android, that's built to play Rugby. He can jump, he can catch, he can tackle someone in such a way that they have to leave the pitch for the remainder of the game. The only thing Alun Wyn struggles with is comprehending the emotions of the weak humans that he must play rugby against. He's definitely someone you should be supporting if you're already a fan of Kimi Raikonen, Data from Star Trek, or you just enjoy watching post-match interviews where he stares grumpily at a wall, and refuses to answer any questions.

Wales' second key player is probably fly-half Dan Biggar. Unlike his captain, Dan Biggar has a lot of strong emotions, and he's constantly exhibiting one of them with all of the tact and calm of a bad guy in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Dan's emotions of choice are anger, confusion, determination and frustration. He became a running meme in the previous World Cup, when Youtube realized that kicking penalties made him really nervous, and the only way to sufficiently calm down was to perform an elaborate dance routine in the middle of the pitch.

If you plan to follow Wales this year, then get prepared for a loving roller-coaster. Despite being The Best Team In The World, most bookmakers don't have them in the top 5. Without any superstar try scorers, or fancy tricks in the bag, Wales are powered by an incredible fitness routine, an unbreakable defense, a stirring national anthem, and the fear of what Alun Wyn Jones will do to anyone who dares to gently caress this one up.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bessantj posted:

God I forgot I agreed to do this, time to find out what Japanese rugby is all about. Also can you change it to Alun-Wyn Jones? I've seen far too many people call him Wyn-Jones and to be honest it's starting to trigger me.

Where does it say that? I'm not sure why anyone would hyphenate it, Wyn is just a really common middle name.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I think every nation and every write-up should share the honor of holding the title of The Best Team In The World.

Except Scotland.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I can write about the time Jeff Hassler quit rugby, so that he could become a sailor, and then DM'd me on Facebook, to try and sell me his motorbike.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bigfoot again posted:

Is there going to be a new thread for the World Cup?

Coming this week. I'm waiting on around 6 contributors to send me their team write-ups.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Scotland's literal best player, David Denton retires, age 29 :psyduck:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49712831

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bigfoot again posted:

I just remembered how good The Rugby Thread was.

It was really really good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899070