Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FALCONS BITCH HAHAHAHAHA EAT IT BIG TEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Can we go back in time to the thread where we were discussing what great additions to the Big 10 Maryland and Rutgers were?

All that fancy new TV revenue is helping teams like Maryland pay us to show up and beat them. It's great :toot:

E: Actually, to be fair, I don't know if we scheduled this game before or after they joined.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

Brett McMurphy
@McMurphyESPN
Wow. Notre Dame wins last-second thriller at Virginia on 3rd anniversary of Lennay Kekua’s death

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ty1990 posted:

So that should have been one of the most memorable wins for Notre Dame of the past decade but Malik's injury puts a huge damper on things.

That said, I'm not ready to throw the towel in on the season yet. Deshone Kizer was a big time recruit a few years ago. Maybe ND will get lucky and he'll step up.

He has a gun of an arm and he'll do well. This probably doesn't kill their season but the odds of getting to the playoffs are a lot longer now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chieves posted:

Cmon Iowa State and OU, please make the Big XII look competent, smdh.

The MAC is the only conference that matters, hth

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

THat's why Northwestern/Ball State is Under the Lights.

Exactly!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

props to the guy at the Northwestern/Eastern Illinois game in the EIU Tony Romo jersey

drat that's awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Really cool story from today's Kent State game

ESPN posted:

April Goss finally got her chance and kicked her way into history.

A four-year member of Kent State's team, Goss kicked an extra point in the first half of her team's 45-13 rout of Delaware State, becoming the second woman to score in a major college football game.

Wearing No. 91, Goss made the kick with 4:30 left in the second quarter, giving the Golden Flashes a 29-6 lead. Following the touchdown, starting kicker Shane Hynes initially went on the field, but coach Paul Haynes called a timeout and brought in Goss.

Her kick veered right off the hold, but cleared the crossbar and she was mobbed by her teammates. Once Goss got to the sideline, she shared hugs with all of Kent State's coaches and was congratulated by university president Dr. Beverly Warren.

Katie Hnida kicked a pair of extra points for New Mexico in 2003. According to STATS LLC, Goss, who was a soccer player in high school before deciding to try football, appears to be the only woman currently on a Division I roster.

Haynes had been trying to get Goss into a game for the past two seasons. Before her historic kick, the closest she came was making the game-winning extra point in the 2014 spring game.

Earlier this week, Haynes had high praise for Goss.

"She works her tail off. She's the first one out there in practice and the last one off the field," he said. "Every time someone gets up and talks, one of our players gets up and talks, they always talk about they've got brothers, and a sister."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Serious goddamn video game numbers from our offense today

BGSU Athletics posted:

Bowling Green ran 105 plays and outgained Maryland, 692-341. The 692 yards of total offense is the most under head coach Dino Babers. The 48 points is tied for the most under Babers. The Falcons also outgained Maryland on the ground, 201-156.

Redshirt-senior quarterback Matt Johnson completed 36-of-55 passes for 491 yards and six touchdowns. The 491-mark ranks second in school history, while his six touchdown tosses ties a school record. Johnson also became the first Falcon to throw for over 400 yards in back-to-back games, as he threw for 424 last Saturday (Sept. 5) vs. Tennessee.

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

momtartin posted:

BGSU looked scary on offense yesterday. If that's what we look like when our offense clicks, then drat, it's gonna be an awesome season. Our defense was better than it was last game, and we didn't really get destroyed this time. Granted Maryland is a bottom tier Big Ten team, and UT is supposedly pretty good, so we'll have time to see. There is no team in the MAC that can handle this kind of offense, so if we can have the defense continue to improve and clean up the stupid penalties (I'm not even gonna mention the Special Teams right now), I can see another MAC title on the way.

Matt Johnson is going to break the single season record for passing this year for the school easily at this rate, and might have a shot for the NCAA record, as long as he stays healthy. Had he been our QB last year, we probably would have won the MAC again. Coppet/Greene are a nice thunder/lightning punch as well.

Memphis will be a challenge next week, but hopefully after two games on the road, we can put up a good fight. Purdue after that, and they're not that great either. If we can come out of this OOC schedule as 2-2, both wins against the B10, I'll be thrilled.

Yay, the other BG fan :toot:

Yeah Matt Johnson looked out of his mind, and Lewis has been completely spectacular as a receiver. If they could get even a modicum of kick coverage I'd be really thrilled.

Memphis can Run The Dang Ball really well and they've had a very solid defense the last couple years. Still, if it comes down to it, I like us in a track meet. 2-2 out of the first 4 weeks would be great. If we somehow went 3-1 I'd be blown away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CoronaryBypass posted:

Does Pitt have a good defense or is Akron just that bad on the offensive side? I know they didn't do anything against Oklahoma which looks to have a really good defense this year.

Little of column A, little of column B. Pitt being coached by Narduzzi means they're going to be defense-first. Akron's been in flux under Terry Bowden. They upset Pitt last year, and in 2013 took Michigan to the brink, but they've never seemed to really figure an offense out. Their D isn't half bad, all things considered.

E: BG's first touchdown against Maryland was on a spin-o-rama shovel pass. lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Technically, wouldn't he be second.

Beckman was fired right before the first game.

E: I guess it depends on whether you want to consider the practice week leading up to the first game as "in season" or not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's at least one thing on ESPN.com worth following, and it's the "Drawing Conclusions" from freelance artist Chris Morris. Theyr'e great and a lot of them have really good av potential

Week 2:

Week 1:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

Oh man, this right here...

Yeah that's about perfect

E: One of you jaded Vols fans needs that sad Smokey as an av

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also of note:

Ivan Maisel posted:

Toledo’s victory at Arkansas coupled with Bowling Green’s rout at Maryland on Saturday give the MAC 24 wins over Power 5/Big East teams from 2010 to the present. The MAC has beaten eight different Big Ten programs. Northern Illinois takes a four-year streak of Power 5 victories into No. 1 Ohio State on Saturday. Maybe the Huskies extend the streak against Boston College a week later.

MACtion, bitch :radcat:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

Thanks for capturing this. I let out a tremendous "OOHHHHH poo poo" when that happened.

Also why the gently caress is FSU/BC a Friday game? :psyduck:

National TV. Saturday night is going to have Stanford/USC and Bama/Ole Miss in primetime. There's basically no way FSU/BC was ever going to get top billing over those two.

E: And Georgia Tech/ND gets the big afternoon slot.
E2: Might ahve been a saturday game if it was at FSU or Winston was still there, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let's put cards on the table here: outside of FSU and Clemson, there's really nobody in the ACC that's going to garner much national attention, so their choices are likely either to play a game on Friday night and get national TV, or play in the Saturday Noon death slot on a regional carrier nobody's going to watch. Teams and schools are going to take the option of national TV 10 times out of 10.

Trust me, I'm a fan of a MAC team :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I assume that nation will actually be eagerly tuning into Big Ten Network to watch the shootout between Iowa and Pitt.

Well poo poo, I know I will!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eastern Michigan winning on the road vs. Wyoming was their first non-conference road win in 27 years. :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There is a twitter battle going on between Miami(OH) and Cincinnati with their upcoming rivalry game this week

Specifically, between their respective video departments :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eastern Michigan sellin' beer, yall!

EMU Athletics posted:

Be sure to get to #TheFactory Saturday, Sept. 19 as EMU Football hosts Ball State at 3 p.m.

BEER will be sold from Ann Arbor Brewing Company on the patio of Rynearson Stadium. 21 and over only, $7 per 16 oz beer, limit two per person. Please have a valid license ready to present upon entry. Beer will not be admitted outside the patio.

Lots and tailgating open at Noon. We celebrate our Hall of Fame inductees at this game, and welcome area High School Bands. TUTG begins at 12:30 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's the era of Ohio State with special guest: Michigan State. Outside of that it's still laughable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ann Arbor Brewing Company is supposed to be pretty good stuff too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

This could be said about most P5 conferences but I'm not even sure if some are that deep this season.

Fair point but the gap in the Big Ten between the top team and everyone else may as well be the Grand Canyon. SEC and Big 12 seem to mostly have a collection of good-to-decent teams in comparison to one-another, and the ACC has 3 solid teams in FSU, Clemson and Ga State. The B1G is incredibly lopsided.

E: I would have thought the Big 12 was 2 teams followed by a mess but now Oklahoma's looking a little better than expected.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I would have thought the Pac-12 would have been the most stacked conference, top to bottom, but Stanford and Oregon both looked rough out of the gate, then Arizona State seemed to take a step back as well. Balance of power there is still firmly in the P12 South but this is shaking out to be a pretty weird season so far.

Not that I mind weird at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VDay posted:

People sure seem to be down on Oregon after they lost an away game by 3 to a top 5 team with a quarterback who's been there for a month.

Yeah I might have been a bit harsh. Oregon is still likely going to be a very solid team, but when they give up 42 to an FCS team (a pretty good one, to be fair) and get contained well against Sparty, it's also clear they're not last year's team. They have a pretty manageable schedule from this point on though, and if they win out they're definitely still in playoff contention.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao goddamn

he did a great job to catch that and still hand it off

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat yeah those helmets are legit as gently caress

E: Here have another FCS move, except it owned

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fun with early season stats: right now BC averages 1.5 points against per game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Great stuff from EDSBS

quote:

YOU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS. We are officially one year away from Tennessee playing Virginia Tech in the middle of a dang racetrack. I feel like we should already be there, camped out in a good spot and roasting a pig or something. HOKIEBIRD PLAY THAT THRASH MUSIC. I SHALL CARRY YOU TO VOLHALLA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Raku posted:

the next shoe to drop is Northern Illinois exposing Ohio State

God willing

MAC is currently 1-4 vs. the B1G, upcoming games:

NIU @ OSU
Kent @ Minnesota
BG @ Purdue
CMU @ MSU
Ohio @ Minnesota
WMU @ OSU
Ball State @ N'Western

Only likely win for the MAC out of those is BG vs. Purdue, and Ohio and Ball State could possibly catch Minnesota and Northwestern in trap games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

Finally got around to watching highlights of Oregon-MSU and I came away a little bit puzzled as to how that's a "statement win" for MSU. Vernon Adams's inaccuracy throughout the game (is he just that bad of a passer or was it the busted finger?) had a lot more to do with the outcome than anything MSU did imo.

To call it a "statement win" is a bit bigger picture than that. It's a solid win over a top 10 (OK, early season polls and all, but still) team, and that's the only game that's going to matter for them until November 21st when they play Ohio State. They're in the same problem as Ohio State, where their schedules, save the Oregon game, are complete garbage until they play one another, so they've got to take what they can get at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SourKraut posted:

This is what I was trying to say last week. ASU was vastly overrated to start the season because Todd Graham talked up the team well and a lot of people jumped on the ASU bandwagon but given that Todd Graham only jumps off the wagon (and onto another) you'd think people would have learned by now...

I wonder where his wife will have family next

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Bielema on Twitter today:

Can universities enact lawful gag orders?

I mean, he's not wrong, but he's about the last person that needs to be raising that point right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So was Patterson to Texas basically what Dave Brandon was to Michigan?

also this is phenomenal

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat :stare: I'd only heard bits and pieces of stories.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm so glad this is back :allears:

quote:

Just because they're called Bowling Green doesn't mean you're supposed to see if they can get to 300, Maryland.

YEAH BG SHOUTOUT :woop:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god hahahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Per FB Scoops and Eleven Warriors, OSU's OC/OLine coach Ed Warinner now has a base salary of $600,000, up from $364,000 when he was just OLine coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Since it's starting to get out there now, I'll give the full rumor on Carroo. I do NOT have reputable knowledge, this is just what is going around.

Supposedly he was having an affair with a Rutgers recruiting "hostess". After the game on Saturday, this hostess ran into Carroo's mother and girlfriend, and they got into an altercation outside of the athletics center. Carroo learned of it, and sprinted out of the locker room. The hostess attacked Carroo's mother, and Carroo responded by slamming the hostess into the ground.

holy poo poo :stare:

• Locked thread