Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU played about the game I expected against Liberty -- a little messy, not as crisp or focused as we were last week, but nothing terrible. The red zone offense got better as the game went along, but short yardage runs and timing needs to get better. Glad we have a week off before Maryland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Genuinely not trolling since I'm using proper spelling and caps and poo poo: Sparty has to be considered a playoff contender along with Ohio State at this point. If Clemson gets tripped up, Oregon has a couple more missteps and either the Pac-12 South/SEC eats themselves, I don't think it's completely implausible that both Buckeye and Sparty can get in, provided their game ends up being within a single possession and not utter dogshit.

It's a lot of circumstances that need to come together, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Only Baylor/TCU can also make that argument right now.

I don't think anyone would argue with you on that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

Thank you Michigan State for disposing of the perennial fraud Oregon Ducks :)

:goonsay:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Andichu's Top 25

1. Ohio State – Looked almost mortal, but still very good.
2. TCU – Poor Stephen A Austin
3. Bama – Also looked Mortal
4. Michigan State – Help us Sparty, You’re Our Only Hope
5. Georgia Tech – Once again did what they’re supposed to.
6. UGA – They looked hilariously inept versus Vanderbilt, but maybe that was just overlooking them?
7. FSU – Took care of business versus an improved USF team.
8. USC – I feel like this is almost by default.
9. Baylor – Their defense is horrid.
10. Oklahoma – Big Game Bob Stoops is Back Baby
11. UCLA – I still don’t think they’re very good.
12. LSU – Next week vs Barner should be interesting. :twisted:
13. Ole Miss – Once again did what good teams do and did everything they’re supposed to do.
14. Oregon – There’s no real threat to them in the Pac-12 North and could still easily finish 10-2 or 11-1 and in the hunt for a playoff berth.
15. Clemson – The Other Tigers have one more tune up game against Louisville before they GT and ND
16. Arizona – Still sloppier than they should be, but seems to be chugging along nicely.
17. Notre Dame – Struggled versus UVA and lost Zaire for the year. Will need to find answers quickly.
18. A&M – At this point, I don’t think there’s any real difference in where the next several teams are slotted
19. Utah – Looked a little sloppy again, but closed out in what could have been a trap game.
20. BYU – gently caress Boise Now and Forever
21. WVU – Looked sloppy versus Liberty at times, now have a week off before Maryland.
22. Northwestern – I love scrappy little guys with J-schools
23. Temple – Hootie Hoo
24. Boston College– Seriously
25. Wisconsin – ‘Cause why not.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Still not sure what Arkansas losing at home to Toledo means for the TTU game next week...

angry brett beliema

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raku posted:

Agreed except Georgia Tech should have TCUs spot

TCU beat a Power 5 opponent on the Road and GT has not played a Power 5 Opponent.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 13, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I haven't had coffee yet you nerd balls. YOu know what I meant.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

witz posted:

Tom Murphy's AP ballot...

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll-voter/tom-murphy

Good for laughs.

Aahahah aoh god it is

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Strobe posted:

K-State currently with the best scoring defense in the country. :toot:

Patiently waiting to be ranked next week after holding LA Tech to a field goal and ending the preseason with a grand total of 2 PPG allowed.

K-State ain't gonna be ranked next week.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

And Penn State is a touchdown favorite and growing.

Congratulations Kyle Flood, well on your way to being the first coach fired in season this year.

It was.

Darius Hamilton is AWESOME (and has been hurt the past two weeks), and then there's Kemoko Turay and Steve Longa. Our running game is really good too, or it was least with Carroo as a threat to go insane every play.

Technically, wouldn't he be second.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Beckman was fired right before the first game.

E: I guess it depends on whether you want to consider the practice week leading up to the first game as "in season" or not.

There was an FCS game in the books already!

:goonsay:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Coco13 posted:

That's Labor Day weekend right? With LSU-Wisconsin at Lambeau, USC-Bama and like 6 more games that would otherwise headline a Saturday.

Yep, and Missouri-WVU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Congrats, Longhorn goons

http://www.hookem.com/story/breaking-steve-patterson-expected-out-as-texas-athletic-director/

E: Huh, totally missed or forgot that Texas got Shaka Smart.

Ahahahahahahaha

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Bring back Mack as AD

Mack would actually be a pretty good AD, but think if you're Charlie Strong that'd be a weeeeeeeee bit uncomfortable.

Of course, I think this only intensifies the pressure on Strong to begin with and I wouldn't be completely surprised to see him leave at the end of the season.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

If by leave you mean "gets fired after going 2-10" I agree

I wasn't determining how he left :colbert:

Shame too, I think he's a good coach, just a terrible fit for Texas. (And, I hate to say I told Texas so but,)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Steve Pederson is available

E: Um

@BruceFeldmanCFB
Source tells @FoxSports "Not sure it'll go thru, but there will be a big push for Mack (Brown) to become the next AD at #Texas."

He really would be a solid choice, but I think that be super weird for Strong.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DuckHuntDog posted:

I really like Strong and I am not sure he is a terrible fit, and he could definitely develop the program given time. A really good OC would have helped, though. I would like to think Mack would make a great AD and also would be mostly supportive of Strong, but it would absolutely be weird for both.

He had a good OC. Like Watson was incredibly successful at Louisville.

I think the problem for Strong is exactly what I said would doom him when they hired him: he does not have the personality you need to be a coach at Texas. Texas needs basically a guy like Mack who likes to hang out with the boosters and talk tot he media. Strong just wants to coach football and be left alone.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Watson was incredibly successful at eating clock, keeping the defense off the field, not turning the ball over, and scoring enough points to win if the defense played lights-out. He did turn Teddy Bridgewater in to an awesome QB who could run that pro-style/West Coast offense. He gets credit for that. But that philosophy is not going to work in the Big 12. Look at Gary Patterson. There's another defensive-minded coach who had success in a lesser conference before finding himself in the Big 12. He tried to stick to his old ways and led the conference in defense for 2 years while losing a ton of games. Once he abandoned the idea of playing defense on both sides of the ball and started playing Texas-style offense, he suddenly had one of the better teams in the country. The best defense in the Big 12 will never be able to hold the best offenses down, no matter how much you dominate TOP. You must be able to put up a lot of points.

Jerrod Heard is the archetype for the QBs coming out of Texas these days. He will not ever be good at running the WCO. But he can throw quick passes and deep jump balls at WRs in single coverage or pull it down and take off running, and he can do that really, really well. That was our bread and butter back when Texas had an identity on offense and actually had success. That's basically what Vince and Colt were. Ever since Bama broke Mack's brain and we got away from that, it's been bad times. Based on one game against Rice and the scuttlebutt coming out of the program, it sounds like we're looking at getting back to that. If Strong will commit to allowing his offense to play offense instead of being mostly an appendage of the defense, he will do just fine once he gets another class or two in here. But he must decide whether he wants to be Gary Patterson or Will Muschamp.

I am going to give you a spoiler: Charlie Strong won't survive more than more bad season, particularly with a new AD.

I also think your supposition about having to have a "high flying offense" is kind of silly and ignores the success that, you know, Kansas State has had for years and also that, like WVU's offense as ran by Dana "Air Raid" Holgo is basically a clock control offense now.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raku posted:

So the actual next stage of Texas is they get pissed at the Strongs/Muschamps and hire an "offensive guru" as coach, right?

Lanehorns

omg please

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Kansas State and WVU don't have to pull most of their recruits from Texas

lol what

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Strong has said it himself. QBs and skill players from Texas came up playing wide open offense. Recruits here do not want to come play boring cro-magnon ball control offense or memorize 10-lb WCO playbooks when they could go shine at Baylor or TCU or A&M. He cited that as a reason for switching to an alleged uptempo spread offense this year, going so far as to call it a necessity for recruiting. Unfortunately he kept Watson on to install that offense, which worked out about as well as Mack Brown telling Greg Davis to give him Bama's offense.

You do know that almost every QB that both KState and WVU have recruited came out of Texas? And that, you can have a run-first, ball control offense and still be spread/zone read? Like saying that you can't have a run-first offense because, Texas, is dumb as hell.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 15, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

And how many recruiting battles for top Texas QBs are KState and WVU winning against A&M, Baylor, and TCU nowadays? And yes I am aware that Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris exist. What they do is very different from what Watson was doing at Louisville and what he tried to do here last year. I can't even tell what he was trying to do this year.

Worrying about who gets the most ***** recruits, versus worrying about getting the best guy to run a system says a lot about what's wrong with your thinking. Also still doesn't disprove the point that run-heavy, clock control offenses can and do work in the league, particularly with the amount of talent you can recruit to Texas.

I'd also generally say that Strong's is wrong about "pro-style" offenses being able to work in the Big XII, but that's really a seperate issue.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 15, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

So was Patterson to Texas basically what Dave Brandon was to Michigan?

Worse.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yay!

Now why does everyone think this automatically leads to a shorter rope for Strong?

Basically it's a lot easier for a new AD to fire a coach, and a new AD is going to want to put his stamp on things and to separate himself from mistakes of the previous AD. Also because Strong isn't the type of guy who's going win you over with personality long if his teams are poo poo awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

meanwhile I think we've mostly killed off WVU Tech, which will shortly become WVU-Beckley, god speed you lovely campus.

• Locked thread