Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh right on! I think we are on the same page now.

So I figured out it didn't stop registering my trigger pulls so much as delete and reset all of my bindings. :pwn:

Is there any way to recover my pre-patch bindings?

Not unless you backed them up. This comes about every patch, sadly. After you perfect your bindings this time, make sure you save the keybind file (google for the location). I have mine backed up on my Google Drive.

Cowcaster posted:

on an entirely different topic, with the new way engineering works what happens if you decide you want to switch the kind of upgrade you want on a module? do you have to run it through everything from scratch? can you switch to an upgrade the same level as the one it already has?

I think you have to redo it from scratch, unless you're just changing the experimental effect.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
It turns out the cheap as hell Guardian Power Plant was a bug and is now fixed (8a went from 5mil to 120 mil). A bonus though is all regular PPs have been made cheaper.

Ed Lewis, while addressing this, accidentally spoiled as of yet unreleased modules: guardian power distributer, guardian fsd booster

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Is there a consensus on best experimental mod for shields?

Not sure if I'd be better off multiweaving or hi-capping. Or min-maxing more thermal resist. Or making my recharge even better. Or, if none of them make that big of a difference, stripping down a bit of weight. So many decent-sounding options!

I'm flying a multipurpose mission-runner Chieftain with a thermal resist bi-weave and a couple of augmented boosters

The recharge mod is the newest one. I'd assume that would be the best if you mostly care about long-term engagements like HazRezes. If you want to PVP you might want to consider multiweave or hi-cap.

I want to test the recharge mod on a bi-weave shield and see if it gets ridiculous regen.

Rynoto posted:

I was almost done collecting all the guardian stuff, too. Quite a price hike on that but not too surprising.

The newest update is that you are also not supposed to engineer any of the Guardian items. Anyone who has already engineered the power plant will have it returned to standard and some high-end materials added to their inventory.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 2, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
8A Guardian Power Plant vs. Grade 5 Overcharged 8A standard:

GPP is/has:
20% more expensive
25% heavier
a little less power output
a little worse heat management
25% more integrity

Result- absolutely not worth it unless you're like me and already got it for 5mil.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

What are the best weapons for destroying submodules?

If the modules you want to break are on the outside of the ship (ie, cargo hatch, weapons, utlities), missiles are great. The Packhound missiles might be the best in that regard. For internal modules, you'll want railguns that are modified for extra penetration.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Gort posted:

What the gently caress. It's worthless, then.

It's fine if you are in a subset of people that want a blend of heavy duty and overcharged mods.

To the 95% of other players, then yes.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Helianthus Annuus posted:

If you're like me and you kill powerplay NPCs in anarchy systems for sport, you might be surprised to learn: you still get a power bounty and notoriety points even though the system is anarchy.

I noticed this as well as I was grinding out 750 merits. So what does notoriety do? So far I haven't noticed any consequences.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

TomR posted:

I spent way too much time to get the last little bit of jump range, but here it is:

That's with shields and sensors etc. for exploring.

Nice! If you take out everything and replace the tank with a half-sized, can you get close to 80?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

I wish they fixed the stacking exploit, rather than just nuking the missions in their entirety. I was getting some $8M skimmer missions with maxed out rep, and I'd be quite happy to do them one at a time as the good lord intended. :(

Yeah mission stacking and board hopping are what causes all of the big issues. Before these were discovered the worst "exploits" were things like hanging around a Farragut and letting it help you blow up pirates.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

CapnBry posted:

I can't imagine how you're supposed to get a fully decked out Cutter, Anaconda, or something if you only relied on the payouts they've designed. The game economy just doesn't scale up that way. A *billion* dollar Cutter doesn't make money 100X faster than an AspX or Vulture at 8M credits, which doesn't make money 10X faster than my Cobra did, and the Cobra doesn't make money 10X faster than a Sidewinder. It just gets slower and slower and you're still doing the same things you were doing before but now can only land on a Large landing pad.

I bought my Cutter by trading, from a T6, to a T7, to a T9. There was a big community goal payout of a couple hundred million at one point, and that let me finally purchase one. Then I used the Cutter to do trade routes until I could outfit it properly. There is a progression- at least in trading. In combat, not really.

Then I reset my game. I went exploring in a barely upgraded Sidewinder and made it past Sag A* before returning home. Now I own an Anaconda from that adventure.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Most of us are probably going to play for 1000+ hours anyway, so in that respect it means there is still stuff for us to have a goal towards. The money thing never bothered me, but I'm the kind of crazy person that enjoys the Sidewinder and Asp Scout.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

CapnBry posted:

An A-rated cutter is 957M just for core modules + shield with military composites, or 769M if the hull isn't upgraded. Given the 200M ship cost, let's say it takes 500-700M to upgrade the core. The best trade loop route I know of is about 5000 profit/ton, so let's call it 6000/ton. It can carry 760 tons and still have shields, so 4.56M per loop round trip with a loop being 20 minutes. 13.68M per hour means 36.5 hours or 51.2 hours with military composites. That's 51 straight hours of running a loop between two stations 3 jumps apart. Make sure you're paying attention too, because if you're only sort engaged and a loop takes you 30 minutes, that's 77 hours or about 2 weeks of full-time playing to outfit it. Yikes!

I would say trading doesn't scale well though because 13.68M/hour with a 200M (base) ship versus 1.872M/hour in a 1.045M ship (type 6). 7.3 times the profit for 191 times the cost. A hauler can move 0.324M/hr for a 0.053M ship, 42 times the profit for 3774 times the cost. The amount that you can profit per ship cost is an exponential decay while at the same time the cost of the ship exponentially increases. One of the two of those should be linear or the bigger ships should have some sort of unique advantage to trade profits.

It just never feels like there's much benefit beyond the 8M ship cost mark. I'm not complaining saying "Game is too hard" or anything because I like playing with all the different ships and flying around seeing things or shooting dudes, but being able to afford the larger ships feels like they should come with something that you can't get from the lower ships apart from 1/x^2 more profit.

I appreciate the math. My route was 1 jump with stations close to the star, so the round-trip took under 10 minutes, 8 minutes when I sped through it. 4.5M per loop, like you mention. I had a secondary route that was 3-4 jumps, but had about 6mil in profit thanks to powerplay. I also once went space-mad and tried to fill up my Cutter with farmed meta-alloys. I only got halfway before giving up from boredom, but it was an insane cash infusion.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

If you've chartered the entire jet, they'll divert to the nearest airfield, wait for 48 hours for a new flightplan to clear, charge you for the extra trip (also in advance, just like the first one — your loss that you didn't go all the way), and then put you on a “let's think twice about this customer” list. And if you as a customer kicked up a fuss, law enforcement would be waiting at the terminal with a couple of probing… hmm… what's the word. Not questions. Just “probing”, I guess.

Would you also like us to create and follow a flightplan in Elite? That way we can call in our destination before leaving, and we can't stop along the way. A high grade USS in your path? Don't stop, it's not on the plan. Decide you want to stop at a hazrez to shoot pirates for a little while? You get a huge fine for deviating from the flight plan. Run out of fuel? Lose your pilots license.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

he was arguing against the strict adherence to realism dude not for it

I got you. I was following along with the silly real world parallels.

Sorry if I came off as hostile, Tippis.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
The "locate X materials" wing missions are actually great for newbies. A cmdr with a T9 can do the bulk of it, and his friend in a Sidewinder can deliver 1 ton and get a massive payday.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Helianthus Annuus posted:

The guardian weapons function like the railgun and the plasma accelerator, but they are strictly better in terms of DPS.

Yes and they also look rad as gently caress, so that's a huge bonus. Put them on the front of a Cobra or Asp and be amazed.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Do you need to meet the tech broker unlock requirement recipe only once? Or do you need 4 blueprints, 36 power cells, etc for every gun you want to purchase?

Just once, at one tech broker, to unlock that gun/module at every similar tech broker in the universe, forever.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

i mean if the guardian weapons are so good that they'll make small ships more dangerous than big ships now, doesn't it stand to reason big ships will be even more dangerous than that because they have a million more slots that fit c2 weapons, bigger power plants to run them, and bigger power distributors

They are tricky to use, and I imagine a large ship would have a lot of trouble manoeuvering well enough to utilize the plasma charger. Really this makes medium ships more desirable for me, and keeps small ships pretty useless.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
The other option is to completely ignore it until the system selling the rare good is in boom, because then they'll sell you practically all 50 at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I made an FDL with one huge cannon and 4 guardian plasma chargers. It's a spaceship version of the Halo plasma pistol.

Sanzuo posted:

The type 9 now has 2 class 8 internal slots which doesn't seem to be reflected on coriolis.

https://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/

• Locked thread