Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Got any other names perhaps?

Too busy going 'holyshit three Vultures what the gently caress is wrong with these people boost boost boost' and yelling for my friend to get the gently caress outta dodge to note down names. Is there a player search function on Inara? These guys might have profiles.

That said, they were hunting in one of the hazRESes right next to Haxel Port - it's the biggest station in the system and a good place for kitting out your ship so if I was trying to make my stomping grounds in that sector, that's where I'd go.

I'm not saying people should sent out a hitsquad to put the fear of goon in 'em but if someone is in the area and is into hassling some pubbies, it might be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I fit a pair of C2 frag cannon turrets into my Python's C2 mounts and while they don't seem to be too effective, they are downright hilarious. All I need is down a nimble opponent's shields and if they're anywhere near my top hemisphere they're about to catch a faceful of flak - turrets will happily empty the whole 3-cartridge hopper in one go, ftam-ftam-ftam, and absolutely pepper a target with shot. They seem a bit more effective against large targets than multicannons, too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Falken posted:

Kind of want in on this but the number of negative reviews on steam is disconcerting.

I did love elite 2, freelancer and x3 though and i have an x52.

Most of the negative reviews on Steam can be attributed to angry Star Citizen fanboys and people pissed at the price of the Horizons season pass.

So here's what Elite does have:

* Great flight model - space combat is actually engaging and fun.
* Immersive graphics and sound design - every ship looks, feels and sounds different to fly.
* Incredibly huge universe - we have a realistically-sized galaxy. poo poo's whack, yo.

Here's what Elite doesn't have:

* Super-polished content - many of the game mechanics still lack polish. Things improve with every patch but you do see people (maybe rightfully) complaining about the depth and/or lack thereof of the game.
* Plot - There's no 'campaign' and what plot the game has is mostly conveyed through (optional) newsfeeds and such. It's very much a sandbox game and if you want a more in-depth plot you may be disappointed.
* Massive multiplayer battles - It's a huge galaxy and most people play in their own little circles. If you like the idea of WoW-style 'raids' you need to find a player group who arranges that sort of a thing.

If you think you'll have fun with it, I think it's very much worth picking up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LCL-Dead posted:

I got hung up right here. I've heard rumor of clans getting together and managing to out-roll the instancing monster to get 19-20 people into an Instance but I myself have never actually seen more than 12 or so in an instance. In a year, that's been only once, when we rolled out after spotting a known idiot and dropped an 11 man group on him while he was RES hunting in a conda.

Calling them "massive" might be a bit of a overstatement.

Drake_263 posted:

Here's what Elite doesn't have:

* Massive multiplayer battles -...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LCL-Dead posted:

I blame my poor reading comprehension on 3 hours of sleep and no coffee. My apologies.

Apology accepted! We've all had nights like that. Or weeks..

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

So I got this last sale, and bounced off it hard because I couldn't really figure out what would be fun to do. I get how to fly the ship, and how to dock and trade and things, but I'm not really sure of the best way to earn enough money to get a ship/equipment capable of doing combat missions, which is what I'm primarily interested in. Is there a good newbies guide somewhere which has suggestions on how best to get started?

Getting into a basic Eagle is pretty fast - despite bring cheap as chips (44,8K for the basic hull) it's the most maneuverable ship in the game and one of the most fun ones to fly, too. It's a solid early-game combat ship, though being limited to C1 guns it can have trouble damaging larger ships. Still, it ought to be enough to get you started until you can afford a Viper, Cobra or the like. You can probably handle low-intensity RESes in a Sidewinder, so that's a good way of making money as long as you keep your eyes open. More so if you can team up with a wingmate or three.

Toss me a friend invite (CMDR Zhor) - if I'm around I'll be happy to help you get started! :)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm pretty sure they're all symmetrical (the canopies, at least), just some pilot seats are offset from center. It's never really bugged me. :shrug:

The canopies may be symmetrical, but the bridge on the FdL is actually sort of L-shaped - the main pilot sits in a little nook ahead and to the right of the copilot.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I wouldn't say the iEagle is better than the Eagle - it's more of a rebalance.

Basically, the iEagle has a better straightline top speed and acceleration, along with a bigger armament (1x C2, 2x C1) over the Eagle's 3x C1. It also has a bigger power generator to handle the increased energy drain.

Meanwhile, the standard Eagle is much, much more agile (though they have similar thruster arrays, the iEagle is more optimized for speed over maneuverability, and to boot the iEagle is carrying more weight, too). The increased weight on the iEagle also gives the stock Eagle a slightly better frameshift range, as well.

Between the two of them, they have identical internal equipment, armor and shield profiles, but I want to say the iEagle makes a slightly more predictable target thanks to its increased mass and weaker jink ability.

Basically think of the iEagle as less of an Eagle+ (that's the Vulture) and more of something halfway between an Eagle and a Viper.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I found the Viper MKIV a bit slow and clumsy compared to the original, but then again I've spoiled myself with the Diamondback-S and Asp-S (seriously, you can out-turn a Vulture if you know what you're doing in an Asp, whut?). It is, however, tanky as living gently caress for something its size - milspec armor and a bunch of hull reinforcement packages can give you more armor than on a freaking stock Anaconda.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

radintorov posted:

It's also still not too expensive to fit and the more power available allows for more flexible loadouts than the Mk.3. It also has better jump range than the Cobra mk.3, making it a good explorer ship.

And speaking of ships, are you working on any more ship write-ups?

I've been a lazyass, but I should! So many ships I haven't reviewed that I can actually afford, now. Suppose the big question is, where to start?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

<Zhor> So hey, I just got interdicted in Cherets by a dickhead named CMDR Lord Bamber
<Zhor> He was flying a Fer de Lance, interdicted my tiny little travel Adder and splatted me without a single challenge
<Zhor> If anyone is in the area, you might wanna put the fear of Goon into him

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Smartarse. I mean that he yanked me out of supercruise and laid into me with C2 rails without saying a word.

There're a ton of players in Cherets trying to do that bounty hunting community goal I'm guessing he's getting his jollies by interdicting less-equipped players in the system.

He looks to be running a Stealth de Lance - he didn't have shields and kept disappearing off my radar.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Please tell me that diamond frogs hasn't turned into this e-honor crap.

What e-honor? I'm not mad or anything, I'm out maybe half a mil in unclaimed bounties and ~25K in a travel Adder insurance.. while I have 26mil in the bank. I piss away more money trying out ship fits.

I'm just saying that I know plenty of goons who love PVP and since obviously this guy is looking to pick a fight, well, let 'im have one.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Say what you like about Imperial construction, it's pretty.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

As far as I can tell the make or break point is you need to grind reputation to get the FAS. For the FdL you just need the $$$$. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is exactly it, the FdL isn't faction-specific so any schmuck with fifty-odd million can pick one up. Meanwhile the FAS costs 19 mil base so for the cost of the stock FDL you can get a fairly nicely upgraded (if not A-graded) FAS.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The Vulture is just an enormous slab of heavy armor and shields with a shocking pair of engine cells on one end and two obscene guns on the other and I freaking love it. Do not engage directly.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Eichel posted:

I'm told I have some frogs to thank for this Viper Mk4 I stumbled across on the galaxy map?

It has been a fantastic upgrade from the sidewinder I was crawling around in, I've been hanging out by nav beacons learning the ropes.

Any suggestions for loadout? I'm just PVM bounty hunting.

C2 multicannons and C1 lasers of your preferred flavor tend to be a nice jack-of-all-trades build for a Viper - the C3 power distributor kind of has trouble keeping up with bigger energy weapons. This makes you a solidly built if a bit sluggish dogfighter - though C2 multis tend to have trouble dealing damage to ships bigger than, say, an Asp. If you actively go for bigger targets, consider standard cannons - you have to be almost point blank to your target, but C2 cannons are capable of damaging most ships up to about Anaconda size. Missiles are fun but have a fairly limited ammo pool and are a bit too expensive for what they do, if you ask me - dumbfires are better for big fat slow targets, seekers for dogfighting smaller more nimble ships.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Eagle vs Viper, I absolutely loved flying both in my early career - ted Eagle is just so drat maneuverable that it's a joy to fly, and the Viper's blistering speed paired with solid firepower maked you feel like a finely tuned killing machine.

For a relatively cheap workhorse fighter, though, I prefer the DBS these days. Essentially you have the firepower of a Viper (better positioned!) and most the speed of one paired with most the agility of an Eagle, with the jump range of a Cobra. It's also tanky as hell and can be rigged for stealth. For a get-there-fast-and-get-poo poo-done type ship, that combination (and price, it's still relatively cheap to fit) is just drat hard to beat. Only thing it can't really do is haul cargo, and that's what the Cobra MKIII is for.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

K8.0 posted:

If you want an easy way to make money and raise your trade rank (and earn some faction rank as well), go mining when you aren't really trying to play. Once you get the hang of it you can easily make a few million an hour while only half paying attention with a sports event or something on your second monitor. It's surprisingly addictive.

I've actually had a surprising amount of fun persuading a couple of my friends to run interference for me while I'm mining in RESes.

"I have a fuckhead in a Cobra-3 scanning me, somebody want to scratch this dude off my rear end?"
"Heading your way. Target locked and engaging."
"They've opened fire. Diverting power to shields, turrets are live - hel-lo, just spotted painite.."

You can make quite the dosh in a miner-Python or T9 or the like, while your wingmates make money from pirate kills, trade dividends and whatever you mined and decide to toss them. Mining in a HiRES is pretty drat profitable - you tend to find more valuable ores in greater concentrations more easily - and it's more exciting than just sitting in an empty ring spot and fondling rocks. NPC pirate reactions when they realize you have ~20 tons of painite in your hold will never no be funny, too - as long as your wingmates are on point. I wouldn't do it in a HazRES, though, not unless my miner was packing, too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Kramjacks posted:

I thought the launchable fighters were going to be AI controled.

Way I heard it, if you have no friends, you can either launch the fighters out under AI control or launch yourself out in a fighter and leave your main ship under AI control/have it jump out when you launch and recall it back in afterwards. If you have another player on board your ship, though, you can have them hop into your fighter while you keep piloting your primary ship.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

What are people's thoughts on voice attack? Worth the ~25 bucks to talk to Shattner?

I use VA without the voice packs and it's worth 7 bucks in convenience, easy. The big expensive packs you're thinking of come witk preloaded command cues and custom audio responses, so they're more expensive. If you don't particularily care about the game talking back to you (or figuring out your own command structure), try vanilla first. There's a free three-week trial.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

Also it appears that the next Beta is out the week of May 8th.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate

I was just about to post that.

Also, uh..

Healing lasers? :stare:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just gave bounty hunting in a HiRES a shot in the beta. Two Fer-de-Lances tried to run away but me being in one myself, I could actually keep up. Ended up dragged about 20km from the site beacon, though. Most ships I shot down would drop 5-10 units of various crafting materials - mostly different alloys, shield generators, focusing crystals, that kind of stuff. I also ended up with some data scans just from locking onto an enemy ship.

More importantly, I managed to find a gimbaled C4 multi to fit on my FdL.

:iia:

It fires at a speed roughly comparable to a C2 multicannon, except that each shot is a) actually two shots, and b) roughly equivalent to a C2 cannon shell. It's a beautifully flexible weapon - smaller ships are absolutely mauled by the hair of ordnance, and while the armor on ships like Anacondas and Pythons can resist it for a while - the high individual damage (for a multicannon) and surprising armor piercing make it exceedingly nasty when you target subsystems. I crashed the shields of a pirate Anaconda and proceeded to rip out its FSD in a single long salvo - must have taken me 5-10 seconds to take it from full health to null. I can't wait to see what happens if I can get this thing loaded with incendiaries.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
..I started a big effortpost about how the VIper3 would likely be even faster seeing as stock it's faster than the Eagle, THEN realized that Iggle = IEagle. Yeah, the iEagle will likely be the fastest ship, though this really needs to be experimented on. (Personally, I think a Viper3 with those racing thrusters will be terrifying - especially if you modify the hell out of the power core and FSD as well..)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It is. On the other hand, that's also 7.5 seconds less you're getting shot at when you're being fired upon after an interdiction - and if it's an actual multiplier, it's 75% off whatever time you'd normally spend bogged down thanks to the mass shadow of a big ship. Not so useful for exploration, extremely useful for anyone who wants to GTFO ASAP from a potentially hairy situation.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 7, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Someone will probably :science: the gently caress out of the maths involved, but I feel like the increased FSD range mod will make travel faster for you over the sped-up FSD charge. You're still using x time per jump to orient yourself, y to maybe do a fuel scoop, and z to wait for your drive to cooldown - while with the upgraded FSD range you'll get by with fewer jumps overall.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
How much time does a cop scan take again? Because if you're big enough to not be bogged down by their mass, drat.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's going to be even more fun with the new C3 multicannon, methinks. I'm going to have to resist the urge to go all multicannons on my Ferdie and just splurge on weapon upgrades until I luck out and get incendiaries for all of them.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Do remember that the Ferdie has a tiny fuel tank for something its size - it has a 16-ton tank, equivalent to a Cobra's, while the ship itself is about the size of a Python. (The Asp-E, for reference, has a 32-ton tank, and I think the Python is 64-ton). Seems like a cool upgrade but you probably want to fit those on a ship with a bigger tank and space for aux tanks.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
8 shots with a python, then!

Fishreds99 posted:

Gotcha. So 1 shot using an fdl and 4 shots using a python. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry, didn't intend to go :smug: on you. Draining your full fuel tank in one shot sounds hilarious but probably isn't intended behavior, yeah...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

It actually has an 8-ton tank, and the only ship with a 64-ton tank is the Cutter.

You'd think I'd remember seeing as I just bought one (and wrote he article aeons back) but nope. Makes one wonder what the hell the engineers at Zorgon-Peterson were thinking, a max-grade FSD on the FdL will drain 3 tons of fuel per jump...

timn posted:

If nothing else we can give Frontier credit for really swinging for the fences with a lot of these upgrades and special effects.

Rails which use fuel could be interesting for ships with big module slots, but how much extra fuel do you need to equal 30+ shots per rail? Running back to a station to rearm/refuel is just as much trouble as running to a star to scoop (unless you're honor dueling thargoids out in the black), so increased total capacity is the only tangible benefit I'm seeing here.

Presumably once combat encounters outside the immediately-populated sphere become a thing (coughthargoidscoughcough) the ability to carry what amounts to a heavy kinetic weapon without having to rely on fabricating ammo or returning to a station to rearm will be pretty valuable.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Fishreds99 posted:

Interesting thing about the heal beam we realized while testing with Harry--4 pipping your shields makes them 2.4x stronger, and thus requires 2.4x more dps to break because of increased resistance, NOT increased capacity. The healing beam heals your shields at a rate that is as if they have 0 pips to shields (pips do not cause you to resist healing). This means that the amount of HPS required to maintain a shield is significantly less (potentially 2.4x less) than the DPS required to break it, making people running the healing mod to their beam laser super effective since it has no downsides and automatically switches between healing/damage depending on if you target a friendly!

Automatically switches modes if you target a friendly, but if you target an enemy and your friend flies through your beam they still take damage, right?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Alright, that is.. wow. I can see an Anaconda loaded to the gills with beam turrets just sitting in the middle of a furball, indiscriminately shooting at everything like Satan's own disco ball.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of standard Goon combat doctrine, this just came up in the You must be a Platinum member to see this message thread:

How FD can fend off a hypothetical goon takeover (or even a real one)

Paranoia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hilariously, a Sidewinder qualifies as well. If, you know, you want to multiply the price of the base hull.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Turns out that while you still can't fit ammo in your cargo hold, upgraded magazine capacity is a thing for at least multicannons. Just the tier-3 upgrade can easily boost your clip size and ammo reservoir by ~10%, at the cost of increased mass and power draw. The T5 upgrade goes of course way past that.

Edit: I've also been rerolling it to see which kind of affixes you can get. So far I've seen Emissive Rounds, Smart Rounds and Incendiary rounds - smart rounds selfdestruct harmlessly before actually impacting friendly ships, if somebody gets in your line of fire.

Edit edit, all upgrades cost now 1 ton of fish and it seems like the little roulette thing is rigged so you always get an affix of some description.

Edit ^3, I've just had the devil's own luck so far apparently.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 10, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

nightwisher posted:

I'd go check if i could get past this ridiculous patching error. Every update since the beta I have to to completely uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to patch.

It's giving you the 'response stream' error, right? I had that problem. Sometimes if the servers are bombed, the temporary/partial download file gets corrupted. The patcher can't sync the broken file, so it gets.. stuck.

Do a search in your Elite folder for any .part or .progress files, delete those, and try again. That fixed it for me.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 26, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
And every time they make the rewards better or ships cheaper, particularly buoyant turds on the brown sea raise a shitstorm about how they're making the game A Casual Game and people who want it easy should go back to playing Call of Duty.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, I remember seeing a list of high-value exploration systems at some point - I have a friend who needs an exploration rankup for an Engineer access and we need to grab a quick ~150K CR worth of exploration data, preferably near Deciat. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
This is why the God-Emperor of Man invented incendiary ammo. Slap extended ammo upgrades on all those multicannons and pray to get incendiaries - those deal both kinetic and thermal damage.

• Locked thread