Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

axelsoar posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gone to and taken pictures of YT Canis Majoris?

Do you mean VY Canis Majoris?

If so; Yes

My current space madness trip took me through there a couple of weeks ago. Took the following screenshot while fuel scooping at a distance of about 3800 Ls from the star:

Yes. It is big.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's even a hotkey to target the next system on the route if you've target something in the current system

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've been happy without my x52 pro as well so far. Only issue I've run into is that weird stuff seems to happen if I unplug it while my computer is turned on. Did the throttle indent-removal thing because gently caress having that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't have any great love for the x52, as I really hate the joystick part, but theres something to be said for it being basically the exact model of the in-game joystick. There are times while wearing a rift where I almost really want one just for ~my immersion~.

It'd be awesome if there were multiple versions of the ingame throttle and stick that matched the most popular current HOTAS setups. It's such a minor thing too, but :frontear:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yeah, I think I need more "game" in my game to really get into this.

I went to a low-intensity conflict zone. I went up against another viper that was ranked "Harmless". It did one pass on me with 4 pulse lasers, took out my shields basically with 2 hits, then at the end of the pass, I had no thrusters so it was a free kill at that point.

Did you align yourself to a faction in the side-panel after entering the conflict zone? You might have been getting dogpiled by several enemies while focusing on the other viper.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

DatonKallandor posted:

There's something off about the LoDing in CQC, especially in the killer cam. If I had to guess I'd say the LoDing system thinks the distance to the killer is from your death location, not from the camera looking at him afterwards, so you get reduced quality for killcam, depending on how far away your killer was from you when he killed you. Thruster FX especially jumps from "huge so you can see it from 1km away" on the killcam (despite being much closer than that) to regular sized when you're back in your cockpit after a respawn.

This happens because the killcam is at your death location, and frontier just decreases the FoV to zoom in on your killer. Apparently this is something they'd never been doing in the game before now, because it was messing with the UI at first.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
An Asp costs way more than a cobra, so I'm assuming you meant a Viper or Adder.

Anyway, you get to reclaim 90% of the credits you spent on ships and modules when you sell them, so unless it's only a small amount of credits to go before you can afford your goal, there's no reason not to buy intermediary upgrades and use them to increase your earning power.

Just keep in mind that the actual price of a good ship can be significantly more than the cost of the hull itself, as they come standard with only the worst-rated modules.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

Silent running is a bit more helpful yes. Heat sinks while silent running, too. Sensors rely on heat to make thinks like lock-ons and scans work

iirc silent running immediately reduces your heat signature to zero and makes you invisible to sensors, so that your only worry while it is active is having your ship overheat and getting within hugging distance of other ships. That hasn't changed, right?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I remember hearing before that there'll only be the Scarab SRV at launch, but they do intend to add more vehicles over time.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Pips in SYS also affects how much a shield is depleted at the moment of impact? I thought it just determined the rate that shields recharge.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, you lose 10% of the value of every component you sell when you sell the ship directly. If you sell and downgrade all components, you get 100% of their cost, and then only lose the 10% on the chassis and mandatory internals.

So basically you'd be dumb not to with big components (throwing away 4 million selling a 7A shield gen) but if you just toss out an A rated FSD on a Hauler or something it's not that big a deal.

I thought they nerfed module selling to only give 90% as well a while back. Did they change their mind?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The real crime is that gold skins are not available for Gutamaya ships or the Orca. If any ship deserves to look like it is flown by a Sheik with more money than sense, it is those.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

:psyduck: I always feel so lazy when people do this poo poo in a couple days. It took me 7 weeks to cross half the distance when I travelled to the galactic edge. And this is counting only the time I was actually playing steadily.

Even if I could force myself to stop everything except jumping, it still would take me at least 30 hours, 60 is more likely. That's still about two weeks to the center of the galaxy if you have other stuff besides Elite to do.

Don't. I started my trip out into the void back in the start of August, and I only reached Sag A* a couple of days ago. The biggest commitment to make is accepting that the next 20-30 hours you spend playing Elite, ignoring CQC, will consist entirely of jumping from system to system, punctuated by refueling and maybe taking pretty screenshots.

Also, always buy A-rated scoops. Even if you figure you'll just go a few thousand lightyears out from Sol to test the waters.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
the mouse thumbstick on the X52 Pro throttle is pretty sweet for looking around, but obviously a headtracking setup would be better.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I wouldn't mind if influence changes in a 24 hour timespan were weighted by the mode a player was in, compared to any other players operating in the same system.

Propping up a faction from solo and you're the only guy in the system that day? Influence changes are at their normal amount. Same scenario, only someone is working against you from Open at some point during the day? Their changes are at the normal amount, but yours are half of normal. Two guys in in Open and your changes only contribute one-third of normal, etc. With a large enough number of opponent in Open, influence contributions from Solo or Private become very insignificant.

That way, people can play in Solo or Private without penalty, right up until the point that they get into a BGS fight with someone who takes the risk of playing in open.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

radintorov posted:

Wait, empty fuel tanks make you use less fuel per jump? Are you sure about that, because it sounds like an hilarious oversight on Frontier's part. :v:

Fuel consumption per jump is calculated from a formula using the mass of your ship and the distance being jumped. The amount of fuel currently in your tanks is included in the total mass of your ship, so your current level of fuel quite logically affects the amount of fuel that the jump consumes.

FSD don't have a maximum jump range; they just have a maximum amount of fuel they can consume per jump. That's why lowering the mass of your ship increases your maximum jump range.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 30, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Gold iCourier and iClipper. Style and Bling together in one vessel

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They'd have covered their rear end better if they'd just kept silent or blamed it on the player's hardware, then announced somewhere down the road that it was fixed.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yep, the only choices you make for weapons is the type of weapon you want, the size you want it in (not all types come in all sizes), and in the case of some weapon types whether you want it to be fixed/gimbal/turret or dumbfire/seeking.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there some bug with fog effects in planetary rings at the moment or is it just incredibly rare? I've seen some awesome screenshots showing heavy fog/dust even when flying inside the ring proper, but I can't recall ever encountering the effect myself. Certainly not in any of the rings I've visited in the past 3 months.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 7, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Got home from 3 months in the void last night, and just finished uploading the album from the journey. People who are not sick of pretty Elite screenshots yet can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/0XGPx

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Sard posted:

This is fantastic, that's HIP 38064 right?

Correct. I didn't realize the star was well-known or anything. I was just panning around the galaxy map randomly, and it looked much larger than the surrounding stars, so I set a course for it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It did indeed. I think I was allied by the time I'd turned even just half of the data in.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've been considering 2 gimbal beams + 1 railgun in the middle for my courier. Anyone tried such a setup?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I hope top speeds are unchanged when flying near planetary surfaces. I want to go supersonic when atmospheric flight is put in.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
One other thing that annoys me is that in many cases, it is really hard to kill off a specific module on an enemy ship without the entire ship exploding first. I tried recently to take out the life support on a wedding barge orca, but even perfectly aimed pulse lasers dealt more damage to the hull itself than the module. It just bugs me that my weapons can make the entire ship explode, but up until that point the component systems on it will remain working just fine.

I think a better way to deal with it would be removing the concept of armour as a health bar, and instead just go back to having the power plant reaching 0% result in an explosion, but make it able to take as much damage as the ship in general can right now. Then people could choose between going for the power plant kill, target non-fatal modules, or just shoot at the hull in general see what fails on the target first.

Armor-related components could perhaps be redone to provide damage resistance (and perhaps even flat damage reduction in some cases, to keep armor-focused ships viable) to modules.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 12, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Having the game at least default to thrusters, sensors, life support and FSD at priority 1 and everything else at priority 2 would go a long way to helping newbies. At least they should then always have a chance to run away without having to learn on the spot how power management works.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I hope they'll take inspiration from Eve Online in writing the flavor text for missions.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Shouldn't be dangerous at all. IIRC exiting the game removes you from space immediately. (combat logging can result in a ban however, last I checked)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I'm in the Diamondback Explorer rather than the Scout, which is a much better ship. I've heard the Asp is probably better for really deep exploration, but I've been enjoying the DBE because it's reasonably manoeuvrable, isn't a wedge and can carry most things you'll need. Downside is that it's pretty much a case of carrying either a bike rack or a repair kit. I've gone for the bike rack because it's fun to pootle around now and then.

It also looks pretty fantastic wherever you go.

You're goddamn right it does

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 31, 2016

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I usually curve toward the target. Turning sheds speed too in supercruise too, so coming in aimed off-target gives me the opportunity to shed any excess speed that might have built up and end on target, instead overshooting and having to do a 180

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yes! I went to Mitterrand hollow. That moon was hell to land on, I basically had to collide with it. Completely awesome little find.

Are there any others in/near the bubble that are interesting like that? I'd love to land in a moon that's basically inside a planet's ring or inside a star cluster but I don't think the engine allows for it.

There are planets whose orbits intersect or coincide with planetary rings, but I think Frontier goes in an manually fixes any such planets when players bring attention to them because it doesn't really look very good up close. There's a couple of youtube videos around somewhere demonstrating them

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Natsuumi posted:

Consider it case closed. I found the secret this morning.

I'm pretty sure I read the xkcd "what if"-article on this place

e: found it

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 7, 2016

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What's the max jump range you can engineer into an exploraconda?

If you strip it down to the barest essentiels, you'll get 38,06 Ly max before engineers get at it. If you're lucky and roll the maximum +50% possible for grade 5, then that goes up to 57,09 Ly. You can burn a top-tier one-time boost on top of that to push it all the way to 114,18 Ly for a single jump.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
35-40 million per sothis run also assumes you are already spacerich enough to afford a ship with both the required cargo capacity and a jump range that won't drive you insane hauling it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SirPenguin posted:

I was lead to believe that exploration didn't pay for poo poo, but I just came back from a really casual 3-day expedition and made $4mil real easy. And that's in a Cobra!

I immediately went back out into the black. I had hoped to explore the sweet witch head nebula but it's all blocked off by unknown permits. Out of all the things we brought with us to space, couldn't we have left red tape behind :smith:

Basically, exploration isn't worth doing for the money, but if you're going to do it anyway, the money you can earn from it is not insignificant.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Passive heat dumping rate (as opposed to using heat sinks) is mainly determined by the hull you're flying. Diamondbacks run crazy cold for example. The power plant's heat rating factors in significantly too, but I don't know the actual equation for how it all comes together.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Whining works in the favor of good gameplay for once https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/290165-Neutron-star-FSD-boost-info/page44?p=4548522#post4548522

quote:

Hi - another update on this. After reading the feedback and much discussion we're going to implement the following:

- White Dwarfs will confer a 50% boost
- Neutron stars will confer a 300% boost

We're hoping to squeeze this into the next beta update, which will be next week. If it doesn't make that build then it will be the next. Obviously we need you guys to test these changes and see how they play out.

Thanks!

Michael

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Can the python carry fighters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Know what would be nice? If completing missions, hauling trade goods, handing in bounties and exploration data had a chance to reward you with a random engineer upgrade token that you could apply to a ship and module of your choice. It'd not be as reliable or efficient a way of obtaining upgrades, especially the best ones, as purposefully grinding the engineers, but at least you'd still get something more rewarding than just more money, and a taste of the upgrades might even give people more motivation to pursue engineers than they otherwise would have.

• Locked thread