Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And... I just reinstalled the game.

Gods help me because I'm looking at the core and thinking "ok, do I go out to the core and pick up systems... or do I go the full 9 yards and go to Beagle Point?"

And do this all in a lowly hauler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Currently about half way to Cygnus X-1, and I'm going to be PISSED when I find out there's no black hole there.

(yes I know there's no black hole there, at least according to the star map)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You could always equip an Anaconda with nothing but railguns.

Because reasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Libluini posted:

Maybe you'll be lucky, Cygnus X-1 is a binary, and the other star is a blue giant, which should show up as main star on the map.

Yeah, it's showing up as a O class in the map, which would be correct. I'm definitely not going to be the first one out there (nor am I with all of the systems I'm coming across), but gently caress it, I want to see the first object we figured out was a black hole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Made it out to Cygnus X-1. HDE 226868 is there, but the black hole isn't there :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The black hole is actually Cygni X-1. I was there, it looks like this:

Gods drat it. :argh:

Guess that means a change of trip plans then (current plan was the crab pulsar then Sgr A*, but I can detour)!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

2m is all you need for exploration.

25+ ly hauler.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

StuG Jeebus posted:

Is there something unique about the T10 that makes it better against Thargoids? I feel like I'm missing something.

massive tank and lots of dakka

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got my Diamondback Explorer! :woop: And I made enough from my Star of India trip to buy it with class A AMFUs and class A fuel scoop.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't have VR but it's a amazing looking at the hauler and the DBX cockpits in terms of "what you can see". The hauler is a bit constrained in what you can view, but then again, the ship was designed from port to port hauls, not combat (or deep space exploration). The DBX is "holy crap I nearly have a full hemisphere of view".

In other news, Lich is unaccessible unless you have a 98 LY jump drive. Guess you won't be able to see the first confirmed exoplanets then.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, how much level gain do you get with Felicity Farseer if you dump your explo data on her instead of grinding engineering rolls?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It depends how much you dump. I think I went from 0 to 5 with about 10M worth of data but it might be a lot less required.

I'll probably end up giving her a lot more than that, especially if I save my data from this recent trip.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, for meta-alloys, do you need cargo hold space or does it stash it in your materials bin?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Daztek posted:

They're a commodity, so they count as cargo

Non-corrosive I'm guessing?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector Hound posted:

This thing has been happening where my "real" speed skyrockets way higher than my throttle level when I do that, I've been blaming the gravity of the planets the stations are orbiting(?).

As long as your throttle is set to 75%, you're good. It'll skyrocket then drop back down in time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jubjub64 posted:

You guys are talking about manually timing your exit from supercruise. I have been using the autopilot for that (the blue section of my acceleration bar). Is that bad? Inefficient?

One part:

Libluini posted:

That's even less of an autopilot than the speed control in a car. It's just telling you at which point the ship is the most maneuverable. You can trust me, I've missed planets by thousands of light seconds by not paying attention a couple times, if you think that blue section is an autopilot you will be in trouble sooner or later.

With the correction that in supercruise it's the optimal position for hitting the dropout point with the correct speed. In sub-light mode it's the most maneuverable point, yes.

Basically what you can do is set your throttle at that point and you'd never have to touch it again until you drop out at your destination. You still have to steer.

e: I have a bind for 75% throttle. It's great when you have short range hops and you just want to set it and forget it, then leave ED open in another window while you cruise to your point (and then do corrections as you get closer).

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I only go full throttle these days for two reasons in supercruise:

1. throttling up for a jump (and then throttling down to 0 once the FSD engages)
2. navigating between stars in a system

In 2's case, it's "throttle up to 100, then when the scanner activates, watch for it to finish then drop down to 75 for the remainder of the area".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jubjub64 posted:

Sorry I think I described it badly. I'm talking about on the right hand side of the center display, the throttle gauge. If I keep it in the blue it will automatically accelerate and decelerate for me so that I am at the correct speed when I reach my destination and can drop out of SC. Is that just for beginners?
From what I am reading I should only use that when I am close to my destination, not the for the whole duration - is that right?

It will do that for everyone. You can do it for the whole duration if you want; most people do because, unless you're headed to Hutton, you're not saving much time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's been days since I docked last, and going to be a few more still until I do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did them when I came back to get the hang of things again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Breetai posted:

You can also travel from a planet surface to a station in normal space, as evidenced by the absolute madmen who booped an srv from planetside to inside the docking curtain.

This requires pics and/or videos.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, re: Thargoids. If you get hyperdicted by one, is the best solution high wake out or just leave it alone and let it go about its business.

Or are they now 100% aggressive now and high-waking the only solution?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

osirisisdead posted:

oh no four tons of cargo space :circlefap:

I've flown ships with some empty internal slots.

Why not shove AMFUs in there? They weigh nothing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what would good Python and Vulture builds be then for blowing poo poo up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, forgot to mention, but holy poo poo is the steering on the SRV touchy as all gently caress.

But it allows for nice shots like this:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basically, the level you're looking at is 2 million. With 2 mil (well, slightly over), you can fit a Hauler for long range exploration. It's a great starter ship for exploration, and it's cheap to replace.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did a purple HUD for a while. Went back to orange (technically red). Debating switching it up again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress the permit requiring Col systems so much :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoneMoreNegative posted:

After running a bunch of passengers:

QoL update: When turning in a mission

[Accept Reward] [Accept Reward, Disregard Cargo]

Does away with having to have a cargo rack for taking the majority of missions (greys out the first option if no rack fitted) + saves you having to dump the cargo out of your rack as its usually unwanted trash. (also saves the station janitors from having to come sweep multiple canisters out from under my cargo hatch)

A man can dream :o:

Last I checked Frontier does have a bug report system.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector Hound posted:

I can see why it would be low priority, or even defended as a feature. It appears to have been that way forever so I don't think it would be changing anytime soon anyway

An even greater improvement would be the ability to generate passenger missions based on where I'm going, like reverse space hitch hiking

Oh it definitely would be defined as a feature.

What I was getting at is "whining about it on a 3rd party forum that Frontier probably doesn't even read is going about it the wrong way."

Or, in other words, if you want a feature, tell them instead of posting here about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I used to play with a mouse+keyboard, and yeah, I'm going to echo that it was very keyboard friendly. My recommendation, personally, is to get a head tracker, because it makes things a lot better from both an immersion perspective and a gameplay one.

Unfortunately I got one of the Mad Catz X55s :negative: I just wonder how long I have till that goes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ratjaculation posted:

AspX is the best ship. I'll fight you if you disagree.

DBX. Fite me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That feel when you get out of your DBX and plot a course in a ship that doesn’t have seven-league spaceboots

HOW many jumps!?

Mine has a 51+ LY jump range without injections, and it's going to be royal rear end when I decide to change ships.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

e: nvm

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Re: exploration aids. I've found this image to be the most useful when it comes to IDing planets, because sometimes they can be a bit troublesome when you're looking at the system map.

For what it's worth, you'll only encounter rocky bodies as a moon, and they can be terraformable if they're they're in the habitable zone and the right size. So if the parent is in the right location, scanning them won't necessarily hurt.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 4, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gort posted:

You'd have thought the alien life on gas giants would be worth a bit more than 2,000 lousy credits.

You would, but apparently not.

What's weird is the disconnect between Class II giants, which are gas giants with water clouds, and water giants.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

osirisisdead posted:

I thought it was, but I haven't been out exploring in a while... Do you have a Detailed Surface Scanner?

Yup. That image I linked is DSS values.

I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary to be honest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I really only go out of my way for Class IIs. I can scan most giants from the entry star though since I engineered my DSS for long range.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I miss the beta Viper before they nerfed it hard :smith: That thing was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lima posted:

When they introduced it in the beta it didn't have the jumprange to get out of the system it was sold in. The first :frontear: of many :v:

I think this was the beta right after the "premium beta". Then the next major version came with the nerf.

It was so stupidly fast, not necessarily agile, but that thing was prime for chasing down things.

• Locked thread