Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

What was that planet in beta again which has everything? My local planet in beta has some annoying holes in its offerings.
Beagle 2 in Asellus Primus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Groggy nard posted:

Welp all this Explorer posting and my recent demotion means that I should finally stop thinking about flying out my Gold Plated Autism Explorer and actually bring out my Gold Plated Autism Explorer.

The extra AFM is in case my first AFM breaks, the cargo is because Black Holes Are Thirsty. I know because the last time I saw them they told me so. If I find any salvagable escape pods I might even have an audience/more offerings to the gods of entropy.
If you don't mind keeping your fuel tanks low most of the time, you can do some hilarious exploring builds with an Anaconda.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't even think stars could be that close without accreting into each other.
While that is probably true, it's not modeled in the game.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Space Skeleton posted:

Frontier said this was how they were going to do the yearly content expansions all the way back in the Kickstarter days and it's pretty fair and makes a lot of sense, the alternative would be a subscription fee but this way you decide if the new content is something you want. SC fanatics are latching onto it to try and create controversy by spinning it in the most negative way possible.
For what it's worth, I'm not completely sold on their annual $60 update fee, depending on how much they actually add each season. I'm hoping next season is finally the big revamp of missions and events that undeniably pushes the game from "make your own fun" to "just plain fun for everyone." The same goes for pricey skins and bobbleheads, although at least with the new ones, they finally seem to have challenged their artists to do more than paint bucket fill red/blue/purple/yellow/gray/other gray.

That doesn't mean the Star Citizen fanatics aren't :rolleye:, but there's a little more to it than, "All complaints are a conspiracy."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

I'm still torn on this creator thingy. On one hand, I'd love to make some sort of small, dainty Elf because the idea of something like a Keebler-Elf blasting guys apart with huge space ship guns makes me grin like an idiot. On the other hand, gently caress erasing my save, so I'm kind of hoping they allow multiple (or at least one additional) save slots.
Wait, have they said that the one dumb character you create first is your permanent face in the game?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dabir posted:

Someone mentioned dying and exploration data and that reminded me of something. I was scanning the Batz system yesterday, got interdicted by a psycho NPC and killed. When I went back, everything I'd scanned before was still scanned. I finished up, went to drop the data off and I was only credited for the stuff I'd scanned after returning. So beware! You can only scan things once now, if you die you can't go back to get the data again!
I lost my shot at cashing in SagA* that way. :(

It's pretty ridiculous that somehow the galaxy knows everything you've scanned after you die, but you can't sell any of that data from deep space.

On the other hand, I checked the other day, and a bunch of my old systems have flipped back to "undiscovered," despite me still being able to pull the system view up. Maybe I should make a return trip!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Spanish Manlove posted:

What happens when start heading towards the far rim of the galaxy? Also in the center of the galaxy?
When you get to the core, you start to see THE DOT.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

uglynoodles posted:

I'm hearing that stuff like naming your ships and actually getting out and exploring the stations is coming? I hope that's a thing. It is a little disappointing to travel billions of miles to get to essentially an identical place with a different label on it.
Ehhhh, eventually. Maybe. David Braben did a Q&A a while back with a bunch of timeline stuff.

They've been wanting to do "get up and walk around the ship/station" since their pre-release "what's in the future for Elite?" video, but it's not planned for this "season" of DLC, so we won't see it for at least a year.

Ship naming doesn't sound like it was a high priority for them, so who knows?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wozbo posted:

I'm like 95% sure this is exploit territory and don't wanna touch Robigo until it is fixed.
The video in that post says the exploit has been patched out.

DreadLlama posted:

I found a star system that's got three stars in it!

Two of them are close enough together that when you jump into the system you can get a detailed surface scan on both of them. If I'd had my all my stuff turned on I might've been cooked when I jumped in. This game might be better than ftl.

Just wait until the galaxy decides to give you a wake-up call:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
oops

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Target Practice posted:

Man I'm at Tamar and there is nothing like that sweet sweet Tun charity train for Empire. Gonna try Liabeze next I guess.
I flew out to Tun tonight because everyone made it sound like a sure thing, but after a couple of charity donations, all that's left are deliveries and assassinations. I guess it requires a hell of a lot of mission board scumming.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

Hopefully FSD-engineers are locked behind exploration-ranks (because this way I don't have to grind :v: )
"Elite rank required for this upgrade." :unsmigghh:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

A tip for people who have problems finding rare metals: Barnacles are spewing those randomly out, together with low-value crap and meta-alloys.
The possibilities of tiberium... are limitless! :monocle:

Target Practice posted:

Did they ever iron out all the bugs with the docking computer or does it still plaster all over the inside (outside) of a station?
I've been using it recently for larger ships when I can't be bothered to tab back in to dock, and it's pretty smart. Even handles the occasional "boosted through the slot and slammed into the back of the station" scenario. I still make sure I'm lined up well enough with Orbis stations that it won't try to boost through the ring on the approach, though. Just in case.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sad King Billy posted:

I ended up visiting maybe 100 systems and fully surveying maybe 50 of them, lots of terraformables and waterworlds, two Ammonias and one Earthlike.
Is that quite reasonable for a small mapping run?
There's not really any metric for exploration except how much you enjoy it. You won't be making megabucks unless you spend months out in the deep scanning black holes and the like, but getting your name on Earthlike and ammonia worlds is always cool. Don't forget to write down the ones you might want to brag about later!

Well, except for exploration rank, but I can tell you that it'll be a loooooong time before you hit Elite for that.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

I'm at 10% Pioneer right now and yeah, I'll probably hit Elite only after I come back from the mega-journey I'm planning to do after the next wave of ships + crafting is in. (So I can take an even better ship then what I'm planning to do and/or so I have ample time to collect jump juice and whatever I need to do to craft a better jump drive.)

Especially that last stretch between penultimate rank and Elite rank is titanic.
I'm at Pioneer/29%. I did the math a while back, and I think I would need to spend as much time exploring from now on as I did over the past year basically living out in deep space for six months to finally hit Elite.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

You look at the galactic map. If the system map is red and unavailable, it's unexplored.

(If you want your name on something however, instead of just money, fly into a random direction for 1-2k light years and you should find something pristine.)
Since this is a common source of confusion, be aware that "unexplored" means YOU haven't been there yet.

Systems that NOBODY has explored yet are only really visible from the system map, where you'll see their names next to stars and planets, or not.

If you're determined to get your name on those Type O stars, then yeah, start flying away from human space as far as you can. The more random, the better. Nebulae are great for sight-seeing, but any sort of major landmark is going to draw other players like flies.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You want an Asp. Depending on your budget, you could get something like this.

Add some weapons if you want safety getting out of the bubble (or from Thargoids), buy the best fuel scoop you can afford, and add auto-repair/heat sinks to taste. Those last items are basically for when you doze off and crash into a sun or warp out in the middle of a star, so depending on how long you want to be out in the deep, they're not absolutely essential but very handy now that you can repair your canopy.

Everything else is dead weight, so stick to class D (the lightest) and downsize the power plant and power distributor to fit.

If an Asp is out of your price range, you can do the same exercise with something smaller, like a Diamondback Explorer, or if you're :mitt:, you can get another couple of light years out of an Anaconda.

edit: Oh yeah, plus whatever rovers you want to take out for a spin.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 4, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is a good idea, right?

Right....?

Go farrrrtherrrr

MoraleHazard posted:

I'll have to use EDDiscovery. I didn't know it existed. Also, for my first exploration trip, I struck ou along the spiral arm to the Elephant Trunk nebula. The planets seem to be either high metal content worlds or gas giants.
Last I checked, EDDiscovery just reads your netlog files and doesn't keep its own logs, so the important part is to turn on verbose logging. Once you do, programs like EDDiscovery or sites like Inara can read all those old log files to see where you've been going back basically forever. Without that, they won't know anything.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Asimov posted:

If you're washing dishes, do you worry about getting interdicted and killed? How dangerous is it to go AFK while exploring and risk losing all your data?
If you're wandering away from the computer for a while, make sure you're not pointed at any stars or planets. Even if you're at 0 throttle in supercruise.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

Both the Panther Clipper and the Beluga Liner look nice and make me wish they were already in the game. Especially the Beluga Liner. :sigh:
Maybe they're just waiting until passenger missions are ready.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

A Water Giant. The description makes me guess it's a water world that has water with vacuum above it? Looks more like Jupiter.

Also, it looks like you're closing in on a SPACE CUBE there in the lower left.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tippis posted:

I still want someone to give me a scientific explanation for that (actually catalogued) huge mess of B-stars near the Omega nebula. Bonus points if there's a proper reason why they so often come in pairs.
We probably don't really know why yet, but that's how it is.

Wikipedia posted:

It is considered one of the brightest and most massive star-forming regions of our galaxy. Its local geometry is similar to the Orion Nebula except that it is viewed edge-on rather than face-on.

The open cluster NGC 6618 lies embedded in the nebulosity and causes the gases of the nebula to shine due to radiation from these hot, young stars; however, the actual number of stars in the nebula is much higher - up to 800, 100 of spectral type earlier than B9, and 9 of spectral type O, plus over a thousand stars in formation on its outer regions. It is also one of the youngest clusters known, with an age of just 1 million years.
Since it's so young, it may not have had time for all those young stars to smash into each other and settle down yet.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

whoknew posted:

I'm fine with underpromising and overdelivering. Much better than how CIG rolls.
I do hope they can overdeliver. Adding another layer of crafting to grind for doesn't really excite me, and they've been very cagey about anything else they might be adding soon (except a special badge for Distant Horizons participants).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Truga posted:

Yeah, unless you can train turrets onto your wingmates, I don't really see this happening much.
The real question is how long it'll take them to fix space cops attacking you for healing them. Or maybe fining you a negative amount to match the "damage" you've done.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

froody guy posted:

By the way, anything about athmospheric flight or landing? They said it was coming during Horizon (this was before Horizon actual launch iirc).
No.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TomR posted:

A faster FSD charger, better SC control, in system jumps, some kind of data multiplier so you get paid more for scans. I dunno, they could do some stuff but it'd mostly be reworking how exploration works.
Longer jump range is the obvious one.

More variety in space objects would help. Comets, aliens (not gonna happen), different surface types... anything to spend more time seeing new things and less time just jumping in, honking the horn, and jumping out.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

You get a bonus if you find something first. Inside the bubble the chances for this are pretty drat close to zero by now.

But please don't explore just for money, that way lies the road to ruin.
This is true, but detailed scanning does basically double your money. The question is whether you should be spending that time scanning for detailed payout + discovery bonuses or just moving on and honking. If there's stuff right next to you when you warp in, gas giants within about 1000 Ls (depending on size), or scannable stars, then sure, scan away if you want to. But you can also just warp on by and honk and only stop when something looks interesting, too.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gonkish posted:

When is this latest update going to be rolling out? Do we even know yet?
https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate

quote:

I am delighted to announce The Engineers (Elite Dangerous 2.1) will be available to players with beta access in the week ending 8th May.
1.6 might be coming at the same time...?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DatonKallandor posted:

How many times have they claimed that so far? I can remember Missions getting "completely overhauled" after beta, then again with powerplay at the very least.
They did overhaul missions after beta, by disabling all the short timer/high payout ones.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Strategic Tea posted:

It does require gameplay, but I also think that with Elite, so many of us play it for the Cool Spaceman Experience rather than high octane starfighter action. So getting missions inefficiently from the space bar may hold more appeal
That sort of gets back to the question of variety. If it's the same "donate 700 credits plz" missions as before, except you have to spend two minutes walking to a space bar, everyone will hate it. I can't imagine they'll be throwing tons of resources into quirky quest-giving characters, either.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So active range INF means nothing to you?

That's how close and what angle you need to be at to detail scan the object.
Wouldn't that be the Detailed Surface Scanner, not the Advanced Discovery Scanner?

Edit: I don't see any difference in either type of scanning. :shrug:

Dante80 posted:

It definitely looks better in ultra.

Is this with or without GEMFX?

edit:
Do I really have to click right to add one credit to the tip jar five thousand times?

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 6, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Spare a dime, mister?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Shine posted:

Click left once to go to 5000 :D
When it's at 1, there's no left button.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

limaCAT posted:

what the hell happened here? :stare:
Somehow, it thinks my resupply cost is -76 credits. I guess that wraps around on the main screen.

Luneshot posted:

I need some cold hard numbers on FSD ranges- fully upgraded FSD on exploraconda or explorer Asp build if possible.
Someone on the Frontier forums spitballing based on the existing numbers says the upper range is 48.77 LY in an Exploraconda, or 97.5 LY with boosts.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TRON JEREMY posted:

where the hell do you find basic conductors. every engineer wants em but nobody's got em
Engineer materials like that are probably rare stuff you pick up from planetside, shipwrecks, unidentified signal sources, etc.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Just found a post on the Frontier forums:

Frontier Forums posted:

There are four possible things that you might need: materials, manufactured materials, data and commodities.

Materials are the things you find when shooting outcrops and the like in your SRV; iron, chromium, yttrium, etc.
Manufactured materials are the things that are left behind when you kill ships: compact composites, crystal shards, focus crystals, etc.
Data are the things you get when scanning ships and wakes: decoded emission data, divergent scan data, inconsistent shield soak analysis etc.
Commodities are canisters of stuff: not sure where these come from outside of mission rewards

All of the above can also be mission rewards.

At grade 1 you just need materials and/or data.

At grade 2 and higher you need materials and/or data *and* commodities.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

El Grillo posted:

Mike Evans responded with "the discussion here and the actual points from the OP are totally valid and are concerns we've had internally before and will continue to have as the beta continues so do as the mod says.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be able to integrate missions into the engineer system in a meaningful way any time soon so it's probably not going to be updated at all during the beta."
Welp, it'll be a fun idea to polish up in 3.1.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bargearse posted:

On the plus side, the traffic control voices go a long way towards making the universe feel more alive.
"Try learning to fly your ship next time."

Don't tell me what to do, desk jockey. t:mad:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Out of curiosity: what are people looking for, exactly, content-wise? Everyone always throws that line around, no content, mile wide, inch deep etc etc, but I never really got what people are expecting. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do in the game, especially now that there's this whole randomized loot/farming/grinding thing added in. Lots of interesting ways to customize your ship. Like at what point do you say "OK, there's an adequate amount of things to do"?
They need "things to do" that aren't just, "Go to [RANDOM_SYSTEM] and get [RANDOM_GOODS] or kill [RANDOM_SHIP]." Procedurally-generated missions are only as fun as the variety they're programmed for, and right now, there's no point to doing any of them except to get more money to get bigger ships. Or get more rank to get bigger ships.

Back in the '90s, there was a much simpler space game series for Mac called Escape Velocity. It looked like poo poo compared to E:D, but it also had plenty of fluff for missions/encounters/story. I can't remember much about those games, but I can still recount fun missions they threw in. They didn't have awesome rewards or require a lot of extra programming. They just needed a decent writer with a sense of humor.

Exploration is lifeless -- you can only find stars, planets, and black holes, no matter how far you fly. In human space, there aren't any special star systems with anything unique (except Engineers, more on that in a second). David Braben said recently in an interview that they had done a bad job of encouraging people to go out exploring instead of trade runs between two systems forever, but why would you? There's no difference between any two parts of the bubble, as long as you're making 1500cr/ton.

The difficulty curve is also part of people's complaint. Why bother hunting all over the galaxy for stolen goods? Why fight ships you can never hope to beat without a wing full of powerful ships? Why grind for a bigger ship that will only make you marginally more money and, now, be an even bigger liability in battle? Why grind out better items from Engineers who require you to literally throw away dozens of crafted items to get one you want? And apparently you can't even get the materials for them at all! There's no reason to pursue the end-game rewards unless you love punishment.

I want to meet some aliens. I want to run across some broken-down spacer who got lost and needs a lift. I want to meet scientists exploring weird anomalies. I want to see a comet. I want to swap stories with a wacky space bartender. I want to give a poo poo about Empire vs. Federation vs. Alliance. I want local factions to have any sort of personality at all. I want my months of exploration to have an impact on the galaxy. I want them to build more than one new space station every three months.

I think Frontier should actually try to play their game sometime without god-mode. Just take a week off, fire up a Sidewinder, play the game, and decide if they think it is actually fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TTerrible posted:

Ok so that expanded tweet now says it was a design decision.

I give up.
It says their support team assumes everything in the game is a deliberate decision. Remember when they removed specialty weapon types in 1.0, and nobody at Frontier noticed until people complained? Or when type 3 planetary scans were broken until someone mentioned it to Michael Brookes?

• Locked thread