Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The HOTAS talk made me finally get off my rear end and make a non-lovely not drawn on graph paper button layout thing. Figured I'd share it. I use the CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. I love them to death and they made Elite a totally new game to learn all over again, but they can be pricey (~$230 for both on Amazon right now). I used an Xbox controller prior to this setup.

Lots of people talk about Thrustmaster and Saitek setups, but this is another good one.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Bedshaped posted:

You have "Target ahead" marked twice.

Oops, thanks. Copy and pasting elements and forgetting to change text.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

axelsoar posted:

Awwww, are there at least pulsars?

There are pulsars out there, the Crab Pulsar for example, but they don't look any different than neutron stars currently.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I made this for Kermit after him talking about our "characters" in Elite being our SA avatars, figured I'd share.

I'm not good at photoshop and just mash buttons until it works :(

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Lol I can't use the mouse at all in E:D now

Like the cursor is glued to the center of the screen and when I move on say the map it appears but only moves a pixel in whatever direction and immediately resets

I have to use it for the drat map because I don't want to spend 3 hours setting up HOTAS to have controls that make any sense yet here we are

This sounds familiar as Frontier loves to bring back old bugs. I could be remembering wrong, but try changing your "hardware cursor" setting is what I remember fixing that.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Innerguard posted:

Where in the devilled gently caress do I get better weapons than the dross I currently have? My class 1 beams are rank F (gimballed) and I'll be hosed if I can't find a better rated set anywhere, same with my class 2 rank E multicannon (gimballed)

(I'm in a DBS)

You don't. Weapon only get better by size (small/medium/large/huge). Maybe if/when Frontier gives up weapon variants we'll see weapons with different grades for a class.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Oh that's like less than 5 minutes.

Go to Alpha Centauri, Hutton Orbital: 7,000,000 Ls away. That's reason to cry.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

imatree posted:

If I get a bounty mission that says 4 targets, are they automatically in a wing or do I find them one at a time?

You can find targets either way.

timn posted:

This Sothis thing kind of sucks when every other jump takes literal minutes to load.

I found playing in private had better load times for jumps.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

It's usually to offer you an alternate delivery destination for a different faction and 99% less reward.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

It remembers all costs paid, ships and components, as that's how it determines your insurance rebut cost.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

TentPegg posted:

Kinda wish there was a button to move me back from Sag A. I have run out of madness and want to jump in the pond with the rest of you frogs. Unfortunately I have over 10000 ly of stars between us. ..

Oh there's a button alright, and it's labeled "self destruct"…

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

tooterfish posted:

That ton is actually taken up by a physical recording of Blue Danube engraved into a 6 foot steel disc.

Pffff, my ton is taken up by an actual full, live orchestra to play it for me.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Thronde posted:

Why is the mission target text always black in a space game?!

Because :frontear:.

(It's a bug from the last patch or so, it's supposed to be red)

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

froody guy posted:

No wait, seriously? I'm talking of a pretty heavy change, day and night kind of change. I remember that when I jumped in a new system I could just keep throttle to zero and stay quite a lot semi-idle at a distance, say a couple of minutes before I had red alerts from the overheating alarm thing. In that time I used to scan the main star, scan system, check in system view if there were interesting planets, even listen to them sounds.... Now I can barely finish the scan of the main star (how long does it take, 10 sec?) and I'm already burning, everything is blinking red and if I don't pull up I'm dead within seconds. The impression is that they changed the gravitational pull mechanics or they changed the distance from the main star you land once you exit hyperdrive. In both ways this is pretty bad for an explorer, once again :saddowns:

Nope they didn't change anything. Something wrong with you/your ship.

Been out exploring for the last month and it's all the same as it always was. I can idle at the star at jump in forever, or at least as long as it takes 30 km/s to fly into it.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 28, 2015

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Spaseman posted:

Is there a reliable way to see if there is an Adder for sale in a system near me?

http://ed-td.space/en/18/Find+Ship helps me find ships.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I've done it once. Never again. And I been to Sag A*. For those who haven't seen:

In flight, the distance is measured in light-years on your HUD because it's so far away.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 11, 2015

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Dropship is gonna be my comedy Horizons planet landing ship because I have nothing else to spend my money on.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Bushiz posted:

how do the weak thrusters get by on high gravity worlds?

About like this http://youtu.be/WDebwFrQdeU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

TheDK posted:

I accepted a donation mission but can't figure out how to actually donate credits. Am I missing something obvious?

Click on the mission again on the bulletin board.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

KakerMix posted:

Get up close and personal with literal giant capital ships!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Id-nlHjvZI

gently caress yeah, the Lugh war was the best.

e: to the guy asking about the game, people have lot's of different things to say about the gameplay of E:D, up or down, but it has probably the best sound design/team I've ever heard in a game.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 20, 2015

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

nessin posted:

How do you plan long distance exploration runs? I mean, I know I can select a target somewhere and then just move the map closer until I find a plot, but is there an easier way?
That's up to you. Some people plan meticulous routes looking for what they know to have a good chance for high value scans, so typically have short plots. Me I find something a thousand Ly out (usually something special like a white dwarf/neutron star/O star) and just jump where my computer takes me.

nessin posted:

Also how do you scan systems doing that, because even though my navigation computer keeps track of my last plotted route I can't find a way to reselect that as a target after switching to scanning stuff in the system I'm in.
There's a hot key you can bind to reselect your plotted nav route.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Xtanstic posted:

Achievements. Chievements. Cheevos. Cheetos.

I never noticed any place where they are displayed? Steam certainly doesn't have them and I don't think I noticed anything showing up in-game?

There none, except what you can imagine.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

anime tupac posted:

I'm still figuring out some basics here; I managed to get an easy quest that paid okay (pretty much just "fly to three places"), but twice now the route that my map plots for me turns out not to work, because I get halfway through my series of jumps and then am not allowed to make one of them in the series ("Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of [whatever].")

I have upgraded my FSD and fuel capacity, and in fact those are the only things I've upgraded after this happened the first time because I'm still pretty poor. The first google result for this has a guy saying "Jump to a closer star, refuel, and skip your way to your destination," but I just did refuel and my "plot route" result remains the same as it was after I got that fuel use limit error. (It originally took me 7 jumps to go from Point A to Point B, now it takes me 8 jumps to get from where I am, which is the midpoint of A---B, to B. So the original 7 jumps is now like 12 or something)

I feel like I'm sounding retarded but you guys probably know what I mean. Did I do something wrong plotting the original route? Am I supposed to do something different to make sure I can just do these jumps in sequence and not have this happen?

Did you plot your jumps then take on any cargo? That's my best guess because cargo (or any added weight) reduces your jump range. If a previously plotted route is now beyond jump range it really won't tell you until you try to jump it. You just need to replot your jump route to your destination.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Locator posted:

On the exploration front, I have a question about the system map icons. Lots of planets and moons have a blue 'arc' part way around them. Does that mean that it has atmosphere? Does it mean anything regarding the value of scanning?

It means that you can land on them if you have Horizons.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Locator posted:

Ah, thanks. (both of you)

Also, I guess I don't really get what 'unexplored' means in this game, because I'm out where everything is unexplored, but it also has someone else's name on it, so it's clearly been explored. What makes something go from unexplored to being known/explored?

It's unexplored for you. If you go scan the object it will no longer be unexplored.

Eyud posted:

efb so here's a nice picture instead:

That is the sexiest gas giant.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok, so why does my galaxy map say I have a Viper MKIV somewhere where I've never been?

It's thanks to the frogs who saved space Christmas.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so if I plot a route, and then change my target, is there a hotkey or something to go back to the route I originally plotted or do I have to go back to the map and do it again every time?

There's a hotkey you can bind. Check your controls for the bind, I don't know if it's bound by default to anything.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Sard posted:

I really hope this is how because I can't process the idea of anyone flying an Adder that far outside the bubble.

They really did fly that far out in an Adder (using a hack that made 65k Ly jumps possible), but it's not normally possible. There are stars that far away but there comes a point that no ship currently can make the jump distances required. I think they did this just to see what was there and take pictures. Nothing was scanned to spoil any firsts if it ever becomes possible to jump out there.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Locator posted:

The fact that the cargo hatch takes power, while.. doing nothing, is somewhat hilarious. Thanks for this tip though, since I don't even have a cargo hold, the cargo hatch is more than a bit useless to power.

The real hilarious part is your cargo hatch taking more power than your friendship drive does.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

^^ Holy poo poo. I'm assuming that your exploration data doesn't disappear if you get blown up?

No, your data is gone if you get blown up. So don't crash into stars.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Drone posted:

So how viable is playing with a 360 controller? While I do own a HOTAS (an old Saitek X52 from like ten years ago), it takes up way too much space on my desk. And for whatever reason the idea of sitting on the couch with a 360 controller and my Bluetooth keyboard and doing some space truckin' appeals to me in some sci-fi Euro Truck Simulator 2 kinda way.

Perfectly viable. I played nearly a year with a 360 controller. Only went to a HOTAS myself because I hate having money.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

MoraleHazard posted:

I just got Horizons (had the original Elite from the Christmas sale) through steam and now when I log in, I get some failure saying the authentication server couldn't be accessed. I put in a support ticket per Frontier's FAQ, but is there any way to get it to authenticate? I tried logging out and I tried validating the files on steam.

Pretty sure the servers are making GBS threads for everyone.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Fried Watermelon posted:

As far as exploration goes, how much unexplored territory is there? I know the galaxy is huge but what has already been explored as far as percentages?

Probably less than one-tenth of one percent is explored. A lot of stuff around the bubble of settled space is explored, but that's because it is close. Go out a thousand Ly and it's easy to find the unexplored.

There's a billion systems in the game. Even if a system was being explored every second nonstop it would take something like 32 years to explore them all, by my napkin math. Realistically, not that many explore, people stop to scan and take pretty pictures, it would take thousands of years to explore it all.

There's plenty of space to explore and put your name on if you get off the beaten path and the space tourist destinations.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

YellerBill posted:

Just remember KGB FOAM for the star classes you can scoop and you're good.

Real space nerds scoop OBAFGKM stars :colbert:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Buy anytime, I'd just keep enough cash on hand to cover your rebuy cost for if you get blown up. Modules sell back at 100% cost so buy whenever you want. If you didn't like what you bought you can get all your money back on it.

Ships sell back for less, 90% of their cost, modules attached to your ship sell at 90% as well, so sell them all/downgrade as much if you sell your ship.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Daztek posted:

The Adder looks adorable :3:

I went straight from Sidewinder to Adder when I started. Spent forever in it.

Space RV explorer was my fav :3:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

radintorov posted:

That it is: the Cobra mk.3 is the first multipurpose ship that allows you to do comfortably do whatever you want while still being able to outfit it for specialized roles and do well there as well.

Cobra III is a great multirole ship for doing everything, but not the first after noob sidewinder. Adder will be your first affordable multirole ship. Depending on how you choose to outfit it it makes a more than capable trader, fighter, or explorer. It was my first ship after the sidewinder and I spent a very long time in it enjoying it the whole time. You'll find people complain about it's cockpit view, but that's it charm to me. It's a space RV with a great space RV cockpit.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Quoting this to find it later.

Also just remembered that I never actually assign the shield boosts to a fire group so they've worthless to me so far. That's cool.

If you're talking about the SCBs you don't need to put them in a fire group. They can have a dedicated hot key or button. Mine is assigned to a button on my HOTAS throttle. Swapping fire groups to shoot off SCBs would be a pain to do, in my opinion.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Bilal posted:

This community goal is really bad. I've only shot a few bounties at the nav beacon and done one trade for metal to Worlidge Terminal and I'm supercruising to get there. Posting this in the middle of the 110 ls trip. I am surprised anyone else has participated in this one.

I've hauled 30,000 tons for that one :colbert:

Edit: to expand why - I could do a loop in about 15 minutes, making it run about 8 million cr/hour, got some tv show watching done while doing it and pushed me up to only 4% left until Elite trader which I will finish off tonight

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Annath posted:

Where is a good place to buy metals to bring to Worlidge Terminal?

Brani, Virtanen Hub. It's a full sized station. Palladium from there was running around 3300 cr/ton profit.

• Locked thread