Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's the current money maker? Just started playing again and need to finally get my anaconda

I make a few million an hour by trekking way out into space scanning everything, then finding a system where I can stack up long distance deliveries back to that bubble of occupied territories. I've made close to a million in a single trip just from scans, and some of the delivery missions pay 600k+ and only take up a little bit of room in your hold. It's fun cashing it all out at the end, but there must be a better way to do it. I tried taking passengers for a bit, but it's a noticeably slower way to make money. Some of the sight seeing passenger missions (which I don't have the rep to take) pay tens of millions, but how do you even do an 11,000 ly roundtrip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Khablam posted:

SC is the thing that wears it most, though people suggest without shielding increases it.

Brand new:

Landed at hutton 90mins later:

Yes hello I'd like to trade in all the long term plans I had in this game for this ship, what is it called

vv it might be worth it, it looks like a limo from the jetsons vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 31, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Honky Dong Country posted:

lol at moving space boxes for money. I'd rather ram a steak knife down my urethra than move imaginary space-freight in a game.

Well that's a little extreme. I just get blown away when I enter combat zones. I blew a bunch of money buying another cobra hull and fitting it for combat (I thought I did, anyway) but I'm still woefully outclassed. The python is way out of my funding range, should I get into a viper or a diamondback scout? What the hell do I put on the front of it to actually knock through another ship's shield instead of just getting their attention so they can blow me away more easily? A balls out strafing run with my new failure cobra's type 2 pulse lasers and type 1 missiles are breaking maybe one layer of shields on some of these bigger ships, usually at the cost of most or all of my shields and a bit of hull. I'm all stuffed full of hull reinforcements so at least I haven't gotten shot down, just a few panicked escapes with confetti popping off inside my cockpit.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's not too terrible to go slow while you're entering or leaving a station. That way you don't, say, get within one jump of finishing a stack of high payout deliveries, then boost triumphantly out of a refueling station, only you aim it slightly wrong and ping pong around in the mail slot for two horrifying seconds before exploding and failing everything. Say.

:negative:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Fuel scoops, man!

I had just come through a veritable Never-Never of whatever those dead purple stars are, T I think.

"Oh Be A Goon Fucker, Kill Me" is probably the most insane mnemonic device I'll ever memorize

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just stripped down and traded in my diamondback explorer for an asp explorer, and I kind of wish I hadn't. It does have a ton of weapon slots, making it tempting to put a whole mining job in there, but my main money maker so far has been space trucking and scanning things. I'd also like to see the rest of the galaxy a bit, but I lost two lightyears trading up. I guess I'm asking is what everyone else uses their asp ex for and what you put in it.

This is mine so far, to the best of my recollection

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pftfFfljdfsof51b1b17172h2h00010204044e012t012i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Reputation

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh my god that's honestly what I wanted, permission to ditch some of those slots. I'm not kidding, the way everyone else decks their poo poo out I've felt naked unless they're all full. Definitely dumping some of the obvious slots (2e cargo rack lol) for an amfu, although I do like the big cargo hold for trips back to the bubble.

I'm actually complete poo poo at fighting right now, and am trucking to fund a viper and a vulture that are both half built in storage. I mostly stuck weapons on the front of this asp to--again--fill slots, and for that emergency "I need guns now" situation that honestly hasn't come up yet. Gun-less sounds risky, but I've honestly never needed them unless I started or went looking for a fight.

I'm nervous about a smaller power plant, but I'll bet getting rid of (most of...) the guns will make it work. Space garage time!

e also smaller shield like C or smaller shield like 3, I think I tried going down a size and it didn't fit anymore

e2 ok I get it, this is going to be good. Thank you!

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 9, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Libluini posted:

No, you also get "exclusion zones" when you're in normal space. I've tried a couple times to get really close to a black hole, but if you get close enough you just get teleported back to the border of the zone. Boring!

Oh, this is kind of anti-climactic. I just took a tourist to the Maia black hole, and it was tense as hell getting closer and closer to the beacon while space and light warped into a fun house mirror all around me wondering if I was about to get a bunch of alarms all at once and then explode. I thought I'd escaped by the skin of my teeth.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've been doing the road to riches, and have been popping into stations periodically to see how much I'd made so far. In my first few stops I made 4 million, the next ten or so I made 13 million. Some of the systems are worth over a million each, making this far and away a more efficient cash cow than space trucking or space tour guiding. Maybe combat is faster? I haven't really tried mining.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 22, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I did fly out to the coalsack nebula to confirm that starts get blotted out (they do, I think?) but i got distracted before I got it to the barnards loop/orion/horsehead area to see if space turns orange or pink, or to see the dense group of stars there.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That's more than five thousand people.

Uh then why the hell can I only take 8 space tourists at a time

What button assures passengers I have a business class cabin then stuffs them into an overfull cargo hold

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I didn't think the galnet articles were boring :( I like lore, and they make it seem like there's a world in Elite

I don't read them very often because I haven't really looked up from my dashboard in general trying to plow cash into my account, but I definitely wish someone would spend an hour typing up some more comms chatter. How many space marriages is that guy going to put himself through before he realizes he's supposed to be space single

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It would appear that the rhea travel craze ended the moment I outfitted my python to be a space bus.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm sorry for these bizarre staccato posts but this game really plays to my ADD: Do I need a space go-kart (ie, horizons) to collect this thargoid resin they're asking for at Obsidian orbital? Also when I got to Maia I thought I spotted the makings of another great passenger mission boom but by the time I got my space bus there all the missions had switched to the little crowns that take up your whole cabin. Not a lot of shipyards in the pleaiadeaaieades. I had to go to one called sisters refuge, 80LY out of the way and run by some kind of space cult. All of the space cult passenger missions also took up the whole cabin, space divas

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Xae posted:

What upgrade should I run next for Engineers Roulette? Current Ship

What is the current money maker? I've heard something about transport missions in an Anaconda, but people are being shy with the details.

That was transport missions to/from Rhea, they were stacking nicely because of a little glitch that has been fixed, from what I can see mainly by making 95% of passenger missions VIP so they take up an entire cabin (i believe they also fixed the actual bug as well).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

zooted heh posted:

I know that rare goods increase in value the further you travel from the sell point but is there a cap as to how high the price goes?

Also wondering if I say back track to a previous system that's closer to the sell point does it drop in value or does the price stay the same base on how many actual lys I've traveled with them?

I'm also curious about this, does anyone know something like the sale price of the hutton mug at the farthest station from alpha Centauri?

Xae posted:

Rare goods have huge diminishing returns after about 100 LY.

Beyond 100ish isn't worth it.

Oh no

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think I was cutting the fun of exploring in half by not having a class 6 fuel scoop; I finally fitted just a 6D on my Asp and...holy poo poo, how fast does a 6A suck up fuel?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

TopHatGenius posted:

Wow this is gonna make me get back into the game. Hauling booze and computer components for goons.

The first goons to get something in return for delivering printers

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

God I wish this supported PSVR

Lmao does it not? Well, there goes the one reason drunk me will ever be tempted to buy one, my wallet is safe

e for real though this is a perfect vr game, what a missed opportunity

vvv sad vvv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 10, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

trapt posted:

Could I start without it and add it if I like the game or would I be missing out on too much?

I don't have it and I've had a ton of fun and sunk a bunch of time into the game, have a nice little fleet going, etc, but man it would be nice to get in on some of the ridiculously high paying transport jobs that require a landing module, or planetary scan missions that you can stack up (I don't know if that still works).

E and I haven't yet figured out if engineering is part of the expansion so I haven't done anything with that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Raged posted:

Been running a gravy train passenger run for the last day and am up to 700+ mil and can't stop myself running it. When do you hit enough money to say gently caress it I'm good? So easy to sit on the couch and watch TV and run it.

Thirding the request for your run, my foray into piracy is...not going well

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

I've been doing some merc work and the Cobra I'm using feels paper-thin. What's the better combat ship to upgrade to before the Vulture: Viper MK3, Viper MK4, or the Diamondback Scout? Addendum: I don't do trade runs, but I'm cool with ferrying goods one-way if only to encourage me to explore more.

I've done ok in my Viper Mk 4, although I immediately missed how fast the Cobra was. Most intensely when I was being shot apart from behind. I think the dbs has more guns?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hmm, I noticed an option on the galaxy map to highlight damaged stations, and there's three of them a hop skip and a jump from me. Are these reliably passenger mission whoring zones?

vvv :sad: vvv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 26, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I popped on Horizons the other day and decided to see what the deal was with planetary landings. After figuring out how to get into the atmosphere, I remembered the cool UI bit that shows you the terrain if you're low enough so I whizzed down into a canyon. It turns out that you have to be really, really low to get the radar to change. It also turns out that my AspX can take some dirt and keep flying. To verify my findings, I slammed into the ground a few more times.

Once I reached the little outpost I was going for, at the end of the canyon, I found a smooth patch of dirt (and realized the radar change is so you can find a landing spot, not so flying near the ground is cooler) and...googled how to get into my SRV. It's on the panel between your legs, incidentally, one that I didn't have before getting horizons. Buggy away! I bounced toward the patch of buildings, figuring out the vertical thrusters and seeing how much space-air I could get off of space-jumps.

There didn't really seem to be anything happening at the outpost, just some buildings, a few stationary guns, and some drones, labeled "guardian," buzzing around scanning things. Maybe I can scan some things too? I thought. There hadn't been an obvious way to outfit the SRV that I'd seen, and I thought I'd heard there were missions where you scanned things from the SRV, so I figured I must have had a scanner of some kind. Maybe it was in the turret. I deployed the turret and started to have a look around, but my Y axis isn't inverted, so I paused for a second to fix that and peek at some of the other SRV buttons.

My shields had collapsed by the time I exited the options menu.

The guardians (and the giant rear end guns around the outpost) must have not liked me popping my turret, or how close I got, or something. It didn't matter anymore. What mattered was me kicking up space-dust as I made my space-escape back to my ship, which now seemed pretty far away. I managed to bounce between dunes and rocks and dodge enough of the incoming missiles to make it back to my ship in one piece only to realize that I had no idea how to get back into it. Lasers streaked the space-night all around me. The panel between my legs! I flipped it open, there was no "get back in" button or "Jesus Jesus get me out of here" button, but there was "dismiss ship." Shots ricocheted against the back of my SRV. The hull integrity warning went off. My windshield went red with a distorted "INCOMING MISSILE" alert.

The button...didn't do what I wanted it to.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Krycek posted:

:smugndar: Good times

Couple tips: always park your ship outside the range of AA guns. And if you die in the srv you respawn in your ship only losing your srv which can be repaired at most stations. Also, logging out to the main menu will reset the base agro when you come back in.

Haha, this is smashing to know, I'll just let myself be space-murdered next time, or rage quit. It was Christmas, I couldn't rage quit.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

I got my first million now and I'm liking the quad multi-cannon setup I'm using over a pair of beams and a pair of multis. What I didn't know that the Diamondback Explorer has a large hardpoint and more internal space, which sounds intriguing. Should I consider upgrading to an Explorer over my Diamondback Scout, or should I just soldier on through for the money I need for a Vulture?

Do a few builds on coriolis to see how much it will cost, that poo poo balloons out of control fast. I just kitted out a new explorer for 11,000,000 space bucks, way more than I thought it was going to be. Probably about half of that was the A rated warp drive.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

How's that thing for bounty-hunting? My DSE can carry enough high-price goods for a courier gig that it pays out roughly the same as a bounty hunt (150k to 200k) while being pretty good at killing small ships, but it takes a while for medium ships and needs dogpiling help against big stuff. Meanwhile, the DBX will let me carry twice as much goods, upgrade my shield generator, and add a module reinforcement on top of the hull reinforcement. That's in addition to trading 2 small hardpoints for a large one, which I assume will make hunting medium targets much less of a pain.

It has the large hardpoint for chewing through the hull once you have the shields down, but I'm terrible at combat so I have it for the jump range; without engineering I've got 40 ly.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I got this game for Christmas. I was a big fan of No Man's Sky (even when it first came out) and I know this is a very different game, but that's how I had first heard of it.

I popped it in last night and tried the training missions, and was absolute complete loving garbage at almost all of them.

Do I need to get good at flying/docking/navigating, or can I jump in the game and do things while slowly getting better at that? I haven't played the game proper yet. I got frustrated with the first Horizons training mission (the guy says there are waypoints but there totally aren't waypoints, I found and destroyed the sentry guns but could not find the generator) and turned it off.

edit: PS4 btw. Any suggestions for a newb to this game, what I should do, what I shouldn't do as I learn?

gently caress those training missions, get in. Learn to land by docking at every station you come to, or watch some people land on YouTube, or get a docking computer for your ship. Beyond docking, timing your exit from supercruise is probably the trickiest thing you'll do constantly. The best way to cheese it until you figure it out is to go full throttle at your target, decelerate to zero when youre about to pass it, and just do loops around it until you stop.

Buy new ships and parts, and strip your ships down before you sell them. Don't sell powerplants or warp drives unless you're really sure you don't want them.

Elite: Dangerous Database, great for finding ships, parts, commodities, stations that have amenities you need, etc.

Coriolis Shipyard, for looking at builds before you buy them, or building your dream ship.

Road to Riches, a map tool that will lead you to the closest valuable star systems to scan, great for fast-ish money and exploration cred

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GutBomb posted:

When you're within 500 light seconds throttle down to 75% and stay at that level until you dock. It makes the drop from supercruise incredibly simple.

This thing has been happening where my "real" speed skyrockets way higher than my throttle level when I do that, I've been blaming the gravity of the planets the stations are orbiting(?).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

i couldn't get beyond the docking training mission and haven't touched this game for months

Ignore the training missions, they are awful

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm so jealous of PC players that can change their HUD colors, space-orange burns my eyes out.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

iospace posted:

Last I checked Frontier does have a bug report system.

I can see why it would be low priority, or even defended as a feature. It appears to have been that way forever so I don't think it would be changing anytime soon anyway

An even greater improvement would be the ability to generate passenger missions based on where I'm going, like reverse space hitch hiking

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How many of these goddamn internet message boards do I need to sign up for for my voice to be heard?? This is a free speech issue

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Hey so I've been running the Parutis-Medb passenger run a few times in my Asp making 7-8 million a trip which is nice, but is there any reason I can't load up my Type-6 with cabins and use that to take even more at a time? Can it take first-class cabins?

Yes, absolutely do this.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 31, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

-remove shields
-reinforce hull where possible
-equip as many heat sink launchers as you can fit
-turn on silent running
-be Isinona

*silent running does not work against NPCs

Holy poo poo, if he wasn't so proud about heat sinks he could have erased that guy.

Ok, silent running build time

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Is this worth getting for PS4? How much do you miss out on vs PC?

I wish I had it on PC for unlimited key binds, the ability to change the color of my HUD, and VR. Beyond that I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

Use the robust external camera suite and pretend a little?

What happens if you activate the camera suite with VR on?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

You have to learn to be okay with under a 20LY max range. The ideal scenario is finding a perfect system to keep your Corvette parked for whenever you want to fight, but otherwise fly around the galaxy with better range ships. At that point just strip the drat FSD on your ship to save money and weight.

Can you still super cruise without an fsd?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

the milk machine posted:

can someone explain how to take cool screenshots in this game? I've gotten as far as "external camera" which just rotates between views no one would want to see

There's a button that will free the camera and you can guide it around independently of your ship. On PS4 it's R3, you may have to check the key binds if you're on pc.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ha, this last week or two of parutis-medb has been totally worth it, I finally have my turret party anaconda and I am now an untouchable space pirate king. Thank you THANK YOU to the goon who posted that loop, it was pages back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rynoto posted:

People may give you poo poo for running turrets but never let that stop you from having a cup of tea while laser boat kills things for you.

Flying my little fighter around while all the lasers went off around me was something else; at one point I chased a sidewinder into a planetary ring, deployed in my fighter, and then we chased each other through the rocks while the star wars asteroid field music played in my head until he blew up.

I'll almost certainly change it up more than once, this seems like a versatile ship. I still have a few tens of millions left over, along with all my previous trading and passenger profits in the form of a few ships I fully outfitted but never used. This thing has a ridiculous number of slots, I could do anything with it. I think I'll try a run at pirating with it after I get sick of rolling through combat zones, then maybe...mining? The reptilian part of my brain is urging me to deck it out in passenger compartments, but I can't bring myself to go back to the life yet. I suppose the dream would be an engineered power plant and hyperdrive, and then deck it out like an exploration ship with teeth.

• Locked thread