Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

The FDL is the cheaper of the "high end" ships out there. You'll just have to give it a shot to see if you like it. The jump range is deplorable (13.8ly w/ a pve fit), there's no room for cargo and you sacrifice those 2 big purrdy C3 hardpoints on the Vulture for 4 C2 (medium) hardpoints and one big fuckoff hardpoint (That you don't even really have enough power to run the giant electric space penis on).

That being said, she handles like a Vulture, which is saying a lot for the larger/more expensive ships.

I've only just got my FDL, but I'm running something like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4E6A4A3C2c1b1b1b1b00000m0404024a32f40100.Iw1+gDOQ.MwBhBYy6wRm0Yg==

The giant electric space penis seems to power just fine, and this is before the buff that the powerplant will get in 1.5, with another 5MW...
(No SCBs on it right now, and I've yet to shoot anything as I'm trundling back from far away, hence the additional fuel tank)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

I can't actually open coriolis at work anymore.

What kind of shield are you running? I'm also running a single C4 SCB. :D Gotta have that shield boost.

I believe Prismatic shields also soak up more power than the traditional max sized offering and I'm running one of those as well.

C5 standard (non-green) shields and two A boosters. I've also been fiddling about a bit with having modules like extra chaff which are switched off so that I only power them on when needed (e.g. when the first chaff runs out, or when the KWS has done its thing for the current target). I guess you'll want the 5MW buff then :) Using the priority on modules it's pretty neat to have, say, the KWS disable automatically when enabling an extra chaff module.

Talking of enabling/disabling modules, is it possible to set them to a hot-key/stick button, or even using voice attack? I've only been trying this for a little while, to have a go with squeezing as much out of the available power as possible, so it might just get annoying fast anyway...

edit: Pretty much A-class everything else, including sensors (but not life support).
This is easier to set up power-wise than the Vulture from what I've tried so far.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

And the thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is that it's black.

A white hole?

edit: To keep my post on topic, was there an explanation a whole back which I can't find on how I should fly the FDL? Like I assume it's not one that's great at flying sideways to stay pointing at targets, or an I just a crappy pilot?

legooolas fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 10, 2015

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

They all weigh about half optimal mass for their thrusters, but while FAS and FdL have the same 6/10 agility rating, so quite similar maneuverability,

The FdL certainly doesn't feel as agile as the FAS to me, and it is *much* more dependent on having pips to engines to fly well (FA on at least). The FAS feels like a heavier, slightly more drifty Vulture, IMHO.

(Haven't tried the huge cannon on the FdL yet though, been messing with PAs up until now...)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

KakerMix posted:

As for the ex bone I don't know if Horizons will ever get there, Mac support died because Apple can't opengl worth a drat and while the bone isn't Apple it is quite underpowered considering.

Them making a version for the Mac but then dropping it because of the very old version of OpenGL it has makes it all the more annoying that they won't do a Linux version (which has a plenty new enough OpenGL). Bah.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Shine posted:

Wait until you get a Federal Assault Ship :getin:.

Warzones in a wing are also a good time, especially when attacking a capital ship. You can do them solo but you gotta keep an eye on the radar and be ready to run if your side loses the numbers advantage, as you'll get attacked by a bunch of perfect aim railgun boats simultaneously.

I thought it would be a good idea to solo some CZs in a 3-large-PA Python to see how it was at shootmans. Seemed pretty good, despite my terrible flying skills, and even Corvettes didn't take long to smash :D Until one decided that ramming my canopy with their giant Corvettey nose until it smashed would be fun.

(Made it to safety though, thankfully)

Good times! o7

PS: 3 PAs is too hot.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Assuming you haven't been shooting anything yet, can you fire 3 PAs and get away with it? (even if it's just one volley?)

By get away with it I mean not take heat damage.

Yeah it seems OK, but I wouldn't recommend it at Xihe as it's pretty close to the limit.
Oh and this is with a 7C rather than 7A (or 6A maybe) powerplant, so it might be easier then?

Pretty impressive alpha-strike if you can land all three :v:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

The worst part of the vulture is the jump range, and also the power use. But it's a great ship, one that I am not going to sell even when I can afford to outfit a FAS.

I have been gradually buying bigger and more expensive ships (slowly, as I don't play enough to be a space Romney yet), but just went back to the Vulture as I remembered it being great. And holy crap it feels super-nimble after flying a Python for a while :D

Separate to this, do we have a guide to Stealth somewhere? Does it work on NPCs? Good/bad example loadouts and how to git gud? (I accidentally hit silent running in the middle of a CZ and the guys attacking me instantly stopped, so I assume it works on them at least a bit..) Feel free to shout at me if it's in the OP and I'm just being too blind to see it :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

I'm not saying the Vulture is a bad ship, far from it. It's a great ship. The upsides far outweigh the couple of downsides. Of course, again, those being the maximum jump range, and the fact that you don't really have too much freedom to play with the power distribution.

Oh absolutely! They do get you to practice with your careful power management though, and especially if you are crazy and want a PA/beam combo (also requires careful heat management).

I need to fly some more different ships and a stealth DBS sounds interesting (and manoeuvrable?) but still with pretty good bite.

quote:

Clipper

I guess I should grind Imp rank to try this. I got rank for a FAS by accident just from doing random missions from time to time, so I've no idea how long it will take to get more Fed or Imp ranks.. (I'm at Chief Petty Officer and Serf or whatever it was for a Courier)

legooolas fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 19, 2016

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Rectus posted:

The stations don't care if you have illegal goods or have been killing cops all day, they'll happily let you dock unless you shoot people near them.

The cops outside the station may have a different view of you, however.

Won't the station be red (hostile) to you if the controlling faction is hostile after your killing spree? I didn't notice the colour of the station blip when I was suddenly surrounded by 50 angry flashing red cops :D

(I decided to dock elsewhere :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

froody guy posted:

Paid 100€ for the Premium Beta and it's the best money I ever spent on a videogame.

What does that give over the £35 I paid for the Lifetime Expansion Pass? I seem to get betas and all the seasons, and I only bought it because I felt bad about playing, er, "evaluation versions" of Elite: Frontier and possibly First Encounters.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

froody guy posted:

Uhm.... the game? :v:

Oh yeah, I forgot I paid for that too ^_^

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

El Grillo posted:

This is why I fly in FA-off all the time (because I'm a sperg. Ok and because it's more fun/challenging so keeps me interested)

I have been thinking about switching to fixed weapons and trying to shootmans whilst flying FA off, to increase the challenge and possibly the fun. In a Vulture to start with at least, as I'm not some kind of masochist.

(Also because any time another player decides that I need some non-consensual PvP I'm too terrible at fighting to do anything but run away :p)

Is this a terrible idea or does it have a good chance of making me less incompetent?

Edit: I have other ships, but thought that the Vulture would make this a lot easier to learn in.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Shine posted:

You meet decorated heroes (and can team up with them, or try to murder them, or maybe they'll try to murder you)

Even just basic changes like having particular unique NPCs who become friends/foes but don't appear in every single place you go to would give a bit of extra variety -- who knows when you'll bump into them somewhere in the bubble and they'll want to trade some rare goods or start shooting at you.

It does feel a lot like they're just been gradually adding in the mission types and other features from the previous Elite games, rather than coming up with new stuff.

When will reconnaissance missions (from E2:F) be added, I wonder? :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

that's pre-2.1 board skimming money! yaay

So I just tried this and the mission updated to be to a destination ~400ly away :(

On the upside it's still 6.5 million though.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Libluini posted:

I just want to say, bookmarks are the best idea Frontier had in a long time.

Absolutely.

Is there a guide for which engineer upgrades are most worthwhile for the different roles, like explorer and combat, and what you need and where from, all in one easy grind guide? I have about 10 browser tabs open on different things at the moment (and some of the giant Google doc spreadsheets really make my browser sad.)

(Or am I asking too soon after release and should just wait until someone makes a fancy website like we have for ship fitting, commodities etc?)

quote:

Open/private/solo

I'm glad that non-open exists or I'd never be able to take part in any CGs without being "helped" toward the insurance rebuy screen.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Akion posted:

Look to see a bunch of new replies.

"Oh, I bet they are having the 'Open vs. Solo' argument again".

Yep!

This is the open argument thread. There's also a solo thread which people are posting in, just no one else can see.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

The engineers actually got me to start mining. I kind of liked it!

This is next on my "haven't yet but 2.1 is telling me I should do this" list. At least there is now a reason other than money (which was easier to make (maybe?) via Robigo or $money-making-method-du-jour).

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

The problem being that there is usually no point to grind minor factions other than possible permits.

And better missions. Unlocking at least one engineer too, but that's pretty much the same as a permit.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

quote:

Grind

I think they still expect players to just wander around doing whatever and happen upon the stuff required to make $upgrades rather than actively search them out. Without the (excellent) community-made sites and spreadsheets it would be essentially impossible to get any of the rare stuff unless you are exceptionally lucky.

Although maybe I am lucky as it didn't take me more than a couple of hours to find all the stuff required for a lvl3 FSD range upgrade when I looked for them. L5 stuff I can see being a huge grind, however. Not sure I'll ever aim for any of those unless rare materials get a lot easier to find.

I've found it fun again since 2.1 but I'm not a space billionaire, and the materials searching has given me a reason to do mining, scan everything I happen to pass by, and visit more USSes and bases.

Edit: Not to say that I don't think it's grindy, but I've avoided that whenever possible by just doing what has looked fun :)

legooolas fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 23, 2016

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

..which means you're at a disadvantage against NPCs if you can stomach any sort of grinding at all.

In my so far very limited engineers experience it means that you are locking yourself out of some possibly easy upgrades on the first level engineers at least (if you use the straightforward but but quite trivial resources available so far), as well some nice screenshots from on planets of you like that sort of thing :)

Whether those upgrades are any use against PCs or NPCs remains to be seen.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

NPC encounter generation is based on your combat rank, although if one of your other ranks is higher than your combat rank, it generates higher-level NPCs than it would normally because gently caress you. So if you ground your way to a high combat rank pre-2.1, or if you have a medium-high combat rank and a high trade or exploration rank, say hello to Elite Anacondas everywhere.

So NPCs only have one rank and that affects combat prowess exclusively, along with engineer mods for them all being combat-based, but based on non-combat ratings of players? Ugh.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

a big fat bunny posted:

...between a cutter/anaconda, python/FdL, and AspE was noticeably different.

So is this also the case for RES/general bounty hunting? Sounds like it could be better to roll out the FdL for that rather than a Vulture, if the NPC ships crank up accordingly :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

What annoys me is that I can haul thousands of tons of rare goods for CG without getting interdicted once but haul a single ton of engineer commodity anywhere and bam! Elite FdL's and Anacondas out the rear end.

It would be nice if the engineer stuff either was all materials and no "real cargo", or if all the engineer commodities were available for purchase somewhere (even if really far away). Or storage. Or a player-run market. Any one of those things would be fine, IMHO.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

It would also be nice if I didn't have to buy two (2) FdL's to store my fully modded C4 multicannons because I want to try a different loadout on my Corvette :cripes:

So there is storage for components, it's just very (very) expensive.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Gort posted:

What's the best non-joystick control scheme? I've got an Xbox pad, keyboard and mouse - how can I set these up well for this game?

Use all of them at once, using your toes and nose as necessary to press extra buttons.
(Damning this game has a lot of controls to bind)

Fake edit for possible useful info: Lots of people use keyboard and mouse and say it's good, some people use pads and like that. I found keyboard and mouse OK using pretty much the default controls (I think) for a while when I first started, but got a T-flight hotas X pretty quickly because I found I got on better with a stick. Still needs more buttons though :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Wolfechu posted:

Does the tab out to set acceleration to zero thing still work? I don't really use it much.

Not as well as it used to, in my experience :(

Don't think I've changed anything else (drivers or whatever) so I'm inclined to blame a patch since I went to Sag A*.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

That's... really terrible.

Even more so on the FDL where ENG pips make a vast difference to turning ability :o

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

Keep in mind the secret Kickstarter backer forum has the most influence out of the whole community. We can't even see the level of grognard they spew.

I kicked it at the start. Did I not give them a sufficient amount of money to be able to tell then that they are wrong in the secret forum?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

To everyone complaining about NPC interdictions: don't get good. Get mines.

I thought everyone was exaggerating about mines until I got annoyed enough with the continual interdictions due to having 4t of Modular Terminals on me and switched to all mines. Ye gads! And I could only fit class 1 mines because that's all they had where I happened to be! Do it now :)

I also thought someone said that the Asp managed to hit itself with mines at some point, but I guess that got fixed as it didn't seem to be a problem for me, thankfully :)

Those getting near-insta-killed by high speed large ships, are you Elite at something and hence getting NPCs set on you with all the mods all the time or something?

Expect a nerf to mines in 3..2..1...

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Anyone have any experience with mulricannon turrets on fat ships?

Will they actually hit anything, or will i just be wasting time and resources?

(Edit: removed unrelated jabbering about gimbals)

Edit: MC turrets were OK on a Python when I tried them a while ago. Are they exponentially slower as they are on larger hardpoints, e.g Huge?

legooolas fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 18, 2016

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

orcane posted:

I simply can't get good cargo missions in Sothis/Ceos tonight, every refresh is like 6 mining missions, 2 data deliveries and one awful eg. 88 tons for 8 million delivery or a bunch of war support smuggling or "kill enemy ships" missions :argh:

I had that on Friday there too. Is it because they are at war and so the missions are skewed to that rather than shipping turds for them?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just because im bored and like to talk about my cutter:

with a good (actually over maximum due to secondaries) roll on charge enhance 5 distributor, 2x large lightweight thermal vent beam turrets on 3 pips can fire indefinitly while actively cooling the ship to a cozy 34° degrees.

Heat vent feels horribly broken, but then again so do 90% of all engineer upgrades.
I would have to test (which i wont) but i think since nobody runs chaffs in pvp ever, because nobody uses turrets in pvp ever, an all-turret all-laser all-thermal-vent build could do unlimited silent running provided your capacitor keeps up.
Which it should, since youre putting 0 pips into systems.

Surely if the weapons have thermal vents then that defeats the point of silent running, or is it a magic thermal vent which doesn't show up as a heat signature to the scanner?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

People could literally sit inside an anarchy station hatchbreaking anyone who enters or leaves.

Now that is an excellent plan.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Xae posted:

The number of components doesn't help things either.

I would love for someone to a "no grind" experiment and see how long it takes to get a ship engineered out.

What counts as no grind? I've not felt like I've been grinding and I don't have a lot of time to play but I've been playing since pretty early on and so most permits, money etc has just kinda happened. (I would have got bored and stopped long ago if it felt too much like a grind)

I did recently do more specifically to unlock Prof Palin though, as I need those dirty dirty thrusters. Was already almost allied with Sirius when I stated that, somehow :). There is no way I would have been anywhere near as effective without the many excellent guides and tools people have made, however :D (Thanks mystery internet citizens!)

Side note : I've bit done any eng mods higher than a level 3 fsd range yet, so I may come back in a couple of weeks and retract this entire post.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Chrysophylax posted:

The entire point for a lot of us, brown sea included, was to avoid having multiple ships.

Does this still apply if the 10% loss on modules comes back? Storing expensive modules then makes sense to avoid millions in costs/losses just swapping roles.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

So what is the consensus, buy military armor or not for the vulture? It seems a 4D hrp would be almost the same increase for a tiny fraction of the cost and half the weight, and while I stay here for the CG I don't need cargo or other internals.

Do both.
Plus engineer mod all the armor and HRPs.
Ram all the things.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Yeah but I need to unlock farseer, must get my Asp, go to maia, get a meta alloy, go to her, go get my Vulture and bring it there

It will take two hours I would rather use to shoot things dead

I was doing the running around between places in my Vulture to upgrade it because I'm too scared that trying to switch modules between things will lose them mid-switcharoo.
But apparently you can do this using the sell module, swap ships, buy back module on different ship. So for the PP you could run to the eng with an undersized PP on an Asp and switch it to the Vulture when you get back.

Or just do a frillion economic jumps like I did and get more explorer bonus points to hand in at the engineers when you get there :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Now just need an upgraded armor and a new power distribuitor

And dirty drives grade 5. A Vulture which does 520m/s+ is a wonderful thing :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I try to land like the millennium falcon, where I just dive down and stick the landing after pulling up at the last second.

This works every time, 60% of the time. Especially if I'm not in a gravity field :v:

I got used to flying a Vulture again and just smashing it into the pad as hard as possible to land.
I have not tried this on a high-G world yet. How much do I need to engineer my shields/boosters to smack down on the ground at ludicrous speed without exploding? :D

(Not recommended when transferring back to an ExplorAsp or Paxthon)

• Locked thread